CAI vs. Drop In [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: CAI vs. Drop In

umchemeng
05-07-2007, 11:26 AM
NEWBIE QUESTION AGAIN!!!

Ok, is ther any benefit to do both a CAI and a K&N Drop in? Is this just a waste of $40 for the drop in?

I am prety sold on the the Volant CAI, but I am also considering getting a K&N drop in if it will add a little more performance.

OurZoo
05-07-2007, 11:35 AM
I think the consensus is if you are gonna do a drop in, do K&N. If you are going to do CAI, then Volant. There are posted dyno results that you gain about 12 horsies with the drop in and snorkel mod. I have yet to see anyone post numbers with a before and after solet based on the Volant.

umchemeng
05-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Well I am pretty automotively challenged.. I would need to see detailed instructions (with pictures) on the snorkel mods. I think a CAI would be an easier choice for me.

From what I've read, it sounds like the Snorkel mod costs about $60 and does the same thing as a CAI.

Another few newbie questionsn if you dont mind looking at your signature/configuration.

Is a 180 deg thermostat fine for day to day driving? Or mostly for hot track days?

umchemeng
05-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Wow,
I am a newbie moron...

So... You can't have a drop in and a CAI right, because the stock air filter housing is replaced by the CAI...

Right?

I apologize for how non-automotive I am. I am trying to learn.
Is there a way to remove this post :)

squigmang
05-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Wow,
I am a newbie moron...

So... You can't have a drop in and a CAI right, because the stock air filter housing is replaced by the CAI...

Right?

I apologize for how non-automotive I am. I am trying to learn.
Is there a way to remove this post :)

drop in OR CAI
not both
dont worry its how we all learn

cobrakid
05-07-2007, 01:13 PM
....do the K&N.....

snorkel mod is free.

take your grill out, by removing the 6 or so button push in fasteners.

the snorkel is on the pass side near the headlight.

notice how it makes a 90* turn to inhale air parallel to the grill plane/radiator?

pull out/un snap the snorkel.

carefully mark and cut off the angle part, so it's opening is straight ahead,
gobbling incoming air straight through the grill. cost $0 as long as you
have a hack saw.

the duct mod, will cost you a little, but it is basically cutting the brake cooling
scoops, and re-routing them to the cup that you can remove at the bottom
of the factory airbox.

The air "kits" do add a little bling, but the gains over a factory modded airbox
are almost nil. Some airkits "per SRT" actually lose hp?????

goodluck.

OurZoo
05-07-2007, 02:16 PM
I just pulled out the dremel and did it freestyle without even removing the snorkel. :D

umchemeng
05-07-2007, 02:31 PM
So is rain or moisture an issue going in through the front grill after this mod? Im a daily driver in the SRT8

Derwood98
05-07-2007, 07:31 PM
I just put in a Volant CAI and I really cannot tell a difference HP wise, but it sure make a nice new GROWL from under the hood. Worth the $300 in my opinion.

synoil
05-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Same here with my DUB. Great growl, can't tell much difference
in power. After consideration I feel that the stainless intake
tube is probably more prone to heat sink than the stock unit.
Been thinking of painting it black or use some sort of tape or
just leaving it alone as I enjoy the motor sound more now.
Craig

HoustonSRT-8
05-08-2007, 10:55 AM
I just pulled out the dremel and did it freestyle without even removing the snorkel. :D
Same here. :D

OurZoo
05-08-2007, 07:40 PM
That was a much cleaner reply than I expected from you Houson! :)

kramsay1234
05-08-2007, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of that freestyle action. I have a dremel, but have yet to do this mod.

OurZoo
05-08-2007, 11:32 PM
I didn't take any pics, but I could this upcoming weekend if ya want.

awdrocks
05-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Same here. :D

Same... I just dropped in a K&N and cut a 4'' hole at the bottom of my stock airbox, ran a 4'' tube down and then 90* out to the front of a "dremeled" front air vent. Done and dusted.

Jred22
05-17-2007, 01:39 AM
Where is a good place to buy the Volant??

teda
05-17-2007, 05:07 AM
Where is a good place to buy the Volant??

Did you miss this?.....Edwin is a great guy, and a very friendly forum vender. Give him a shout.

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4355