Fiat to Kill-Off Nine Chrysler Group Vehicles Including Sebring, Grand Caravan [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Fiat to Kill-Off Nine Chrysler Group Vehicles Including Sebring, Grand Caravan

Administrator
10-28-2009, 09:24 AM
http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/d/103483-4/090908_AR_MiToMultiAir_01.jpg

A week ahead of a planned Fiat/Chrysler press conference in which Sergio Marchionne, the CEO of both automakers, was to outline the future of Chrysler, much of the information has been revealed in an in-depth report in the Wall Street Journal. But before we get to the new products that the Italian-owned automaker is planning to bring into the North American marketplace, it's time to learn the fate of the vehicles being axed. And judging from the list, it appears as though Fiat is intent on moving its products in and Chrysler's products out.

The vehicles to be cut include the Chrysler PT Cruiser and Sebring. On the Dodge side, four models will be eliminated, including the Caliber, Nitro, Avenger and Grand Caravan. Three Jeeps will also meet their maker: the Commander, Compass and Patriot.

In place of these vehicles Fiat is ready to announce the introduction of the 500 in 2011, along with three Alfa Romeo vehicles: the MiTo (shown above), Milano (which will replace the 147) and another yet unnamed mid-sized sedan.

The rest of the plan will see the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger redesigned in 2011, with the Grand Cherokee due out soon. And with only two Chrysler products left, the rumored decision to axe that brand's name may just happen.

The Wall Street Journal made no mention of past reports that the Fiat Panda would see its way to the U.S. as a Jeep. There is also no word on if the Fiat 500 will be offered in just it's standard hatchback form, or if a convertible and sporty Abarth version will also join the product lineup.

More: Breaking: Fiat to Kill-Off Nine Chrysler Group Vehicles Including Sebring, Grand Caravan (http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2009/10/breaking-fiat-to-kill-off-nine-chrysler-group-vehicles-including-sebring-grand-caravan.html) on AutoGuide.com

suzieque
10-28-2009, 09:39 AM
well, I've been a chrysler fan for a long time and I can say I won't miss any of those discontinued vehicles as I hadn't planned to look at buying any of those. I am a bit surprised by the grand caravan, I thought it was a good seller.

One vehicle that I was pleasantly surprised with the ride was the Dodge Nitro. Lots of interior space, great suspension and seats that are more comfortable than my Cherokee. My wife said it was an ugly vehicle, so we all know that wimmen influence the buying decision.

Grip Grip
10-28-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm a little surprised the Caliber is already getting the axe. I guess the SRT4 versions will be real collector items from their low production numbers.

soon
10-28-2009, 12:25 PM
bring on Italian interiors!

eddiefig
10-28-2009, 03:06 PM
"The rest of the plan will see the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger redesigned in 2011, with the Grand Cherokee due out soon. And with only two Chrysler products left, the rumored decision to axe that brand's name may just happen."

What does that part mean with the 2 Chrysler products left and axing the brand's name? Does it mean axing the Chrysler name all together?

pjs1965
10-28-2009, 07:13 PM
There will be 3 cars left:
300C
Town & Country
new mid-sized sedan (based on 200C concept car?)

We'll have to see how they manage the Alfa Romeo's and Fiat 500 selling from the same dealerships.

Rose City GC SRT8
10-29-2009, 10:04 AM
This action is appropriate. None of these cars break any new ground. They are not competitive domestically and are laughable on the international market.

soon
10-29-2009, 10:27 AM
wow..it will be the Fiat 300c srt8 (eehhhh)

-Chris-
10-30-2009, 02:54 PM
I am thinking that there might not be an SRT in the future...

navyavi469
10-30-2009, 04:41 PM
I could never figure out why corporate executives and bean counters have such poor vision when it comes to marketing cars. Personally I'm glad to see them trimming the fat, a lot of the vehicles on that list deserve to die a slow painful death. However, moving their gaudy and precocious smurf cars into the american market without restyling and rebading is a bad idea. Fiat has been around a long time, and it has no brand appeal other than people wanting to avoid it.

What they're lacking is a good tiered marketing scheme with brand identity. Dodge should always be the working man's car, and should aim to corner the market that brands like chevy and toyota occupy.

Chrysler should be priced 30-50% higher to compete with cadillac, MB, Lexus, and BMW.

Jeep only needs two models, grand cherokee and wrangler. Personally, ditch the wrangler brand, its not a bluejean, and bring back the CJ-X labeling scheme. A jeep is a jeep, its not a truck, its not crossover, its not an economy car, its a friggin jeep, we dont need seven jeep vehicles.

Keep the SRT brand for sure, but stop hyphenating things with the number of cylinders. All you need to know its that its the SRT trim.

Dodge: SRT Challenger, SRT Charger (Incorporate the Magnum into the redesigned Charger as a wagon option, just like all the other auto makers do it)

Jeep: SRT Cherokee (get rid of the "grand cherokee", what the hell is a "grand cherokee"? Is that an indian person who is feeling really " grand"?? The whole point of putting an adjective in front of a noun was to differentiate the model from the regular cherokee at the time when the two models existed. The cherokee hasn't been around for damn near a decade.

Chrysler 200 SRT, 300 SRT, and 500 SRT. Do a numbering scheme just like BMW or Mercedes to help buyer identify type and expense at a glance. The SRT's should be a high level performance option group just like AMG is for mercedes, and easily recognizable on the street as something that will snap through corners, roar down a strip, and offer incredible luxury.

Plymouth... yes, I said Plymouth. Bring the name back as limited production items. Modernize the fleet of SRT vehicles to compete directly with Lexus and AMG, and use this brand for "RETRO" vehicles or specialty vehicles. Stop trying to make your main brands as retro-mobiles like mustang and camaro.

2011 Plymouth Superbird... take the new Charger chasis and restyle it to be a superbird. Drop in a supercharged VVT 392 Hemi with comparable output to the ZR1's LS9 motor ~600hp. Charge 55K for it and you will outsell both the cobras and Camaros. Make a limited run of 10,000/yr.

2011 Plymouth Fury V....... I like the idea of competing with the sport compacts with this idea. A 3.0L 6-cyl turbo AWD hatch/sedan with 395hp, 6 speed manaual, and an AWD system comparable to the EVO's. Make the thing corner like its on rails and easy to tune with a strong 6-bolt main cast iron block Inline-6. It will be the new supra of is day. Limited run of 10,000/yr.

Blown-WK
11-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Great ideas Winston, unfortunately somebody who has a real vision like you can never get into the position to make these things happen. It never makes it past the bean counters who axe the ideas before their even put on paper. If we had an automaker employed with REAL auto lovers and performance-minded individuals we could get somewhere.