Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

My IAT Sensor Relocation

8K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  JTSRT 
#1 ·
I relocated my IAT sensor into the filter compartment, it doesnt get the heatsoak as bad now, next I have to seal the filter compartment fully from the engine heat, thats my next project.

I sealed the existing IAT hole with a bumper grommet I found around my garage, you can buy on in autozone, pep boys etc. I hole sawed a new hole 7/8" for the new IAT sensor location. I ran all the wire in a plastic wiring troft like the OEM ones you see all over the engine bay and it all looks like the factory did it because im that anal.

The temperatures im seeing now are much lower and closer to the ambient temperature, while standing still now the heatsoak is cut atleast by 50% once I seal the filter section I should have that up around 80 to 90%, Pics can be seen at the link below.

http://www.srt8oc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8783

#2 ·
Inferno SRT8 said:
I relocated my IAT sensor into the filter compartment, it doesnt get the heatsoak as bad now, next I have to seal the filter compartment fully from the engine heat, thats my next project.

I sealed the existing IAT hole with a bumper grommet I found around my garage, you can buy on in autozone, pep boys etc. I hole sawed a new hole 7/8" for the new IAT sensor location. I ran all the wire in a plastic wiring troft like the OEM ones you see all over the engine bay and it all looks like the factory did it because im that anal.

The temperatures im seeing now are much lower and closer to the ambient temperature, while standing still now the heatsoak is cut atleast by 50% once I seal the filter section I should have that up around 80 to 90%, Pics can be seen at the link below.

http://www.srt8oc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8783
EXCELLENT!! Let us know how it runs.

#3 ·
generalconfusion said:
EXCELLENT!! Let us know how it runs.

Steve its running alot better then it was before, the temp does not rise as fast now when standing still, IMHO opinion this is a must with whoevers CAI you are using. Once I seal the filter bay from the engine and just have ambient temp directed into the filter section its gonna get alot better!

#7 ·
mrfreeze said:
i like that paint job you have there on you cai..nice job on the relocation..on my dub intake the hole for the iat sensor sits a few inches back from where the stock one was..
Thanks!

The Dub CAI is even worse with the heat soak, not only is it metal its chromed!!!!!

Relocate, relocate!

#11 ·
Derwood98sNewSRT8 said:
So, if I am hearing you correctly... I should relocate my IAT sensor when my Volant shows up? And this will do what for performance?

Well it depends if you start seeing IAT temps of 120 or above Ide relocate it, your heatsoak on the Volant may not be as bad as my Mopar CAI, remember my tube is metal and yours is rubber so heat will soak into mine alot quicker then yours.

But relocating the sensor to a place where there is less heat is always a good thing.

Keeping the IAT temps lower will give you overall better performance and consistency that he heatsoak takes away.

#12 ·
Can you take some pics on how you did the wiring? Did you have to cut the existing wires and splice in longer pieces?

#13 ·
Or you guys could just use a resistor to lower the temp!! It works we did it. And monitoring the DashHawk we noticed the timing also was effected. I am not advertising any resistor sizes or data till we can test with it. But I will tell you we were able to control inside and outside temps, also timing :)

#14 ·
Inferno SRT8 said:
Well it depends if you start seeing IAT temps of 120 or above Ide relocate it, your heatsoak on the Volant may not be as bad as my Mopar CAI, remember my tube is metal and yours is rubber so heat will soak into mine alot quicker then yours.

But relocating the sensor to a place where there is less heat is always a good thing.

Keeping the IAT temps lower will give you overall better performance and consistency that he heatsoak takes away.
tony how did you go with extending wires

#15 ·
Squilly D said:
Can you take some pics on how you did the wiring? Did you have to cut the existing wires and splice in longer pieces?
Ill get a few pics.

BILLSHOE said:
tony how did you go with extending wires
I used #14 awg put male staycons (round ones that snap into each other) on the oem wiring so I never have to remove or resplice the oem wiring again, used female on the wiring extensions, put the same 2 male ones on the oem connector so that now never has to be respliced. You can also use butt splices but you will have to resplice wires if anything goes wrong etc.

#16 ·
Hey Tony, I have a question. Did the actual heat soak in the air intake tube change or did you merely move the sampling location to a cooler spot in the intake tract? Isn't the intake tube still "seeing" the same temp as before? I realize that a lower IAT temp at the sensor will keep the PCM from retarding timing but does the new location give lower reading even when you aren't sitting still? How long did it take for the IAT to come down once you started to move? I'm trying to decide between just insulating the intake tube...or moving the sensor AND insulating the intake tube.

#17 ·
larryc7777 said:
Hey Tony, I have a question. Did the actual heat soak in the air intake tube change or did you merely move the sampling location to a cooler spot in the intake tract? Isn't the intake tube still "seeing" the same temp as before? I realize that a lower IAT temp at the sensor will keep the PCM from retarding timing but does the new location give lower reading even when you aren't sitting still? How long did it take for the IAT to come down once you started to move? I'm trying to decide between just insulating the intake tube...or moving the sensor AND insulating the intake tube.
By moving the sensor your giving the PCM true intake readings, not heatsoaked readings and totally freaking the timing out which was slowing down my WOT launches.

And yes im getting much lower temps now when im in traffic standing still, and the temp now when moving drops considerably faster then compared to where the IAT was before.

I dont know which CAI your using but the mopar 1 leaves a HUGE gap between the radiator and heatshield, once I seal that and find a way to insulate the top also, I wont be sucking in any engine heat at all.

#18 ·
Inferno SRT8 said:
Ill get a few pics.

I used #14 awg put male staycons (round ones that snap into each other) on the oem wiring so I never have to remove or resplice the oem wiring again, used female on the wiring extensions, put the same 2 male ones on the oem connector so that now never has to be respliced. You can also use butt splices but you will have to resplice wires if anything goes wrong etc.
thanks tony i guess ill wait till i get back do this and t-stat together plus then we will see the results..you the man

#19 ·
BILLSHOE said:
thanks tony i guess ill wait till i get back do this and t-stat together plus then we will see the results..you the man

When you get back in town Billy we will do it all in 1 shot, Tstat, IAT relocation etc.

See you soon bro.

#22 ·
....ok...ok, I was actually trying to pump you for beneficial info here.....

Where might one move the sensor on a stock. but modified airbox?

thank you for your anticipated co-operation in this very important matter.

haha....thanks dude, for all of your constant help and informative posts.
When inferno talks, I listen!

#24 ·
Inferno SRT8 said:
Thanks!

The Dub CAI is even worse with the heat soak, not only is it metal its chromed!!!!!

Relocate, relocate!
Lets clear up one thing here.The Dub is not chromed steel, but Stainless Steel and Stainless does not absorb heat as quickly as aluminum that the Mopar tube is made of.Your idea sounds great to trick the pcm,but what does that do for our MPG.With the cooler air the pcm is looking at it like it has not come up to temp's yet and will keep the fuel mix at a richer state than we would like for better MPG.Great for power.How about if we have 2 IAT sensors and plug into one for every day driving and the other for the track.

#25 ·
I was watching my IAT readings today on my commute to and from work today. While hauling azz on the 101, the readings were within 10 degrees of ambient for the most part and when I was in stop and go traffic it got up to 104 at one point. I'm wondering what the reading are going to be when it's a 100 degrees over here.

#26 ·
By this arguement we should just put the sensor behind the grill and plug the hole on the intake altogether. Won't get much cooler than that.

I wonder what negative effects could exist by the intake charge being hotter than indicted and the pcm not managing variables correctly? I imagine the systems overlap enough to offset any potential for damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.