K&N Drop In [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: K&N Drop In

squigmang
03-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Hey,
Was wondering if anyone that has used the K&N air filter noticed any results in HP gains or sound?
any input is appericiated as usual.

GotStroke?
03-30-2007, 11:44 AM
There are dyno #s somewhere in this thread: (link removed by admin) In short, yes, you will pick up a few horses.

Eh2BRUTEh
03-30-2007, 12:01 PM
BDNJ from this forum put me onto K&N filter replacement on Mopar CAI filter. Installed last night. Seems to be breathing better but only proof is seat of the pants right now.

GRNENVY
03-31-2007, 07:36 PM
After seeing and doing some testing down the track with my truck and FastSRT8GC. (Chris) I would say skip the drop in filter which I also have and just buy the Volant seems to be a proven kit and it's made real nice. I will be testing a 4 inch pwr pipe on the truck with a 10inch conical filter very soon.

theoneyoucantreplace
03-31-2007, 07:40 PM
I found the K & N not to be aggressive enough in performance and sound. However, it does look the nicest of all the systems under the hood.

I have the Mopar and I am impressed!

Mango
03-31-2007, 07:42 PM
Can anyone tell me the EXACT K&N filter that replaces the mopar one on the Mopar CAI?

BDNJ
04-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Can anyone tell me the EXACT K&N filter that replaces the mopar one on the Mopar CAI?

K&N Part # E 0773. It is only 3.75" x 9"; a little snug, but will clamp up fine. It really increases the cfm to help with the higher flow mods.

Eh2BRUTEh
04-02-2007, 10:15 AM
K&N Part # E 0773. It is only 3.75" x 9"; a little snug, but will clamp up fine. It really increases the cfm to help with the higher flow mods.

I followed BDNJ's advice and put the K&N filter onto my Mopar CAI. On my CAI there was a rubber sleeve that connected the old cone Mopar filter to the down pipe. I used that again as I just could not stretch the K&N wide enough to get the fit to work. I took off the old cone and sleeve and then attached the sleeve to the new K&N filter and then installed. Way easier in my case. Like the reults so far but could use another 150 HP.:D

DavesSRT8
04-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Did the K&N drop in, and removed the resonator cup at bottom of airbox (just 3 clips). ran a 3" ID hose, which clamps right onto the resonator cup extension, to a scoop i put in right beside the air cond condensor (on passenger side). seems to keep IAT right near ambient, when measured with Dashhawk. Dashhawk has an AAT (ambient air temp) and IAT choice, which I have been keeping an eye on and logging. Both are within several degrees of each other when rolling. Does not rise too much when stopped, since i am not seeing the hot air from pavement vs if I had just removed resonator cup and allowed hot air to rise into airbox.

Seems to help. Although I have not been to track yet with changes, the Dashhawk best time before for 0-60 was 4.19 seconds WITH K&N drop in ONLY, after, 3.93 (k&n + scoop). This was with ESP ON, powerbrake to 1800 RPM, same ambient temps, same day of change to air intake. For some reason, my 2007 gets better times w/ESP ON, not OFF.

Best run all stock, was 13.28 @103, will see what it does with this change. I wanted the stock look with any help it could get. I went through all the CAI stuff with my last Lightning and found modifying the airbox like this helped just as much as all the CAI's out there - more stealthy too.

still have not regretted getting rid of Lightning - love this Jeep !

Dave
2007 JGCSRT8

BDNJ
04-02-2007, 10:30 AM
I followed BDNJ's advice and put the K&N filter onto my Mopar CAI. On my CAI there was a rubber sleeve that connected the old cone Mopar filter to the down pipe. I used that again as I just could not stretch the K&N wide enough to get the fit to work. I took off the old cone and sleeve and then attached the sleeve to the new K&N filter and then installed. Way easier in my case. Like the reults so far but could use another 150 HP.:D

Lol....I knew we fiddled around to make it fit! Sure was worth it though. I never would have believed it if we didn't do back to back dyno runs with each filter. Huge gains.*

*This is with the higher flow DR head/cam/Kook's already on!

GRNENVY
04-02-2007, 03:32 PM
I'm a big fan of the stock air box modified mine is also. But I know Chris's Jeep is faster then mine and the volant is half the reason. At the track we are neck and neck until the second half where his truck starts to pull pretty good. I'm going to be trying some diff stuff on my truck. I will keep you guys posted I think these trucks need alot more air then I thought originally. This isn't a small motor.