Cold Air Intake [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Cold Air Intake

Derwood98
04-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Any suggestions on the best cold air intakes out there? Pics and sites would be great.

generalconfusion
04-16-2007, 11:17 PM
Any suggestions on the best cold air intakes out there? Pics and sites would be great.

Guaranteed........ leave stock.......add a flat K&N and modify the front snorkel. This weekend we found the DUB actually LOST 10hp......and that was back to back dyno runs for each one.

I will guarantee you you will run lower IAT #'s with the stock system.......like 40-50 degrees difference!

tommy25000
04-17-2007, 08:12 AM
Guaranteed........ leave stock.......add a flat K&N and modify the front snorkel. This weekend we found the DUB actually LOST 10hp......and that was back to back dyno runs for each one.

I will guarantee you you will run lower IAT #'s with the stock system.......like 40-50 degrees difference!

40-50 degrees... my IAT is normally only about 1-4 degrees warmer than the air out side when im moving, even if im only going 15-20mph

I have the gs CAI. im not a big fan of there quality, but i do like the k&n filter it came with, and it sounds great...

HoustonSRT-8
04-17-2007, 08:17 AM
I vote for the Volant (from Southern Hotrod) with the snorkel mod and brake duct mod.

Go~RillaWRX
04-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Just installed the Volant last night. Great quality. Not as blingy as others I have seen. Huge filter, sounds great, and the Butt Dyno said there was a very little gain.

theoneyoucantreplace
04-17-2007, 08:27 AM
Mopar CAI is the best. You will not be disappointed!

tommy25000
04-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Mopar CAI is the best. You will not be disappointed!
isnt the mopar cai the same as the dub? if so you missed the comment where they lost 10hp from it.

kramsay1234
04-17-2007, 08:33 AM

Hmmm - I am not liking the sound of this. Can you give more info on how it is possible to lose hp by adding the DUB? I am not keen on going slower.

SOUTHERNHOTROD
04-17-2007, 08:35 AM

I think you would be very happy with a Volant.

I have 1 Volant left in stock. The price is $295 shipped in the 48 continental United States.

Volant Cool-Air Intake: 2006-07 JEEP Grand Cherokee SRT-8 (http://www.southernhotrod.com/store/product.php?productid=16564&cat=0&page=1)

Thanks! :D

HoustonSRT-8
04-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Hmmm - I am not liking the sound of this. Can you give more info on how it is possible to lose hp by adding the DUB? I am not keen on going slower.
I would imagine because of the chrome tube and box. I'm guessing it retains a lot of heat over the stock plastic housing and rubber tube.

kramsay1234
04-17-2007, 10:08 AM
I would imagine because of the chrome tube and box. I'm guessing it retains a lot of heat over the stock plastic housing and rubber tube.

I have driven the truck down the highway and then gotten out and touched the tube to check after I installed. Its not hot to touch. :mad: :confused:

Of course I wondered the same thing myself after I installed, so I put that to bed.

HoustonSRT-8
04-17-2007, 10:29 AM
I have driven the truck down the highway and then gotten out and touched the tube to check after I installed. Its not hot to touch. :mad: :confused:

Of course I wondered the same thing myself after I installed, so I put that to bed.
Then my second guess is that the box does not seal against the hood allowing hot air from the motor to be sucked into the intake.

kramsay1234
04-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Then my second guess is that the box does not seal against the hood allowing hot air from the motor to be sucked into the intake.

That has some merit because the way the box goes on at the bottom, it kind of just rests against the factory lower and does not seal that well.

Still - I would like some more verification that there is a hp loss. I am ok with no gain, but don't like a loss.

OBSRT8
04-17-2007, 02:36 PM
I think we need a 2nd opinion.I don't believe it.

JTSRT
04-17-2007, 02:40 PM
I think in general the design of all the CAI's are similar and the mention of HP loss is gonna be hit or miss. All the companies claim certain HP gains on their own website, which is probably backed up by a dyno run back to back as well. It's the modern world, people can prove just about anything while others can prove the exact opposite...Find one you like, or someone's opinion you trust and go with it. I have the DUB and it looks good, made some sounds difference, and I didn't notice a loss in power. It was actually referred from HHP where they do countless dyno runs with different aftermarket accessories.

QuickSRT8
04-17-2007, 03:16 PM
I've looked into the CAI and once I looked at the factory setup I feel the best bet would be to modify the front scoop behind the grill and run a 3" hose from the brake scoop to the bottom of the filter box, once the silencer is removed. All this can be done under $60

The mopar intake tube in metal and will retain the heat over time and will cause HP figures to go down.

