Photos of Volant Intake with lower brake scoop [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Photos of Volant Intake with lower brake scoop

BuilderBill
02-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Attached are the photos for the lower ram air for the new Volant CAI. I ordered the 3 parts (4" * 4" elbow, 4" polished tube, 4" * 3.5" coupler) from SFX.

The biggest mod was cutting off most of the stock air box mounting bracket (with the rubber grommet) to allow for the 4" tube to extend from the 90 degree elbow up to the bottom of the Volant box with the existing 3.5" inlet. This bracket is not used with the Volant. My brake snorkel was previously shortened when I modified the stock box by connecting it with the 4" flex dryer vent tubing to the brake snorkel.

I did drill and install a screw in the plastic factory grill snorkel to the front of the Volant air box as it was a bit of a sloppy fit.

Oh yeah, I ran a 12.93 at Rockingham yesterday with this setup. My previous best with the '07 was 13.17....don't get your hopes up too much as I also changed from the original thermostat to a 180 Stant (p/n 14248). I believe that the thermostat change with a fan mod (NOT GSM) made the greatest difference. I will post the slips on another link.
Bill

BuilderBill
02-11-2007, 01:02 PM
A few more photos

BuilderBill
02-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Last group of photos attached...whew!
Sorry about all the photos, maybe there was an easier way?
Bill

timster
02-11-2007, 01:24 PM
looks great!

candyman
02-11-2007, 03:24 PM
I think I'll wait till Volant brings out their ram-air option for the Jeep cai.

AlexT
02-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Looks good Bill. :thumbsup:

Alex

gbusy1906
02-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Bill, what other mods do you have and what was your 60ft and mph when you ran the 13.17 and 12.93. Great idea on the ram air, I like it.

BuilderBill
02-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Bill, what other mods do you have and what was your 60ft and mph when you ran the 13.17 and 12.93. Great idea on the ram air, I like it.
Thanks, pretty clean, I thought. I hooked up my laptop with the scantool software that lets you monitor different sensors and the IAT read from 0 to + 2 degrees hotter than the ambient air whether sitting or moving...not too bad.
1.756 for the 60ft.
The performance mods I have are the Volant CAI with front and bottom ram air, Mopar catback, Fan mod, 180 thermostat only.
Bill

OurZoo
02-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Dude you rock! Very nice mod man. Question though....What effect does this have on cooling the brakes now that you've circumvented it as a ram air?

BuilderBill
02-11-2007, 05:23 PM
"Dude you rock! Very nice mod man. Question though....What effect does this have on cooling the brakes now that you've circumvented it as a ram air?"

If I were road racing (never) or on a circle track (never) I sure would never do this or change my pads. After stopping at the strip from 104 mph the brakes are barely warm. When I installed the new drilled and slotted rotors with the Zeckhausen pads, I never lost pedal after 10 repeated fast slow downs from 70 mph to 10 mph. Therefore I am not overly concerned with this mod.
Bill

gculver
02-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Bill, Nice times. I knew you could get there. BTW, Nice air box with accessories, me likey!!

BuilderBill
02-11-2007, 06:37 PM
gculver,
The box worked out alot better than I had envisioned! The worst fit was the Volant to stock factory front scoop.

What do you know about the 170 thermostat, if you let the Hemi warm up? Not into codes and resets. You were onto something if you read the other site and some of the problems associated with the cams that are pretty low on vacuum at idle. I am going to be pretty careful on my cam selection if at all.
Bill

Send me a pm about how you cut your bump stops.
Bill

generalconfusion
02-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks, pretty clean, I thought. I hooked up my laptop with the scantool software that lets you monitor different sensors and the IAT read from 0 to + 2 degrees hotter than the ambient air whether sitting or moving...not too bad.
1.756 for the 60ft.
The performance mods I have are the Volant CAI with front and bottom ram air, Mopar catback, Fan mod, 180 thermostat only.
Bill

0 - 4 is actually pretty good compared to the stock set up

oman srt8
02-12-2007, 12:53 AM
Nice Look Great :)

GRNENVY
02-12-2007, 04:24 AM
What was your mph before and after you did these mods. After looking at the pics seems like the system could be restrictive once the lip is installed. Plus all those bends theres know way there's any Ram air affect going on. Ram air only helps at high speeds and you would need a huge air duct up front to catch the air not a 4 inch hole. But seems like something is working your times are great.

