Stock air box question... [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Stock air box question...

FastJeepSRT8
05-16-2007, 12:09 PM
I'm heading to the track Friday night so I've been mulling over whether to replace the filter in the stock air box. I was a little shoked to find a paper filter in the SRT8 since my 5.9 Limited had an oiled filter from the factory that looked just like a K&N. It will only cost me $45 I just don't see where it's going to do anything for me. My guess is it will be a waste of money so I should probably wait until I replace the whole intake with the Mopar cold air kit. Does anyone here have any thoughts on this?

cmn1
05-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Buy a K&N drop in and modify the stock box inlet to let more air in. If you really need a CAI go with the Volant.

FastJeepSRT8
05-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Buy a K&N drop in and modify the stock box inlet to let more air in. If you really need a CAI go with the Volant.

What do you like about the Volant over the Mopar? I'm guessing the Volant will cost less.

cmn1
05-16-2007, 12:37 PM
The Volant doesnt use a metal pipe which absorbs heat faster than plastic and they have a hole on the bottom for a future ram air feature. Read this http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4198

FastJeepSRT8
05-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Good reading, thanks.

cmn1
05-16-2007, 12:51 PM
http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4355

umchemeng
05-16-2007, 01:38 PM
The Volant doesnt use a metal pipe which absorbs heat faster than plastic and they have a hole on the bottom for a future ram air feature. Read this http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4198

Wow that newbie is a moron! :o

I just order my K&N drop in from amazon...
http://www.knfilters.com/search/applications.aspx?Prod=33-2233
$36 plus super saver shipping... (free) or get it faster...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062ZZQQ/103-1927403-3551843

HoustonSRT-8
05-16-2007, 03:25 PM

I believe you would be more of a newbie than he would be. :rolleyes:

EX-SVTMAN
05-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Yeah...talk about calling the kettle black.... why the name calling? All the guy is trying to do is get his question answered and that's what this forum is for....to help, not put down.

Inferno SRT8
05-16-2007, 03:34 PM
If I had to do it again ide get the Volant, the Mopar one was not well thought out.

SilveRT8
05-16-2007, 03:55 PM
I kinda like the Airaid I just installed.
Plastic inlet tube and it keeps the lower part of the stock airbox, with the snorkel and brake scoop mod.
2 minutes to return to stock for the winter months.
Claude

HoustonSRT-8
05-16-2007, 04:04 PM
I kinda like the Airaid I just installed.
Plastic inlet tube and it keeps the lower part of the stock airbox, with the snorkel and brake scoop mod.
2 minutes to return to stock for the winter months.
Claude
Why would you need to go back to stock during the winter?

SilveRT8
05-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Why would you need to go back to stock during the winter?

I dont know but I felt I did not need a Cold air intake for times it gets down to -30*, I'll leave it on next year and see.
Claude

HoustonSRT-8
05-16-2007, 09:02 PM
I dont know but I felt I did not need a Cold air intake for times it gets down to -30*, I'll leave it on next year and see.
Claude
I just didn't see a point in taking it off, regardless of wether it makes a difference or not.

06BLACKJGCSRT8
05-16-2007, 09:13 PM

I just order my K&N drop in from amazon...
http://www.knfilters.com/search/applications.aspx?Prod=33-2233
$36 plus super saver shipping... (free) or get it faster...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062ZZQQ/103-1927403-3551843

LOL...I get it...I dont think they realize your just making fun of yourself and not lashing out at someone! O well, I chuckled

FastJeepSRT8
05-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Well I just went ahead and got the K&N and dropped it in today. I checked out the snorkel as some had mentioned and agreed it needed to be modified. So I cut the right angle out of the intake tube so it would get more air directly into the box. It doesn't sound any different because I'm still using the stock box and I doubt it did anything for perfromance but hey I feel better now! :rolleyes: I guess I felt I had to do something. Curious to what some have mentioned here about the metal tubes absorbing more heat. Never heard that before. It sounds plausable is there any truth to it? I probably will eventually go with the CAI. The result on my 5.9L was mostly better throttle response and it sounded real cool. The SRT may respond completely different to the same mod that's why I posted here for some feedback from those who have done it. Thanks for the responses so far.

