GS Motorsports Phenolic Intake Manifold Spacer $119 [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: GS Motorsports Phenolic Intake Manifold Spacer $119

GSMSales
02-22-2007, 07:25 PM
Hey guys, hope everyone is good.

Here's an addition to our product line and wanted to make sure everyone is brought up to speed.

GS Motorsports Phenolic intake manifold spacer Reduces heat transferred to intake manifold resulting in cooler intake temperatures and increased power.

http://www.gsmotorsports.com/Merchan...ry_Code=INTACC

Feel free to contact me as always.
Ryan@gsmotorsports.com
562-777-1075
Yahoo IM: gsm sales

BBLV
02-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Link no workey

Razorecko
02-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Link no workey

LOL, am I the only one to see the irony in that.

BuilderBill
02-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Pretty humorous!

Hallstar
02-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Same results as the torque mod...Nothing!!!

SilverSRT8
02-22-2007, 10:27 PM
[URL="http://www.gsmotorsports.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-PIMS&Category_Code=INTACC"]

Never heard of this type of spacer before. Is it proven to work.....?

SilverSRT8
02-22-2007, 10:28 PM
http://www.gsmotorsports.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-PIMS&Category_Code=INTACC

Never heard of this type of spacer before. Is it proven to work.....?

ge2
02-22-2007, 10:36 PM

Actually, I got a brief chuckle too :)

Black_SRT8
02-22-2007, 10:40 PM
What is the difference between the product in the thread and $26 Thermal Insulator Intake Gaskets?

akatheproducer
02-23-2007, 02:42 AM
L. O. Really L

BuilderBill
02-23-2007, 05:40 AM
What is the difference between the product in the thread and $26 Thermal Insulator Intake Gaskets?
$ 93.00 profit. Much better mark up than construction.
BuilderBill

AlexT
02-23-2007, 06:17 AM
$ 93.00 profit. Much better mark up than construction.
BuilderBill

Construction doesn't require all that R&D. :p

Alex

whiskey
02-23-2007, 06:54 AM
Two Guys Garage installed one on their show. They also installed headers, and would not show % gain from just the spacer or just the headers.

whiskey
02-23-2007, 06:56 AM
I know in my carburated racing days, a 1/2 to 3/4 carburetor spacer plate would change the performance characteristics of the motor, adding some to the top end and taking it away at the bottom.

If I remember correctly, the Edelbrock Performer vs. Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifolds only differences are the included 3/4" spacer at the carb mounting surface......

whiskey
02-23-2007, 07:01 AM
What is the total thickness of this spacer?

GotStroke?
02-23-2007, 11:26 AM
The only way this type of thing would net power was if it prevented the manifold from being heatsoaked, and even then it's probably not going to do anything. Adding more runner length to this manifold is not a good idea.

Fastest H-Town Realtor
02-23-2007, 11:53 AM
The only way this type of thing would net power was if it prevented the manifold from being heatsoaked, and even then it's probably not going to do anything. Adding more runner length to this manifold is not a good idea.

You dont know anything. Your not a race car builder. Your opinion is bunk. I have tons of pro race cars that have a million HP and I know this guy who knows a guy who once drove pasta dodge dealship and he said his wifes spacer makes big HP...:p ;) :D

Guess who I am.....

ge2
02-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Is that a (bad) impression of me? :)

millers_srt
02-23-2007, 12:10 PM
How does this prevent heat transfer? The intake is still sitting on top of the motor, albeit a few millimeters higher. I could see this possibly helping bottom end by increasing the length of the intake tract, but it would sacrifice some top end. I'd like to see some dyno results and a better product description.

GotStroke?
02-23-2007, 12:14 PM
How does this prevent heat transfer? The intake is still sitting on top of the motor, albeit a few millimeters higher. I could see this possibly helping bottom end by increasing the length of the intake tract, but it would sacrifice some top end. I'd like to see some dyno results and a better product description.

Ever notice that after an extended or spirited drive if you touch the top of the intake manifold, it's warm/hot? That's heat from the longblock transfered to the intake casting itself. Phenolic material is a poor conductor of heat and will help to stop the transfer of heat from the intake ports/heads to the manifold. With that being said, it's not like the air is in the runners/manifold long enough to really heat up at all, so I don't see it doing much if anything at all other than adding runner length which we don't need.

GotStroke?
02-23-2007, 12:15 PM
You dont know anything. Your not a race car builder. Your opinion is bunk. I have tons of pro race cars that have a million HP and I know this guy who knows a guy who once drove pasta dodge dealship and he said his wifes spacer makes big HP...:p ;) :D

Guess who I am.....

LOL, I know I know. Armchair quarterbacks like me need to STFU. :p

GSM
02-23-2007, 02:27 PM

We will be dynoing next week, we have tested with the infared heat gun and heat recording stickers and the avg difference in manifold temp is 60 degrees!

I know how these motors run cold and they are way stronger.

I am sure everyone here will attest to losing quite a bit after the car is warm and much more so when the cars run really hot

The spacers are made from phenolic super hi heat material (up to 700 degrees)

They are only for the 6.1 which has a tremdous heat transfer issue on the intake manifold from the motor.

I can now drive one of our srt's and with the engine completely warm put my hand on the intake manifold with out leaving 3 layers of skin....this is a big improvement

They are designed very well and install easly

Scott
GS Motorsports

millers_srt
02-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Thank you for the better explaination. Can't wait to see dyno results.

tainui
02-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Should be $45. Like everything else its grossly overpriced. but you'll sell them anyway cause most of us have more money than sense.

firefighter
02-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks Scott,

I applaud the fact GSM has interest in making parts and mods for our Jeeps.This mod my not interest me but the Supercharger mod will be something if tuning problems are resolved.

