Cold air intake? Do they work? [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Cold air intake? Do they work?

SLIPPIN
02-08-2007, 05:25 PM
OK, everyone and their dog has a cold air intake on their car or one on order. Does anybody have any real words of wisdom on these?

"I have a ___________ and it sucked the hood off my SRT"
"My budy has a__________ and he now gets 3 MPG"
"My girlfriend has a ____________and she is making 656 RWHP now!"

Anything that can be useful in determining if I want to spend cha ching on the bling, or go the route of a smart gentleman on this site, and cut my stock intake hose and drop in a K&N panel filter.

Do these make power?
Just noise?
Increase in MPG?
Decrease in MPG?
Insurance rates drop by 23%?
Make my car look good so I did it any way?

I am just looking for some advice from all who have or are looking for one of these. Fire at will!:D

FastSRT8GC
02-08-2007, 05:56 PM
In theory it is supposed to work. If it is closed off from the engine heat like with the Volant you will see increase in HP, and you should see small increases in MPG. The more air and oxygen you can cram into the intake the more power you will get. I think you will get close to the same effect with a drop K&N(with some mods to the box) as in the Volant. I just installed my Volant today and ended up using a lot of gas so i could hear the 6.1 howl.

The volant intake has a non ribbed hose what will allow a quicker and smoother flow. This is debatable as some say the air entering the intake needs to be defused to atomize it. Way too scientific for me. IMO they work. I have had drop in's, CAI and also have run no filter at the track.

To SUM it up.. More air = more power, More cold air =more oxygen, even more power, More oxygen cleaner more efficent burn in the combustion = More MPG.

HOW MUCH More..... who knows, I feel it works and works well.

barho
02-08-2007, 06:30 PM
I am trying to decide whether to purchase a CAI as well, and from everything I have heard, the Volant seems to be the "new" CAI of choice.

I do like the look of the DUB, but if the Volant gives a similar "throatier" sound and better performance, I don't need all the bling.

SRT8
02-08-2007, 06:56 PM
I put one on & lost 75% hp, so then my mpg went up 35%, & insurance rates went down 23.76%!!! :eek:

Dyno result show +5hp maybe, not enough for SOTP dyno to tell. When used w/other mods it may have a better effect.

FastSRT8GC
02-08-2007, 07:22 PM
The Volant is very well made. And i have noticed some HP increase and the sound is great. Not over kill but a very nice sound. You will not get this from the factory intake that has been modified, just due to the materials it is made out of.

If you want some extra HP with out the sound Buy a K&N cut out the bottem of the box and the front of the snorkel and be done for about 60.00 and 45min of your time.

If you want a slight bit more HP and the sound Get the Volant it replicates the factory box with some slight cosmetics and functionality improvements due to material and a hole on the bottom.

So far i like mine a lot.

SRedrockT8
02-08-2007, 08:22 PM
i dont plan on replacing the stock air box. my reasons go like this for what it's worth.

it's already sealed off from the engine compartment. and better sealed than the ones that use a rubber gasket & the hood

while the intake tube is ribbed on the outside, it's smooth on the inside.

the intake tube is rubber instead of aluminum so it doesn't get as hot.

it supplies plenty of air especially when you trim the front grill air tube and add a k&n drop in.

the volant looks well made but i dont like the hole in the bottom of the box that will draw in hotter engine compartment air. i guess it could be plugged but my stock box already is.

i think srt designed a mighty fine air box. the only change i would make is a larger opening on the grill tube & extend it all the way to the grill.

SLIPPIN
02-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Sheeeeeit, 23.76%! Put me down for two! This is the kind of feed back I am looking for. Unless someone can change my mind, I am going to try hacking up the stock one first, and go from there. If not happy, I will drop the fun tickets on a noise maker!:D

AlexT
02-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Surprisingly, the Volant isn't much louder than stock, at least to my ears.

Alex

generalconfusion
02-08-2007, 09:20 PM
I dynoed both the GSM and Mopar. Mopar is made by AEM, GSM did there own. The Mopar uses 4 " tubing.... the GSM 3" like the stock tube.....giving better throttle response.

Go to *********** and look at the dyno test done last year under sgtstanko. .....with the hood open we saw between 5-7hp. Close the hood and run around and the IAT sensor sees a big jump in temperature.....which robs power and defeats the whole point.

As far as stock vs Volant the Volant has visual pluses but it uses the stock snorkel......and is open at the bottom. You can do the same to the stock lower box by removing the 3" resonator cup. I prefer the vacuum created in the box forcing air from the front of the grille to be pulled in.

Last year alot of testing was done and the air that will be pulled from the bottom of the truck is better than from under the hood.....but the "lowest" temperature air (even on a hot day) will come from the grille area......especially at speeds over 30mph.

BuilderBill
02-08-2007, 09:40 PM
I dynoed both the GSM and Mopar. Mopar is made by AEM, GSM did there own. The Mopar uses 4 " tubing the GSM 3" like the stock tube.

Go to *********** and look at the dyno test done last year under sgtstanko. .....with the hood open we saw between 5-7hp. Close the hood and run around and the IAT sensor sees a big jump in temperature.....which robs power and defeats the whole point.

