2800 stall converter [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: 2800 stall converter

JTSRT
02-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Anyone have inforrmation on the 2800 stall converters as far as reliability and workability with or without a tune. I am interested in getting one but wanna make sure it doesn't set codes and cause more problems than it's worth.
Thanks

generalconfusion
02-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Its a 2600rpm if your talking about the APC converter. I have had it in now for 3,000 miles......best mod for the money.

BDNJ
02-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Vigilante makes a 3200!

-Brendan

ge2
02-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Disclaimer: I'm an uneducated moron when it comes to performance mods

Can you guys tell me what a stall converter does?

JTSRT
02-14-2007, 02:01 PM
There is a 2800 stall converter from moparsupercenter I believe. Just wanted to make sure it won't set any codes. The guy was telling me that over 2800 was turning the transmission into limp (sp.) mode or something.

GotStroke?
02-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Disclaimer: I'm an uneducated moron when it comes to performance mods

Can you guys tell me what a stall converter does?

A converter basically acts like a clutch in a manual trans vehicle. The stall speed (2800 in this case) is when it stops slipping/multiplying torque.

SilverSRT8
02-14-2007, 04:32 PM
the way I see it is that you can rev it higher then drop the brake and it will get to your powerband faster. I have been thinking about getting one.

how hard is it to install?

live4skins
02-14-2007, 09:01 PM
Guys & gals,

I purchased a 2800 stall from Protorque. I've been waiting for Thursday to come around. I'll have it installed 2/15/07 and will let you know how it feels :D

I'll keep you posted later on in the evening. The weather has been pretty bad so I dont know how the streets will look like, fingers crossed!

kramsay1234
02-14-2007, 09:18 PM
To understand stall torque converters, one needs to first understand the how
the stall of a converter is determined. The stall of a converter can be
determined by placing the transmission in forward gear, applying and holding
the brakes, and depressing the throttle until the engine can no longer increase RPM or the brakes no longer hold the vehicle. The maximum RPM the engine developed is considered the stall speed of the converter. The brakes must hold the vehicle for the test to be valid.

Many factors affect the stall speed, such as the engine, cam set-up, and the
torque converter condition. The stall of a converter can vary significantly if
placed in different vehicles. Stall converters are desirable because the can
deliver the maximum torque from the engine to the transmission from a dead stop.
________
Pov Webcam (http://www.****tube.com/categories/897/webcam/videos/1)

generalconfusion
02-14-2007, 10:34 PM
There is a 2800 stall converter from moparsupercenter I believe. Just wanted to make sure it won't set any codes. The guy was telling me that over 2800 was turning the transmission into limp (sp.) mode or something.

I have the APC sold by Jeff @ MoparSuperCenter......it has a stall of 2600 so it will not throw a CEL. Anything above that may throw a CEL and cause the tranny to freak making it think it has a problem.

It makes my truck spin the tires and definetly launches harder.

Hallstar
02-14-2007, 11:15 PM
I also ordered the apc from Mopar Super Center but I opted for the Billet cover...I should have it installed the day it gets here!!! I hope its nasty!!!

Se7en
02-15-2007, 01:25 AM
I also want to make sure that I understand. What you're saying is that the only way a stall converter can be felt is through the application of brakes and that under normal conditions (let's say WOT from a full stop with no braking applied) there is no difference in performance or driveability?

Also if this is the case the only reason why a repair tech would be able to detect a stall converter is because he was performing launches with the brakes applied?

Thanks for the additional clarification.

BDNJ
02-15-2007, 08:20 AM
The stall converters also multiply the torque more quickly. Stock has an str of around 1.5-1.7. Some of the aftermarket converters are running 1.7-2.0. The Vigilante 3200 should be in the area of 2-2.3. My understanding is this will yield very, very, small rpm drop offs between shifts.

JTSRT
02-16-2007, 05:53 PM
I talked to Jeff and he said so far there hasn't been any trouble with codes and the 2800 stall. Just curious if anyone had one in. He said it has been goog without a program so far from what he knows. As far as installing, I think it is around 700 - 800 dollars.
JT

gbusy1906
02-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Has anyone 1/4 miled their truck with this mod only? If so, what improvements were noticed. Sorry to Jack your thread, but I am curious to know if this mod is worth it. I am thinking if the have tranny problems after the install, the dealer may link this mod to it. Then this may void a portion or perhaps, all of your warranty. Hence, there is a lot at stake.

Hallstar
02-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Mine from Mopar Super Center is 2600 with a lightened Billet cover for $775...and installation was quoted at $550 at their Dealership!!! I should do it there but then its on Jeeps database that I have it... hence warranty...I assume will be null and void!!!