You can count the amount of vendors for the Jeeps and they do not amount to many.With the low production numbers of these Jeeps don't count on having venders lined up like the Chevy guys have it.

whiskey
02-23-2007, 05:45 PM
I am very sorry gents,
I was very much confused.
I did not realize this went between the manifold and the intake, instead, I thought it went between the intake and the throttle body. When the original link didnt work, I made the mistake of assuming that this was a different part.

Two Guys Garage did not demonstrate this part.

I cant wait to see the dyno differences for a heat soaked engine with this phenolic spacer!

GSM
02-23-2007, 06:31 PM
We are going to dyno them on a Jeep this weekend, so I will post the results as well as a video

Thanks

Scott

Goldengreek5
02-26-2007, 10:27 AM
We are going to dyno them on a Jeep this weekend, so I will post the results as well as a video

Thanks

Scott
Approx. install time???

AlexT
02-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Approx. install time???

He posted it was 30 mins.

Alex

whiskey
02-26-2007, 12:33 PM
He posted it was 30 mins.

Alex

30 mins for pro-wrench-head or 30 minutes for (mostly) benchracer with a set of craftsman tools?

AlexT
02-26-2007, 01:12 PM
30 mins for pro-wrench-head or 30 minutes for (mostly) benchracer with a set of craftsman tools?

I'd imagine it's simple. It should just be removing the intake manifold and swapping out the gasket and replacing with the phenolic. But what do I know; I've never looked closely enough at the intake manifold to determine what else needs to be removed in order to remove it.

Alex

whipple1
03-02-2007, 04:57 PM
I wouldnt think it makes any difference except causing problems ( possible intake vaccuum leaks and maybe a warranty issue if something happens) that little bit is just not worth it.I would like to see the inside air temp not the outside of the manfold.On a 90 degree day with the hood closed on a 215 degree engine everything is hot I think the battery would be over 116 degrees and that isnt connected to the engine and made of plastic.Thats just my opinion to each his own.

BBLV
03-02-2007, 07:24 PM
I wouldnt think it makes any difference except causing problems ( possible intake vaccuum leaks and maybe a warranty issue if something happens) that little bit is just not worth it.I would like to see the inside air temp not the outside of the manfold.On a 90 degree day with the hood closed on a 215 degree engine everything is hot I think the battery would be over 116 degrees and that isnt connected to the engine and made of plastic.Thats just my opinion to each his own.

I would have to agree with the above post. It is very hard to believe this phenolic spacer of 1/4" will do enough as a simple replacement of the OEM gasket to gain 1HP, let alone over 30HP! Its almost comical that GSM is selling it, nothing personal, but there hasn't been much of any talk about their products since their superchargers started blowing up engines. :rolleyes:

I would love to believe the claims, but there is just no possible the claims or true. Running the engine "up to operating temps" is very loosely defined. In real world apps you would need to drive it hard for 30 minutes AND THEN dyno it back to back to back to make any realistic claims as to HP gains. Then, and only then, would be OK to compare the dyno results of this process without the spacer, and then obviously, with the spacer.

Whew. Enjoy the long post :p

HoustonSRT-8
03-02-2007, 11:37 PM
FYI - a phenolic spacer is not a replacement for the gasket. It installs like this.

Upper intake
-
gasket
-
phenolic spacer
-
gasket
-
lower intake

6.1 Turbo
03-03-2007, 01:35 AM
FYI - a phenolic spacer is not a replacement for the gasket. It installs like this.

Upper intake
-
gasket
-
phenolic spacer
-
gasket
-
lower intake

Install should be like this according to GSM:

Upper intake
-
phenolic spacer
-
gasket
-
lower intake

Only one gasket needed.

"Hey guys just to confirm what dookie posted ,

[quote=Dookie;71762]Got a few questions answered:

1. The spacers do not come with gaskets, you will have to reuse your factory gasket or replace with an alternative.

The factory gaskets are reusable

2. Only one gasket set is required, between the head and spacer, then the manifold fits against the spacer.

Correct, we supply new plastic push rivets that locate in the manifold just like the stock gasket alone would (see attached) we do recommend to apply thin layer of silicone rtv to the manifold side before installing gaskets to the manifold.

3. Stock manifold bolts work fine, NO longer bolts required."

HoustonSRT-8
03-03-2007, 01:55 PM
So the bottom of the spacer requires a gasket, but the top does not? What kind of sense does that make? I doubt the spacer has a different material top and bottom. How is the top supposed to seal without a gasket?

gbusy1906
03-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Any results from GSM yet? I would like to know.

Jaybo
03-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Hey guys..Im new here but I do know that the Lightning guys are reporting several HP gain out of the phenolic spacers they are using between the blower case and intake ...If these motors are as heat sensitive as everyone says it honestly might be able to help.

Jaybo
04 Lightning
future SRT8 GC owner

Goldengreek5
03-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Installed mine yesterday. Feels like it pulls harder mid range. Top of the engine much cooler to the touch!! Def recomend it for anyone that tracks their beast!!!

gbusy1906
03-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Noticed any leaks with this spacer? Were the instructions for installation precise? Will you take it to the track to see if there is a decrease in your et? I am curious.

Goldengreek5
03-09-2007, 12:21 PM
No leaks, (I hope) Instructions were suprisingly good, no missing pieces, etc...
I'll be hitting the track April 1st.