corsa Vs borla [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: corsa Vs borla

srt8dxb
05-14-2007, 09:20 AM
i am new to the site and i just got my srt8 which is amazing... i want to put on an exhaust that sounds good and preforms well... the 2 i have in mind are borla and corsa and i dont know which is better in preformance... and if there is anything better on the market please let me know..... thanks

Go~RillaWRX
05-14-2007, 09:57 AM
I dont think the dyno numbers are out on the borla yet. But so far, people are nto seeing much HP increase from just a catback. The corsa is just like the mopar and is the quietest from what I have read. The Borla that is out now is very very loud, like check your local laws loud. The corsa looks pretty much like stock, the borla comes w/ massive round tips and looks bad ass. If you dont mind loud, i say get the borla. Both systems sound awesome and probably perform equally, one is quite, one is loud. These two systems and the Stainless Works have been touted as the best on the market. So make your decision, take some pics and video, and share with us. ;)

SRT8
05-14-2007, 10:36 AM
http://www.corsaperf.com/grand_cherokee.htm
The Mopar/Corsa is louder than stock at all RPM's. It's moderatly tame when easing into the throttle, but while accerating/WOT/downshifting it's an animal. It's not obnoxiuos/raspy, but very "tuned". I listened to all the sound clips & to me it actually seemed louder/better sounding than the others(no Borla at that time). I like the design/construction of the Coras too. Borla is the only system that appears to be constructed of similar quality to the Corsa. IMO. Mopar/Corsa gained ~20hp in other post. Any Borla sound clip yet?

SRT8Bob
05-14-2007, 11:18 AM
http://www.corsaperf.com/grand_cherokee.htm
The Mopar/Corsa is louder than stock at all RPM's. It's moderatly tame when easing into the throttle, but while accerating/WOT/downshifting it's an animal. It's not obnoxiuos/raspy, but very "tuned". I listened to all the sound clips & to me it actually seemed louder/better sounding than the others(no Borla at that time). I like the design/construction of the Coras too. Borla is the only system that appears to be constructed of similar quality to the Corsa. IMO. Mopar/Corsa gained ~20hp in other post. Any Borla sound clip yet?

While I don't have experience directly with the SRT8 exhaust, I do on ZR-1 Corvettes. I have tested five different systems on my car and have been involved with exhaust system development with an experienced local tuner. I have run a Corsa system for about 8 years now. The Corvette Corsa system is a straight through system (you can look through the mufflers and resonator) that uses a frequency cancellation method (know as Helmholtz resonators) for defeating droning or resonance. Other system's mufflers generally use baffles of some sort. While the CORSA is therefore quite loud at WOT, under light load it is quite tolerable and does not have any resonance or droning that some systems produce.
My knowledge of the testing hundreds of ZR-1s with all different exhaust systems is that the Corsa delivers the most horsepower increase on these cars of all systems, even with only 2-1/2" pipes. (ZR-1 engines need a little backpressure to make good power). On the ZR-1 the Corsa is good for about 15-17 HP at the crank. If you are planning to install it yourself, my personal experience is that while Borla may produce better systems than it did several years ago, I never found a Borla system that fit together easily, whereas Corsa went together perfectly every time.
Perhaps someone who has installed Corsas on the SRT8 could comment on whether the Corsa is a straight through system for the Jeep and how well they install.-Bob

SRT8
05-15-2007, 09:45 AM
Bob, from the looks of the mufflers/resonators, I believe they are of straight threw design. It took my dealer way too long to put the system on, I don't think the souped/lubed the rubber hangers. They did not complain about fit.

generalconfusion
05-15-2007, 11:55 AM
But so far, people are nto seeing much HP increase from just a catback. The corsa is just like the mopar and is the quietest from what I have read. The Borla that is out now is very very loud, like check your local laws loud. The corsa looks pretty much like stock, the borla comes w/ massive round tips and looks bad ass. If you dont mind loud, i say get the borla. Both systems sound awesome and probably perform equally, one is quite, one is loud.

I have to disagree just two points. First of all their is a midrange gain with the Mopar/Corsa over the stock system. Depending on what you read their is a modest track gain as well. The system was designed by Mopar to work with the Hemi and is designed to support up to 800hp.

Second it does not even remotely resemble the stock system. It has an X-Pipe prior and the front mufflers are completely flow through as are the resonators.

I would say that the Mopar/Corsa would be quieter and actually has no in cabin drone.

gafettaia
05-15-2007, 01:13 PM
If you want a better or different look, just buy the tips, any manufacturer as long as it is the same diameter. HP gains ??, none that you will feel by the seat of your pants. If interior resonance will bother you, you will be sick of an aftermarket system after 1/2 hour on the freeway at 70 mph.

HoustonSRT-8
05-15-2007, 01:36 PM
If you want a better or different look, just buy the tips, any manufacturer as long as it is the same diameter. HP gains ??, none that you will feel by the seat of your pants. If interior resonance will bother you, you will be sick of an aftermarket system after 1/2 hour on the freeway at 70 mph.
Seeing as how the tips are welded on and not removeable, that would pose a small problem.

Also, most people buy cat-backs for sound, not looks.

gafettaia
05-15-2007, 01:47 PM
I forgot to mention that you need to cut off the exhaust tips and have the new tips welded on. Any local muffler shop will do it. (We have two custom shops here in the area). Some shops also have their own tips that they sell. I purchased a Borla system for my Lightning and I did not like the tips so I bought new tips and had them installed.

FFSP
05-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Love my Corsa. Installed it by myself on my garage floor. Sounds great with no interior drone. Feels like it gained a little power or maybe it's just the sound of it.:D

I've got a Borla stinger cat-back on my 03 and love the way it sounds. It is pretty loud, even with the stock midpipe.

Don't think you could go wrong with either one.

generalconfusion
05-16-2007, 02:41 AM

The Mopar/Corsa HAS NO INTERIOR RESONANACE!!

Mopar/Corsa vs Stock dyno performed by XS Engineering.......an independent "ricer" dyno tune shop.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/sgtstanko/aguilarcorsa1.jpg

danman_s
05-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Anyone know how the Corsa would sound with the central mufflers removed while leaving the Xpipe and the Resonators intact?

I was at my local road course last night and the jeep just wasn't loud enough for my tastes compared to the Z06 vettes and cobra 'stangs. I love if it would really rumble at idle and would be interested in taking the mufflers off to get that.

Other than that, love the Corsa. It has an amazing tone!

SRT8Bob
05-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Anyone know how the Corsa would sound with the central mufflers removed while leaving the Xpipe and the Resonators intact?

As I said earlier, my exhaiust experience is mostly with my ZR-1, but I do know that the ZR-1 and other Corvettes have heavy resonance under load at two rpm points, in the case of the ZR-1 at 1,800 and 3,400 rpm, that correspond to specific frequencies (120 and 225 Hz I think). On the Corvette Corsa systems, the resonator (which corresponds to Jeep's "center mufflers") is specifically tuned to deal with one resonance frequency, while the rear mufflers deal with the other. So if the Jeep system is of a similar design, dealing with multiple resonance points, then removing the center mufflers woud probably produce resonance or droning at some rpm point. A number of Zr-1 owners did this and some regretted it. Maybe someone on this forum has done so on the SRT8 and could comment.--Bob

HoustonSRT-8
05-16-2007, 02:17 PM
If you want to go louder, get headers from Stainless Works or Kooks.

As I said earlier, my exhaiust experience is mostly with my ZR-1, but I do know that the ZR-1 and other Corvettes have heavy resonance under load at two rpm points, in the case of the ZR-1 at 1,800 and 3,400 rpm, that correspond to specific frequencies (120 and 225 Hz I think). On the Corvette Corsa systems, the resonator (which corresponds to Jeep's "center mufflers") is specifically tuned to deal with one resonance frequency, while the rear mufflers deal with the other. So if the Jeep system is of a similar design, dealing with multiple resonance points, then removing the center mufflers woud probably produce resonance or droning at some rpm point. A number of Zr-1 owners did this and some regretted it. Maybe someone on this forum has done so on the SRT8 and could comment.--Bob
You're comparing apples to oranges.

hound
05-17-2007, 10:11 PM
What size of pipe is the stock system and what size is the Corsa?

SRedrockT8
05-17-2007, 10:39 PM
What size of pipe is the stock system and what size is the Corsa?

both are 2.75" but the corsa has an x pipe, less restrictive mufflers & resonators, and less bends. it sounds bad ass when stepped on.:D

umchemeng
06-04-2007, 10:21 PM
I want to revive this thread now that people are getting their Borla's installed... I understand that the Borla is louder. I also undertand that there is probably no difference in performance etween the two.

Any complaints on the fit of the borla system (except peraps the tips stick out a little further)?

Any one get a decible meter or some numbers re: how loud they are? I know the corsa site says under 95db.

Just wanting to make a decision between the two...
I guess I need to figure out my preferences on how loud I want to be.

Derwood98
06-04-2007, 10:24 PM
IMHO, the Borla installs flawlessly in about 30 minutes. I have to say that it was perfectly engineered. As far as loudness, I have not heard any others. It is substantially louder then the stock exhause. But NICE!! :D

SRT8UUP
06-05-2007, 07:33 AM
Well I had the Borla Stinger on my '03 Cobra as well, and it was a wicked sounding exhaust. I actually used to get complements from Harley motorcycle guys about how bad ass the car sounded. If the Jeep Borla is anything compared to the Cobra Borla, that is one sweet exhaust system. Well now that I am 31, I am not all that sure if I want the loudest SUV on the planet. Leaning towards the Mopar/Corsa right now....

OurZoo
06-05-2007, 09:15 AM
36 going on 20 something and I wanted a badazz sound.

Mopower
06-05-2007, 09:45 AM
I have the Corsa system and it is plenty loud enough for me. It sounds great when romping on it around town. I find that at about 120-140km (74-86) there is a definite drone that can get tiresome pretty quick. Unfortunately, this is my cruising speed on the highway. I am thinking of installing some sound deadener to try and leesen it a bit.

If you are thinking of installing an aftermarket hitch the Corsa will make it much tougher as there is no room. I understand some people have been able to install a hitch with the Borla system.

SRT8
06-05-2007, 05:31 PM
There is a difference in the tips, the Corsa's are double wall & stick out a bit farther w/a little mare of an angle cut. The Borla's may be a little bigger around, but are only single wall. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hemi@last
06-05-2007, 07:38 PM
I want to revive this thread now that people are getting their Borla's installed... I understand that the Borla is louder. I also undertand that there is probably no difference in performance etween the two.

Any complaints on the fit of the borla system (except peraps the tips stick out a little further)?

Any one get a decible meter or some numbers re: how loud they are? I know the corsa site says under 95db.

Just wanting to make a decision between the two...
I guess I need to figure out my preferences on how loud I want to be.

I believe the Borla db values are 89 db for the T (touring) and 98 db for the S type.

Not sure what Corsa is.

You may wish to check your state laws for max db allowed.

generalconfusion
06-06-2007, 12:36 AM
I have the Corsa system and it is plenty loud enough for me. It sounds great when romping on it around town. I find that at about 120-140km (74-86) there is a definite drone that can get tiresome pretty quick. Unfortunately, this is my cruising speed on the highway. I am thinking of installing some sound deadener to try and leesen it a bit.

If you are thinking of installing an aftermarket hitch the Corsa will make it much tougher as there is no room. I understand some people have been able to install a hitch with the Borla system.

I like the Borla from what I have seen and heard at Fontana and Irwindale, excellent quality and great authorative sound...... however with all due respect.... without headers, the Corsa is definetly quieter than the Borla. I have been behind the Borla on the freeway on two occassion for about 12 miles per trip and have heard the Borla go down the track. Also...are you kidding???, with two 5" tips there isnt much room left in the valance for a hitch!

I have NEVER experience drone with the Corsa... as a matter of fact most that have Corsa state they are almost quieter than stock. Even with the Kooks LT and Corsa I have absolutely no drone! Engine roar.......engine sound.....yes...... but not any drone and I drive 37 miles one way to work on the freeway Monday thru Friday.

generalconfusion
06-06-2007, 01:45 AM
Since this thread is a comparison.......you can finally hear the Borla as I get further down the track.......mine is the Silver (AutoClub Lane) with those ole Corsa's and the beautiful Black Jeep has the Borla's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj5wrs4CorI

Ole Corsa's at top speed.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W-yWmZp5EQ