Snorkel Mod (Factory Airbox) [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Snorkel Mod (Factory Airbox)

Se7en
02-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Hi All,

I think I'm probably missing something obvious here but I have not been able to find a single pic that shows or a link that specifically explains this mod. This said, I have found a bunch of post that directly reference it.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Untouchable
02-07-2007, 02:01 PM
i have some pics at home I can send. Basically, it is very easy.

If you locate the snorkel you will see that the intake is at a 90degree turn, meaning the opening faces the driver side of the car. What I did is cut away the angled part so that the opening is pretty much straight on, like a ram-air. I wont even begin to say I have felt a difference but combined with a drop-in KN I think its as good as a CAI. The stock intake tube is rubber but is a big bore and is smooth on the inside, meaning it flows more than enough air. The sucking sound with the metal tubes is just that. I prefer silence, at least from that end;)

Se7en
02-07-2007, 02:11 PM

If you locate the snorkel you will see that the intake is at a 90degree turn, meaning the opening faces the driver side of the car. What I did is cut away the angled part so that the opening is pretty much straight on, like a ram-air. I wont even begin to say I have felt a difference but combined with a drop-in KN I think its as good as a CAI. The stock intake tube is rubber but is a big bore and is smooth on the inside, meaning it flows more than enough air. The sucking sound with the metal tubes is just that. I prefer silence, at least from that end;)

Cool, thanks! This is what i was looking for :)

generalconfusion
02-07-2007, 06:19 PM
Hi All,

I think I'm probably missing something obvious here but I have not been able to find a single pic that shows or a link that specifically explains this mod. This said, I have found a bunch of post that directly reference it.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Pop the hood.....notice the six plastic retainers that hold the front grille......carefully remove the center of each retainer then remove the body.....DO NOT LOSE OR DAMAGE THEM.....lift and pull on the grille......you have now exposed the snorkel......look at it and examine how the end of it noses to the right.......just remove enough material at the top and left side of the snorkel so to expose the opening.......try to leave the floor and the right side so it looks like it flares at the opening. That way it will "catch" and direct as much outside air as possible right into the opening. I used a pair of sharp tin snips that cut thru it like butter.

I feel the aftermarket CAIs physically can not draw air from the outside nearly as efficiently as the stock cai.......the Volant does look very good and maybe a more efficient option. The Volant also uses the stock snorkel but they have also opened the bottom. Dont worry about water......the stock lower half of the box has a resonator that has a hole that would allow water to escape........which I doubt will be an issue.

GRNENVY
02-08-2007, 04:45 PM
This is the best mod you can do to the truck. It's very cheap and it will run with the best intake kit out there. I think it's better to be honest with you.

promo718
02-08-2007, 09:25 PM
What is the advantage of having the snorkel face to the side? Why was it designed that way, instead of pointing straight, to begin with?

ge2
02-08-2007, 10:19 PM
My guess is that it was designed to the side so water and road debris wouldn't have a clear shot at the filter.

Se7en
02-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the info folks! K&N is ordered and should be in tomorrow and I know what I'm doing this weekend.

On a side note I have had no luck finding a colder running Tstat for this car at any locals stores. I even called 2 autozones 30+ miles away and noone stocks one.

I'm in Japan next week and Lake Tahoe next weekend so it will be at least a couple of weeks before I will have another opportunity to do any wrenching.

promo718
02-08-2007, 11:56 PM
That's what I was thinking GE2: the right angle serves a purpose. Think I'll leave it as-is.

GotStroke?
02-09-2007, 12:17 AM
See post #11 for dyno results: http://www.***********/forums/showthread.php?t=3668&page=18

cobrakid
04-02-2007, 08:30 PM
....HOW does the factory air box come out?

I wanted to remove the intake silencer thing and cut the front scoop angle.

thanks....

NitroCrzy
04-03-2007, 01:22 AM
I think your missing the best mod....

The brake snorkel mod... here's the reference
http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2680&highlight=brake+snorkel+mod

I am planning on doing this for the next drag racing event here..... ;)

cobrakid
04-03-2007, 12:29 PM
I want to take it out to look at everything, and cut the front 90* bend out.

...I will put it back in, I want to make a scoop also.

thanks....

trying to go 13.0 first day at the track and amaze my skeptical buddies.

GRNENVY
04-04-2007, 07:10 AM
Good luck with the 13.0 all these truck run diff some are factory freeks and some are average. I ran a 13.44 in not the best conditions so far I have the average truck.

cobrakid
04-04-2007, 09:29 AM
.........I want to do the snorkel/scoop mod, but really didn't want to
pull the grill out??????

thanks,

Chuck NewBie from lower/slower DE

BuilderBill
04-04-2007, 09:49 AM
.........I want to do the snorkel/scoop mod, but really didn't want to pull the grill out??????
Cobra,
Trying not to be a smart a$$, however, the grill takes me less than 2 minutes to take completely out using a small flat blade screwdriver on the 6 plastic push fasteners. Where is the problem?
If you want to run strong DO change the thermostat to 170 and DO the fan mod. I don't think you will see 12 seconds without the above quickie mods.
Bill

cobrakid
04-04-2007, 09:59 AM
...thanks Bill,

If it is that easy with the grill, I will do it.
I don't want to mess this baby up.

I assume I can do the scoop mod from under without taking out airbox to
engineer it??????

Stat will be here today.....

Will do air box stuff tonight....

Will try and do fan mod Friday.....

I am also big on icing the intake at the track, want a bada$$ number the first
day.....and will lie to my buddy's about it being bone stock. (haha)

They think I am a dumbA$$ for spending $40k+ on a perfomance Jeep, I'll
show them. I know it is new, but I kinda like it more than my Cobra, b/c
of the quick take off and it is stock (for now)......

Really want the B&G stage II, but the computer($265) and flash ($600) is
hard to swallow although seems like it would pick the truck up at least 3 tenths.