HoustonSRT-8
04-17-2007, 03:58 PM
I've looked into the CAI and once I looked at the factory setup I feel the best bet would be to modify the front scoop behind the grill and run a 3" hose from the brake scoop to the bottom of the filter box, once the silencer is removed. All this can be done under $60

The mopar intake tube in metal and will retain the heat over time and will cause HP figures to go down.
The two changes you just mentioned are referred to as the "snorkel mod" and "brake duct mod".

BTW, the Volant CAI uses a plastic tube as opposed to the metal tube.

QuickSRT8
04-17-2007, 04:25 PM
The way I look at it is I'm doing the same as what Volant offers so I would rather spend the money on something else.

mrfreeze
04-17-2007, 04:39 PM
i have the dub cai also..i did notice a more aggressive exhaust note and more howl comming out of the engine bay,but 10hp loss???is there more info on this..

generalconfusion
04-17-2007, 06:40 PM
All this testing was done last year.......an aftermarket CAI is worth 5-7hp period!!

The Mopar CAI is made by AEM it is a 4" tube that tapers down with the rubber sleeve. The design does not isolate under hood heat.....that is obvious by visually looking at it. You can also invest in a Actron Scanner and monitor you AIT sensor vs the stock box.

The GSM CAI is a 3" CAI tube similar to the stock size it is isolated much more than the Mopar by the sheetmetal box that goes around it. It seems to offer better SOTP throttle response due to the 3" design that will aid with velocity.

The DUB and Airaid use the stock box and some extension so when you close the hood it theoretically seals the filter.

The stock box is in fact sealed. The tube is heavy rubber which in my opinion would be more heat resistant than a metal tube......dont you think?!?! The air is flowing through a flat panel that pulls air directly from the front grille...hhhmmm that would be air cooler than from under the hood. If you slightly modify the snorkel by leaving the right side and floor and just remove enough of the left side you open it to direct incoming air. I personally have seen 30 degrees difference using my AIT sensor. You can even remove the baffle at the bottom of the box more more air if desired.

All this is just my opinion ......some base on dyno test....but what do i know???

HoustonSRT-8
04-17-2007, 08:46 PM
but what do i know???

Based on that rambling......absolutely nothing. :p

GotStroke?
04-17-2007, 09:44 PM
All this testing was done last year.......an aftermarket CAI is worth 5-7hp period!!

The Mopar CAI is made by AEM it is a 4" tube that tapers down with the rubber sleeve. The design does not isolate under hood heat.....that is obvious by visually looking at it. You can also invest in a Actron Scanner and monitor you AIT sensor vs the stock box.

The GSM CAI is a 3" CAI tube similar to the stock size it is isolated much more than the Mopar by the sheetmetal box that goes around it. It seems to offer better SOTP throttle response due to the 3" design that will aid with velocity.

The DUB and Airaid use the stock box and some extension so when you close the hood it theoretically seals the filter.

The stock box is in fact sealed. The tube is heavy rubber which in my opinion would be more heat resistant than a metal tube......dont you think?!?! The air is flowing through a flat panel that pulls air directly from the front grille...hhhmmm that would be air cooler than from under the hood. If you slightly modify the snorkel by leaving the right side and floor and just remove enough of the left side you open it to direct incoming air. I personally have seen 30 degrees difference using my AIT sensor. You can even remove the baffle at the bottom of the box more more air if desired.

All this is just my opinion ......some base on dyno test....but what do i know???

I may take the stock inlet tube and drop in K&N to the B&G dyno session. I'm curious to see if the Dub is in fact costing me power.

theoneyoucantreplace
04-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Mopar CAI is the best way to go. No loss in performance at all.

:(

Derwood98
04-17-2007, 10:23 PM
WOW, this is a pretty hot topic. I am glad I asked. I am not sure that I have made a positive conclusion as of yet, but I do have some ideas. Thanks for all your input.

Derwood98
04-17-2007, 10:25 PM
Based on that rambling......absolutely nothing. :p

P.s. Houston, what movie is that icon from. I cannot think of the name and it's driving me nuts. :)

HoustonSRT-8
04-17-2007, 10:40 PM
P.s. Houston, what movie is that icon from. I cannot think of the name and it's driving me nuts. :)
No clue. :D

kramsay1234
04-17-2007, 11:27 PM
I may take the stock inlet tube and drop in K&N to the B&G dyno session. I'm curious to see if the Dub is in fact costing me power.

Please do. Actually a test vs stock is all I need. I am not going to the track, but don't like modding for power loss vs stock. Thanks and please post results.

Derwood98
04-17-2007, 11:31 PM
Honestly, I am just looking for the real deal here. Do I change, do I not change. Do I just change the element to a k&N? I have a 1996 Cherokee with a custom set up in it (pic in icon) and it made a huge difference, but from what I am reading, it's all over the board. I would rather save the money and put it into something cool. Like a supercharger for instance. :)

Hemi@last
04-18-2007, 05:51 PM

I too, would be very interested in these results. I have had DUB in for several weeks. No quantitative results, but but it feels more responsive in several circumstances.

GotStroke?
04-18-2007, 06:35 PM
I'll make it a point to test the stock inlet/K&N vs. Dub Air at the next session.

mrfreeze
04-18-2007, 06:46 PM
I'll make it a point to test the stock inlet/K&N vs. Dub Air at the next session.

thanks.i and others will be looking forward to the results

generalconfusion
04-18-2007, 06:57 PM
I'll do one better.... here is a test of the MOPAR CAI vs stock......geez where were you guys last year??

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/sgtstanko/5.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/sgtstanko/4.jpg

GotStroke?
04-18-2007, 11:55 PM
I'll do one better.... here is a test of the MOPAR CAI vs stock......geez where were you guys last year??

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/sgtstanko/5.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/sgtstanko/4.jpg

Talk about on the ball. So the Mopar actually gained over stock? Did you use a K&N drop in or the stock paper filter?

chizel
05-02-2007, 12:29 AM
before.. i used to have this K&N Cai but months ago i do changed it to Jeep cold air intake (http://www.coldairintakedirect.com/makes/jeep.html) for my wrangler, and cool it did'nt give me headache since then..thanks to the manufacturer having a lesser price with high quality parts. :)

synoil
05-08-2007, 07:18 AM
Hmm, wondering if I put the cold air wrap over the DUB
chrome tube...if that would help cool down the intake.
What thinks you folks about the wrap from stylinconcepts.
Craig

QuickSRT8
05-08-2007, 03:16 PM
I wrapped my intake tubes on my E55 with header wrap.

http://hometown.aol.com/hlrbj/images/intakes.jpg

JTSRT
05-09-2007, 07:14 AM
Anyone have an opinion on benefits of using something like the 'thermo tec cold air intake wrap/shield'? General consensus is metal intakes (DUB) causes higher intake air heat, so what about wrapping it for track days or anyday? I like the look of the DUB, gonna go well with my polished intake, BUT I like performance better. Maybe those of us with the DUB can have both. The thermo tec wraps are on Jegs for $45. Need to check fitting, I'm not sure of the parameters of the DUB - this fits anything from 2.5 - 4 inch diameter and up to 36 inches length.
Thanks

BuilderBill
05-09-2007, 08:08 AM
I wrapped my intake tubes on my E55 with header wrap.

http://hometown.aol.com/hlrbj/images/intakes.jpg
Now that's a NICE ride!
Bill

STEVE
05-09-2007, 08:30 AM
P.s. Houston, what movie is that icon from. I cannot think of the name and it's driving me nuts.

No clue. :D

It's from the end of Tom Green's classic "Freddy Got Fingered"

synoil
05-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Stylinconcepts has one looks like it zippers right on.
Hmmmm.
Craig

QuickSRT8
05-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Now that's a NICE ride!
Bill

http://hometown.aol.com/hlrbj/images/trainstation.jpg

GotStroke?
05-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Quick,
Been meaning to ask you, what's that roof option called?

QuickSRT8
05-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Quick,
Been meaning to ask you, what's that roof option called?

They call it pano.

FastSRT8GC
05-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Look at the size of those front rotors!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: It should be able to do a polish wheelie!!!

Laid Back
05-27-2007, 11:03 AM
The two changes you just mentioned are referred to as the "snorkel mod" and "brake duct mod".

BTW, the Volant CAI uses a plastic tube as opposed to the metal tube.

Does anyone who has done these mods have pics that they could post to get a better idea of how this is done?

AT'sGCSRT8
05-27-2007, 11:27 AM
use the "search" button at the top. It will be your best friend.

cobrakid
05-27-2007, 12:49 PM
front air scoop mod.

...real quick look through the grill (pass side) see factory scoop...
1) remove grill (puch pins easier than it sounds)
2) pull scoop that point to the left at 90* angle.
3) cut scoop to make it face front
4) widen and tweak if you so desire

duct mod.

Since you prolly won't be lapping Laguna Seca with your truck....
1) pop "cup" out of bottom of factory airbox.....or aftermarker CAI?
2) look at how you can feed a hose to bottom of box.
3) remove pass brake air duct, trim if needed and connect hose.

These 2 tricks alone are probably worth over a tenth and 2 mph?

Goodluck.

generalconfusion
05-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Here s mine....

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/sgtstanko/IMG_0241.jpg

mansoor
08-13-2007, 10:36 AM
hi all , i have a question and would appreciate for ur help please i would like to no which cold air intake is the best for Jeep SRT8 ?
Thanx all

1badjeep
08-13-2007, 07:31 PM
I have the DUB and I liked the way it looked, but I was concerned about the fact that it would heat up. So I wrapped it with thermal header wrap. It works very well and love the performance I have gotten from the 4 mods that I have done. I have magna flow with the resonators removed, Dub intake, snorkel mod, and B&G stage 2. I will be doing a stage 2 heads and intake soon and hopefully a supercharger as soon as someone comes out with a twin screw blower. But that may be to long to wait! LOL

spartansrt8
08-14-2007, 02:00 AM
WOW!!! all this talk about crappy different cold air intakes and not once did anyone mention the best one. Well, Bwoody that is. So if you want to buy a cold air for the jeep that will make a difference, then buy a Bwoody and forget that snorkel crap. For instance, i had a stock 07 with the snorkel, brake duct mod. I would race my friends stock 06 sti every day, and would lose by a car or two on average. After installing just the Bwoody i am pretty much always even with him, its down to who gets a better launch. With the 180 t-stat and borla s on now i am always ahead a car or two. So do whats right and purchase a Bwoody.
PEACE

MGSRT88
08-14-2007, 07:39 AM
Go with mopar for sound and hp gain the dyno even proves it

barho
08-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Go with mopar for sound and hp gain the dyno even proves it

:rolleyes:

You're kidding, right??? I think you need to utilize the search feature and do some research. I have yet to put in any CAI, cause most have found to have little if any gain. The Bwoody does sound promising, though.

mansoor
08-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Man am confused .. which one shall i get , the mopar or the bwoody??
which one of them is better and gives u power??

mrfreeze
08-14-2007, 03:38 PM
i ditched my dub and bought a bwoody..you will not be disappointed

GodfatherSRT8
08-14-2007, 04:15 PM
I had the mopar as well, the bwoody is way better.

inflyte21
08-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Here s mine....

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j66/sgtstanko/IMG_0241.jpg

She sure is purty!! :D

inflyte21
08-14-2007, 08:44 PM

http://hometown.aol.com/hlrbj/images/trainstation.jpg

Tastefully done!! Sweet ryde also!!! I'm luvin' this!:D

inflyte21
08-14-2007, 08:53 PM
I had the mopar as well, the bwoody is way better.

Sorry all. I got lost in the moment viewing the E55's. Does anyone have the power gains from the dub or Bwoody CAI? I only saw the Mopar vs. the stock air box.:confused:

GotStroke?
08-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Sorry all. I got lost in the moment viewing the E55's. Does anyone have the power gains from the dub or Bwoody CAI? I only saw the Mopar vs. the stock air box.:confused:

Dyno's coming soon. ;)

inflyte21
08-16-2007, 07:46 PM
Dyno's coming soon. ;)

Sweet..can't wait for the numbers. I was in the dealership and almost picked an 07...however I'm gonna wait for the 08. Luvin the feedback in this forum. Thanks all!

mansoor
08-24-2007, 07:13 PM
i thought of which CAI to get , and my final decision is the bwoody cuz i think its the best for the Jeep GC .. thanx all for helping me , really appreciate it :-)

V8 RCKT
08-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Some good points here...

I refused to run chrome smooth tubes in my Viper due to power loss thru heat-sink...

While the 6.1 does not run as hot as the V10, it still puts out considerable heat...

Regardless...

I installed the Mopar (so as to retain factory warranty)...

I suffered no power loss whatsoever...and the exhaust note is much more aggressive...

While I have no dyno numbers for you, I can guarantee there is no loss of HP due to the metal tube...

Frankiels3
08-26-2007, 11:38 PM
Just FYI I was told that Neither CAI, Cat back systems, programmers or underdrive pulleys would affect the factory warranty.

GotStroke?
08-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Just FYI I was told that Neither CAI, Cat back systems, programmers or underdrive pulleys would affect the factory warranty.

If they cause the motor or driveline to fail in any way, they most certainly can (especially the programmers, UD pulleys), even if they are Mopar parts.
For instance hypothetically with a programmer, the reduced torque management and increased hp/tq may at some point cause a premature transmission or other driveline related failure.
They have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure in order to void your warranty, but just remember, they'd rather pay their lawyers a percentage than give you a new trans for free.
Magnusson Moss is your friend, but DCX has more money. ;)

Frankiels3
08-27-2007, 12:19 AM
:confused:
If that was the case, then would there be a way to prove if that failure was caused by said parts if i where to remove them prior to claiming warranty?

GotStroke?
08-27-2007, 01:02 AM
:confused:
If that was the case, then would there be a way to prove if that failure was caused by said parts if i where to remove them prior to claiming warranty?

As far as programmers go, Diablo claims no, but we won't know for sure for another week or so. I guess it depends on the specific event/application/dealer in question. For example if your aftermarket CAI caused your motor to hydralock (which again isn't likely) you might have a tough time.