FAN MOD (do you mind) [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: FAN MOD (do you mind)

FastSRT8GC
04-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Ok, I have got the fan mod figured out, But it is very different then my origianal plans. Looking further into the fuse box and relay I have come to find that there is no wires going to the switch side of this relay. The PCM that controls this function is mounted directly to the fuse/relay box that feeds a circuit board.

I dont like testing PCM inputs and I dont want to run the switch through the PCM for fear of back feeding into it. So I found a very simple solution but in my mind it's a slight short cut. But it will work perfect.

We tap a wire to the switched(-) side of the removed relay,replace the relay and hook the wire to a grounded switch. Only problem is you will have a wire comming out of the top of your fuse box. But also makes it easy for removal on dealer visits;) If you all are ok with that i will carry on and document the install on the SRT .mac site of mine.

p.s. I feel this is the quickest, cheapest, safest, way. 0 cut factory wires, no 12V supply. Simple simple simple

SRedrockT8
04-06-2007, 08:54 PM
document away.;)

timster
04-06-2007, 09:24 PM
sounds great man. Looking forward to it.

FastSRT8GC
04-06-2007, 10:40 PM
FAN MOD is done on my end. Photos are take just have to do the write up and post. Mid day Saturday ;)

cobrakid
04-07-2007, 08:57 AM
....so what your saying is, pull the fan relay under the hood.....
....tap a wire into the negative side of the relay.....
....re-install the relay, take a toggle switch, connect to that wire,
and ground, for an easy under the hood at the track switch?

or you can run it inside for an anytime switch?

Is it that easy?

thanks,

snowed here, not taking Jeep out, want to tinker.

GRNENVY
04-07-2007, 11:32 AM
You guys are lucky Chris is so nice. With my 03 cobra I have all the little tricks like this and I always keep it to my self. :) :)

FastSRT8GC
04-07-2007, 12:44 PM
....so what your saying is, pull the fan relay under the hood.....
....tap a wire into the negative side of the relay.....
....re-install the relay, take a toggle switch, connect to that wire,
and ground, for an easy under the hood at the track switch?

or you can run it inside for an anytime switch?

Is it that easy?

thanks,

snowed here, not taking Jeep out, want to tinker.

Yep thats about all of it. I almost have the page done. My wife dragged me to the Mall YEEHA so much fun, but I will finish it now;)

FastSRT8GC
04-07-2007, 02:13 PM
DONE

http://web.mac.com/drivenphotography/iWeb/Family%20Site/Jeep%20SRT8.html

BuilderBill
04-07-2007, 02:43 PM
WoeDONE

http://web.mac.com/drivenphotography/iWeb/Family%20Site/Jeep%20SRT8.html Wow FAST, that is the easiest version yet. May need to rethink my GSM type installation.

FastSRT8GC
04-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Yea very easy ....but we are researching one problem.

Problem corrected never mind.... I am retarded. I grabbed the Lo instead of the HI Web site updated with the correct photos.

cobrakid
04-07-2007, 03:37 PM
...thanks alot.

That was so quick and easy, it was almost scary.

I did an underhood mount for now.

That way if I get to the track tomorrow, I can ice the intake and
crank the fan up while in the staging lanes.

Inferno SRT8
04-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Want a quicker and cheaper fan mod? Pull the low speed fan relay, the ECU thinks there is a problem with the low fan speed circuit and turns on the high speed on the fan 100%

GRNENVY
04-07-2007, 05:05 PM
Damn it takes a ford man to help out a mopar/mini cooper guy. LOLOL

Yea very easy ....but we are researching one problem.

Problem corrected never mind.... I am retarded. I grabbed the Lo instead of the HI Web site updated with the correct photos.

GRNENVY
04-07-2007, 05:08 PM
We already new that trick just never posted about it.

Want a quicker and cheaper fan mod? Pull the low speed fan relay, the ECU thinks there is a problem with the low fan speed circuit and turns on the high speed on the fan 100%

Inferno SRT8
04-07-2007, 05:11 PM
We already new that trick just never posted about it.

EXCUSEEEE ME!! :D

BTW very nice write up and web page Fast!

GRNENVY
04-07-2007, 05:17 PM
LOLOL Dude just playing around

Inferno SRT8
04-07-2007, 05:19 PM
LOLOL Dude just playing around

I know man its all good, thats why I :D you!

FastSRT8GC
04-07-2007, 08:24 PM

Thanks, You BETTER find that site helpful and like it. Because my wife hates it.

She is starting to sound like the Charlie Brown Teacher....

GotStroke?
04-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks, You BETTER find that site helpful and like it. Because my wife hates it.

She is starting to sound like the Charlie Brown Teacher....

LMAO, I hear that. My GF tried to tell me today that I was done modding the Jeep, as she had enough with the Cobra. I laughed pretty hard until I realized that I was going to have to find an improved hiding spot for my cookie jar. :eek: Sounds like we'll be having a few rounds.

FastSRT8GC
04-07-2007, 09:31 PM
LMAO, I hear that. My GF tried to tell me today that I was done modding the Jeep, as she had enough with the Cobra. I laughed pretty hard until I realized that I was going to have to find an improved hiding spot for my cookie jar. :eek: Sounds like we'll be having a few rounds.

Drink up. I will share my secretes and you can share yours. We should be able to out smart them.....MAYBE:confused:

NitroCrzy
04-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Does the Traction Control mod actually disable it? Is this different than the goofy factory switch that doesn't actually disable the thing. I'm thinking of doing the mod and just running it to the factory switch :D

FastSRT8GC
04-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Does the Traction Control mod actually disable it? Is this different than the goofy factory switch that doesn't actually disable the thing. I'm thinking of doing the mod and just running it to the factory switch :D

Yes very different. The abs controls the Traction control and by removing the power to the Module you have NO TC and NO ABS.
Be careful using the factory switch. Its not an on/off switch its a momentary switch, I think, So you would have to hold it down while driving to shut it off or turn it on. Not a good option while spinning your tires:rolleyes:

NitroCrzy
04-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Excellent... and thanks for putting the info up so quickly. I'm very eager to try out these mods...

DavesSRT8
04-11-2007, 07:06 AM
Tried this mod on my 07 (build date 02/19/07).

Engine off, fan switches on w/Switch

Engine running, throws DTC P0480 Fan 1 low speed control malfunction. I could not reset this with engine running, had to shut off to reset w/Dashhawk, which resets I/M monitor drive cycle. I do not want to do this all the time, since the EVAP I/M monitor takes so long to reset and I do not want to throw P1000 codes during state inspection (drive cycle incomplete) for Pennsylvania, where you fail on P1000 (unless <5K miles since last inspection)

For now, will only run fans w/key OFF to cool radiator and monitor batt voltage w/Dashhawk so i don't run it down at track.

We need a tuner for this ASAP. i was spoiled coming from the Lightning world, with the tuning options and settings. This is ridiculous that you cannot control fan turn on temps.

Dave
2007 JGCSRT8

Go~RillaWRX
04-11-2007, 07:28 AM
Great site. I love it. I will be doing the TC and fan mod, untill we get a locker, then i will be doing the ediff mod as well. Drifting SRT8? I really appreciate your time on this little site and good luck with keeping the wifey at bay. Try telling her there is a handbag sale at coach...it worked for me. Keep up the good work.

FastSRT8GC
04-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Great site. I love it. I will be doing the TC and fan mod, untill we get a locker, then i will be doing the ediff mod as well. Drifting SRT8? I really appreciate your time on this little site and good luck with keeping the wifey at bay. Try telling her there is a handbag sale at coach...it worked for me. Keep up the good work.

YEA.. If i have another one of those purses in my closet that does not get used i will shoot her;) You name the Make, she has it.

NitroCrzy
04-11-2007, 12:45 PM
YEA.. If i have another one of those purses in my closet that does not get used i will shoot her;) You name the Make, she has it.

I hear ya... Ferragamo is the last one I had to buy..... grrrr :rolleyes:

Squilly D
04-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Tried this mod on my 07 (build date 02/19/07).

Engine off, fan switches on w/Switch

Engine running, throws DTC P0480 Fan 1 low speed control malfunction. I could not reset this with engine running, had to shut off to reset w/Dashhawk, which resets I/M monitor drive cycle. I do not want to do this all the time, since the EVAP I/M monitor takes so long to reset and I do not want to throw P1000 codes during state inspection (drive cycle incomplete) for Pennsylvania, where you fail on P1000 (unless <5K miles since last inspection)

For now, will only run fans w/key OFF to cool radiator and monitor batt voltage w/Dashhawk so i don't run it down at track.

We need a tuner for this ASAP. i was spoiled coming from the Lightning world, with the tuning options and settings. This is ridiculous that you cannot control fan turn on temps.

Dave
2007 JGCSRT8

I just tried this mod on my 2007 and I think I am having the same issues. When I started the car with the switch on I noticed the check engine light was on. I do not have a Dashhawk so I do not know what codes were thrown. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and the light was gone. Also, when I drove the car I did not notice it running any cooler. I have the 18 thermostat installed and with or without the fan mod it still stayed around 200. For all those who have done this mod is this problem unique to the 2007 or have the 2006 models experienced the same thing?

FastSRT8GC
04-12-2007, 03:31 PM
It might be a 2007 problem. I have been running mine with NO CEL. I have the 170 Stant and sitting in traffic it jumps to about 215-220. I turn on the fan and its 185 in minutes.

Are you using this on the Hi or Lo speed? I will try to figure out your problem but i dont have a 07 near me to R&D.

boomer
04-12-2007, 05:05 PM
DONE

http://web.mac.com/drivenphotography/iWeb/Family%20Site/Jeep%20SRT8.html
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your site is awsome! what would also be great would be if you had a description of what each mod does and approximate gains isf any. Keep up the great work!

Squilly D
04-12-2007, 05:39 PM
It might be a 2007 problem. I have been running mine with NO CEL. I have the 170 Stant and sitting in traffic it jumps to about 215-220. I turn on the fan and its 185 in minutes.

Are you using this on the Hi or Lo speed? I will try to figure out your problem but i dont have a 07 near me to R&D.
I tried it on the lo speed. Should I try it on the hi setting? I was going to but became concerned once I saw the CEL.

I appreciate your willingness to help with this problem and for putting the time and energy into the site.

FastSRT8GC
04-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Ok it seem that everyone having the problem is in the LO setting. GrenEnvy has an 06 using LO has the CEL also, so not just an 07 issue.

I am using high with no codes yet. This jeep has multiple fail safes in place so it more than likely sees it can not communicate with the Hi because the low is turned on. They automatically bypass each other.

Please try this. Disconnect the LO and Run the High. Only run the high when needed( not 24/7) This is exactly what i do and I have not had a CEL yet. Please Post your results here or Email/PM me here or with the site.

Thanks we will figure it out;)

Grip Grip
04-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Ok it seem that everyone having the problem is in the LO setting. GrenEnvy has an 06 using LO has the CEL also, so not just an 07 issue.
I am using high with no codes yet.

When I read the "fan on" instructions on your site it reads as follows:

"The one toward the battery is the LO the one toward the firewall is the HI. Both are wired the same so you can turn on either one... BUT NOT BOTH!.
We chose LO."

So did you use the Low setting or the High?

Thanks for your contribution.

Grip

FastSRT8GC
04-13-2007, 05:17 AM
When I read the "fan on" instructions on your site it reads as follows:

"The one toward the battery is the LO the one toward the firewall is the HI. Both are wired the same so you can turn on either one... BUT NOT BOTH!.
We chose LO."

So did you use the Low setting or the High?

Thanks for your contribution.

Grip

We did Lo first then before the Jeep left the ****** I changed it to Hi. I didnt plan on using it while driving much, mostly stopped at lights and cool downs at the track. So i switched it right a way.
Grenenvy did the LO, I walked him through the relay over the phone and his choice was the Lo since he doesnt race his like I do, He call me yesterday to tell me about the light.

I will change the site as soon as I get solid info on the fix

Grip Grip
04-13-2007, 05:41 AM
We did Lo first then before the Jeep left the ****** I changed it to Hi. I didnt plan on using it while driving much, mostly stopped at lights and cool downs at the track. So i switched it right a way.
Grenenvy did the LO, I walked him through the relay over the phone and his choice was the Lo since he doesnt race his like I do, He call me yesterday to tell me about the light.

I will change the site as soon as I get solid info on the fix

Thanks for clearing that up.

Now if you can only engineer a way to get rid of the two-wheel squeel. It looks so silly when I lauch and have one front and one rear spinning. :o

Having all four tires pulling would be wicked!!

Thanks again,

Grip

gculver
04-13-2007, 06:55 AM
Now if you can only engineer a way to get rid of the two-wheel squeel. It looks so silly when I lauch and have one front and one rear spinning. :o

Having all four tires pulling would be wicked!!

Grip

Now that would be a magical feat, since both diffs are single leg(open) diffs.

9900rpm
04-13-2007, 08:48 AM

I think ALL of us should email Quaife. If anyone can build an LSD unit for the front and rear for us, it would be them. Although they're a little bit pricey, I've used their products and they do work well.

My STi used to blaze all 4's when dumping it at 6krpm. Leaves 4 trails :D

nyjpny
04-13-2007, 10:38 AM
FastSRT8GC thanks and great sit i did all the mods you have on there i have a 07 also and same thing is going on when i got it on the low fan will try the hi side to see what up .I could not see me cutting the wires for the ediff of the t/c mod so i went on step ferther and took out the wire that went to the fuse and pun a connectore from another junk fuse box and cut that wirs here is a pic sorry for hijacking
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/nyjpny/Apr12_0002.jpghttp://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/nyjpny/Apr12_0004.jpghttp://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/nyjpny/Apr12_0006.jpg

FastSRT8GC
04-13-2007, 02:16 PM
I could weld them???:confused:

FastSRT8GC
04-13-2007, 02:20 PM
FastSRT8GC thanks and great sit i did all the mods you have on there i have a 07 also and same thing is going on when i got it on the low fan will try the hi side to see what up .I could not see me cutting the wires for the ediff of the t/c mod so i went on step ferther and took out the wire that went to the fuse and pun a connectore from another junk fuse box and cut that wirs here is a pic sorry for hijacking
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/nyjpny/Apr12_0002.jpghttp://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/nyjpny/Apr12_0004.jpghttp://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/nyjpny/Apr12_0006.jpg

This CEL has me very confused I have NO cel, even when i leave it on for a while. (high side) This might be an 07 thing. We will figure it out. Good thing is you can pull the wire and take it to the dealer and nobody will know the difference. But still a pain in the Booty!!!

Good call on the non cut. I Think this is another good way to do the mod. The less intrusion the better.

9900rpm
04-13-2007, 05:45 PM
I did the ediff and traction control mod last weekend, and did it in a similar manner. Instead of cutting, I used all kinds of different connectors on the fuse for ediff and ABS fusible link. That way everything can come out if the truck ever has to go to the dealership. I'm trying to think of a way to do it neater, maybe by opening up the fusible link. If I spend some time on it, I'm sure a plug-n-play kit can be fabbed up.

pjvreede
04-13-2007, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=FastSRT8GC]This CEL has me very confused I have NO cel, even when i leave it on for a while. (high side) This might be an 07 thing. We will figure it out. Good thing is you can pull the wire and take it to the dealer and nobody will know the difference. But still a pain in the Booty!!!

Fast:

I too had a similar problem when I tried to bypass the fan relay directly last summer. Inferno SRT8 helped me out, and came up the the following advice:
"disconnecting either the high or low fan relay will give you a CEL, so you have to leave the IPM relays untouched". What I noticed when you bypassed the LO speed relay directly (against Inferno SRT8's advice); when you started up the vehicle, you'd get a start up "test" of the fans that would check both the high, and then the low speed fan. If the low speed fan relay was directly bypassed, then a CEL would appear during this start-up test. The alternative approach resulted in plan "B": InfernoSRT8 posted a wiring diagram mod last summer that works with either the LO or the HIGH speed fan, but......, it does require cutting wires. I have done both the HIGH and LO fan bypass according to Inferno SRT8's wiring diagram, but have run my "06" with the LO fan speed mod for the past 9 months with no CEL's. (High speed fan bypass is way too noisy for my tastes, and I don't race my beast-thus no high speed fan bypass for me).Currently, my LO speed fan is on all the time, even in freezing temps with the 180 degree thermostat installed. I'm happy to post InfernoSRT8's wiring diagram, or anyone can PM me with questions. I'm personally not worried about cutting in to the wiring, but I made sure to protect the wire splicing with "liquid insulation" that is used in the marine industry.

Hope this helps

Pieter

FastSRT8GC
04-13-2007, 08:01 PM
[QUOTE=FastSRT8GC]This CEL has me very confused I have NO cel, even when i leave it on for a while. (high side) This might be an 07 thing. We will figure it out. Good thing is you can pull the wire and take it to the dealer and nobody will know the difference. But still a pain in the Booty!!!

Fast:

I too had a similar problem when I tried to bypass the fan relay directly last summer. Inferno SRT8 helped me out, and came up the the following advice:
"disconnecting either the high or low fan relay will give you a CEL, so you have to leave the IPM relays untouched". What I noticed when you bypassed the LO speed relay directly (against Inferno SRT8's advice); when you started up the vehicle, you'd get a start up "test" of the fans that would check both the high, and then the low speed fan. If the low speed fan relay was directly bypassed, then a CEL would appear during this start-up test. The alternative approach resulted in plan "B": InfernoSRT8 posted a wiring diagram mod last summer that works with either the LO or the HIGH speed fan, but......, it does require cutting wires. I have done both the HIGH and LO fan bypass according to Inferno SRT8's wiring diagram, but have run my "06" with the LO fan speed mod for the past 9 months with no CEL's. (High speed fan bypass is way too noisy for my tastes, and I don't race my beast-thus no high speed fan bypass for me).Currently, my LO speed fan is on all the time, even in freezing temps with the 180 degree thermostat installed. I'm happy to post InfernoSRT8's wiring diagram, or anyone can PM me with questions. I'm personally not worried about cutting in to the wiring, but I made sure to protect the wire splicing with "liquid insulation" that is used in the marine industry.

Hope this helps

Pieter

If you dont mind email it through My mod page and i will post the Diagram so everyone has it.

Also read the Fan mod and see if it is close to how you have yours done. There is no cutting and very straight forward, this is why i am confused with everyone else getting the CEL

DavesSRT8
04-13-2007, 08:02 PM
Fast:
OK, I had the CEL with the LO speed relay and your mod on my 2007. As you requested, I did the HI speed. Beat the heck out of it; idling, full pulls at WOT, etc. NO CEL (!). I cannot believe how fast HI speed cools truck. With 180 thermo, and after I let it sit to 215 degrees, I got to 187 degrees in under 2 minutes with fan on.

Definitely worth the simple time and effort to do this. Thanks again for the very nice website. I actually picked up 2/10ths on the Dashhawk in 0-60 times (consistently). Unlike some of the GPS and accelerometer based performance gages, since Dashhawk is plugged into OBD2 and picks up speed sensor, it should be highly accurate since it's just measure of time and speed. Consistent 0-60's in under 4 seconds now, believe it or not, w/power brake to 1800 RPM and ESP off. Actually got one in 3.76 seconds slightly downhill and with a tailwind. Crazy ......

thanks again !!!

Dave
2007 JGCSRT8

FastSRT8GC
04-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Good, I am sure this Mod works w/o complications. You are proof that the 07 will work fine also. We have a bit more testing with all the other on here and lets see if other have the same problem. I will edit the directions to read Hi switch only.

I can see if you ground the wrong post how you could cause some problems.

Lets have everyone that has done this mod check in with your results so we can have some definite answers. Last thing i want is this website to cause problems for people and makes me look like a fool.

Fast:
OK, I had the CEL with the LO speed relay and your mod on my 2007. As you requested, I did the HI speed. Beat the heck out of it; idling, full pulls at WOT, etc. NO CEL (!). I cannot believe how fast HI speed cools truck. With 180 thermo, and after I let it sit to 215 degrees, I got to 187 degrees in under 2 minutes with fan on.

Definitely worth the simple time and effort to do this. Thanks again for the very nice website. I actually picked up 2/10ths on the Dashhawk in 0-60 times (consistently). Unlike some of the GPS and accelerometer based performance gages, since Dashhawk is plugged into OBD2 and picks up speed sensor, it should be highly accurate since it's just measure of time and speed. Consistent 0-60's in under 4 seconds now, believe it or not, w/power brake to 1800 RPM and ESP off. Actually got one in 3.76 seconds slightly downhill and with a tailwind. Crazy ......

thanks again !!!

Dave
2007 JGCSRT8

DavesSRT8
04-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Fast:
in no way would anyone think of you as a fool. You are trying to help everyone out by posting a very nice, meticulously designed website for everyone to reference. Trial and error are part of the process, since DCX does not give us much options for tuning. You are doing a great job - keep up the good work !

Dave

FastSRT8GC
04-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Fast:
in no way would anyone think of you as a fool. You are trying to help everyone out by posting a very nice, meticulously designed website for everyone to reference. Trial and error are part of the process, since DCX does not give us much options for tuning. You are doing a great job - keep up the good work !

Dave

Thanks Bro, Where is the tear smiley??? LOL

Yes I just hope most understand that this whole thing is trial and error, most of those errors will be to my jeep and the working end result will be for all of you guys!!

SRedrockT8
04-14-2007, 07:58 AM
Thanks Bro, Where is the tear smiley??? LOL

Yes I just hope most understand that this whole thing is trial and error, most of those errors will be to my jeep and the working end result will be for all of you guys!!

don't stop what you're doing. great site.

sprsonic
04-15-2007, 09:14 AM
just added my fan mod and it does cool down the engine in no time at all. nice work on your web site and thanks for all the in depth instructions.

FastSRT8GC
04-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks, I have updated the site, Just letting everyone know that the Lo side will give you a CEL. We have no reports thus far with the Hi side. Also I went a little over kill with the 10gauge in my list of supplies, so we changed it to 16gauge wire.

Thank you all for your compliments. I will do my best to continue to supply easy descriptive mods. If you can think of any to add or have a request for one let me know and i will try my best!!

nyjpny
04-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Fast it work on he hi side for the 07 .was at the track yesterday and it worked like a charm while i was in the lanes waiting to race car never hit 180 with fan on wow it was crazy when i ran and came back to the pit i left it running when i went to start the car it was like 100 so when i got to the line 140 made power ran a 12.96 stock truck!! lol guys work in there car and was going slower lol.
jp

timster
04-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Thank you all for your compliments. I will do my best to continue to supply easy descriptive mods. If you can think of any to add or have a request for one let me know and i will try my best!!

The site looks great. One question on the fan mod - how do you remove the front knee guard? Does it just swing open, or is it latched? I just breifly tried to remove it but wasn't able to get it open.

nyjpny
04-15-2007, 11:34 AM
The site looks great. One question on the fan mod - how do you remove the front knee guard? Does it just swing open, or is it latched? I just breifly tried to remove it but wasn't able to get it open.
the knee guard pulls down then you can unlatch it really easy just pull down from top and will unclip, will not beak .

FastSRT8GC
04-15-2007, 01:32 PM
the knee guard pulls down then you can unlatch it really easy just pull down from top and will unclip, will not beak .

What he said.... I have noticed that the right side is tighter than the left. Just put your hand in the hole where the steering column is and pull towards you.

It will swing open toward the floor of the drivers seat.

timster
04-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Thanks - it pulled right down. I was afraid I was going to break it if I pulled on it to hard

Go~RillaWRX
04-18-2007, 11:30 AM
where do i find this Fisheye/Ring connector?

FastSRT8GC
04-18-2007, 03:49 PM
where do i find this Fisheye/Ring connector?

Autoparts or Radioshack should sell ring terminals