180 Thermostat Problems? [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: 180 Thermostat Problems?

FastSRT8GC
02-14-2007, 05:22 PM
I am fairly familiar with all things mechanical and i dont see any adverse problems with doing this mod. But the guy at Autozone tried to talk me out of getting a lower Thermostat.

Those of you that have it done what has been the long term affects so far?

Thank you.

generalconfusion
02-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Thats why he works at Auto Zone!

Dont listen to those counter idiots......get the 4128 which is 180deg or the 4127 which is 170 deg......I'd stick to the 180. Ive been running a Stant 190 for 10 months and never had a single problem......nor has anyone else.

FastSRT8GC
02-15-2007, 07:38 AM
That was my take on it also, He was an older gentleman so i gave him the respect he deserved by listening to his rant , but out of the list of 10 things he told me could go wrong one or two of them made me think there may be long term problems.

So i figured i would ask you guys. Thanks for the input.

GotStroke?
02-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Autozone employees can't tell their head from their ass. I'm running a stant 180 in 0F weather with no issues. With that being said, go to Advance Auto and pick up the Motorad/Robert Shaw 383-170. It's a better design overall, poppet style vs. balanced sleeve, and if it fails will do so in the open position.

BuilderBill
02-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Autozone employees can't tell their head from their ass. I'm running a stant 180 in 0F weather with no issues. With that being said, go to Advance Auto and pick up the Motorad/Robert Shaw 383-170. It's a better design overall, poppet style vs. balanced sleeve, and if it fails will do so in the open position.
The Stant 180* is what I am using but changing to the 383-170 this week.
I'm sure that Autozone employees do not realize that a 180* does not run all the time at 180*. Actually the only time mine runs 180* is with the fan mod ON.
Bill

FastSRT8GC
02-16-2007, 12:21 PM
OK the Motorad is installed and the cooling system appearrs to have burped well. When I get a chance i will take it out to see how the temps are.

Thanks everyone.

Simple install BTW.

GotStroke?
02-16-2007, 03:32 PM
I picked up the MotoRad/Robert Shaw 383-170 earlier today and threw it in around an hour ago. It's a nice piece.
On a side note the AutoZone I visited had one of those omniscient counter clerks who couldn't help but question why I'd want such a thermostat; he of course topped it off with an eye roll.:rolleyes: I should have slapped him.

Squilly D
02-16-2007, 04:03 PM
The Stant 180* is what I am using but changing to the 383-170 this week.
I'm sure that Autozone employees do not realize that a 180* does not run all the time at 180*. Actually the only time mine runs 180* is with the fan mod ON.
Bill
Is the only thing the fan mod allows you to do is manually turn on the fan? I thought I had seen somewhere that is alters the traction control or something but I can not find this thread anywhere.

gculver
02-16-2007, 04:07 PM
I should have slapped him.
That would have been priceless!!!! pics please!!:D

BuilderBill
02-16-2007, 04:17 PM
I picked up the MotoRad/Robert Shaw 383-170 earlier today and threw it in around an hour ago. It's a nice piece.
On a side note the AutoZone I visited had one of those omniscient counter clerks who couldn't help but question why I'd want such a thermostat; he of course topped it off with an eye roll.:rolleyes: I should have slapped him.
Had mine on all afternoon, love it!
Let's see if it makes a difference at Rockingham tomorrow!
Bill

gculver
02-16-2007, 04:23 PM
Bill
BILL, I'm not the betting type, but............ good luck!

GotStroke?
02-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Bill

Can't wait to see your results, Good luck!

Squilly D
02-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Is the only thing the fan mod allows you to do is manually turn on the fan? I thought I had seen somewhere that is alters the traction control or something but I can not find this thread anywhere.
Anyone know the answer to this question? Thanks to everyone for your help.

SpeedRacer333
02-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Anyone know the answer to this question? Thanks to everyone for your help.

Squilly, most of us have opted to make our own fan-only mod, allowing the driver to turn the e-fans on/off as needed. The ESP/Torque management mod is sold by GSM and has switches for the fan control and ESP/Torque Management disable. Here is the link to that product: http://www.gsmotorsports.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HMIESPFAN

Most Jeep owners leans towards the fan only switch mod as the GSM esp mod totally disables the ABS (which can be done also by pulling a fuse, although not as easy to do).

Squilly D
02-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Squilly, most of us have opted to make our own fan-only mod, allowing the driver to turn the e-fans on/off as needed. The ESP/Torque management mod is sold by GSM and has switches for the fan control and ESP/Torque Management disable. Here is the link to that product: http://www.gsmotorsports.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HMIESPFAN

Most Jeep owners leans towards the fan only switch mod as the GSM esp mod totally disables the ABS (which can be done also by pulling a fuse, although not as easy to do).
Thanks for the info. I have installed the Stant 180 thermostat and am trying to decide on the fan mod.

runnin 9s
02-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Has anyone had leaking problems after installing a 180t. Mine is leaking a lot.

SpeedRacer333
02-16-2007, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the info. I have installed the Stant 180 thermostat and am trying to decide on the fan mod.

Are you planning to take her to the drag strip? If so, the fan mod is a must, even with the lower-temp t-stat. But if not, and your goal with the 180 is to just lower operating temps while at speed, maybe not...

Wonder if the rubber seal was damaged during install of the new t-stat somehow?

teda
02-17-2007, 04:39 AM

Obviously I can't be sure what your problem is, but can relay this.

When I first put my Stant in I was in a hurry and simply laid the thermostat up against the o ring/gasket. It leaked. When I took it out to check, realized that the lip on thermostat needed to be inserted into the slit in o ring thus sealing both sides. No more leak period. Hope this is clear.

Squilly D
02-17-2007, 05:09 AM
I will be going to the track but not on a regular basis. I definitely want to do the fan mod and I have seen a wiring diagram detailing how to do it. Problem is the diagram does not make sense to me. Is there a plug in fan mod or does it require cutting and soldering?

BuilderBill
02-17-2007, 06:29 AM
I will be going to the track but not on a regular basis. I definitely want to do the fan mod and I have seen a wiring diagram detailing how to do it. Problem is the diagram does not make sense to me. Is there a plug in fan mod or does it require cutting and soldering?
No soldering is required if you use a tap in connector to the large main fan wire. I soldered mine only because I am a little nuts about running 40+ amps through a tap connector. MOST people, including the kits from GSM use the tap in connector. The remainder of the install also just uses splice in connectors.

http://www.wiringproducts.com/?target=dept_36.html&gclid=CPuiopGdmIoCFQ8RgQodRwXNhQ
I bought my stuff from the above outfit.
Bill