FastJeepSRT8
05-16-2007, 09:22 PM
If I had to do it again ide get the Volant, the Mopar one was not well thought out.

In what way? Curious 'cause I'm leaning towards the Mopar.

UAE
05-16-2007, 11:40 PM
I didn't try it yet on my GC but drop in filter show me .2 diff on my old ML55 thats why i'm thinking to add it to my GC, stock looking with good power.

cmn1
05-17-2007, 06:18 AM
In what way? Curious 'cause I'm leaning towards the Mopar.
read and look at this thread. http://www.***********/forums/showthread.php?t=8783

OurZoo
05-17-2007, 07:47 AM
Good for six ponies. A search for drop in or K&N would have yielded the thread in the first place. It's definitely a good bang for your buck mod which also would have yielded a correct thread.

jlandbl
05-17-2007, 07:58 AM
This set up is interesting. Please don't bash me for who set it up but it looks like it could be very effective. Looks completely sealed off from the engine bay + still uses the stock intake which is good for heat.

umchemeng
05-17-2007, 08:21 AM
Yeah...talk about calling the kettle black.... why the name calling? All the guy is trying to do is get his question answered and that's what this forum is for....to help, not put down.

Apologies, I was actually talking about the Newbie in the referenced post (i.e. Me) I was only talking about myelf and no one else. My apologies for any confusion.

umchemeng
05-17-2007, 08:24 AM
LOL...I get it...I dont think they realize your just making fun of yourself and not lashing out at someone! O well, I chuckled

Thank you!
See the above apology to those who didn't get it. :)

HoustonSRT-8
05-17-2007, 08:57 AM
Thank you!
See the above apology to those who didn't get it. :)
And I apologize for misunderstanding. :)

FastJeepSRT8
05-17-2007, 12:04 PM
This set up is interesting. Please don't bash me for who set it up but it looks like it could be very effective. Looks completely sealed off from the engine bay + still uses the stock intake which is good for heat.

Isn't that the Hennesey set up? Just kidding. ;) It looks easy enough to do but I'm having a hard time telling what they did with the PCV. It looks like it's just sitting there. In the stock set up it goes into the airbox.

jlandbl
05-17-2007, 02:32 PM
It looks easy enough to do but I'm having a hard time telling what they did with the PCV. It looks like it's just sitting there. In the stock set up it goes into the airbox.

Agree. I think it's a really good design. It mixes the best of both worlds (i.e. stock intake + big cone filter/sealed off).

FastJeepSRT8
05-17-2007, 11:34 PM
I may save myself some money and try this. I wonder if it would be possible to pick up just the heat sheild from say Mopar or another mfg and a cone filter to try this. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to fabricate the heat sheild but I like to keep things simple. I have one concern though with the stock intake hose and that's that it isn't smooth. I know K&N claims the smoother tube provides better flow than the stock "accordian" style intakes on most vehicles. It certainly couldn't hurt to try.

SRedrockT8
05-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Isn't that the Hennesey set up? Just kidding. ;) It looks easy enough to do but I'm having a hard time telling what they did with the PCV. It looks like it's just sitting there. In the stock set up it goes into the airbox.

keen eye, good catch.

actually the pcv is the shorter black rubber hose that connects right after the throttle body.

the hose you're referring to is the crankcase breather tube. that tube is supposed to draw clean filtered air into the crankcase. they way it's set up in that pic is wrong and should be changed. its drawing unfiltered dirty air into the crankcase. if you look at the stock air box you will notice the tube connects after the filter not before.

a small cone shaped crankcase breather filter (purchased at any autozone or equivalent) installed at the oil filler could replace the tube & all would be good.

SRedrockT8
05-18-2007, 09:32 PM
I may save myself some money and try this. I wonder if it would be possible to pick up just the heat sheild from say Mopar or another mfg and a cone filter to try this. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to fabricate the heat sheild but I like to keep things simple. I have one concern though with the stock intake hose and that's that it isn't smooth. I know K&N claims the smoother tube provides better flow than the stock "accordian" style intakes on most vehicles. It certainly couldn't hurt to try.

except for that small accordian ribbed section the stock air tube is smooth inside.