Heads and Cam [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Heads and Cam

FastSRT8GC
03-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Ok I am going to take the plunge and buy the Cam and P&P head. My problem is which ones to get, They all seem to be similar, I have emailed DR and no response, I also talked to Edwin at southern hot rod. My questions for those who know or have this mod.

1.Who has the best P&P HP# and build.

2.What is everyone using for a head gasket during this install

3.I plan on going forced induction in a few months or when the stage6 system is done. should i even bother with this mod if forced induction is in the future. Will the P&P hinder/help performance from a forced induction situation??

4. Good place besides the dealer for install in Florida near Tampa?

Blown-WK
03-05-2007, 01:34 PM
I would go with a power ported h/c setup. They have some solid flow bench numbers from their heads. If you plan on the turbo kit soon then go with a cam with a turbo compatible grind.

gut2727
03-05-2007, 01:42 PM
I would go ahead and PM Matt at DR. He has always been extremely responsive via phone or PM (never tried email though). HIs customer service has been great. I got my heads from him along with the XFI273 cam and my jeep runs great (sounds pretty pissed off at idle too!!)

Could not be happier with what Matt provided.

Chris

FastSRT8GC
03-05-2007, 01:51 PM
sounds like all of us Chris's have good taste and love our hopped up vehicles.

What head gasket did you use with those head?

Also what are you running in the 1/4 w/ that setup?

GotStroke?
03-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Flow bench numbers mean nothing without velocity readings to go with them. A sewer pipe will flow 1000cfm but obviously won't make **** for power.
Forced induction doesn't mind if your heads are ported, it will definitely help to make more power--especially if you go turbo and the exhaust is opened up. If you plan on going turbo you're not going to want a blower or N/A cam.
Just remember, there's no such thing as compromise. Figure out what you want to do with the motor, then build accordingly. Otherwise you'll end up with a seroiusly compromised (as far as power production goes) setup.

FastSRT8GC
03-05-2007, 02:14 PM
The cam should be an easy change when it comes time. Now i have to figure out the best one's

What about headgasket? I know with my VR6 SC i ran a copper headgasket.
And should i upgrade headbolts looking to the future of FI.

JTSRT
03-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Anyone have a preference on HHP's heads / cam setup?

FastMatt
03-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Ok I am going to take the plunge and buy the Cam and P&P head. My problem is which ones to get, They all seem to be similar, I have emailed DR and no response, I also talked to Edwin at southern hot rod. My questions for those who know or have this mod.

1.Who has the best P&P HP# and build.

2.What is everyone using for a head gasket during this install

3.I plan on going forced induction in a few months or when the stage6 system is done. should i even bother with this mod if forced induction is in the future. Will the P&P hinder/help performance from a forced induction situation??

4. Good place besides the dealer for install in Florida near Tampa?

hello

you sent a E-mail to me and did not get a response? hmmm I'll need to look into that. How can I help you?

Stock MLS head gaskets are VERY good, that’s what i use. You will be hard pressed to find anything better. Just get a new set from your dealer.

threads you may want to look at

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1817

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2500

A good blower cam would be the Frank Racing Littleboy cam, it's ground on a 114lsa

SRT8
03-05-2007, 06:03 PM
I would go ahead and PM Matt at DR. He has always been extremely responsive via phone or PM (never tried email though). HIs customer service has been great. I got my heads from him along with the XFI273 cam and my jeep runs great (sounds pretty pissed off at idle too!!)

Could not be happier with what Matt provided.

Chris
Any dyno #'s? How does it feel/SOTP?

gut2727
03-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Unfortunately have had no time for dyno runs or legitamte track time (other than my Dashhawk..lol.. - and I dont think you would believe me anyway!).

The thing is a beast. Honestly - and not just because it is mine. SOTP is hilarious. Just wish there was a tuner to let it shift higher than it does because it is still making a ton of power when the PCM/ TCM steps in to shift.
The thing just pulls and pulls ( Matt happened to be on the phone to hear it wind up - you can ask him)

List of mods is:
DR Heads (stock head gaskets and plugs as per Matt)
XFI 273 Cam
BG Stage II Flash (800 RPM idle/ 6800 Rev Limit)
Volant CAI - Thx to Eddie at Southern HotRod!
Kooks with Cats (new h-pipe without cats soon!) - thanks to Eddie again
HHP Stage II TCM
Mopar/ Corsa Catback
APS 2800 Stall converter - Thx to Jeff at MPSC
GSM Trac Mod
DashHawk (helps with the headers CEL problem)

When I get a chance to dyno or a decent day at the track I WILL be posting.

