Wow!! a cheap way for a little more juice [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Wow!! a cheap way for a little more juice

ndm
03-29-2007, 12:06 PM
This is only temporary. I was driving today and noticed it was kinda cold so I turned the heat all the way up. I noticed that after a couple minutes the temp was dropping. I then noticed that the jeep seemed to run better. It seemed way more responsive. So I got to thinking, when your car is going to overheat, you can turn on the heat and it can keep the temp under control in an emergency situation. So is that what was happening here?

I think so.

So I tried it a few more times. Let the car heat up and then turn on the heat. Again and again it did the same thing. So if the gains from the thermostat/ fan mod actually work like the say they do. then this should add just a little more.

I even tried to let the jeep cool down at highway speeds. It didnt work. But sure enough about a minute after I turned on the heat the temp dropped like crazy.

I think I need to get the tstat and try this then.
It seems like turning the heat all the way up is the best.

The only problem I see is obvious.(duh youll sweat like crazy on a summer day) I just opened the windows and floored it. The heat vacated the cabin fast.

I just figured I would post this for you guys. Maybe at the track, someone can use it to keep their jeep just a tad cooler, ultimately making more power.

Hope it helps!!

jlandbl
03-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Just drive with only a speedo on, that should offset the heat being on full.

HoustonSRT-8
03-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Just drive with only a speedo on, that should offset the heat being on full.
When I first read that, I was a little confused because I thought you were talking about the speedometer. :D

Razorecko
03-29-2007, 01:17 PM
This is pretty normal for any sports vehicle. Heat is a power killer, and blasting ac heats things up even more. Thats why some hardcore street cars do away with the ac system entirely. But yea blasting heat is going to take some heat away from the engine. Its too humid in chicago in the summer to do that so i'll take the hp loss over sweating my balls off.

jlandbl
03-29-2007, 01:18 PM
When I first read that, I was a little confused because I thought you were talking about the speedometer. :D

This should clarify.....
http://www.speedousa.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.browse/categoryID/4c5cf9ad-0385-449f-b881-e5bb18a1edac/

barho
03-29-2007, 01:31 PM
This should clarify.....
http://www.speedousa.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.browse/categoryID/4c5cf9ad-0385-449f-b881-e5bb18a1edac/

OOOOOO.........Hi sailor ;)

jeep-girl
03-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Thats exactly how my boyfriend keeps his '63 Nova from overheating. Turn on the heater and roll down the windows. :)
Hey thanks for the Speedo link....finally something for me.:D

ndm
03-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Thats exactly how my boyfriend keeps his '63 Nova from overheating. Turn on the heater and roll down the windows. :)
Hey thanks for the Speedo link....finally something for me.:D

Hehehe!!!

I got......

On second thought Ill just keep that to myself!!!HEHEH!!

HoustonSRT-8
03-29-2007, 02:55 PM
This should clarify.....
Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!1 My eyes, my eyes!

OBSRT8
03-29-2007, 09:54 PM
Back in the early fifties that was a trick we always used when things got too hot under the hood. It works.We had a 35 Ford coupe that we raced 1/4 mile circle track that we installed an oversize heater from a buick that kept the temps down enough to finish a race.The good old days.