As far as stock vs Volant the Volant has visual pluses but it uses the stock snorkel......and is open at the bottom. You can do the same to the stock lower box by removing the 3" resonator cup. I prefer the vacuum created in the box forcing air from the front og the grille to be pulled in.

Last year alot of testing was done and the air that will be pulled from the bottom of the truck is better than from under the hood.....but the "lowest" temperature air (even on a hot day) will come from the grille area......especially at speeds over 30mph.
Generalconfusion,
Attached is the "Sarge/ Clyde" modified front snorkel and lower brake scoop. I will try this against the Volant, attached to the same front and a newer brake scoop (silicone elbow / polished 4" tube / 4" to 3.5" silicone connector) hopefully at the track back to back this weekend. The brake scoop to air intake is pretty ingenious...LOL
Bill

z28plus
02-08-2007, 09:41 PM
anyone got a K&N drop in filter part number?

Se7en
02-08-2007, 11:19 PM
anyone got a K&N drop in filter part number?

Here is what my Kragen receipt says (picking up tomorrow).

PA 8544462 (I think that is Kragen's number) 332233 (K&N's?)

SRedrockT8
02-09-2007, 06:10 AM
Here is what my Kragen receipt says (picking up tomorrow).

PA 8544462 (I think that is Kragen's number) 332233 (K&N's?)

yes, 332233 is k&n's filter number.

mike123
02-09-2007, 10:00 AM
I have had the mopar the dub and the k&n and now I have the volant and I think it works the best not as loud as the rest just enough noise under the hood I covered up the hole in the bottom of mine I went to home depot got a 3" rubber plug from the plumbing dept the clamp came with it and fit on perfect I put a small hole in the bottom of it in case some water gets in until volant comes out with the ram air scoop this works great

kramsay1234
02-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Do you also write for CAI Magazine?

I have had the mopar the dub and the k&n and now I have the volant and I think it works the best not as loud as the rest just enough noise under the hood I covered up the hole in the bottom of mine I went to home depot got a 3" rubber plug from the plumbing dept the clamp came with it and fit on perfect I put a small hole in the bottom of it in case some water gets in until volant comes out with the ram air scoop this works great
________
Marijuana Strain Strawberry Cough (http://trichomes.org/marijuana-strains/deep-chunk-x-strawberry-cough/deep-chunk-x-strawberry-cough)

twgcsrt8
02-10-2007, 03:58 PM
I just got back from the dealership after they installed a Mopar cold air intake in my 07. I can't feel a difference in HP but the exhaust definitely has a little more of a roar. I think it sounds even better now.

OK, everyone and their dog has a cold air intake on their car or one on order. Does anybody have any real words of wisdom on these?

"I have a ___________ and it sucked the hood off my SRT"
"My budy has a__________ and he now gets 3 MPG"
"My girlfriend has a ____________and she is making 656 RWHP now!"

Anything that can be useful in determining if I want to spend cha ching on the bling, or go the route of a smart gentleman on this site, and cut my stock intake hose and drop in a K&N panel filter.

Do these make power?
Just noise?
Increase in MPG?
Decrease in MPG?
Insurance rates drop by 23%?
Make my car look good so I did it any way?

I am just looking for some advice from all who have or are looking for one of these. Fire at will!:D

tainui
02-10-2007, 04:54 PM
I have a theory on Engine damage related to the cold air kits and ingesting rain. I'm waiting on a few photos but you should know mine is removed until I do a little more research.

timster
02-10-2007, 05:21 PM
I picked up the K&N filter today. strangley enough, I was able to shed 1/10 of a second off of my best 0-60 via g-tech - my new best is now 4.07 sec

I bet I can get it under 4 seconds with a couple of additional runs. I only had a chance to do two runs today..

Anyways, I didn't think just the K&N filter would do anything, but my time don't lie..

I guess the g-tech is pretty usefull

timster
02-11-2007, 07:17 AM
This K&N filter is the real deal. I did a few more 0-60 runs today - 3 total - two of the three runs were below 4.17 sec - which was my best time before changing to the K&N filter.

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=213&size=1

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=214&size=1

SRT8
02-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Will this fit the 6.1L?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aFe-STG2-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-05-06-JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE-HEMI_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQihZ002QQite mZ120084193471QQrdZ1#img3

AlexT
02-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Will this fit the 6.1L?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aFe-STG2-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-05-06-JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE-HEMI_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQihZ002QQite mZ120084193471QQrdZ1#img3

Hard to tell, there seem to be multiple setups they're showing in that ad. The one pic they show under the hood definitely won't work.

The unit doesn't look sealed and is more expensive than the Volant I just bought. Why risk it?

Alex

SRT8
02-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Hard to tell, there seem to be multiple setups they're showing in that ad. The one pic they show under the hood definitely won't work.

The unit doesn't look sealed and is more expensive than the Volant I just bought. Why risk it?

Alex
The big pic is of a 4.7L. the assembly is of the HEMI, it seems that 5.7L & 6.1L may use the same CAI.