There are more than a few cars around Austin that are not so happy with JGC SRT8s these days!!!

gut2727
03-05-2007, 08:27 PM
sounds like all of us Chris's have good taste and love our hopped up vehicles.

What head gasket did you use with those head?

Also what are you running in the 1/4 w/ that setup?

Yup! Must be a Chris thing!!:D :D :D

GotStroke?
03-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Unfortunately have had no time for dyno runs or legitamte track time (other than my Dashhawk..lol.. - and I dont think you would believe me anyway!).

The thing is a beast. Honestly - and not just because it is mine. SOTP is hilarious. Just wish there was a tuner to let it shift higher than it does because it is still making a ton of power when the PCM/ TCM steps in to shift.
The thing just pulls and pulls ( Matt happened to be on the phone to hear it wind up - you can ask him)

List of mods is:
DR Heads (stock head gaskets and plugs as per Matt)
XFI 273 Cam
BG Stage II Flash (800 RPM idle/ 6800 Rev Limit)
Volant CAI - Thx to Eddie at Southern HotRod!
Kooks with Cats (new h-pipe without cats soon!) - thanks to Eddie again
HHP Stage II TCM
Mopar/ Corsa Catback
APS 2800 Stall converter - Thx to Jeff at MPSC
GSM Trac Mod
DashHawk (helps with the headers CEL problem)

When I get a chance to dyno or a decent day at the track I WILL be posting.

There are more than a few cars around Austin that are not so happy with JGC SRT8s these days!!!

How are the shifts at 6800?

gut2727
03-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Yo Stroke -

I wish!!!

Shifts around 6200. With this cam I would love for it to shift at 6500.

Any thoughts on a combination that would allow it to shift higher than it is would be very welcome.

GotStroke?
03-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Yo Stroke -

I wish!!!

Any thoughts on a combination that would allow it to shift higher than it is would be very welcome.

Gotcha. Sorry for the confusion. I assumed the B&G allowed for raised shift points, not just rev limiter, as well.

rainmaker
03-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Yo Stroke -

I wish!!!

I may be wrong here, but I thought the B&G allowed the engine to rev up to 65-6800 RPM in stick but the TCM didn't like that and threw a CEL (and limp mode too if I can recall correctly).

Some guys were doing a manual tranny on LXforums.com. I'm not sure how they got around the programming, but this might be an option for getting you into the higher RPM's. Seems like a lot of work(money) if you ask me...

Someday we'll get some tuning that allows both PCM and TCM access....someday...

GotStroke?
03-06-2007, 01:40 PM
The best current solution is FAST, speed density based aftermarket engine management. It's not cheap but it offers a ton of flexibility as far as tuning/control are concerned. Controlling the trans shift point may be a different story.

FastSRT8GC
03-06-2007, 06:13 PM
THe deed is done, Ordered Matt's recommendations and should have them in three weeks. Can not wait, I will try to have it dyno'd before and after.

OH, Part #'s for the head gaskets?

JTSRT
03-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Hey GUT 2727 - How do you like the 2800 stall? Mine got shipped today for my house. Gonna wait to have it installed with other mods but curious to the difference. I won't be able to get a direct comparison because I'm doing heads, cam, intake, headers, etc. all at the same time as the stall.
Thanks,

Also, Hennessey says they have a 'fix' for the CEL with the Kooks headers - $100 plus shipping, anyone familiar with it?

Jason

AlexT
03-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Also, Hennessey says they have a 'fix' for the CEL with the Kooks headers - $100 plus shipping, anyone familiar with it?

A $100 "fix" from Hennessey?

I'm guessing a 1" by 1" piece of electrical tape. Just place it over the display and that fixes it.

Alex

Dr.Steve
03-06-2007, 07:54 PM
tape? I thought they just call and tell you not to worry about it!

SRT8
03-06-2007, 10:07 PM
tape? I thought they just call and tell you not to worry about it!
Now that's funny.

I'm very interested in what kind of #'s h/c gets from more SRT8's. There has been to much variation in #'s, 20-75whp. IMO, h/c should produce at least 50whp depending on cam, I would like 100whp. I may want too much? :)

gculver
03-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Now that's funny.

I'm very interested in what kind of #'s h/c gets from more SRT8's. There has been to much variation in #'s, 20-75whp. IMO, h/c should produce at least 50whp depending on cam, I would like 100whp. I may want too much? :)
From a head/cam swap. Yes, you want to much!:D

BuilderBill
03-06-2007, 10:40 PM
From a head/cam swap. Yes, you want to much!:D
Damn...sign me up for the 100hp increase H/C mod. Long tube headers should be worth another 50hp. Watch out GC! HA!

Bill

gculver
03-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Damn...sign me up for the 100hp increase H/C mod. Long tube headers should be worth another 50hp. Watch out GC! HA!

Bill
Damn Bill, I swear I'm gonna keep a closer watch on u!!!:D

El Calor
03-07-2007, 02:55 PM
After seeing with my own eyes and using my Jeep as one of the test vehicles, I believe with the DR Heads the bigger cam and exhaust work you'd see close to if not 100 awhp! You have to remember we got 75 awhp with NO exhaust work or tune! The future is looking bright!!

gculver
03-07-2007, 03:14 PM
After seeing with my own eyes and using my Jeep as one of the test vehicles, I believe with the DR Heads the bigger cam and exhaust work you'd see close to if not 100 awhp! You have to remember we got 75 awhp with NO exhaust work or tune! The future is looking bright!!
Is that with an ARC1, or without?

JTSRT
03-07-2007, 03:31 PM
HHP has a package under testing this week that is supposed to be around 100RWHP and 75RWTQ. We'll see later this week.

El Calor
03-07-2007, 03:38 PM

Without! The 75 awhp increase was also with the smallest cam Dynamic Racing sells :)

BuilderBill
03-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Hmmm, missing something again. What is ARC1?
Bill

timster
03-07-2007, 05:00 PM
I'd like to see a head/cam combo that will pass the strict emissions tests in Massachusetts

gculver
03-07-2007, 05:12 PM
I'll reserve any HP/TQ comments till I see some data & how that data was gathered,but's it's torque I'm after. 100HP & 75TQ from heads/cam, Yes we will see. Bill, The ARC1 is A/F calibrator based off the MAP sensor signal. It can be piggybacked over the ECM.

SRT8
03-07-2007, 06:59 PM
I've thought about it, I'll settle for 75awhp & Jessica Alba in the passenger seat. :D

gut2727
03-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Hey GUT 2727 - How do you like the 2800 stall? Mine got shipped today for my house. Gonna wait to have it installed with other mods but curious to the difference. I won't be able to get a direct comparison because I'm doing heads, cam, intake, headers, etc. all at the same time as the stall.
Thanks,

Jason

Hey Jason,

I LOVE the 2800 RPM stall. I had it installed after the headers but before the heads/ cam/ BG flash and it made a noticealbe difference. Obviously, with the 273 cam it is even more advantageous. Had the 3000 rpm been available when I got mine I may have even gone that route.

Bottomline - I think you will really like it.

As for Hennessey - personally I would not buy anything from him - never know where what you are buying may have come from.

When the CEL pops up I just reset it with the Dashhawk and off i go.

With all those mods done at once - it will be like Xmas when you get it back and the computer adjusts!!!

El Calor
03-07-2007, 11:39 PM
I'll reserve any HP/TQ comments till I see some data & how that data was gathered,but's it's torque I'm after. 100HP & 75TQ from heads/cam, Yes we will see. Bill, The ARC1 is A/F calibrator based off the MAP sensor signal. It can be piggybacked over the ECM.

Data

gculver
03-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Data

Two different JEEPS were dyno'd. Anyway I was refering to the HHP H/C/I package(100HP/75TQ) thats under testing.

FastMatt
03-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Two different JEEPS were dyno'd. Anyway I was refering to the HHP H/C/I package(100HP/75TQ) thats under testing.

I think he knows that seeing how the 07 tested (stock heads/cam) was HIS jeep, and he was here for the dyno.

You cant make everybody happy, That was the fairest comparison I could think of dynoing them the same day one after another. If we had dynoed the same Jeep before and after on 2 different days people would be saying "those dynos were on 2 different days, so it's not a fair comparison"

The 07 Dynoed right around were all SRT jeeps dyno with a CAI, 180 stat, and fan mod. And the heads/cam 06 Jeep Dynoed 75hp and 76 ft/lb of TQ more at the wheels with the only difference being heads/ and a mild cam. Even will Stock Manifolds, and Stock Exhaust.

This "100hp/75tf lb" kit that you keep talking about that’s "under testing" I take it that there is no info on the results that at this point it's just a guess, what thy hope to get?

gculver
03-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Exactly Matt, No results from HHP yet!!!

gculver
03-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Heres the link:http://www.highhorseperformance.com/1685926.html

FastMatt
03-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Heres the link:http://www.highhorseperformance.com/1685926.html

so there goal for a 100hp and 75ft/lb ofg TQ gain is this list of mods

ported heads
Ported intake
Cam
B&G flash
Exhaust
HF cats and Mid pipes

A 100 RWHP gain (on a RWD car not a a AWD car) that certainly sounds obtainable to me with that list of mods if done correctly.

Good luck with that to the guys at HHP

JTSRT
03-08-2007, 03:46 PM
The test runs are being done on a 2WD vehicle. Gonna call HHP Friday to get the results. As soon as the 07 program comes out and the TCM for 07 is available I'm having it done, gonna do a before and after dyno run on my jeep - only thing being is that it's a 2WD dyno they're using. #'s won't be exact but as far as crank HP goes, it should be similar since both are an SRT8.

Black_SRT8
03-08-2007, 05:46 PM
so there goal for a 100hp and 75ft/lb ofg TQ gain is this list of mods

ported heads
Ported intake
Cam
B&G flash
Exhaust
HF cats and Mid pipes

A 100 RWHP gain (on a RWD car not a a AWD car) that certainly sounds obtainable to me with that list of mods if done correctly.

Good luck with that to the guys at HHP

Seems plausible...

FastSRT8GC
03-08-2007, 08:58 PM
I am hoping to see these type of gains from my DR P&P head, Cam, Kooks, and my B&B install

The bad thing is I will not be able to dyno it till after the B&B is installed. But I should still show Very good gains.

JTSRT
03-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Dyno #'s are being posted on HHP's website tonight. Not quite what they were looking for but still impressive. Apparently their test vehicle is a freak of SRT8s to begin with, but I believe RWHP = 83.5, RWTQ = 50.4.

gculver
03-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Dyno #'s are being posted on HHP's website tonight. Not quite what they were looking for but still impressive. Apparently their test vehicle is a freak of SRT8s to begin with, but I believe RWHP = 83.5, RWTQ = 50.4.
^^^^Is this info from a reliable source?

gculver
03-10-2007, 07:56 AM
The #'s are posted 99 rwhp & 50 ftlbs, the link:http://www.highhorseperformance.com/1685926.html

pjvreede
03-10-2007, 09:16 AM
The #'s are posted 99 rwhp & 50 ftlbs, the link:http://www.highhorseperformance.com/1685926.html

$6,900. for the stuff, and did you read that the "after" dyno also included Kooks headers installed that the "baseline" dyno did not. Looks like DR may be a better deal from what I understood (as limited as that may be)

gculver
03-10-2007, 09:33 AM
$6,900. for the stuff, and did you read that the "after" dyno also included Kooks headers installed that the "baseline" dyno did not. Looks like DR may be a better deal from what I understood (as limited as that may be)
Yes I did, The real power is in the cam,IMO. If you look around at head only swaps on a 6.1L, almost all are still running 1/4 mile times similar to stock,at least the ones I have seen.

JTSRT
03-10-2007, 02:41 PM
I talked to Josh at HHP when I posted those #'s. I'll have to look at the dyno runs. The package also includes a stall converter and labor.

JTSRT
03-10-2007, 02:48 PM

Did I miss something? Where are you getting 99 HP?

JTSRT
03-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Sorry, I was looking at the RWHP.

GRNENVY
03-11-2007, 06:54 AM
Can't wait to hear it and see how it runs.
Those guys at the spot (Publix) won't know what hit them truck should fly.
I know my budy Chris with the lightening wants to run you he just has to put his tires on. See you monday or tuesday after you get your exhaust on.

THe deed is done, Ordered Matt's recommendations and should have them in three weeks. Can not wait, I will try to have it dyno'd before and after.

OH, Part #'s for the head gaskets?

FastSRT8GC
03-11-2007, 08:40 AM
I am hoping most wont know or understand what happened, after they line up against the Jeep! Kind of like with your stang. :eek: