Volant air intake just arrived....looks great! [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Volant air intake just arrived....looks great!

BuilderBill
01-26-2007, 06:54 AM
The Volant intake arrived, can't wait to install later this weekend. I will also try to "clean up" the lower brake snorkle - dryer flex line - intake connections. I will try and do back to back tests next weekend at Rockingham Dragway. I am sure that tis will not hurt performance like so many others, may even help over my modified factory air box.

Any hints on getting the sensor out of the existing rubber tube?
Bill

PS. Thanks Edwin, you run a 1st class operation! http://www.southernhotrod.com/store/home.php

ge2
01-26-2007, 07:21 AM
If the Volant didn't come with it's own grommet, and you need to re-use the one you have now, use a hair dryer or heat gun to warm the grommet up a bit. Be really careful if you use a heat gun, to not melt it. Soapy water also works well.

BuilderBill
01-26-2007, 07:36 AM
I see the Volant has a rubber grommet, so squirt the soapy water onto the existing grommet / sensor, apply some heat and pull straight out?
Bill

rainmaker
01-26-2007, 07:43 AM
The Volant intake arrived, can't wait to install later this weekend. I will also try to "clean up" the lower brake snorkle - dryer flex line - intake connections. I will try and do back to back tests next weekend at Rockingham Dragway. I am sure that tis will not hurt performance like so many others, may even help over my modified factory air box.

Bill

PS. Thanks Edwin, you run a 1st class operation!

Nice Floors. ;)

I'm guessing that the "snorkle tube" for the lower opening is sold separate? Or do they not offer that yet?

Thanks for the pics. Let us know how it performs.

SOUTHERNHOTROD
01-26-2007, 07:45 AM

Bill

PS. Thanks Edwin, you run a 1st class operation! http://www.southernhotrod.com/store/home.php
Awesome! :D

Thank you!

SOUTHERNHOTROD
01-26-2007, 07:47 AM
Nice Floors. ;)

I'm guessing that the "snorkle tube" for the lower opening is sold separate? Or do they not offer that yet?

Thanks for the pics. Let us know how it performs.

The optional "Ram-Air" tube is not available yet.

BuilderBill
01-26-2007, 07:48 AM
Lower snorkel assembly not included. I am trying to come up with something that looks as classy as the rest of the assembly. It is certainly the best I have seen to date.
Bill

PS. Maple flooring in photos installed diagonally by me!

rainmaker
01-26-2007, 08:02 AM
The optional "Ram-Air" tube is not available yet.

Hey Edwin,

Do they have an ETA on when it will be ready? Just curious.

Thanks.

BuilderBill
01-26-2007, 08:38 AM
I have just put together the pieces for the ram air snorkel...show quality for less than $ 100 including 2nd day shipping (couldn't wait).

GE2: you may want this just for the aesthetics!!! Lets see how it goes together next week.
Bill

ge2
01-26-2007, 08:48 AM
AWESOME!!! I have a volant that should be here before too long. Tell me more about the snorkel Bill. Can't wait to see it.

And yes-- soapy water, twist and pull straight out. If you don't have to re-use the grommet, you can also cut it with a razor blade.

BuilderBill
01-26-2007, 09:25 AM
Snorkel mod:
Formed 90 rubber elbow (plastic brake snorkel to upward polished alum tube). I ordered black, red and blue also available.
Polished 4" aluminum pipe from top of elbow to air box.
Rubber coupler 4" to 3 1/2" (connect polished tube to the bottom of the air box), I ordered black, red and blue also available.http://www.sfxperformance.com

Pretty slick site, let's see how they do!

This should be one 1st class setup & looks superior to the other CAI out there.
Bill

kramsay1234
01-26-2007, 09:29 AM
hey, hey. Careful. I have a DUB on the way!

But can't wait to see your finished pics.
________
Free drupal themes (http://themesfree.org)

BuilderBill
01-26-2007, 10:09 AM
oops.....sorry about the snub on DUB. I'm sure it is a good setup also!
Bill

AlexT
01-26-2007, 10:17 AM
Snorkel mod:
Formed 90 rubber elbow (plastic brake snorkel to upward polished alum tube). I ordered black, red and blue also available.
Rubber coupler 4" to 3 1/2" (connect polished tube to the bottom of the air box), I ordered black, red and blue also available.http://www.sfxperformance.com

Bill

This is great Bill. Keep the pics and details coming. I should also be getting my Volant any day, and I intend to steal shamelessly. :D

Alex

GotStroke?
01-26-2007, 03:35 PM
FWIW, silicone grease also works on the IAT sensor.

