2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Review: First Drive [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Review: First Drive

Administrator
06-25-2010, 10:27 AM
http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/d/207423-5/JP011_054GC.jpg

Chrysler has encountered more than a few obstacles over the past two years, but the automaker's biggest challenge remains its own survival. In order to survive—and thrive—the company is going to need to prove that its products can be class-competitive. If the products on hand can't lure buyers into showrooms, then the Chrysler/Fiat alliance is doomed.

Thanks to the bankruptcy and a federal government bailout, plus the aforementioned alliance with Fiat, Chrysler has a clean slate with which to start from. However, the very public nature of the company's fall into and climb out of bankruptcy means that all eyes are watching as it brings new product to market.

Imagine then, the pressure on Chrysler's Jeep division. It has the distinction of launching the company's first post-bankruptcy product: The 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While it's important to note that a redesigned Grand Cherokee was in development long before Chrysler entered bankruptcy—the 2011 Grand Cherokee was first previewed at the 2009 New York Auto Show, a month or so before Chrysler began bankruptcy proceedings—there's no denying that both the automotive industry and the general public have been waiting to see what kind of job Jeep has done with the big SUV.

The pressure on Jeep isn't just from those who want a return on the investment from the American taxpayers. Other interested parties include Chrysler's dealer network, which is desperate for a new, strong mainstream product not named "Ram," the ever-curious and ever-insatiable automotive press and, of course, the mid-size SUV buyer.

More: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Review: First Drive (http://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/jeep/2011-jeep-grand-cherokee-review-first-drive-1372.html) on Au

calgary.srt8
06-25-2010, 11:39 AM
A quote from the article: "Chrysler demurred when asked about an SRT8 version, saying only that it’s a possibility given the independent coil-over-spring front suspension (the rear uses a multilink setup), but quite frankly, in terms of straight-line power, it may not be needed."

Seriously, do guys that write about the JGC and SRT8 only drive Yugo??? I don't get it (thinking back to the older article about SRT8 and hillbillies). You don't buy an SRT8 because you NEED it :D

navyavi469
06-25-2010, 01:01 PM
I despise american automotive journalists... they're about as interesting as a box of rusty nails when it comes to a car's true potential. Most of the time, they're so bought-and-paid-for by whatever car company that is sponsoring their magazine, tv show, or online column, that there's a ridiculous amount of bias that comes out.

I'd much rather watch a few english blokes beat on stuff around a closed track then make funny jokes about its performance.

tech5621
06-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Sat in a '11 Overland today at the Jeep dealership in Golden, CO. The overall fit and finish on it was fantastic. Leg room was amazing in the backseat and it had the illusion of being a much bigger vehicle than it is. The 5.7L engine bay was pretty nice although the service guys couldn't find the battery in the thing! It looks like they have relocated it to the rear or something, only thing visible was the positive terminal near the firewall. I asked to take it for a test drive and of course they immediately declined, must've saw the SRT8 I stepped out of and got worried. :)