The 6200 rpm shift "farts" are GONE!!! [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: The 6200 rpm shift "farts" are GONE!!!

BuilderBill
05-15-2007, 11:44 AM
I installed the Stage II B&G PCM that raises the rev limiter and guess what:
as we suspected the hesitation and "farts" are gone.I swear that this has GOT to be worth at least a tenth or two where the engine does not "shut off" at our 6,200 rpm. shifts. This is a NEW beast, exactly what the good General has recently stated after his Stage II install. Damn the Hemi pulls strong on the shifts now.

Bad news now is I need to have the dealer replace the re-flashed TCM with my original TCM. As you remember the TCM re-flash lowered the 1-2 shift rpm down to 5,800 rpm.

Anyone changed out their own TCM??? My dealer said it was very involved inside the dash and you need to drop the steering column to access the thing.

Really, if my Hemi would have run this way out of the factory, I don't think I would have been doing this many mods.....oh hell I would too!

Happy Builder Bill

PS. I do also like the fans coming on a little earlier, but, with the stock cam I don't like to idle at 800 rpm, it feeling like I need to ride the brakes.

slow91
05-15-2007, 11:56 AM
as we suspected the hesitation and "farts" are gone.I swear that this has GOT to be worth at least a tenth or two where the engine does not "shut off" at our 6,200 rpm. shifts. This is a NEW beast, exactly what the good General has recently stated after his Stage II install. Damn the Hemi pulls strong on the shifts now.

Bad news now is I need to have the dealer replace the re-flashed TCM with my original TCM. As you remember the TCM re-flash lowered the 1-2 shift rpm down to 5,800 rpm.

Anyone changed out their own TCM??? My dealer said it was very involved inside the dash and you need to drop the steering column to access the thing.

Really, if my Hemi would have run this way out of the factory, I don't think I would have been doing this many mods.....oh hell I would too!

Happy Builder Bill

PS. I do also like the fans coming on a little earlier, but, with the stock cam I don't like to idle at 800 rpm, it feeling like I need to ride the brakes.

Great news.....

Does anyone know if it's possible to have a lower setting for the idle RPM...

.....then have it changed if you do the H/C upgrade later??

cobrakid
05-15-2007, 11:57 AM
.....Bill that is great.

I have an inside track on handheld new tuner, so I am waiting, but it
would be so lovely to have the trucks shift hard, and correctly.

I don't understand myself, why they mess with the idle??????

glad your truck is running stronger, thanks again for the informative posts.

BuilderBill
05-15-2007, 12:12 PM
.....Bill that is great.

I have an inside track on handheld new tuner, so I am waiting, but it
would be so lovely to have the trucks shift hard, and correctly.

I don't understand myself, why they mess with the idle??????

glad your truck is running stronger, thanks again for the informative posts.
The idle is a variable that B&G can change. It typically is raised when a big cam is installed just to keep the thing running and provide vacuum at idle.
I believe you could talk to Dave at B&G ( I went direct with him) and tell him a Stage II with stock idle (650 rpm if I remember).

The Hemi really pulls hard on the WOT shifts!
Bill

slow91
05-15-2007, 12:44 PM
The idle is a variable that B&G can change. It typically is raised when a big cam is installed just to keep the thing running and provide vacuum at idle.
I believe you could talk to Dave at B&G ( I went direct with him) and tell him a Stage II with stock idle (650 rpm if I remember).

The Hemi really pulls hard on the WOT shifts!
Bill

Thanks Bill.

Inferno SRT8
05-15-2007, 01:18 PM
My 1-2 shifts are at 5955, I still ran high 12's last time at Etown, now with the B&G we will see this weekend. Im going to leave mine alone for now, if its not broken im not fixing it!

FastSRT8GC
05-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Great news Bill, Why dont you drive on down and we can work on your TCM!

I can not wait to drive my jeep again!!! My only problem will be too many mods at once!!! I wont be able to tell what did what.

SRT-8RAT
05-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Did the B&G raise the 1-2 shift to 6200 rpm?
Cause mine is 5800 stock.

Would it be worth it with just an intake and exhaust?

Thanks,
Rich

BuilderBill
05-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Did the B&G raise the 1-2 shift to 6200 rpm?
Cause mine is 5800 stock.

Would it be worth it with just an intake and exhaust?

Thanks,
Rich Rich,
The 5800 shift is cause by the latest rev "AG" to the TCM (NOT THE PCM). The older versions shifted at 6000rpm, completed by 6,200 rpm.

It may not be worth it for you since at 5,800rpm you don't hit the rev. limiter. Unless, you purchase a aftermarket TCM like General from GSM that will have a higher shift point than 5,800 rpm. Right there though you are into it $1500 - $ 2,000.

Bill

06BLACKJGCSRT8
05-15-2007, 03:53 PM
I have an 06 and it used to do the "fart" thing when it shifted, but after having the TCM re-flashed per the TSB it does not do that anymore. Does this mean that everything is all good with my jeep?

Inferno SRT8
05-15-2007, 04:17 PM
I have an 06 and it used to do the "fart" thing when it shifted, but after having the TCM re-flashed per the TSB it does not do that anymore. Does this mean that everything is all good with my jeep?

Your good to go now.

BTW anyone who has had there TCM flashed CANNOT go back to the previous version, thats right off the TSB bulletin.

Blown7
05-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Bill,
What build date do you have ?
I've been ripping on mine for a couple weeks with a build date of 2/07 and even last nite I ran it down the runway to 150 MPH and it shifted from what I could tell about 6100 by the tach.
I don't notice any lag between shifts.

Jeff

Blown7
05-15-2007, 04:29 PM
BTW it's nice having my own personal test track where I have my business.:D

generalconfusion
05-15-2007, 05:31 PM

Happy Builder Bill

Excellent......I know this thing has been controversial but I think B&G has finally got it straight for the Jeep..........with the GSM TCM it will raise the shift point to 6100 and it also seems to allows for much more aggressive manual downshifts.

If you remove the panel under the steering column and reach up against the firewall you will see the TCM. We were at the races when Scott switched mine......took him all of 10 minutes!

BuilderBill
05-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Excellent......I know this thing has been controversial but I think B&G has finally got it straight for the Jeep..........with the GSM TCM it will raise the shift point to 6100 and it also seems to allows for much more aggressive manual downshifts.

If you remove the panel under the steering column and reach up against the firewall you will see the TCM. We were at the races when Scott switched mine......took him all of 10 minutes!
General...thanks for the TCM install info.
I will put my original TCM back in myself. I was charged about 4 hours of labor at the dealer!!!

Controversial yes, I'm not sure this lower ET producer would ever show up on a dyno, but, General, I'm with you...this is a MUST do!
Bill

BuilderBill
05-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Bill,
What build date do you have ?
I've been ripping on mine for a couple weeks with a build date of 2/07 and even last nite I ran it down the runway to 150 MPH and it shifted from what I could tell about 6100 by the tach.
I don't notice any lag between shifts.

Jeff
Jeff,
I believe we have 2 different animals...mine was a VERY early build '07 (August). You most likely have an "AG" revision TCM.
No lag is a GOOD thing!
Bill

BuilderBill
05-15-2007, 06:11 PM
BTW it's nice having my own personal test track where I have my business.:D

Jeff....a runway would be nice!!
Bill