Attached are the photos for the lower ram air for the new Volant CAI. I ordered the 3 parts (4" * 4" elbow, 4" polished tube, 4" * 3.5" coupler) from SFX.

The biggest mod was cutting off most of the stock air box mounting bracket (with the rubber grommet) to allow for the 4" tube to extend from the 90 degree elbow up to the bottom of the Volant box with the existing 3.5" inlet. This bracket is not used with the Volant. My brake snorkel was previously shortened when I modified the stock box by connecting it with the 4" flex dryer vent tubing to the brake snorkel.

I did drill and install a screw in the plastic factory grill snorkel to the front of the Volant air box as it was a bit of a sloppy fit.

Oh yeah, I ran a 12.93 at Rockingham yesterday with this setup. My previous best with the '07 was 13.17....don't get your hopes up too much as I also changed from the original thermostat to a 180 Stant (p/n 14248). I believe that the thermostat change with a fan mod (NOT GSM) made the greatest difference. I will post the slips on another link.
Bill

BuilderBill
02-12-2007, 06:04 AM
What was your mph before and after you did these mods. After looking at the pics seems like the system could be restrictive once the lip is installed. Plus all those bends theres know way there's any Ram air affect going on. Ram air only helps at high speeds and you would need a huge air duct up front to catch the air not a 4 inch hole. But seems like something is working your times are great.
GRNENVY,
Before best was 102.52 mph now 103.50 mph...something added power. The only way to know for sure is to may a couple of runs with the lower scoop blocked off, possibly taping across the grill or I am open to any other suggestions.
Bill

gculver
02-12-2007, 06:53 AM
Bill, compare humidity and barometric pressure from the 2 days, baro affects the MAP sensor and hense the ECM calculation of the mass/density of air and A/F ratios. 2-3 tenths could easily be gained or lost depending. Could be your answer.

BuilderBill
02-12-2007, 07:38 AM
Bill, compare humidity and barometric pressure from the 2 days, baro affects the MAP sensor and hense the ECM calculation of the mass/density of air and A/F ratios. 2-3 tenths could easily be gained or lost depending. Could be your answer.
I will research that.
I broke the damn little plastic piece off the IAT sensor by accident (I did order a new one), don't think it caused any problem since by scantool software on the laptop read the inlet temp within +/- 2 degrees of ambient air always.
Would you have the P/N for the 170 Stant thermostat?
Bill

GRNENVY
02-12-2007, 07:42 AM
He's right

gculver
02-12-2007, 07:46 AM
Bill, I do not, go to the LX board and look there under knowledge base.!! Should find It-more srt8 lx cars run the 170* than do the jeeps.

GRNENVY
02-12-2007, 03:38 PM
I run the 170 but I live in florida and yes my truck definitely runs better cooler.

Bill, I do not, go to the LX board and look there under knowledge base.!! Should find It-more srt8 lx cars run the 170* than do the jeeps.

BuilderBill
02-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Thanks guys, the 170* thermostat is a MotoRad 4127 / Robert Shaw 383-170 available at Autozone. I will try it also GRNENVY. Can't imagine any codes since it should still reach operating temperature normally until the fan kicks on.
Bill

whipple1
02-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Last group of photos attached...whew!
Sorry about all the photos, maybe there was an easier way?
Bill
Hey Bill ,thankyou for all the pics they look great,it is great to see quality work out there good to see you put imagination into before putting it in,Thats exactly what im looking for:D Thanks again for your time.

BuilderBill
02-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Hey Bill ,thankyou for all the pics they look great,it is great to see quality work out there good to see you put imagination into before putting it in,Thats exactly what im looking for:D Thanks again for your time.
Thats the great thing about this Forum in particular, people working together so each one of us does not have to "reinvent the wheel". The knowledge base is huge and when a problem arises, we realize that most likely we are not alone.
Bill

Mango
04-11-2007, 07:14 AM
How exactly did you get the snorkle to mate with the brake cooling duct? Can you post pictures of that or describe it in detail, I'm going to do this mode today or tomorrow. Thanks!

