High pitched squeal from inside engine [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: High pitched squeal from inside engine

SilveRT8
12-30-2008, 03:38 PM
For the last week, there is a constant high pitched squeal coming from inside my engine, at first it seemed to come from the air filter but it gets very loud when I remove the oil fill cap, so it's coming from inside the valve cover or engine. My regular mechanix tought of an air leak from the intake, so he did a smoke leak test but nothing showed, no vacuum leak, oil is fine, drives OK too. Today I started the engine cold and the squeal was not there, shut the engine, restarted and it was back again. Any ideas or suggestion ? 06 with 29K miles
Claude

chevyconvert
12-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Wild guess, but possibly the intake is cracked and it is sealed when it is cold but when it warms up it expands. Like I said it is a wild guess.

LonghornSpencer
12-30-2008, 03:46 PM
What oil and weight are you running?

aplatero1984
12-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Hey Claude,

I had a Durango with a 5.9L in the shop a few days back with the same concern. It was coming from the PCV valve. It could be the same thing on your Jeep. Just a guess though, wouldn't hurt to check into.

Also, does the sound get louder as the speed(RPM) increases?

SilveRT8
12-30-2008, 04:03 PM
No cracked intake as it would have shown on the smoke leak test.
Noise seems pretty constant and not vary with engine speed. I will double check for the PCV valve. Running the recommended Mobil 0-40W. Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming as I'm clueless about this and hate to bring it to the dealer
Claude

aplatero1984
12-30-2008, 04:15 PM
The only thing else I could think of that could cause a squeal sound would be the belts?

LonghornSpencer
12-30-2008, 04:25 PM
No cracked intake as it would have shown on the smoke leak test.
Noise seems pretty constant and not vary with engine speed. I will double check for the PCV valve. Running the recommended Mobil 0-40W. Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming as I'm clueless about this and hate to bring it to the dealer
Claude

I have read that under certian circumstances the 0-40W will cause a slight whining noise and if you were to run a slightly higher (15/50 I think) it would go away. Do a search on google for "srt engine whine" I think the LX crowd have the issue more than us

veyronSRT8@TTCreations
12-30-2008, 05:06 PM
call me dumb for throwing this out but could it have something to do with a pulley bearing going bad?

DevssrT
12-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Is it your CAI making that whistle sound??...ive noticed that my jeep does this more often when its colder out...

grocery gtr
12-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Bet It Is The Hoses On Your Catch Can Turn On Your Truck And Squeeze The Hoses Mine Were Cracked On The Inside.........do You Have Steelbraided Lines?

SilveRT8
12-31-2008, 12:05 AM
When I first start the engine cold it does not whine but after a few minutes the high pitch whistle comes on, it's not belts or outside the engine as if I unscrew the oil fill cap it's 4 times louder as if there is a loud whistle inside the valve cover. When I press on the gas it diminishes a bit and comes back when I let go the gas or idle. I also bypassed the catch can and no change.

sarge
12-31-2008, 02:41 AM
When I first start the engine cold it does not whine but after a few minutes the high pitch whistle comes on, it's not belts or outside the engine as if I unscrew the oil fill cap it's 4 times louder as if there is a loud whistle inside the valve cover. When I press on the gas it diminishes a bit and comes back when I let go the gas or idle. I also bypassed the catch can and no change.

Claude
It is the GSM intake spacers they are leaking air just a bit. Remove the intake and sandwhich them with new factory intake gaskets top and bottom..... reinstall and retorque to 12-15 lbs.

When you remove the oil cap you can really hear it......trust me its the spacers.

Steve

grocery gtr
12-31-2008, 07:57 AM
Steve I Would Have Never Thaught About That.........you Prolly Had First Hand Knowledge Right.you In 10`s Yet?

SilveRT8
12-31-2008, 09:30 AM
Claude
It is the GSM intake spacers they are leaking air just a bit. Remove the intake and sandwhich them with new factory intake gaskets top and bottom..... reinstall and retorque to 12-15 lbs.

When you remove the oil cap you can really hear it......trust me its the spacers.

Steve

As usual, Thanks a bunch Steve!
Exactly what my mechanix suggested to check next. I had doubts, but since you also mention it, I doubt no more. My appointment is for Jan 5, I'll keep you posted. The spacers will def go off, GSM has caused enough trouble, minor to some but major to others!
BTW, tell your son to do a 1 hour Karate training tomorrow Jan 1 at 10 AM, it's a worldwide tradition, so we all do it together and start the new year the right way.
Happy New Year to all!!
Claude

aplatero1984
12-31-2008, 10:04 AM
Nice! glad you got that all figured out Claude!:D

veyronSRT8@TTCreations
12-31-2008, 10:10 AM
tho i don't hear a squeal, i am thinkin i might have to check out my spacer situation now...got a oil burning smell upon startup and when coasting after running it hard and then letting off the gas...

DevssrT
12-31-2008, 10:10 AM
Hmm I would of never thought the spacers would create they much noise..good to know.

veyronSRT8@TTCreations
12-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Claude

Steve

Steve, do you have a part number or a link to those gaskets? i think i found them, but want to make sure since they are listed as: "Manifold gasket, grand cherokee, 6.1l 06-07 $8.60 $0.00 $6.97
Fuel system - Fuel induction - Intake - Manifold gasket"

SilveRT8
01-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Claude

Steve

Today I had the intake off and what did I find? Intake gaskets for the spacers had started to separate (see the orange part in the pic) in places farthest from the bolts. This was the cause, probably flapping in the high velocity intake air. I replaced the gaskets as Sarge suggested and all is now fine again, no more squealing. I was hoping it was something as minor as this and nothing wrong with the engine. So, as usual, Thanks again Steve, you saved me a lot of time and aggravation.
Claude

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k306/SilveRT8/Noel08025.jpg

SilveRT8
01-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Steve, do you have a part number or a link to those gaskets? i think i found them, but want to make sure since they are listed as: "Manifold gasket, grand cherokee, 6.1l 06-07 $8.60 $0.00 $6.97
Fuel system - Fuel induction - Intake - Manifold gasket"

As I just replaced mine today the correct part # for the gasket is :
Mopar # 1-05037503AA one per pack, same part left or right.
Claude

sarge
01-07-2009, 08:43 PM
[QUOTE=SilveRT8;329891]Today I had the intake off and what did I find? Intake gaskets for the spacers had started to separate (see the orange part in the pic) in places farthest from the bolts. This was the cause, probably flapping in the high velocity intake air. I replaced the gaskets as Sarge suggested and all is now fine again, no more squealing. I was hoping it was something as minor as this and nothing wrong with the engine. So, as usual, Thanks again Steve, you saved me a lot of time and aggravation.
Claude

I glad it worked out for you Claude!!

This is not the first time. Also, over time they may leak again, but this time from the actual spacer material. It seems that they machined off the actual phenolic face, thus exposing the "cloth". I had a TERRIBLE vacuum leak. After closer examination turned out to be the spacer itself breaking down.

Stand by, if all works right, I have purchased aerospace grade heat resistant phenolic. I have a machinist friend of mine who will have a "first article" for me to review in the next few days. They will be superior to what is available today by LEAPS!

Steve

cyanideg
07-12-2009, 11:34 PM
What does "GSM" mean? Also does anyone have a pic of those spacers or do i even have them now that I put a K&N kit on?