headers installed... 12hours [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: headers installed... 12hours

tommy25000
03-24-2007, 04:36 AM
The kooks headers are now installed. The directions from kooks were completely BS. If I can give advice to anyone doing this in the future just drop the motor... DO NOT FOLLOW THEIR STEP BY STEP.

moving on. they sound great feel great. i already got a CEL, but, i have a dash hawk so no big deal.

I ordered and recieved the cat sims from hennessey today after the install...
I have never been ripped off this bad in my life. 2 metal adapters, $100 and they only do COD no credit cards. that company is BULLSH*T.

I will be installing the recently ordered cam in 2 weeks... damn these trucks are fast.

tommy25000
03-24-2007, 05:12 AM
Does anyone know if i should keep my jet stage 2 chip in with the headers????
all opinions welcome.

Grip Grip
03-24-2007, 08:37 AM
[QUOTE=tommy25000]

I ordered and recieved the cat sims from hennessey today after the install...
I have never been ripped off this bad in my life. 2 metal adapters, $100 and they only do COD no credit cards. that company is BULLSH*T.
QUOTE]

Where do the Hennessey sims go, at the pcm or rear o2 sensors? Do they require you to cut the wiring, or do they have plugs? Let us know if they work.

BBLV
03-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Well I think they prolly don't work since he called them bull****. But hey let us know (my first post on my new blackberry f*ck ya!!)

Dr.Steve
03-24-2007, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=tommy25000] $100 and they only do COD no credit cards.

QUOTE]

that's because all the credit card companies got tired of the contested charges and stopped working with him!

Mango
03-24-2007, 10:57 PM
EDIT: I just did a search. I see that people were angry with Kooks, but have worked around the issues.

Hennessy still sucks!

Inferno SRT8
03-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Kooks and Hennessey...two pathetic companies that will NEVER see my money. We'd all be better off if they fell off the planet.

Hennessey I agree but KOOKS? They make a great product for our cars its not there fault DCX's codes are so hard to break into to get rid of the CEL, get the headers then voice an opinion or ill let you drive mine and you will understand.

tommy25000
03-25-2007, 01:15 AM
sorry bro but kooks is one of the best custome header companies there is.
yes believe it or not the sims do work... for now... after a 100miles no cel!
they screw into the o2 sensor wholes under the truck 3 min install... a rip off but with not other options its a must. mine w/ out the sims threw a cel with in 10 min of driving...

Mango
03-25-2007, 08:04 AM
:confused: Look at all the problems you had Tony. From what I've read on the forums, Kooks is a company to stay away from. I thought you had nothing but problems with their headers?!

gbusy1906
03-25-2007, 09:17 AM
Tommy 25000 or Inferno, any drivability issues with KOOKS such as idle, noises from engine bay that were not there before the install etc... I almost purchased the KOOKs that HOTROD advertise for 1299 a few days ago but someone beat me to it. I have had headers installed on all the sport cars and trucks I have owned-20 I can think of. Headers make power.
thanks for your feedback
Busy

Inferno SRT8
03-25-2007, 10:19 AM
:confused: Look at all the problems you had Tony. From what I've read on the forums, Kooks is a company to stay away from. I thought you had nothing but problems with their headers?!

No man the problems I was having were due to a motor mount coming loose and the engine shifting which made the headers shift and kept loosening the header bolts up, I fixed the mount issue, ditched my half ass dealership (westbury) had KOOKS replace a header gasket due to the engine shift and all is well. KOOKS is a first class product, dont let the CEL issue sway you not to get them, once a good sim comes out or just use your dashhawk to clear the CEL. I can go up to 300 to 400 miles with no CEL.

Mango
03-25-2007, 10:22 AM
OHHHHH Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

HoustonSRT-8
03-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Sigh.....when will people listen and stay away from Hennessey? :(

generalconfusion
03-28-2007, 10:59 PM
DO NOT USE THE KOOKS HEADER GASKETS!!!!! YOU WILL BE REPLACING THEM.

Use the factory gaskets, even Kooks is recommending them over the felt ones supplied in the kit. I had a leak after 5,000 miles and the gaskets were burned through.

tommy25000
03-29-2007, 01:52 AM
wish i knew that a while ago. do you have any idea how ****ty it is getting into the driver side

generalconfusion
03-29-2007, 12:01 PM
wish i knew that a while ago. do you have any idea how ****ty it is getting into the driver side

I know what you mean........if they leak one more time, their on EBAY!

Muellge
06-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Looking on board for tips to direct mechanic on installation of Kooks headers. Not that he needs it, as he is owner of some nice show cars and a few strip cars, very experienced, lift in shop, etc. and he's installed turbos and downpipes on cars for me before, but still any tips would be helpful regarding our set up on this car.

So far, my search of the site yielded some photos of installed StainlessWorks, close up photos of the primary and secondary 02 sensor ports, B&B link to video of install of their catback exhaust system, opinion that the stock gaskets are better than the felt ones included by Kooks, that dropping the engine makes it easier (though that ain't happening here), and that the install requires every sort and shape of 10mm tool. Also note that it took most people a good day to complete. Tales of black smoke and safe mode triggering all seem to have been linked to alleged 02 sensor mixups (will be reminding him to label prior to removal). If anyone has posted a "step by step" or if there are some other noteworthy tips, like how not to break the 02 sensors on removal, special tool that might be helpful on one of the hard to access areas, if anyone has used a pair of stacked and modified sparkplug arrestors for their secondary O2 sensor ports, I'd be happy to see them.

T-Time
06-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Noob Questions Please?

Don't our stock Jeep SRT8's have casted factory headers?

Kooks are long tube headers correct?

What are the horsepower differences?

Thanks,
T-Time

BBLV
06-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Please correct if I'm wrong, but nobody has popped a CEL with the Stainless Works headers. Only with Kooks, correct? From what I have read (I have NO hands-on experience, mind you) it is the location of the O2 sensors on the headers/catted pipes that is causing issues for the Kooks users.

Inferno SRT8
06-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Please correct if I'm wrong, but nobody has popped a CEL with the Stainless Works headers. Only with Kooks, correct? From what I have read (I have NO hands-on experience, mind you) it is the location of the O2 sensors on the headers/catted pipes that is causing issues for the Kooks users.

The difference that I see is the cats are side to side on the SWorks on the Kooks there not side by side and the only CEL you get with Kooks is catalytic efficiency in bank 1, I may go to straight pipes, ive had it with catalytics.

gculver
06-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Noob Questions Please?

Don't our stock Jeep SRT8's have casted factory headers?

T-Time

They are exhaust manifolds by definition. They are not cast, there is 3 steel tubes surrounded by a steel covering-giiving them the appearance of a more tradtional looking exhaust manifold. The first 2 exhaust port tubes of each bank y into each other for a total of 3 tubes at the collector. I have been workin on these a while,there is a large 1/4 inch weld bead on the I.D. of all the tubes,restricting flow-The O.D. is now welded and all the inner welds removed-should help with flow(a little cheaper too-:D ) Here are some pictures of my gasket matched, ported & heat coated shorty manifolds.

GC

Muellge
06-12-2007, 08:49 PM

That is what I've read here so far, and that that the "SIMS" are inserted in the secondary 02 sensor ports to adjust/trick what exhaust it reads. Just trying to get the benefit of others who have installed before me. WIll update.

T-Time
06-12-2007, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=gculver]They are exhaust manifolds by definition. They are not cast, there is 3 steel tubes surrounded by a steel covering-giiving them the appearance of a more tradtional looking exhaust manifold. The first 2 exhaust port tubes of each bank y into each other for a total of 3 tubes at the collector. I have been workin on these a while,there is a large 1/4 inch weld bead on the I.D. of all the tubes,restricting flow-The O.D. is now welded and all the inner welds removed-should help with flow(a little cheaper too-:D ) Here are some pictures of my gasket matched, ported & heat coated shorty manifolds.

Thanks for the info. Those look sweet!! When are they going in?

T-Time

Hows2nd
06-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Looking on board for tips to direct mechanic on installation of Kooks headers. Not that he needs it, as he is owner of some nice show cars and a few strip cars, very experienced, lift in shop, etc. and he's installed turbos and downpipes on cars for me before, but still any tips would be helpful regarding our set up on this car.

So far, my search of the site yielded some photos of installed StainlessWorks, close up photos of the primary and secondary 02 sensor ports, B&B link to video of install of their catback exhaust system, opinion that the stock gaskets are better than the felt ones included by Kooks, that dropping the engine makes it easier (though that ain't happening here), and that the install requires every sort and shape of 10mm tool. Also note that it took most people a good day to complete. Tales of black smoke and safe mode triggering all seem to have been linked to alleged 02 sensor mixups (will be reminding him to label prior to removal). If anyone has posted a "step by step" or if there are some other noteworthy tips, like how not to break the 02 sensors on removal, special tool that might be helpful on one of the hard to access areas, if anyone has used a pair of stacked and modified sparkplug arrestors for their secondary O2 sensor ports, I'd be happy to see them.

Take a look at this thread:http://www.***********/forums/showthread.php?t=4183 OK it's blocked go to the other site....It's a sticky

lanjay
06-16-2007, 01:59 AM
when i inquired about header installation a mechanic asked me this question.:"if you have a true 2006 srt8,why would you want to have headers installed when it already has factory tuned headers already. anybody out there care to educate me on the why part?

turbo_neon
06-16-2007, 11:30 AM
i have a manual cell fix thats work for me a few times, ill make a new thread. . .

lanjay
06-18-2007, 12:31 AM
i`m considering having headers installed. all said and done i reckon the cost will be somewhere around $3500-$4000 dollars. looking back,was it worth it? if they need to lift the engine and then put it back i wonder if everything will be the same like no rattles or any other unforseen thing that would piss me off that i did`nt think of and kick myself later for. i know this and that varies but what increase in horsepower do you think you gained.

tommy25000
06-18-2007, 01:00 AM
i`m considering having headers installed. all said and done i reckon the cost will be somewhere around $3500-$4000 dollars. looking back,was it worth it? if they need to lift the engine and then put it back i wonder if everything will be the same like no rattles or any other unforseen thing that would piss me off that i did`nt think of and kick myself later for. i know this and that varies but what increase in horsepower do you think you gained.

if you spend $4,000 you r F-ing crazy

MatFab
06-18-2007, 09:13 AM
does any one have any helpful install tips? these are in the mail and i dunno if i could handle 12 hours...

candyman
06-18-2007, 11:51 AM
does any one have any helpful install tips? these are in the mail and i dunno if i could handle 12 hours...
After you take out the tranny support cross member to remove the front drive shaft and mid-pipes, re-install the brace. This will allow you to move the vehicle up and down on the lift as necessary. (lift is a must IMO). To remove the inner fender wells you will have to remove the plastic pop rivets. They are not reusable. You will need a special rivet gun for plastic pop rivets to install the new plastic rivets. Rivets are available at the stealership. Remove CAI for easier access to the top front passenger side header bolts. Small hands and arms are helpful because the top three bolts on the drivers side are a b*&ch. Have every 10mm tool ever designed in order to fit into all the different angles. These tips are from Hows2nd from the "other" site.

navyavi469
08-04-2007, 08:52 PM
God help me, i've heard these headers are ludicrous to install... I'm doing heads, not going with headers is not an option.

aplatero1984
08-05-2007, 05:43 AM
Oh wow, sounds like the headers are a challenge to install, got a quick question, has any used the GSM o2 sims before?

tommy25000
08-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Oh wow, sounds like the headers are a challenge to install, got a quick question, has any used the GSM o2 sims before?

i used hennessy and you can guess how that went.... Bull Sh1t

aplatero1984
08-05-2007, 12:04 PM
i used hennessy and you can guess how that went.... Bull Sh1t
So Im guessing stay away from their products right?? Does anyone else have experience with GSM O2 simulator boxes?

SILVER GC SRT8
08-05-2007, 11:54 PM
So Im guessing stay away from their products right?? Does anyone else have experience with GSM O2 simulator boxes?
Ace, Stay away from Hennessey.BAD,BAD,BAD reputation.If you get the B&G PCM re flashed, you can request that B&G disable the CEL when using the Kooks Headers. No need to get the GSM sims. Talk to you soon. Rich

aplatero1984
08-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Ace, Stay away from Hennessey.BAD,BAD,BAD reputation.If you get the B&G PCM re flashed, you can request that B&G disable the CEL when using the Kooks Headers. No need to get the GSM sims. Talk to you soon. Rich
Thanks Rich, you are the man! thanks always for the info and cant wait to get the zoomers from you:)

SILVER GC SRT8
08-07-2007, 12:57 AM
No Problem Ace. Check you E-mail box. Sent you a couple PM's. Rich

Derwood98
10-07-2007, 02:46 PM
DO NOT USE THE KOOKS HEADER GASKETS!!!!! YOU WILL BE REPLACING THEM.

Use the factory gaskets, even Kooks is recommending them over the felt ones supplied in the kit. I had a leak after 5,000 miles and the gaskets were burned through.

Those of you who have recently installed Kooks, did you use the supplied gaskets or different ones? Also, are they still throwing CEL's or has there been a fix?

oman srt8
10-07-2007, 03:09 PM
i used kooks gasket with no problem i will change them when i install my heades and cam :):)... yes still with cel

PALELLA
10-07-2007, 03:18 PM
I have installed a few sets with the Kooks gaskets.

cmn1
10-07-2007, 04:31 PM
CEL came on today, headers went on yesterday. Hopefully Diablo will be getting rid of the CEL with an update soon..

tommy25000
10-07-2007, 05:43 PM
CEL came on today, headers went on yesterday. Hopefully Diablo will be getting rid of the CEL with an update soon..

you will see that cel ALOT if you drive more than lets say 30miles a day plan on seeing it twice a day!!!!!

viper04
10-07-2007, 08:25 PM
you will see that cel ALOT if you drive more than lets say 30miles a day plan on seeing it twice a day!!!!!

Yes so true. PITA...:p

Derwood98
10-07-2007, 08:30 PM
So it's safe to say no progress on the CEL and no word on the gaskets? Where are the supporting vendors. Who can get a decent answer (resolution) from Kooks.

Hotscott7
10-07-2007, 11:27 PM
So it's safe to say no progress on the CEL and no word on the gaskets? Where are the supporting vendors. Who can get a decent answer (resolution) from Kooks.

Read the thread....everyone says the CEL will be on A LOT and the general said that the kooks gaskets leak and that they suggest to use the stock mopar gaskets. The CEL problem has been around for a long time, I would say it isnt gonna go away with anything from Kooks. B&G can get rid of it and the dashhawk can clear it

generalconfusion
10-08-2007, 12:07 AM
I know this might be off topic...sorry.....but after removing my headers and high flow cats and reinstalling the stock shorties and catalytics.......HOLY SHT........talk about losing the mid range and upper rpm punch!!!:eek:

PALELLA
10-08-2007, 12:09 AM
I know this might be off topic...sorry.....but after removing my headers and high flow cats and reinstalling the stock shorties and catalytics.......HOLY SHT........talk about losing the mid range and upper rpm punch!!!:eek:

Off topic or not, that's damn nice to hear!!

CentralTexHemi
10-08-2007, 01:11 PM
An easy and very cheap rear 02 sims is taking 2 spark plug non-foulers, hollow out one and stack them, thread into the bung and then thread in the 02 sensor, pulls it out just right to keep from throwing a code cost is all of about 10.00 for all 4 needed. I have a buddy making these for those who do not know how or have time to hollow one out for around 30.00 for the complete set. I do have an extra set if someone wants to put them to the test and I mean they are ready to do it now just PM me your address and lets see if they work. Mopar has a Multi layer gasket with graphite that I would use and maybe some stage 8 locking bolts for the header bolts

tommy25000
10-08-2007, 01:44 PM
An easy and very cheap rear 02 sims is taking 2 spark plug non-foulers, hollow out one and stack them, thread into the bung and then thread in the 02 sensor, pulls it out just right to keep from throwing a code cost is all of about 10.00 for all 4 needed. I have a buddy making these for those who do not know how or have time to hollow one out for around 30.00 for the complete set. I do have an extra set if someone wants to put them to the test and I mean they are ready to do it now just PM me your address and lets see if they work. Mopar has a Multi layer gasket with graphite that I would use and maybe some stage 8 locking bolts for the header bolts

i would be skeptical... somthing simular to this made my truck run like sh*t

BBLV
10-08-2007, 03:38 PM
i would be skeptical... somthing simular to this made my truck run like sh*t
At least you wouldn't get the CEL :D :D

CentralTexHemi
10-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Worked well on my truck and had no issues, like I said cant hurt to try it for free it you want

Derwood98
10-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Read the thread....everyone says the CEL will be on A LOT and the general said that the kooks gaskets leak and that they suggest to use the stock mopar gaskets. The CEL problem has been around for a long time, I would say it isnt gonna go away with anything from Kooks. B&G can get rid of it and the dashhawk can clear it

Scott, I was inquiring if there were any changes since Tommy originally posted. Nothing more. If you have issues with me, let's take them off line or just don't reply period if you don't have anything constructive to say. I am sure I am not alone in saying this.

Hotscott7
10-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Scott, I was inquiring if there were any changes since Tommy originally posted. Nothing more. If you have issues with me, let's take them off line or just don't reply period if you don't have anything constructive to say. I am sure I am not alone in saying this.

Read the thread....everyone says the CEL will be on A LOT and the general said that the kooks gaskets leak and that they suggest to use the stock mopar gaskets. The CEL problem has been around for a long time, I would say it isnt gonna go away with anything from Kooks. B&G can get rid of it and the dashhawk can clear it.

I have no problem with you that is not the point of my comment.....the point of my comment was instead of wasting peoples time and answering the same question numerous times.....just read the thread and the numerous posts, and you will have an answer to your question. Pretty sure I said 2 things that were constructive read the last sentence that I posted. Those are the only 2 ways possible to get rid of the CEL unless you jimmy rig something. If you dont find this constructive then I would simply say that you are the one that has issues.

And just for the record if you want to make friends on forums or anywhere.....drop the attitude, and while your at it, get rid of the immature and unintelligent comments as well

HoustonSRT-8
10-09-2007, 08:59 AM
the point of my comment was instead of wasting peoples time and answering the same question numerous times.....just read the thread and the numerous posts, and you will have an answer to your question.

Wasting who's time? No one forces you to read every thread.