AlexT
01-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Got home and found mine sitting on the porch. Thanks for the great service Edwin.

Guess I have something else to do this weekend.

Alex

SOUTHERNHOTROD
01-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Got home and found mine sitting on the porch. Thanks for the great service Edwin.

Guess I have something else to do this weekend.

Alex
Awesome!

Thank you!

mike123
01-31-2007, 09:38 AM
What is also good for those connections to go in easy is di electric grease I had every CAI out so far and the sensor slides out very easy Iam waiting for my volant now

HoustonSRT-8
03-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Snorkel mod:

Bill
I'm looking to piece together this snorkel and had a few questions.

Was the 4" tubing you purchased 18" long (part #VIB2877)?

I couldn't find rubber elbows & couplings. Did you mean silicone? Hopefully not due to the price.

FastSRT8GC
03-14-2007, 09:07 PM
You can do this mod for under $15.

Go to home depot buy 3in PVC with a 90 elbow one 3in coupler some black paint. If you cut the brake scoop correct you can wedge the pvc into it and you only will need the one coupler. A few screws into the brake scoop and through the pvc to prevent it from moving. To wedge the pvc in the scoop you will have to cut the 3in PVC tube and have a small 3-4 inch section on the end of the 90 elbow.

NitroCrzy
03-14-2007, 09:44 PM
oops.....sorry about the snub on DUB. I'm sure it is a good setup also!
Bill

Was this the one you went with Bill? http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/VOL17861.htm

Why did you choose Volant over DUB?

SouthernHotRod ?
I am thinking of ordering some upgrades for my Jeep.... I live in Saudi Arabia and was wondering if you would ship here?

BuilderBill
03-15-2007, 04:23 AM
Was this the one you went with Bill? http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/VOL17861.htm

SouthernHotRod ?
I am thinking of ordering some upgrades for my Jeep.... I live in Saudi Arabia and was wondering if you would ship here?
That is the one. I liked the closed box design that had an open bottom tube for my brake ram air tube. I received mine from Southern Hotrod. Great vendor!!
Bill

SOUTHERNHOTROD
03-15-2007, 08:41 AM

SouthernHotRod ?
What are you looking to purchase?

Do you have a US address that we can ship to?

NitroCrzy
03-15-2007, 08:46 AM
What are you looking to purchase?

Do you have a US address that we can ship to?

I'm hoping to have it shipped directly here. I hate paying for shipping to my US address and then again to have shipped here. I am thinking CAI, possibly ported heads, intake, and maybe some nice wheels and tires. :D

SOUTHERNHOTROD
03-15-2007, 08:53 AM
I'm hoping to have it shipped directly here. I hate paying for shipping to my US address and then again to have shipped here. I am thinking CAI, possibly ported heads, intake, and maybe some nice wheels and tires. :D
You won't have to pay for shipping in the US!

It is MUCH easier for me to ship inside the US.

NitroCrzy
03-15-2007, 09:01 AM
You won't have to pay for shipping in the US!

It is MUCH easier for me to ship inside the US.

Yeah... lol.... but to ship here is spendy....
Time to try and find some buddies to do a Saudi group buy.

ge2
03-15-2007, 10:00 AM
I gotta give some applause to Southern Hotrod here. I have ordered 2 Volant intakes from them in the last 10 days, and the first one showed up in 3 days, while the second one showed up the very next day!

Thanks guys!

SOUTHERNHOTROD
03-15-2007, 10:52 AM
I gotta give some applause to Southern Hotrod here. I have ordered 2 Volant intakes from them in the last 10 days, and the first one showed up in 3 days, while the second one showed up the very next day!

Thanks guys!
Awesome!

Thank you!

maxxjeep
03-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Speaking of how nice the new Volant is...how is that GSM that is just taking up space in your ****** now? :cool:

completely unrelated...

