Anyone With Kooks LTs and Crossover... [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Anyone With Kooks LTs and Crossover...

GotStroke?
03-23-2007, 08:15 AM
Can someone post a pic of the Kooks LTs and crossover? Either on the Jeep or off. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

GotStroke?
03-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Or if anyone with the headers can tell me if there is indeed a crossover (X or H) right after the headers or not?

HoustonSRT-8
03-23-2007, 12:43 PM
With our GC, it's not the headers that have the crossover, it's the cat-back.

FastSRT8GC
03-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Or if anyone with the headers can tell me if there is indeed a crossover (X or H) right after the headers or not?

HOPE this is what you want to know
STROKED...

http://dynamicracing.com/product_image.php?imageid=154
http://www.dynamicracing.com//files/t_572.jpg

Sorry Mat for the image grab, the only place i could find the jeep cat section!!

FastSRT8GC
03-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Stroked, YOu have lots of good knowledge to share lets just get you out of the Fbody mind set;)

I know exactly what you were talking about, on the 5.0 the H pipe is right before where your catback would bolt on.

GotStroke?
03-23-2007, 03:31 PM
It's not the headers that determine if there is a crossover, it's the cat-back.

Actually it's the vehicle itself and obstructions in the way. All street engines benefit from a correctly placed crossover.
The best location for a crossover is right after the headers, which isn't possible in a Grand Cherokee. Doing it all the way down in the catback isn't as efficient.
I believe you're thinking of muffler choice. With an X go with straight through, with an H go with baffled/chambered.

GotStroke?
03-23-2007, 03:33 PM
HOPE this is what you want to know
STROKED...

http://dynamicracing.com/product_image.php?imageid=154

Sorry Mat for the image grab, the only place i could find the jeep cat section!!

That's it brother, thanks!

Us former Ford guys are spoiled with a plethora of quality exhaust options including crossover design. I'd hate to have to deal with the sound of a Y pipe on an F-bod. ;)

FastSRT8GC
03-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Actually it's the vehicle itself and obstructions in the way. All street engines benefit from a correctly placed crossover.
The best location for a crossover is right after the headers, which isn't possible in a Grand Cherokee. Doing it all the way down in the catback isn't as efficient.
I believe you're thinking of muffler choice. With an X go with straight through, with an H go with baffled/chambered.

Then there should be no reason why a H pipe could no be install in the first part of the Cat Back. The B&B has the x in the hump going over the axle.

FastSRT8GC
03-23-2007, 03:36 PM
That's it brother, thanks!

Us former Ford guys are spoiled with a plethora of quality exhaust options including crossover design. I'd hate to have to deal with the sound of a Y pipe on an F-bod. ;)

Yea i have a Y on my 5.4 into a two chamber flowmaster, it sound like booty.
Love the sound of the Fbody with x or h and some flows, One of the best sound IMO

GotStroke?
03-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Then there should be no reason why a H pipe could no be install in the first part of the Cat Back. The B&B has the x in the hump going over the axle.

I'd love to see some under vehicle shots of the various catbacks available, or get under mine to see how much room is available.

FastSRT8GC
03-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Look at the b&b section one. There is lots of room.

http://www.bbexhaust.com/suv/cherokee/#

http://www.bbexhaust.com/suv/cherokee/#

GotStroke?
03-23-2007, 03:42 PM
As far back as that placement is, I'm not sure it does anything but affect sound.

FastSRT8GC
03-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Yea, same thing i thought when i ripped it out of the box. It has to help equal out the system somewhat.... How much we will never know

HoustonSRT-8
03-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Actually, I was being specific to our GC. The crossover is in the cat-back, not the mid-pipe.

Love the sound of the Fbody with x or h and some flows, One of the best sound IMO

F-Bodies don't use X or H pipes, only Y due to space issues.
*DISCLAIMER - Custom set-ups don't fall under this statement.*

GotStroke?
03-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Actually, I was being specific to our GC. The crossover is in the cat-back, not the mid-pipe.

:confused:

I realize that, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get that from your original statement:

It's not the headers that determine if there is a crossover, it's the cat-back.

A catback has nothing to do with where the crossover goes if there is one at all. X and H pipes boost torque/increase scavenging vs twin single straight pipes, which is what we want in a street vehicle. You want the crossover as close to the headers as possible, the farther back it is, the less efficient it is. Putting one in the catback is in no way the same thing.

HoustonSRT-8
03-26-2007, 11:12 AM
I edited my original statement. Are you happy now? I'm sorry I worded it incorrectly for you.

However, if you had slid underneath your GC for 5 seconds, you would have answered your own question.

GotStroke?
03-26-2007, 11:22 AM
I edited my original statement. Are you happy now? I'm sorry I worded it incorrectly for you.

Okay, but "determine if" is not synonymous with "have."

However, if you had slid underneath your GC for 5 seconds, you would have answered your own question.

That's why I had to ask, my Jeep is presently at Stainless Works (2.5hrs away) getting a full exhaust put on. You'll also note that my original question had to do with Kooks LTs which I don't have.

HoustonSRT-8
03-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Okay, but "determine if" is not synonymous with "have."

Yes, that's why I corrected it. http://www.theplaceholder.com/forums/images/smilies/noemo.gif

That's why I had to ask, my Jeep is presently at Stainless Works (2.5hrs away) getting a full exhaust put on. You'll also note that my original question had to do with Kooks LTs which I don't have.

So you have the knowledge to "school me" on the mechanics/physics of crossover placements, but you don't have the knowledge to do a quick web search through our supporting vendors to find a pic of the Kooks system? Or to find a pic of GC cat-back systems showing that they have the crossover, so the Kooks would not? Anyways, this is a stupid conversation. Can we call it a draw with no hard feelings?

GotStroke?
03-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Yes, that's why I corrected it. http://www.theplaceholder.com/forums/images/smilies/noemo.gif

So you have the knowledge to "school me" on the mechanics/physics of crossover placements, but you don't have the knowledge to do a quick web search through our supporting vendors to find a pic of the Kooks system? Or to find a pic of GC cat-back systems showing that they have the crossover, so the Kooks would not? Anyways, this is a stupid conversation. Can we call it a draw with no hard feelings?

Exhaust design and the use of computers to surf the net are in no way related.
I asked a simple question to those with the part (Kooks LTs) in question because I'm too lazy to search the net for an answer when I know someone will usually reply within a few minutes. Another way to answer that question is that I know quite a few individuals who are experts in their field when it comes to all things automotive, most of them can't use a computer to save their life. Draw your own conclusion. ;)
As for a draw, I wasn't aware that this was a competition? Regardless, no hard feelings on my part. :)

HoustonSRT-8
03-26-2007, 12:11 PM
As for a draw, I wasn't aware that this was a competition? Regardless, no hard feelings on my part. :)

Competition? No. Small Arguement? Yes. :D

And I know what you mean about computer illiterate peeps. :p