2010 Geneva Auto Show Coverage [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: 2010 Geneva Auto Show Coverage

Administrator
02-26-2010, 02:23 PM
http://www.autoguide.com/images/content/geneva-coverage-image-main_rdax_334x238.jpg

While European automakers initially ignored hybrid technology, it seems as though the craze has finally caught on, with everyone from Ferrari to Porsche announcing hybrid models of one kind or another. Ferrari will debut a 599 Hybrid concept, while Porsche will show the GT3 R Hybrid race car and a hybrid version of the 2011 Cayenne.

Porsche's new parent company, Volkswagen, also has plenty of hybrid news. VW will showcase its new Touareg SUV, with a hybrid version. In addition, another VW-brand company, Audi, will show off a hybrid version of its new A8. Other hybrids include the Lotus Evora 414E Hybrid and the Lexus CT200h hybrid.

Other show highlights are sure to include a new high-performance version of the Lamborghini Gallardo, referred to as either the LP57-4 SuperVeloce or the LP570-4 Superleggera, as well as Audi's new RS5. Plus, Mercedes-tuner Carlsson is debuting its new C25, an SL65-based supercar while VW/Audi-tuner ABT Sportsline is showing-off a 600-hp Audi R8 GTR, an R8 Spyder, A8 and a modified Volkswagen Golf R.

More: 2010 Geneva Auto Show Coverage (http://www.autoguide.com/auto-shows/2010-geneva-auto-show-coverage-1301.html) on AutoGuide.com

GenevaSRT8
03-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Hi all,

I just had the chance to spend a very short hour and a half at the Geneva Auto Show which opens to the public tomorrow (today and yesterday are reserved for press and industry professionals, and I was lucky enough to be invited by a business counterparty). I had not set foot in the Auto Show for at least 12 years, because it is an overcrowded zoo during public days outside of business hours, so maybe a few comments are not accurate. Unfortunately, this is not the best Auto Show for american cars (duh...), but here is what was on display:

From GM, Cadillac had the full range of CTS on display (Coupé, 4-door, CTS-V, and the Station Wagon version), all in metallic silver. It seems that finally the SW is becoming available... I was considering it at some point, but decided to go with an already-available GCSRT8 last May (and I don't regret it a bit :cool:). It looks as good in real as it did on picture. I am not a fan of the Coupé, though... Corvette had 3 on display.

From Chrysler... well this was a bit sad. First, the Chrysler brands were next to Fiat and Alfa Romeo, and it looked a bit like the italians were making a statement of who makes the calls now.
Chrysler had just two 300Cs (a diesel and an eco-optimized one, maybe a concept version, I did not google it up...) and a lone two-tone PT Cruiser, no Grand Voyager or Sebring... Jeep had a more complete lineup of all trucks available in Europe, including two brightly colored topless Wranglers. The only Grand Cherokee was a black diesel Overland. The oddest was Dodge. There was NO car or truck on display that is imported in Europe... but there was a Challenger SRT8 in dark metallic gray, and a Charger SRT8 in semi-gloss black!! I don't know how to interpret this, I hope it is a good sign for the future of the SRT line of products. It may also mean complete doom for the current european Dodge lineup (Journey, Nitro, Avenger, Caliber) which was completely invisible!! In any case it was good to see some US muscle in this "eco-friendly" themed Show... even though none of the two displayed is imported through the official dealership network :rolleyes:

I only zoomed through the Ford area, no sign of anything sold in the US to be seen...

As you may have read already, the main theme of this year's show with most manufacturer is hybrid cars, fuel economy, efficiency and electric cars... Driving daily a 6.1 liter V8 truck, you might have guessed that I am not that much into hybrids but well, the trend is here and fuel prices do support it. However, what really irated me was the BMW section. BMWs are fantastic pieces of machinery, and my dad has always had BMWs for as long as I can remember, so they are a bit special to me... They had on display about every "Efficient Dynamics" and "tree-hugging-eco-friendly" version of their lineup, including an X6. As fossil-fuel-only powered trucks they had the new X1 and two X5s (no X3, no X6 I think...). And in the back of the display area, there was a passage with a "M-Power" logo... and if you took the little passage, hidden behind a wall and invisible to anyone staying in the main area, there was a lonely M3 as sole representative of the "M" branded cars and trucks!! No M5, no M6, no X5M, no X6M... :mad: it really looked as if they are ashamed to produce and sell cars that are fast and burn gas to do so... :eek:

As random notes, the italian brands have the best models (I'm not talking about cars here :D), the R8 spyder and the Mercedes SLS are stunning.

I took a few pics with my Blackberry, I will see whether any is worth of posting (you will have better shots done by professionals in the autoguide link anyway...)

Take care,

GenevaSRT8
03-08-2010, 08:20 AM
I missed a yellow Camaro in the Chevrolet section... when I looked around I only saw korean-built compacts and moved on, my bad... :o