UDLOSE
04-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Yeah I would like to know step by step.I will be ordering the parts later today:)

Ronin
04-11-2007, 04:10 PM
:cool: Looks good; I personally like Volant's design and use of materials over some others and have been happy using them in my other rides. Thanks for the post and pics,

Matty

9900rpm
04-12-2007, 02:10 PM
How exactly did you get the snorkle to mate with the brake cooling duct? Can you post pictures of that or describe it in detail, I'm going to do this mode today or tomorrow. Thanks!

I too would like to know. I was messing around with the truck yesterday, and hacked off the angle part of the right brake cooling duct (up to about an inch from the bracket part). I used a 4" flex duct hose thing from Loew's, nd got it to go over the opening of the outlet of the brake cooling duct. From there, I routed the hose up to the bottom of the intake. Took out the little silencer soda can looking thing by popping the 3 clips inside the air box. All of this is just temporary. Still waiting on a way to connect a 4" elbow to the outlet of the brake air duct (the piece is kinda square, so I'm not sure on what to do to get something on there).

FastSRT8GC
04-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Another topic for the Install Details page:eek:

What i used was 3in and it matched up perfectly with everything.

In plumbing @ Home Depot/Lowes get a 3in rubber coupler. Get about 3/4feet of 3in PVC along w/ the matching 90 elbow.
Mount your Rubber coupler to Volant air box.( easier mounting this first)

You will cut the pipe to length and slap the elbow on.

Then cut some more pipe an put it into the other end of the elbow. With this size pipe yo should be able to wedge it right into the brake scoop. You can put a few selftapping screws into the brake scoop and the pvc to make sure your 165mph runs dont pop it off.;)

OH, and black spray paint

Muellge
08-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Size with hose clamp mates with the bottom of the Volant box perfectly. Requires a measured cut out of the brake duct and insertion of the elbow portion into the brake duct. A one cut, one part, shadetree MOPAR Ram Air...

generalconfusion
08-04-2007, 07:18 PM
I just revisted your thread. I guess I really never looked at these photos......it looks like Volant really did their home work...Does the big end of the "TUBE" that attached to the filter size up to 4"??? It looks like it goes from 3-1/2.......to 4". What is the length and opening on the filter?

It appears that the brake scoop tube and the opening is 3".....is that correct?

Any room to make that a 4" opening??

Man, I would love to get that system over to CMW to put on the flow bench!!:eek: Southern HotRod???

BuilderBill
08-04-2007, 10:07 PM
I just revisted your thread. I guess I really never looked at these photos......it looks like Volant really did their home work...Does the big end of the "TUBE" that attached to the filter size up to 4"??? It looks like it goes from 3-1/2.......to 4". What is the length and opening on the filter?

It appears that the brake scoop tube and the opening is 3".....is that correct?

Any room to make that a 4" opening??

Man, I would love to get that system over to CMW to put on the flow bench!!:eek: Southern HotRod???
Steve,
I am currently in Charleston and unable to check the dimensions. I will get them for you!
This is the ram air setup originally designed by you and Claude????
Anyway, it was worth a well documented tenth and one mph at Rockingham the day I ran 125+ runs. Obviously it makes a difference and some power at the strip.

Someday if my supercharged 426 is ever finished, I would be glad to donate the setup for testing before I donate it to a buddy here I have promised it to.
Bill

gculver
08-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Steve,
I am currently in Charleston and unable to check the dimensions. I will get them for you!
This is the ram air setup originally designed by you and Claude????
Anyway, it was worth a well documented tenth and one mph at Rockingham the day I ran 125+ runs. Obviously it makes a difference and some power at the strip.

Someday if my supercharged 426 is ever finished, I would be glad to donate the setup for testing before I donate it to a buddy here I have promised it to.
Bill

If I remember correctly...I's 4" filter end, 3&1/2 TB end...but my volant is long gone. GC

generalconfusion
08-05-2007, 07:59 PM
If I remember correctly...I's 4" filter end, 3&1/2 TB end...but my volant is long gone. GC

Why did you get rid of it? The dimensions sound ideal.

gculver
08-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Why did you get rid of it? The dimensions sound ideal.

Simply put... It did not out perform my modded stock box... However, the AFE has promise....depending on the tube size & taper! GC

Muellge
08-07-2007, 09:29 PM
Fit into cut brake duct is very snug.

Size of duct cut and highly specialized shop tools are shown in last photo. ;)

Need to plug IAT sensor hole with plug.