SouthernHotrod what percentage of overall sales do you have via web boards such as this one? just curious...

SOUTHERNHOTROD
03-15-2007, 12:11 PM
SouthernHotrod what percentage of overall sales do you have via web boards such as this one? just curious...
Give me a call.

BuilderBill
03-15-2007, 01:08 PM

Thanks guys!
I had the same great success with him.
1st class.

whipple1
03-17-2007, 11:54 PM
My Volant also arrived from Southern HotRod,they were very pleasant and confident to deal with, definatly top notch service,:D Thanks Kevin...

Derwood98
05-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Snorkel mod:

Bill

Bill,

Any pictures or part numbers on your mod? Do you think it actually helped?

D-man
05-30-2007, 03:36 PM
I just recevied mine from "Southern HotRod" and it came a day earlier than expected!! Good job Eddie:D

BILL, Did the "soapy water, heat, etc." trick work on getting the IAT sensor out without damaging it? I know its pretty fragile:eek:

Inferno SRT8
05-30-2007, 04:30 PM
Im going to order mine, Ive had it with the Mopar HOT AIR INTAKE!

BuilderBill
05-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Bill,

Any pictures or part numbers on your mod? Do you think it actually helped?

Sorry Derwood...never saw this until today.
The mod was worth 1 tenth and 1 mph in the 1/4.
This was done at my track rental day of over 100 runs.
15 runs were made with the snorkel disconnected and I lost the tenth and 1 mph. After these 15 run I reconnected the snorkle ram air set up and immediately gained the tenth and 1 mph.

Pretty good gain for the money!

Sorry again for the late post.
Bill

BuilderBill
05-30-2007, 11:38 PM
I just recevied mine from "Southern HotRod" and it came a day earlier than expected!! Good job Eddie:D

BILL, Did the "soapy water, heat, etc." trick work on getting the IAT sensor out without damaging it? I know its pretty fragile:eek:

D-man, it is a bit*h getting that sensor out. I did crack one side off, but it did not seem to have any ill effect. I did replace it from the dealer then for about $ 20. It goes into the volant much better than the stock tube. There has to be a better trick to getting it out.

Bill

FastJeepSRT8
05-31-2007, 12:15 AM
Does the snorkel modification to the brake cooler hinder air flow to the brakes. It sounds like your just tapping the line to get more air to the air intake, right?

Dave
05-31-2007, 01:44 AM
Sorry Derwood...never saw this until today.
The mod was worth 1 tenth and 1 mph in the 1/4.
This was done at my track rental day of over 100 runs.
15 runs were made with the snorkel disconnected and I lost the tenth and 1 mph. After these 15 run I reconnected the snorkle ram air set up and immediately gained the tenth and 1 mph.

Pretty good gain for the money!

Sorry again for the late post.
Bill

is this 1 tenth/1mph for the volant AND snorkel or 1 tenth/1mph for each (so 2 tenth / 2mph with both)?

D-man
05-31-2007, 09:23 AM
D-man, it is a bit*h getting that sensor out. I did crack one side off, but it did not seem to have any ill effect. I did replace it from the dealer then for about $ 20. It goes into the volant much better than the stock tube. There has to be a better trick to getting it out.

Bill

Thanks Bill!

I got it out safe. Using a mixture of water and dishwashing liquid, twist it around a few times, then as I was twisting... pull up and out at a "slight" angle. Worked fine. A little struggle but the soap helped.

MY GRIPE: The Grill snorkel does NOT fit at all. It is horrible. I had to put (2) screws in the bottom of the snorkle -to- the Volant just to keep it in and it still doesn't fit right! Anybody else have this problem?

???????? Also, Until the brake snorkel mod, I am "ass-u-ming" that the lower intake hole just remains "open"?

HoustonSRT-8
05-31-2007, 09:27 AM
MY GRIPE: The Grill snorkel does NOT fit at all. It is horrible. I had to put (2) screws in the bottom of the snorkle -to- the Volant just to keep it in and it still doesn't fit right! Anybody else have this problem?

I have the same issue. The snorkel just kind of hangs there.

timster
06-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Didn't have problem getting the sensor out. I just used a flat head screwdriver and pried it off the hose

Regarding the stock grill scoop/snorkel, has anyone got it to fit snug in the volant airbox, like how it does with the stock box? This sort of pisses me off that the stock grill scoop doen't fit into the volant at all

Derwood98
06-04-2007, 08:22 PM
I had the same issue, but I installed a few self tapping screws to hold it in place. The best part was I was able to secure it at the angle I wanted. It's a poor design for a stock replacement, but a little creativity will make it sing.

bruso
06-04-2007, 08:26 PM
grill snorkle fits lousy, does not go in as much but seems to be ok.

SOUTHERNHOTROD
06-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks Bill!

I got it out safe. Using a mixture of water and dishwashing liquid, twist it around a few times, then as I was twisting... pull up and out at a "slight" angle. Worked fine. A little struggle but the soap helped.

???????? Also, Until the brake snorkel mod, I am "ass-u-ming" that the lower intake hole just remains "open"?
Try this....

Remove the aluminum lid... and pull up on the box while you push in the snorkle. It should snap right in.

timster
06-05-2007, 06:26 AM
Try this....

Remove the aluminum lid... and pull up on the box while you push in the snorkle. It should snap right in.

Thanks, I was able to fit the snorkel in this morning. It isn't exactly a great fit compared to how it sits in the stock air box, but it will do.

Anyways, it is hard to tell if there is much of a difference in performance with the Volant just yet - since it has been raining in the NorthEast. One thing that is different though is the sound at WOT..

I'll do some DashHawk 0-60 when the weather gets better and report back.

SilveRT8
06-05-2007, 07:12 AM
Thanks, I was able to fit the snorkel in this morning. It isn't exactly a great fit compared to how it sits in the stock air box, but it will do.

Anyways, it is hard to tell if there is much of a difference in performance with the Volant just yet - since it has been raining in the NorthEast. One thing that is different though is the sound at WOT..

I'll do some DashHawk 0-60 when the weather gets better and report back.

Now dont beat that 3.79 !! I'm trying to catch-up LOL
Claude

timster
06-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Now dont beat that 3.79 !! I'm trying to catch-up LOL
Claude

LOL, I am sure you will :D

phenwick
06-05-2007, 09:29 AM
I installed mine over the weekend, and I feel the truck is more responsive to the throttle. The wife even commented the same. I also feel the snorkel fit is in need of attention. It just seems to loosely hang there, held in place by the grill.
When installing, the stock bolt was too long to hold the airbox solid, so I used the stock rubber bushing from the stock box for a spacer.

gculver
06-05-2007, 09:49 AM
I installed mine over the weekend, and I feel the truck is more responsive to the throttle. The wife even commented the same. I also feel the snorkel fit is in need of attention. It just seems to loosely hang there, held in place by the grill.
When installing, the stock bolt was too long to hold the airbox solid, so I used the stock rubber bushing from the stock box for a spacer.

The snorkel does not fit well in the Volant box. When I had my Volant I used a small sheet metal screw to pin it in the box. Just run the screw on the inside lower portion of the snorkel, the screw end protruding through the snorkel will hold it against the box lip and it will not be seen!!!

phenwick
06-05-2007, 09:56 AM
The snorkel does not fit well in the Volant box. When I had my Volant I used a small sheet metal screw to pin it in the box. Just run the screw on the inside lower portion of the snorkel, the screw end protruding through the snorkel will hold it against the box lip and it will not be seen!!!
Thanks. I saw that earlier. I will do that, or maybe try a hose clamp around the snorkle, inside the box, or something to that effect.

timster
06-05-2007, 10:35 AM
IWhen installing, the stock bolt was too long to hold the airbox solid, so I used the stock rubber bushing from the stock box for a spacer.

I noticed that too. Good idea on using the stock bushing..

phenwick
06-05-2007, 10:38 AM
I noticed that too. Good idea on using the stock bushing..
I tried it without the inner metal sleeve, but it was too flexible and moved around too much. I ended up using the metal sleeve and the rubber bushing.
Removing the coolant tank bolt on the wheel well allows lifting the tank to give more room to work really helped.

blown65
06-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Try this....

Just got mine also, the angle of the box compared to the snorkle are different. Gotta fine some screws and jerry rig it I guess. :rolleyes: