Borla Exhaust [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Borla Exhaust

squigmang
02-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Ive just contacted Borla and they are just perfecting an exhaust for the gcsrt8. they said it should be finished in 4-6 weeks! i think i might hold off and go with the borla.
what do you guys think? wait for borla or go with an already manufactured one??

gbusy1906
02-24-2007, 11:25 AM
I have the corsa/mopar. I had borla on other vehicles and loved it. I would wait to at least compare gains and pricing. Minimal gain from the corsa although some members reported dyno increases of 10 to 20hp. At most I picked up a 10th in the 1/4. I invested 1300.00 bucks for a 10th and some sound. I am actually considering selling my corsa. Anyways, good luck!!!

HoustonSRT-8
02-24-2007, 11:44 AM
If you expected anymore from a cat-back, then I could have told you to to save your money. Cat-backs by themselves don't do much. They just free up pressure to help other mods.

OBSRT8
02-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Ive just contacted Borla and they are just perfecting an exhaust for the gcsrt8. they said it should be finished in 4-6 weeks! i think i might hold off and go with the borla.
what do you guys think? wait for borla or go with an already manufactured one??

Just as Corsa is the maker of the Mopar Exhaust for our GCSRT8,Borla is the maker of the Mopar exhaust for the Dodge Charger,Magnum, and Chrysler 300.
As far as expecting more than a tenth or so in the quarter mile,lets face it most of us that change out the exhaust do it for the sound.I had the borla on my Charger and I have looked at the Corsa for my GC.As far as quality and design they are equal.

BuilderBill
02-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Just as Corsa is the maker of the Mopar Exhaust for our GCSRT8,Borla is the maker of the Mopar exhaust for the Dodge Charger,Magnum, and Chrysler 300.
As far as expecting more than a tenth or so in the quarter mile,lets face it most of us that change out the exhaust do it for the sound.I had the borla on my Charger and I have looked at the Corsa for my GC.As far as quality and design they are equal.
I love the Mopar catback,but if it gained me anything it was more likely a hundredth not a tenth!! Blackstallion has an '06 with the same mods (CAI, fan mod and 170 thermostat) but without the catback and we both run 12.8 at the same strip same day. I just did not care for the sound in the stock mufflers. Thought it had a "cackle" (shrilly) sound to it. Hell, I don't know the right word to describe the original sound that I did not care for.
Bill

squigmang
02-24-2007, 03:02 PM
i was leaning towards a magnaflow. but now i might wait to see how the borla turns out. borla seems to have the best reputation of all aftermarket exhausts.

MjrCarNut
02-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Ive been curious if anybody has even just taken it in and had some borla mufflers just welded in, in place of the originals to get some kind of a sound example? Im betting that something like the stingers would just be off the hook with this 6.1....!

idealrides
02-25-2007, 11:10 PM
Ive been curious if anybody has even just taken it in and had some borla mufflers just welded in, in place of the originals to get some kind of a sound example? Im betting that something like the stingers would just be off the hook with this 6.1....!

That was my original idea for the Jeep quite some time ago, as I've done this to trucks in the past, but it turned out that none of Borla's off the shelf mufflers would fit in the stock muffler location, especially since they don't offer a dual-in dual-out. The only place a pair of cans could go is in the back, replacing the factory resonators. Then all you need to do is replace the factory muffler with straightpipes.

I love the Borla sound more than any other exhaust so I'm sure their catback will be quite nice. I installed a Borla catback on a friends 5.7 Limited (it seems he got muffler envy after seeing my SRT) unfortunately it didn't sound quite the same as the 6.1 :D
________
RubieROSE (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/RubieROSE/)

FFSP
02-26-2007, 06:29 AM
I've got a Borla stinger cat-back on my Cobra. Sounds awesome. Hopefully the one for the GC will sound just as good.

Fastest H-Town Realtor
02-28-2007, 05:27 PM
If it has the XR mufflers, Ill buy it...otherwise, I pass.

squigmang
03-15-2007, 07:39 PM
ive contacted them again and now they are saying 6-8 weeks :mad: i cant wait fot this system to come!! anyone have any guesses as to how much it will cost?

StageFright
03-15-2007, 10:46 PM
The Borla is definitely worth the wait, I run the Borlas on my vette and they work great with the turbos, excellent flow.

DavesSRT8
03-16-2007, 05:07 AM
Never liked Borla sound on vehicles I've had or heard on other cars/trucks. My favorite for sound and performance was Bassani, which i've used on several vehicles - great quality, excellent sound and easy to install. Too bad none for our Jeep. I've emailed them to inquire if they are interested.

Dave
2007 Black JGCSRT8 (stock, for now)

mike123
03-16-2007, 06:39 PM
I called borla 8 weeks ago and they told me 4 to 6 weeks back then it's always 4 to 6 weeks away and expect to pay for that system

StageFright
03-16-2007, 11:59 PM
When Borla began building the Borla Stinger for the C5 Corvette, they came over to corvetteforum.com and offered them at 50% off to Corvette owners (that is when I picked mine up), hopefully they will do the same for the Jeep guys.

squigmang
03-17-2007, 07:01 AM
that would be nice but i dont think im going to hold my breath for that deal.:cool:

slow91
03-17-2007, 07:07 AM
When Borla began building the Borla Stinger for the C5 Corvette, they came over to corvetteforum.com and offered them at 50% off to Corvette owners (that is when I picked mine up), hopefully they will do the same for the Jeep guys.

Wow! That's freakin' amazing! I hope they do that for GC forum members.

Inferno SRT8
03-17-2007, 07:36 AM
Borla makes TOP QUALITY products, unlike the B&B junk. (Break and BURN)

the dj
03-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Borla makes TOP QUALITY products, unlike the B&B junk. (Break and BURN)

:D
I just got my 07 Silver & by reading your posts I get the idea to stay away from B&B lol!

AlexT
03-17-2007, 09:26 AM
:D
I just got my 07 Silver & by reading your posts I get the idea to stay away from B&B lol!

I'm very happy with mine, but some others have had issues with split welds and then sketchy customer service.

If I were doing it all over today, I'd still buy the B&B.

Alex

GodfatherSRT8
03-17-2007, 10:22 AM
I have the borla on my Armada that the wife drives, and it sounds nice. If it comes out by April then I will go with borla instead of Corsa when I drop the zoomers.

slow91
03-17-2007, 10:24 AM
.....when I drop the zoomers.

Are you having issues with the Zoomers??? TIA.

GodfatherSRT8
03-17-2007, 10:34 AM
Are you having issues with the Zoomers??? TIA.

Personally I love the sound of the zoomers,but the drone at highway speeds is starting to get to me.

Inferno SRT8
03-17-2007, 11:27 AM
The B&B system is great except for the cheap half ass mufflers they use, open 1 up and you will see what I mean, as for me my Magnaflows are kicking ass! Power is second to none and the exhaust not sounds like a small block nascar coming down the street.

MjrCarNut
03-17-2007, 08:59 PM
The B&B system is great except for the cheap half ass mufflers they use, open 1 up and you will see what I mean, as for me my Magnaflows are kicking ass! Power is second to none and the exhaust not sounds like a small block nascar coming down the street.

Sounds good! Magnaflows are pretty damn cool! I had them on my Suped up Dakota!
Inferno Any possiblility that you will have any new video's of the sound since your one of the only ones on here with the LT headers! I bet that just sounds outstanding!:D

Inferno SRT8
03-18-2007, 07:02 AM
Sounds good! Magnaflows are pretty damn cool! I had them on my Suped up Dakota!
Inferno Any possiblility that you will have any new video's of the sound since your one of the only ones on here with the LT headers! I bet that just sounds outstanding!:D

Alot of guys on the other forumn are waiting also, I told them I would have it this weekend but the snow killed it, I dont use my 8 in snow :D as soon as they clear the snow up in NY ill have video and audio of mine a few launches etc.

mtl209
03-18-2007, 02:52 PM
any price estimates for the borla kit?

david borla
03-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Hi, this is David Borla from Borla Performance in Oxnard, California (borla.com). We are in the process of developing our aftermarket exhaust application(s) for the Cherokee SRT8 and we are looking for an owner in the Oxnard, CA area who can help us by loaning us their vehicle and offering some insight as to what sound levels, tip styles etc. SRT8 owners are looking for.

You will receive a free Borla exhaust for your Cherokee SRT8 in return for your assistance and, after 30 years of experience I can assure you that we will treat your vehicle with the utmost care and respect while it is in our possession.

If you are interested in taking part in this project please email me at davidb@borla.com

HoustonSRT-8
03-21-2007, 07:42 PM
I wish I lived in CA. :eek:

squigmang
03-21-2007, 07:54 PM
I wish I lived in CA. :eek:

i might drive there from the east coast of canada if itll get this system out

david borla
03-28-2007, 05:13 PM
i might drive there from the east coast of canada if itll get this system out

Thanks! We have one in our facility and I'll keep you guys posted on our progress. We are building 2 systems. A loud "street" system and an even louder "off road" system.

db

HoustonSRT-8
03-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Does the louder system use the XR-1 mufflers?

timster
03-28-2007, 08:11 PM
sounds great!

GodfatherSRT8
03-28-2007, 08:14 PM
I want the louder pipes. Group buy anyone??

Se7en
03-29-2007, 01:02 AM
David,

I'm in Nor Cal but would gladly leave my vehicle with you for a period of days (perhaps a week +) as well as offer you my unsolicited opinions :)

I sent you and email last week.

Let me know if you're interested.

gabriel.jones@segaamerica.com

Mango
03-29-2007, 05:12 AM
I WANT THE OFF-ROAD EXHAUST PLEASE! muahahaha I can't wait.

HoustonSRT-8
03-29-2007, 07:42 AM
David,

I'm in Nor Cal but would gladly leave my vehicle with you for a period of days (perhaps a week +) as well as offer you my unsolicited opinions :)

I sent you and email last week.

Let me know if you're interested.

gabriel.jones@segaamerica.com
They already have a Jeep they are testing.

david borla
03-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Does the louder system use the XR-1 mufflers?

Not sure yet. Believe it or not, the sound attenuation properties of our XR-1 mufflers may make this system too quiet. Those mufflers were originally designed to attenuate the sound of race bred engines with upwards of 600 hp so sometimes they are actually too quiet for street applications.

The bottom line is that we will use whichever of our mufflers attenuate the sound of this engine best. Sorry if that's a bit of a vague answer but we are not toally sure which mufflers we will use for the loud system yet. If I had to guess, I'd say that we will be using our "S-Type" mufflers

http://borla.com/products/product_multi_detail.aspx?cat=2&type=88&desc=Universal+Mufflers%2c+Tubing+%26+Hardware|S-Type

I will keep you posted and thanks for your interest!

squigmang
03-29-2007, 05:14 PM
...we are not toally sure which mufflers we will use for the loud system yet.

what about the quieter street version??

HoustonSRT-8
03-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Just for comparison purposes, which muffler does Borla use on the '94 Mustang GT cat-back? I've been running it for years.

timster
03-29-2007, 08:23 PM
Should be getting my bonus next month. I'll have to pick up the Borla exhast once it comes out..

david borla
03-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Just for comparison purposes, which muffler does Borla use on the '94 Mustang GT cat-back? I've been running it for years.

We used our "Turbo" style mufflers on that application. Something close to this but not exactly as this is a universal muffler.

http://borla.com/products/product_multi_detail.aspx?cat=2&type=43&desc=Universal+Mufflers%2c+Tubing+%26+Hardware|Tur bo+Mufflers

Unlike most other aftermarket exhaust manufacturers, we create unique mufflers for every exhaust system we build. We DO NOT simply implement our "universal" mufflers into our full systems. We build specific mufflers for every application meaning that we cater every element (packing material, perf tube, case size, material gauge, venturis, inlets, outlets etc.) to tune that one specific application.

You might notice that many other exhaust manufacturers have only a handful of muffler types that they use on all of their full exhaust systems. What this means is that their full exhaust systems are simply universal mufflers with bent piping to allow for a direct fit application. The universal mufflers used in these systems are not tuned specifically to any one particular engine and this creates a "hit or miss" scenario. Sometimes they work well sometimes they don't. Furthermore, these mufflers are usually outsourced from Asia with very little collective development (if any) between the engineers designing the exhaust system and those designing the mufflers.

Borla creates new mufflers, at our own facility, tuned specifically to the particular application with EVERY exhaust system we design. As I mentioned before, we experiment with different perf tube combinations, different packing material combinations, different case sizes, different material gauges and more, until the sound is to our standards.

Although they are both American V8's, the engine in your '94 Mustang GT sounds and behaves differently from the engine in your SRT8. Accordingly, the same exact muffler will not necessarily make your SRT8 sound like your '94Mustang GT. Ultimately, it's up to us to get an understanding of what sound you guys are looking for and find the right mufflers for this particular application to make it happen.

Does this make any sense to you guys? Or am I just adding to the confusion? Please let me know if you would like further explanation.

Thanks for your interest,

db

HoustonSRT-8
03-30-2007, 11:09 AM
I knew it would sound different since they perform differently. I'm not actually sure why I was trying to compare the two....:o

As for the custom built for each car, that's pretty cool to know. :cool:

Fastest H-Town Realtor
04-01-2007, 10:17 PM
I had the XR-1 unit on my '99 Cobra. What a wonderful set of pipes. Hence, my wanting the XRs on the G/C unit. Either way, Borla is top shelf product.

the dj
04-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Yeah, still have my full header/exhaust Borla on my GC 5.2

mike123
04-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Not sure yet. Believe it or not, the sound attenuation properties of our XR-1 mufflers may make this system too quiet. Those mufflers were originally designed to attenuate the sound of race bred engines with upwards of 600 hp so sometimes they are actually too quiet for street applications.

The bottom line is that we will use whichever of our mufflers attenuate the sound of this engine best. Sorry if that's a bit of a vague answer but we are not toally sure which mufflers we will use for the loud system yet. If I had to guess, I'd say that we will be using our "S-Type" mufflers

http://borla.com/products/product_multi_detail.aspx?cat=2&type=88&desc=Universal+Mufflers%2c+Tubing+%26+Hardware|S-Type

I will keep you posted and thanks for your interest!
What about pipe size 3"

timster
04-02-2007, 10:30 AM
we need something that sounds good and enhances performance

StageFright
04-02-2007, 12:25 PM
we need something that sounds good and enhances performance

Unless you get a x-pipe to delete the cats, a cat-back system can only do so much.

the dj
04-02-2007, 12:42 PM
exactly - on a normally aspirated car gains are minimal unless you have supporting mods
on my rx-7 as soon as I added a downpipe & cat back I gained almost 35 HP at the flywheel

rainmaker
04-02-2007, 12:55 PM
We used our "Turbo" style mufflers on that application. Something close to this but not exactly as this is a universal muffler.

http://borla.com/products/product_multi_detail.aspx?cat=2&type=43&desc=Universal+Mufflers%2c+Tubing+%26+Hardware|Tur bo+Mufflers

Unlike most other aftermarket exhaust manufacturers, we create unique mufflers for every exhaust system we build. We DO NOT simply implement our "universal" mufflers into our full systems. We build specific mufflers for every application meaning that we cater every element (packing material, perf tube, case size, material gauge, venturis, inlets, outlets etc.) to tune that one specific application.

You might notice that many other exhaust manufacturers have only a handful of muffler types that they use on all of their full exhaust systems. What this means is that their full exhaust systems are simply universal mufflers with bent piping to allow for a direct fit application. The universal mufflers used in these systems are not tuned specifically to any one particular engine and this creates a "hit or miss" scenario. Sometimes they work well sometimes they don't. Furthermore, these mufflers are usually outsourced from Asia with very little collective development (if any) between the engineers designing the exhaust system and those designing the mufflers.

Borla creates new mufflers, at our own facility, tuned specifically to the particular application with EVERY exhaust system we design. As I mentioned before, we experiment with different perf tube combinations, different packing material combinations, different case sizes, different material gauges and more, until the sound is to our standards.

Although they are both American V8's, the engine in your '94 Mustang GT sounds and behaves differently from the engine in your SRT8. Accordingly, the same exact muffler will not necessarily make your SRT8 sound like your '94Mustang GT. Ultimately, it's up to us to get an understanding of what sound you guys are looking for and find the right mufflers for this particular application to make it happen.

Does this make any sense to you guys? Or am I just adding to the confusion? Please let me know if you would like further explanation.

Thanks for your interest,

db

Hey Dave,

How do you guys test for power? Engine dyno, chassis dyno?

Thanks

HoustonSRT-8
04-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Unless you get a x-pipe to delete the cats, a cat-back system can only do so much.
Which won't happen because of our Y-pipes and the way our cat-backs are made.

david borla
04-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Hey Dave,

How do you guys test for power? Engine dyno, chassis dyno?

Thanks

Yes, chassis dyno. But flow bench figures are equally if not more important as well.

Thanks,

db

SpeedRacer333
04-04-2007, 11:30 AM
What is the goal for sound? Let me narrow that down... will it be just as deep sounding (interior and exterior) as the stock system at idle and WOT? Hopefully not as quiet as the Corsa, and more bass/less midrange tone at WOT? Oh, and hopefully tunes out the "wet fart" sound between shifts as effectively as the stock system does versus the Corsa.

david borla
04-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Almost done with our aggressive or "S-Type" system. Drove it today. Very pleased and I think you will be too.

We will have 2 options for the Cherokee SRT8.

Option #1 - Sound will be louder than stock but not too crazy. Tone will be deeper and throatier but the decible level will not be "over the top". 4" Intercooled tips in the traditional Borla Jeep style.

Option #2 - Sound will be significantly louder than stock and much deeper/more aggressive. May even be over the legal limit in some states. Tips will be 5", single walled. They look like a double barreled chrome cannon, very aggressive!!

Pics soon!

db

GodfatherSRT8
04-06-2007, 06:00 PM
This sounds promising.

rainmaker
04-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Almost done with our aggressive or "S-Type" system. Drove it today. Very pleased and I think you will be too.

Option #1 - Sound will be louder than stock but not too crazy. Tone will be deeper and throatier but the decible level will not be "over the top". 4" Intercooled tips in the traditional Borla Jeep style.

Option #2 - Sound will be significantly louder than stock and much deeper/more aggressive. May even be over the legal limit in some states. Tips will be 5", single walled. They look like a double barreled chrome cannon, very aggressive!!

Pics soon!

db

Sounds sweet Dave. Any performance numbers yet? How about a price range?

nyjpny
04-07-2007, 09:02 AM

Pics soon!

db david do you think i can get the option 1 with Single Oval Rolled Angle-Cut tips i dont like the iercooled tip looks cheep to me i like the factory looking tips thanks.

MjrCarNut
04-07-2007, 06:25 PM
:D Cant wait to hear both!

Inferno SRT8
04-07-2007, 06:28 PM
Great now ill be changing my catback for the 3rd time! 5" tips!!! OH YEA!!!!!

squigmang
04-08-2007, 03:57 PM
what do intercooled tips look like

teda
04-08-2007, 05:02 PM
what do intercooled tips look like

Here ya go, an easy find.......

http://www.borla.com/products/polished_tips.aspx

squigmang
04-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Here ya go, an easy find.......

http://www.borla.com/products/polished_tips.aspx

yeah im not feeling those tips.. should have went with the single wall for the 4" as well IMO

HoustonSRT-8
04-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Pics of said tips installed!!!

nyjpny
04-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Irealy want to get my set up and waiting for the borla but if it comes with those tips im going to get something else

HoustonSRT-8
04-09-2007, 07:34 AM
Irealy want to get my set up and waiting for the borla but if it comes with those tips im going to get something else
So get the louder system with the oval non-intercooled tips. :D

timster
04-09-2007, 04:42 PM
what exactly do intercooled tips do? I kinda don't like the looks of these tips, but I guess I will wait until the pics/sound clips come out before passing judgement

Mango
04-09-2007, 04:49 PM
EWWW I hope I can just get the rolled/polished tips. Intercooled tips = nasty

HoustonSRT-8
04-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Don't knock 'em. I have the intercooled tips on my Stang's Borla cat-back. :(

squigmang
04-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Don't knock 'em. I have the intercooled tips on my Stang's Borla cat-back. :(

got a pic for us?

HoustonSRT-8
04-11-2007, 05:41 PM
got a pic for us?
This is the best I have. It's a love it or hate it thing.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/30/march05_8.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/30/march05_4.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/30/march05_3.jpg

the dj
04-12-2007, 08:03 AM
And Dave, will we see headers soon??

timster
04-14-2007, 06:16 PM
any updates?