Chrysler To Build 8-Speed Automatics In Indiana [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Chrysler To Build 8-Speed Automatics In Indiana

Administrator
06-09-2010, 04:18 PM
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/zf8speed-400x302.jpg

Chrysler will build a licensed version of a ZF 8-speed automatic gearbox at their Indiana transmission plant. Production is expected to start in 2013, and retain roughly 1,200 jobs.

The total cost for the project will be roughly $300 million, but Chrysler Senior VP of Powertrain Paolo Ferrero said that the new 8-speed transmission will lead to a 25 percent increase in fuel economy. With a new Chrysler 300C and Dodge Charger due in 2011, the 8-speed automatic's debut in 2013 would be perfect for a mid-cycle refresh, however another Chrysler spokesman said that the gearboxes would be imported prior to their domestic production, meaning that it could launch with the new vehicles from the get-go.

The 8-speed automatic could also see use in the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Ram pickups. The transmission saw its first application in BMW's 5-Series Gran Turismo and BMW 760Li.

More: Chrysler To Build 8-Speed Automatics In Indiana (http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2010/06/chrysler-to-build-8-speed-automatics-in-indiana.html) on AutoGuide.com

navyavi469
06-09-2010, 06:40 PM
The last thing we need is to shift 5 times before trapping.

pjs1965
06-09-2010, 06:48 PM
IDK -- it's possible we'll only shift 1 extra time. Really depends on the gearing right? If 7/8 are more for MPGs . . . Time for some research on the current BMW models ;)

pjs1965
06-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Found this one so far: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/zf_s_8-speed_automatic_transmission-tech_dept

Joe Las Vegas
09-20-2010, 09:25 PM
According to http://www.wkjeeps.com/future_jeeps.htm#12GRAND, it will be a dual clutch trans, I hope it will awesome like the DSG with paddle shifters.

Harrison@Stage6
09-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Well, everyone is going to HATE this tranny if it's anything like the ZF 6 Speed in my Wife's Audi Q7 4.2L. It's horrible as far as shifting. It's upshifts are slow and sluggish. Downshifting takes forever. There's like a 1-2 pause between shifts at WOT. Driving around town normally shifts silky smooth though but WOT throttle shifting is lame! I sure hope they can tune that thing better then their 6 speed. I'll try and get a video of her ride and the shifting. It'll be enough to scare you into keeping your current SRT8.:mad:

mustbf8
09-20-2010, 10:26 PM
If it's a dual clutch, it should be a lot better! It's not like our 5 speeds are awesome right now...I'll take the extra MPG's with the improvements of a dual clutch.

KINGMONKEY
09-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Joe
That's very interesting.

Jeff

MJC
09-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Your wife's audi is tuned for comfort. There's a reason why Nissan put a dual clutch in the GTR. It has a lot more capabilities than a standard automatic and a traditional manual.

I'm sure SRT won't leave you with a sluggish feeling ride. Did everyone forget how smart those engineers are?

Harrison@Stage6
09-21-2010, 02:37 PM
This thing shifts just like my wife's. You can run the Q7 in Sport mode and it speeds things up but still not as fast as my Jeep shifts. I'm just saying..... I hope it shifts better than their 6 speed Audi trannys. If not, I won't be happy as many others as well. There's a lag in the shifting when it engages gears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBkX8GS5FoY

kmitch80
09-21-2010, 03:07 PM
idk but i think an 8 speed tranny with dual clutchs would only make our rigs that much faster in the 1/4 a better more achievable top speed and possibly 20+ mpg. If the new srt8 gets the 6.4 as said, it's gonna drink even more gas than our 6.1's. I'm sure once the Diablosport guys get theirs hands on it, they'll have a tune to customize the shifts points just like now anyway. Honestly, i wish they would make the new tranny an easy swap in our current jeeps. I dont care for the new model much, well at least the back of it anyway. Guess we'll see in a year or 2 what happens.

Harrison@Stage6
09-21-2010, 03:09 PM
idk but i think an 8 speed tranny with dual clutchs would only make our rigs that much faster in the 1/4 a better more achievable top speed and possibly 20+ mpg. If the new srt8 gets the 6.4 as said, it's gonna drink even more gas than our 6.1's. I'm sure once the Diablosport guys get theirs hands on it, they'll have a tune to customize the shifts points just like now anyway. Honestly, i wish they would make the new tranny an easy swap in our current jeeps. I dont care for the new model much, well at least the back of it anyway. Guess we'll see in a year or 2 what happens.

You sadly can not adjust shift points in the Jeep with a Diablo.

kmitch80
09-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Yes that does suck big hairy ***** but i was referring to a cutom tune.

You sadly can not adjust shift points in the Jeep with a Diablo.

Harrison@Stage6
09-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Custom tunes can't change shift points either. They can change line pressures. You need to buy an aftermarket TCM to change shift points.

robjeep
09-21-2010, 04:27 PM
I just wonder if the new SRT will have real all-wheel drive. Or maybe at least a limited slip rear end.