Cai?!? Yea Right!!!! [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Cai?!? Yea Right!!!!

Inferno SRT8
04-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Ever wonder why the factory uses plastic/rubber for the air intake tube?

Could it be that heat soaks in faster to metal then it does to plastic or rubber??

With that said im sitting at a light yesterday and im sitting there watching the Dashhawk IAT sensor creep up 130, 135, 145!!!!!!!!

You know happened when I hit the throttle when the light changed green? (WOT) It felt like there were 5 people in the car with me, I was disgusted.

The CAI tube is metal or aluminum (very thin) and it has the worst case of heatsoak I have ever seen, its hindering my PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!
But on the highway when the CAI tube has air passing thru it constantly from a 30 mph roll the damn thing is an ANIMAL NOW!!!!!!!

So now im thinking this is where I take it in the ass at the track, waiting to stage.

Here is my idea, and everyone feel free to chime in if you think its a bad one.

I want to get the high temp silicone, the orange stuff and line the entire inside of the CAI tube with it, put a nice 1/8 to 1/4 inch bead on it to preven the heat soak from kicking the sh*t out om my IAT sensor.

Thoughts Gentlemen?

Derwood98
04-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Go to your local refrigeration supply wholesaler and pick up a tube of 1/2" wall armaflex insulation. Measure the outside diameter of your tube first so that you get a snug fit. Then just slide it on. I may not be pretty, but it's a cheep effective way to test your theory. And if it works, you could just install it at the track and remove it on your daily drives.

Inferno SRT8
04-29-2007, 10:33 AM
Go to your local refrigeration supply wholesaler and pick up a tube of 1/2" wall armaflex insulation. Measure the outside diameter of your tube first so that you get a snug fit. Then just slide it on. I may not be pretty, but it's a cheep effective way to test your theory. And if it works, you could just install it at the track and remove it on your daily drives.

Nice, I do HVAC for a living too. www.trane.com

Great idea also.

Derwood98
04-29-2007, 10:34 AM
Ha, Ha. www.carrier.com

Inferno SRT8
04-29-2007, 10:34 AM
Ha, Ha. www.carrier.com

NICE!

So we both work for the factory! :D

FastSRT8GC
04-29-2007, 10:37 AM
As soon as my S/C arrives i will have a volant that I will not need. It is all ABS plastic. You can try to wrap your CAI in header heat wrap or get it ceramic coated.

Your best bet is a plastic intake tube like the Volant

make sure you start Icing your intake down at the track!!!

Derwood98
04-29-2007, 10:39 AM
Actually, we are a wholesale distributor for Carrier among other things. I head up their refrigeration group.

Inferno SRT8
04-29-2007, 10:41 AM
Actually, we are a wholesale distributor for Carrier among other things. I head up their refrigeration group.

I used to do the hump work for Trane, 300 ton and up screw compressors, recipricating etc. Now I do there automation BAS nomore hump work.

As soon as my S/C arrives i will have a volant that I will not need. It is all ABS plastic. You can try to wrap your CAI in header heat wrap or get it ceramic coated.

Another great idea, let me know about the Volant, I may take it off your hands for track use.

Derwood98
04-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Here's an even better idea. Have a small evaporator custom made to fit around the outside of you intake tube and tie it into your AC. Run your AC when you are at the track. The humidity should condense and freeze on your intake tube. When you get ready to race, turn off the AC so you don't loose any HP in the process and you will have a carry over effect with a cold intake.

Inferno SRT8
04-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Here's an even better idea. Have a small evaporator custom made to fit around the outside of you intake tube and tie it into your AC. Run your AC when you are at the track. The humidity should condense and freeze on your intake tube. When you get ready to race, turn off the AC so you don't loose any HP in the process and you will have a carry over effect with a cold intake.

Now that may be a tad overkill! :D

generalconfusion
04-29-2007, 10:57 AM

OR dont waste your money and leave the stock box and heavy rubber tube. That is why I dont run an aftermarket CAI.....the stock one is as good as it gets. I tested two different CAI and have monitored the IAT with all of them.

FastSRT8GC
04-29-2007, 11:03 AM
OR dont waste your money and leave the stock box and heavy rubber tube. That is why I dont run and aftermarket CAI.....the stock one is as good as it gets.

Most of the Late model vehicles do have very good intake systems.
The factory box is perfect and if you run the Ram Air from the brake scoop and a K&N type filter you will be happy.

I like the sound of the aftermarket intakes and you will not get that from the factory rubber tube, it has no resonance. That is why i chose the volant it was the closest to factory, and sounds very good.

Inferno SRT8
04-29-2007, 11:13 AM
I think im going to go with the Volant CAI.

My Mopar one looks great painted and all but its hindering performance big time.

Derwood98
04-29-2007, 11:27 AM
I actually have a Mopar on order shipping on Monday. Should I rethink? I found a Volant for cheeper then the Mopar. Check the attached:

http://www.hopupracing.com/voinkitjejes.html

Would this be a better choice? It doesn't look much different from the stock box. :eek:

Mango
04-29-2007, 11:33 AM
Volant = win.

This is exactly why I dumped the Mopar last month.

Inferno SRT8
04-29-2007, 11:37 AM
I actually have a Mopar on order shipping on Monday. Should I rethink? I found a Volant for cheeper then the Mopar. Check the attached:

http://www.hopupracing.com/voinkitjejes.html

Would this be a better choice? It doesn't look much different from the stock box. :eek:

I would, if I had to do it again ide get the Volant the first time. Now ive pissed away $600 on 2 CAI's and thats not including the paint work I did to my Mopar CAI.

generalconfusion
04-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Most of the Late model vehicles do have very good intake systems.
The factory box is perfect and if you run the Ram Air from the brake scoop and a K&N type filter you will be happy.

I like the sound of the aftermarket intakes and you will not get that from the factory rubber tube, it has no resonance. That is why i chose the volant it was the closest to factory, and sounds very good.

I agree:D .....if I changed mine out it would be the Volant.......but I just put some headers and wheels on the E55 and now Im broke:(

Derwood98
04-29-2007, 11:42 AM
Thanks guys! I just cancelled my order. Where is the best place to pick one of these up? Is the price on the link I posted above pretty good?

Inferno SRT8
04-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks guys! I just cancelled my order. Where is the best place to pick one of these up? Is the price on the link I posted above pretty good?

Best I found so far.

gculver
04-29-2007, 11:47 AM
You could just replace the stock tube with an Airaid tube only and wrap it, like:1352 The ceramic coating would be the nicest looking, while your at it ,get the inside teflon coated. GC

firefighter
04-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Jet hot the tube or a cheaper alt. is to use Linex on the inside of the tube. Both are great insulators against heat.

Derwood98
04-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks guys. I just ordered mine from Southern Hot Rod.

Marshallout
04-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Once u guy prove to me it is worth it>>>>>>>>>>>> then i will do it until then brainstorm.................all u want.

If you think this will make difference then fine but a bad reaction time will do the same.

so u r better to prep for that then drop 60 dollars on nothing.

Just my opinion

GotStroke?
04-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Once u guy prove to me it is worth it>>>>>>>>>>>> then i will do it until then brainstorm.................all u want.

If you think this will make difference then fine but a bad reaction time will do the same.

so u r better to prep for that then drop 60 dollars on nothing.

Just my opinion

Reaction times have nothing to do with ET or trap speed. They are simply not factored in.

FastSRT8GC
04-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Reaction times have nothing to do with ET or trap speed. They are simply not factored in.

A good take off is confused with R/T. You need to get out of the hole perfect i.e no spinning, wheel hop, clutch slip, RPM etc. If you do all that you could wait a half hour with a green light and still have the same time.

The clock starts to tick once you cross the beams!

cmn1
04-29-2007, 05:58 PM
I used to do the hump work for Trane, 300 ton and up screw compressors, recipricating etc. Now I do there automation BAS nomore hump work.

Another great idea, let me know about the Volant, I may take it off your hands for track use.
I work for a local company in Chicago (www.murphymiller.com ) and do BAS also, nice working with a laptop and small tools.

BILLSHOE
04-29-2007, 11:59 PM
NICE!

So we both work for the factory! :D
TONY I DONT THINK TRANE IS GOING TO HELP US WE NEED A GOOD TIN GUY..THANKS FOR THE INFO JUST INSTALLED MY MOPAR CAI SATURDAY..I WOULD OF TOOK YOURS

Inferno SRT8
04-30-2007, 05:32 AM
I work for a local company in Chicago (www.murphymiller.com ) and do BAS also, nice working with a laptop and small tools.

And I spelled reciprocating wrong, unreal :D

Working with laptops is MUCH better then the hump work, but today im starting up a 60 ton CGAF chiller, I dont mind the start ups, just the hump work I cant stand anymore.

TONY I DONT THINK TRANE IS GOING TO HELP US WE NEED A GOOD TIN GUY..THANKS FOR THE INFO JUST INSTALLED MY MOPAR CAI SATURDAY..I WOULD OF TOOK YOURS

Anytime Billy, I may keep my painted Mopar CAI if the re location of the IAT works, im bringing the IAT inside the filter section of the CAI, see if that will help.

mike123
04-30-2007, 06:45 AM
Ever wonder why the factory uses plastic/rubber for the air intake tube?

Could it be that heat soaks in faster to metal then it does to plastic or rubber??

With that said im sitting at a light yesterday and im sitting there watching the Dashhawk IAT sensor creep up 130, 135, 145!!!!!!!!

You know happened when I hit the throttle when the light changed green? (WOT) It felt like there were 5 people in the car with me, I was disgusted.

The CAI tube is metal or aluminum (very thin) and it has the worst case of heatsoak I have ever seen, its hindering my PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!
But on the highway when the CAI tube has air passing thru it constantly from a 30 mph roll the damn thing is an ANIMAL NOW!!!!!!!

So now im thinking this is where I take it in the ass at the track, waiting to stage.

Here is my idea, and everyone feel free to chime in if you think its a bad one.

I want to get the high temp silicone, the orange stuff and line the entire inside of the CAI tube with it, put a nice 1/8 to 1/4 inch bead on it to preven the heat soak from kicking the sh*t out om my IAT sensor.

Thoughts Gentlemen?
this will work for you http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.aspx/partfamilyid/1628/subcategoryid/111/categoryid/28

Derwood98
05-03-2007, 10:02 PM
CAI has been installed. Have not noticed much in sound or performance. Just by installing it though, there is a much better chance for air flow with the front scoop and the bottom intake. It's a nice system, just a little tricky to get the connection boot on the intake tube. It's a tight fit. Had to put it in a little boiling water to get it stretched on. Tight fit. :D I think it's a great upgrade with lots of potential. I really don't see the need for a snorkel mod with the amount of air access, but what do I know?

AlexT
05-04-2007, 06:03 AM
Had to put it in a little boiling water to get it stretched on. Tight fit. :D

It was a tight fit, but I dabbed a bit of WD-40 around the lip of the boot and it slid right on.

Alex