asm supercharger... [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: asm supercharger...

tommy25000
04-04-2007, 06:47 PM
I just got off the phone with asm. they blower will be out in 3 weeks... but who is going to pay $7,500 for 100 RWhp???? thats not including install!!!
i have had many american vehicles and tuned them all... this is a german luxury car price!!!!! im not supercharging an M3 or S4!
it ould seem the better bang for you buck would be heads and a cam...
anyone have input on this subject?

4DRHTRD
04-04-2007, 07:11 PM
As a local (AZ) guy I can tell you DO NOT BUY ANYTHING from Arizona Speed and Marine.

FastSRT8GC
04-04-2007, 07:12 PM
HUM... well they were 4weeks out 3 weeks ago. I guess that is what happens with a new product.

If he gets it running I will buy it. I really want the Turbo but still love the sound of my vortech blowers. This will be 100HP with a very conservative pulley 5 psi. With my heads 2-3 psi. So i will quickly up the boost. I plan on running as much boost as the computer will handle. I believe this is the problem. ASM will not run a lot of boost for fear of getting taken to the bank.

Once i see the A/F start to lean i will tone it down or keep as is depending on the #'s. Then run her till she pops and call Bill to see how the 426 is.;)

tommy25000
04-04-2007, 08:20 PM
HUM... well they were 4weeks out 3 weeks ago. I guess that is what happens with a new product.

If he gets it running I will buy it. I really want the Turbo but still love the sound of my vortech blowers. This will be 100HP with a very conservative pulley 5 psi. With my heads 2-3 psi. So i will quickly up the boost. I plan on running as much boost as the computer will handle. I believe this is the problem. ASM will not run a lot of boost for fear of getting taken to the bank.

Once i see the A/F start to lean i will tone it down or keep as is depending on the #'s. Then run her till she pops and call Bill to see how the 426 is.;)

you sound like you have a little more money for your hobbie than most of us... if you got it use it. i love the sound of a supercharger also but... its still alot of money... please let us know how it goes when you get it.

HoustonSRT-8
04-04-2007, 08:23 PM
You keep forgetting that this is a limited demand vehicle. so I don't see $7500 as too expensive, especially when compared to Hennessey.

FastSRT8GC
04-04-2007, 08:25 PM
you sound like you have a little more money for your hobbie than most of us... if you got it use it. i love the sound of a supercharger also but... its still alot of money... please let us know how it goes when you get it.

Only till the wife figures out where its going:o

domcall
04-04-2007, 08:31 PM
As a local (AZ) guy I can tell you DO NOT BUY ANYTHING from Arizona Speed and Marine.

Why do you say, do not buy anything from asm.

tommy25000
04-04-2007, 08:32 PM
You keep forgetting that this is a limited demand vehicle. so I don't see $7500 as too expensive, especially when compared to Hennessey.

if the ecu/pcm what ever jeep calls it was not such a mess to tune, there would be a kenne belle and a whipple .... etc. it just kinda pisses me off.
love the truck just some things about it... and i know that this is the same for all vehicle non are perfect (besides the lambo LP640 :D ). but we all get to b*tch somtimes.

HoustonSRT-8
04-04-2007, 08:51 PM
(besides the lambo LP640 :D )

Care to discuss the longevity of that car? ;)

BuilderBill
04-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Please enlighten us!
I have a 50% deposit on the supercharger and will be meeting with Jim next Thursday. I do not need to get in a deal like some of the guys here with vendor problems like Heat heads that don't work or valve springs that break etc. etc.
So far I feel very comfortable or I would not have committed.
I chose AZ on their reputation, if I made a mistake I can cut my loss now. Very puzzled.
Bill

FastSRT8GC
04-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Please enlighten us!
I have a 50% deposit on the supercharger and will be meeting with Jim next Thursday. I do not need to get in a deal like some of the guys here with vendor problems like Heat heads that don't work or valve springs that break etc. etc.
So far I feel very comfortable or I would not have committed.
I chose AZ on their reputation, if I made a mistake I can cut my loss now. Very puzzled.
Bill

I am with you Bill. You seem to have a better contact. They still have not pulled the money out of my account for this charger, And this is three weeks and talking to 3 different people to make sure my kit is on hold. I am starting to get cold feet...BURRR.:confused:

BuilderBill
04-04-2007, 09:39 PM
I am with you Bill. You seem to have a better contact. They still have not pulled the money out of my account for this charger, And this is three weeks and talking to 3 different people to make sure my kit is on hold. I am starting to get cold feet...BURRR.:confused:
Fast,
You know I will give you and the Forum the straight scoop after my visit next week. I am keeping an open mind, they are VERY busy but from talking to them as well as my tuner / installer guy communicating with them, I am still confident. These guys are NOT some part time outfit that is re-selling someone else's parts they don't understand. My goal is to have the "Lingenfelter" of Jeeps when finished in a couple of months. Note I did NOT write the "Hennessey" of Jeeps. He should be smelling OUR exhausts soon. LOL
Bill

4DRHTRD
04-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Their reputation locally is HORRIBLE, they can never get a complete product out that works the way they describe. They are over priced and have a complete lack of knowledge of what they do. They will convince you that they can do the work and make it right but the fact is they can't. I have had several friends that have spend tens of thousands of dollars with them only to have a lack of performance, lack of tuning etc and that's with GM cars which they were supposedly tied in with the factory on.

DON'T BUY FROM ASM!!!!

StageFright
04-04-2007, 10:20 PM
I hope these people don't become ASM guinea pigs, if the blower manufacturers don't introduce a kit I would not want a one-off kit.

BTW, $7500 is WAY too much for a centrifugal blower kit.

4DRHTRD
04-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Remember, I'll be the first guy on here laughing my ass off and SCREAMING I TOLD YOU SO if you are dumb enough to buy from these guys.

StageFright
04-04-2007, 10:26 PM

A blower kit is a head unit,some plumbing, and a pulley system, nothing fancy, you can pick up a centrifugal head unit for less than $3000, is the plumbing and belt system worth $4500?

HoustonSRT-8
04-04-2007, 10:31 PM
A blower kit is a head unit,some plumbing, and a pulley system, nothing fancy, you can pick up a centrifugal head unit for less than $3000, is the plumbing and belt system worth $4500?
I didn't say it was a good price. I said it wasn't too expensive. How much do one-off kits cost from other companies? Remember that ASM isn't reproducing this kit, but creating it from scratch so they are having to fabricate everything as well as provide a piggyback unit for the upgraded fuel system.

GotStroke?
04-05-2007, 12:48 AM
I think the price has more to do with the limited sales potential of the kit (based on our build numbers alone) than anything else. I learned yesterday that a pulley, tune, and TB for a blown V8 AMG Benz is $8500 (including labor). Pretty crazy.

StageFright
04-05-2007, 01:07 AM
How much do one-off kits cost from other companies?

Andy from A&A Corvettes put out a complete intercooled Vortech kit for the C5 Corvette for $5995 which includes injectors,upgraded fuel pump,and a upgraded BOV, he also provided a custom tuned PCM for $100 extra.

This kit was very successful, he started with the basic kit from the manufacturer and improved it, and I am sure he is making a nice profit at $5995.

A&A kit (https://www.aandacorvette.com/cart/show_items.asp?MainCatID=18)

HoustonSRT-8
04-05-2007, 07:32 AM
Andy from A&A Corvettes put out a complete intercooled Vortech kit for the C5 Corvette for $5995 which includes injectors,upgraded fuel pump,and a upgraded BOV, he also provided a custom tuned PCM for $100 extra.

This kit was very successful, he started with the basic kit from the manufacturer and improved it, and I am sure he is making a nice profit at $5995.

A&A kit (https://www.aandacorvette.com/cart/show_items.asp?MainCatID=18)
And he also knows that he has the potential to sell a lot more of those kits due to the number of C5s out there. ASM doesn't forsee selling a lot of these kits. Like I mentioned in my first post and GotStroke mentioned as well, the limited sales potential drives the price up.

FastSRT8GC
04-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Remember, I'll be the first guy on here laughing my ass off and SCREAMING I TOLD YOU SO if you are dumb enough to buy from these guys.

I am very interested in where your coming from. What problem did you have. From everyone else, this is a high end top notch company. THey have had contracts with GM, and other large manufactures. They also have been around for 20 some odd years. Companies with bad raps don't last that long in this field.

A little backing to your comments will give them much more validity.

I expect an upset customer here and there but I have talked to many different people with a broad range of vehicles and no one has heard bad things.

PLEASE PLEASE Enlighten us!!!!:confused:

domcall
04-06-2007, 05:46 AM
Well said.

4DRHTRD
04-06-2007, 03:23 PM
I said it all, I have had 4 different local guys, 1 being a good friend of mine all do upgrades from them. All of them didn't perform to the expectations that was given them by ASM, they didn't run right, they smoked etc. They're known for being over priced and not coming through with a good reliable finished product here locally.

slow91
04-06-2007, 06:20 PM
I said it all, I have had 4 different local guys, 1 being a good friend of mine all do upgrades from them.

I always question the words of someone that didn't directly deal with an organization.

It would be good if your "good friend" could chime in here.

All of them didn't perform to the expectations that was given them by ASM, they didn't run right, they smoked etc.

What's to say there wasn't an underlying problem that needed to be addressed.........or possibly an issue that was no fault of theirs.

They're known for being over priced and not coming through with a good reliable finished product here locally.

Hell, I own a car stereo shop and lose business to Besy Buy because of the name of their store. They are overpriced and do poor quality work a lot of times but people still go there.

.....and how many Vette's are on the road......compared to the GC SRT-8???
If "Andy" is so good, let's call him up and get him to crack the code of this beast and let the tuning begin. ....or wait, he probably will need to wait and "copy" what others pioneered before "his kit" comes out.

And he also knows that he has the potential to sell a lot more of those kits due to the number of C5s out there. ASM doesn't forsee selling a lot of these kits. Like I mentioned in my first post and GotStroke mentioned as well, the limited sales potential drives the price up.

Exactamundo!!!

*popcorn*

StageFright
04-06-2007, 09:42 PM
And he also knows that he has the potential to sell a lot more of those kits due to the number of C5s out there.

All he knows is that if his kits were junk he won't sell anything, he offered a great kit at a great price and therefore the sales rolled in, he was in direct competition with Vortech, Paxton, and Procharger.

Every vette owner knows about the "Corvette Tax".

HoustonSRT-8
04-08-2007, 09:23 PM
All he knows is that if his kits were junk he won't sell anything, he offered a great kit at a great price and therefore the sales rolled in, he was in direct competition with Vortech, Paxton, and Procharger.

Every vette owner knows about the "Corvette Tax".

What does that have to do with the number of C5 owners looking for supercharger kits vs. the number of GC SRT-8 owners looking for supercharger kits? Basic Supply And Demand economics.

4DRHTRD
06-19-2008, 08:04 PM
I always question the words of someone that didn't directly deal with an organization.

It would be good if your "good friend" could chime in here.

What's to say there wasn't an underlying problem that needed to be addressed.........or possibly an issue that was no fault of theirs.

Hell, I own a car stereo shop and lose business to Besy Buy because of the name of their store. They are overpriced and do poor quality work a lot of times but people still go there.

.....and how many Vette's are on the road......compared to the GC SRT-8???
If "Andy" is so good, let's call him up and get him to crack the code of this beast and let the tuning begin. ....or wait, he probably will need to wait and "copy" what others pioneered before "his kit" comes out.

Exactamundo!!!

*popcorn*

Looks like I won this little debate...
:D
http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10094