snorkel mod idea [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: snorkel mod idea

jaybruce
04-25-2007, 04:50 AM
I was looking at the brake tube mod, not an option for me because i use my brakes a lot.

I also popped the hood and see that the piece you cut for the snorkel mod comes right out. I was thinking of fabricating a fiberglass replacement using the original as a start and going for a velocity stack shape right up to the grill, covering the complete first open section behind the grill. This seems like it will provide the most ram-air effect without going beyond the grill or blocking airflow to any of the radiators. I could also just pop the original back in for rainy days, (or rather, pop the mod in for fun days).

sound good? I play a lot on the autobahn so this would benefit me more than most.

I've never worked with fiberglass so I'm sure I'll dork it up at first, but I'm planning on going with a heavy packing foam to get the shape and then overlay it with fiberglass. I may just make the shape and have someone else do the 'glass also. Any holes in my idea?

MNBob
04-25-2007, 06:12 AM
I want to do the same thing. I was thinking about sheet metal and connecting it to the snorkel piece. I just have not had time to work on this.

I had dual ram air tubes with a dual snorkel air cleaner on my 1969 Gran Prix and it worked awesome. A noticeable difference above 60.

Let me know of any progress or results.

FastSRT8GC
04-25-2007, 06:35 AM
Unless you are road racing or autocrossing this thing all day the brake snorkel will not affect your normal day to day driving. Maybe if you live in Denver Or Lake Tahoe, you may need to cool them down more than the normal driver but still not needed. Your best bet is to buy a Y split and aim one towards your brake and the other, you would run the plumbing up to the airbox.

SRedrockT8
04-25-2007, 07:39 AM
i found something that might work with some slight modification. i bought one and will play around with it when it comes in.

here's a link. part# SPA - D100

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/naca.htm

DavesSRT8
04-25-2007, 08:24 AM
What I did was popped out the resonator cup. It has a nice flange hanging off the bottom of the airbox. it is exactly 3". i remove the passenger brake duct, opening up a space right next to air cond condensor. wedged in a duct simlar to what you have, except with the flanges cut off to save space. connected bottom of air box w/3" hose to this, then remounted the brake duct to keep it in place. put a couple of pin holes in the hose for drainage. however, i did NOT modify the snorkel.

scoop:
http://www.pitstopusa.com/detail.aspx?ID=23712

hoses found here (3")
http://www.pitstopusa.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=545

Results with Dashhawk show almost exactly the same as ambient - maybe a degree or 2 higher. I did not want to cut snorkel, just wanted to try some other variations on the brake duct theme. with 180 thermo, K&N and this mod, went from 13.28 stock to 12.98 and picked up 2mph.

Dave

BuilderBill
04-25-2007, 10:15 AM
i found something that might work with some slight modification. i bought one and will play around with it when it comes in.

here's a link. part# SPA - D100

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/naca.htm

Great work...lets see how it does.
Bill

SRedrockT8
05-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Great work...lets see how it does.
Bill

i got my duct in from racerpartswholesale.com (#spa-d100).

here is a pic from the website.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/images/d106.jpg

it took lots of trimming to get it to fit to the stock air tube behind the grill. the only way i could attach it to the stock tube once the trimming was done was to use (cover your ears), duct tape. i know duct tape has a certain negative stigma but it works, it can't be seen, & it can be removed if needed.

on to the pics.

what needed to be trimmed off

http://photos.imageevent.com/luv4low/miscpics/websize/duct1.JPG

grill shot. 1/8th inch gap between duct & grill.

http://photos.imageevent.com/luv4low/miscpics/websize/duct3.JPG

drop lamp inside air box to shed a bit of inner light.

http://photos.imageevent.com/luv4low/miscpics/websize/duct21.JPG

unless you know it's there, you won't know it's there. don't know what it will do for performance but it's better than nothing.

srt8hotrod
05-07-2007, 10:14 AM
sweet nice job

cobrakid
05-07-2007, 12:40 PM
I found a cool guy on e-bay and bought some wood shop hoses & fittings....
I have 4 inch coming from both brake ducts "Y'd" into the bottom resonator.

I was gonna show what all pieces were needed with pics etc, but some many
people flamed me for hiding my bright blue NOS bottle with black duct tape
that I said piss on posting the ram air box set-up.

Let me know if anybody is interested, I also have some fittings and tubing
left over. The thought even crossed my mind to offer this as a kit, and
get rich, but cutting and fitting the stuff is a minor pain, and takes some
fabrication skill. It really came out good and I like it.

My first runs, however, were done with just the passenger side duct mod,
using makeshift dryer type hoses. ....but it musta worked? 12.85@104.5 ?

BuilderBill
05-07-2007, 03:45 PM
I found a cool guy on e-bay and bought some wood shop hoses & fittings....
I have 4 inch coming from both brake ducts "Y'd" into the bottom resonator.

Let me know if anybody is interested, I also have some fittings and tubing
left over. The thought even crossed my mind to offer this as a kit, and
get rich, but cutting and fitting the stuff is a minor pain, and takes some
fabrication skill. It really came out good and I like it.

My first runs, however, were done with just the passenger side duct mod,
using makeshift dryer type hoses. ....but it musta worked? 12.85@104.5 ?
Cobra,
The guys were a bit tough on the tape deal!!:eek:
Anyway, I firmly believe your system worked. The day I rented Rockingham and put over 100 runs on the Hemi, as you probably read, 15 passes were made with the lower ducting removed and I lost 1 tenth and 1 mph until these were hooked back up and regained the tenth and mph.

Hemi's hate heat but really like air...hence the supercharger order!:D
Bill

MNBob
05-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Cobra,
I am interested in any pics you have (and I won't flame you). Yesterday, I did the snorkel mod and ordered and some flexible pipe. I plan to use the snorkle with duct (like SRedrockT8) and a hose to the drop tube connected to another duct.

The snorkle mod is a no brainer, the other mods require some work because there is very little depth clearance. I will let everyone know if I can figure out a reasonable design.

NitroCrzy
05-08-2007, 01:42 AM
I'd like to see the pic's. It's a shame you got such a reaction from the tape ;) I know there are a lot of us that would do the same thing with limited time to do what you were trying to accomplish. When I first tried the Brake Snorkel Mod... I ended up with a loose piece of duct tape hanging down. The track guys spotted it and shook their head.. yanked the loose tape and let me run! :rolleyes:

FFSP
05-08-2007, 06:34 AM

I'd like to see this setup. I didn't flame your NOS setup. I think it's great that you are trying things out for us guys since the aftermarket has yet to step up.:D

MNBob
05-14-2007, 07:26 PM
I ordered some ducts from Racer Parts Wholesale and tried to use one in the front of the snorkel. What I found was this was really hard to match up and there was so little depth that it just didn't work. After all the cutting, I think I would be better off with just the modified snorkel.

My next plan is to fabricate a sheet metal duct that covers the right two grille slots. Let me know if anyone has had any success with any other strategies.