Thinking about Kooks, is it worth it? [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Thinking about Kooks, is it worth it?

sanscritt
04-16-2007, 10:20 AM
I am thinking about getting the Kooks headers/hi flow cats. I am curious as to what is involved as far as install cost, additional parts, etc.

Also what is impact on daily driveability? Also what is impact on warranty? This will be my first foray into headers and want to be careful.

Thanks for any information.

-Jerry

scottiekay
04-16-2007, 02:57 PM
I am in the same boat as you. I am looking for the same information. Too many questions. Anyone in the Boston Ma area have this installed that I can kindly see, or go for a quick ride with? I hate to sink 4K into the Jeep and then wonder why I did this to myself?

:D

Inferno SRT8
04-16-2007, 03:22 PM
$4k for headers? Are they made of gold? $2500k tops w/ install.

scottiekay
04-16-2007, 03:43 PM
No....

I am refering to the headers, Corsa exhaust, B&G Stage II programming, and install.

Crank
04-16-2007, 06:59 PM
Does anyone know if I put these headers on my truck if my truck will still pass CA emission test?

runnin 9s
04-16-2007, 07:29 PM
No they are not legal, just ask the general what he thinks, he is not getting much of a increase, I personaly would not buy these, the shorty headers that are on these things flow pretty good on a stock motor, on a built motor it would be worth it.

Crank
04-16-2007, 07:31 PM
coo thanks. do you know about ported heads.

runnin 9s
04-16-2007, 07:47 PM
They also need a cam and a port matched intake, that = more air in and more air out.

Crank
04-16-2007, 07:49 PM
will it pass emission

tommy25000
04-16-2007, 08:12 PM
doubt it. but i think i recall somone passing now that i think about it... maybe it was inferno

runnin 9s
04-16-2007, 08:14 PM
California has insane laws on smog checks.

generalconfusion
04-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Does anyone know if I put these headers on my truck if my truck will still pass CA emission test?

No you wont pass (in California) when you modify anything thats catalytic converter forward. Even a CAI will "visually" keep you from passing if it does not have a CARB # fixed to it.

You might pass with heads.......maybe even a small cam but its a roll of the dice until you do it and it gets sniffed.

As far as the headers there is a gain but not as advertised last year. They are worth about 15hp....maybe 20hp.

Inferno SRT8
04-16-2007, 08:46 PM
The only reason you may not pass inspection is the CEL light may come one when you get the headers and the new computers they are using now for inspections see that the CEL was illuminated fotr whatever reason, after a certain amount of key cycles its ok, but mine passed NYS inspection.

And with a catback and headers w/ install nomore then $3k

tommy25000
04-16-2007, 08:54 PM
check out this thread... i think i typed everything i know about kooks.
http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3784&highlight=headers

sanscritt
04-17-2007, 06:26 AM
check out this thread... i think i typed everything i know about kooks.
http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3784&highlight=headers

Good information:)

Is the performance increase noticeable and worth the money involved? Aside from the Dashhawk what else would I need to add to the Jeep to maximize the gains from the headers?

Thanks,
Jerry

tommy25000
04-17-2007, 08:28 AM

Is the performance increase noticeable and worth the money involved? Aside from the Dashhawk what else would I need to add to the Jeep to maximize the gains from the headers?

Thanks,
Jerry

nothing. your next move would be heads and a cam... the HP gain vs the $$
well everyone is different. according to the subaru guys where i was dynoed it was not cost efficent. for me it was the next step in my tuning. i will tell you that for me personally, i prob wouldnt have spent much more than i did on the mod. but if i got a new truck tomorrow i would order the headers again tomorrow night.

SOUTHERNHOTROD
04-17-2007, 08:54 AM

Thanks,
Jerry
If you decide on getting a set of KOOKS headers, give me a call. I'll give you a great deal. I can also get you a DashHawk.

Thanks!