heads and cam... reliable? [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: heads and cam... reliable?

tommy25000
04-07-2007, 06:36 AM
I would really like to do dr heads and cam in my jeep... does anyone know how a mod like this holds up over time...? pros/cons? what issues are most common and how soon??? is this a mod you can do, drive the truck hard, and not worry about things breaking in the motor?? any detailed advice and past experience would be greatly apreciated. thanks

UDLOSE
04-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Yeah same here.Is HHP a good company to use?

nyjpny
04-07-2007, 07:13 PM
i want heads and cam also want to hear more info
and as for hhp josh is a real good guy bought alot of stuff from them and will be getting more HHP IS A++ IN MY BOOK

GotStroke?
04-07-2007, 08:07 PM
As far as reliability is concerned, you're not going to hurt it much if at all. The stock bottom end can take the kind of power (and you're still running the same rpm) H/C provide N/A.
Going H/C N/A is much safer than running a power adder on the stock bottom end, no question.

tainui
04-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Have had heads/cam for 5k miles now and they work perfectly. It is fun to smoke first gear now and then but I would not do it again. Too much money for not enough gain.
I do not race but I wanted a downright scary fast car. After it all, my supercharged '90 mustang coupe solves that need better. I'd save my money next time.
My $0.02

GotStroke?
04-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Have had heads/cam for 5k miles now and they work perfectly. It is fun to smoke first gear now and then but I would not do it again. Too much money for not enough gain.
I do not race but I wanted a downright scary fast car. After it all, my supercharged '90 mustang coupe solves that need better. I'd save my money next time.
My $0.02

What kind of gains did you net, and whose heads/what cam did you use?

FastSRT8GC
04-07-2007, 08:35 PM
I am doing a ton at once so it will be hard to tell the gains just from the head and cam. But this is my take.

If you go with a mild cam you will not affect the over all drive ability and durability of the it. Going to a heavy cam yes you will have problems.

With the head more than likely your putting better springs, retainer etc. in so your duability should be fine. As long as you use quality head/machine shop.

The only bad i see is trying to keep your foot out of it;)