: Cold Air Intakes?

synoil
12-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Having read much info here on CAI's I still am somewhat
confused as to their real life benefits. The theory is very
easy to understand as colder air has more oxygen and thus
more combustion power.

There are several available, Mopar being probably the most
popular as it will in theory not mess with the warranty.
The enclosed box units really would seem to be more
effectual as they resist heat sink and draw more air from
the front of the car than the general engine compartment.

Claims of horsepower gains are a little vague though and
most testimonials are seat of the pants (possible placebo effect)
and pleasing intake noise generation.

Now I'm all for making my new black '07 SRT8 sound better but also
want performance considerations to be included in the decision
making process.

I don't understand how any unit could affect warranty but
dealers/Chrysler is more tuned into avoiding claims than
making the customer happy. This can be said of most
American auto companies in general.

Soooo guys, which unit do you like best for what reasons?
This would probably be my only addition for now other than
a trailer hitch. Maybe a cat back exhaust in a year or so
but that's another question

Thanks,
Craig
'07 Black Jeep SRT8
'04 Acura TL (admirals car now)
'93 Green/Tan Corvette convertible
'01 VW New Beetle GLS 1.8 turbo (18k miles) FOR SALE
'00 Mainship 390 trawler

GotStroke?
12-26-2006, 08:34 PM
In a nutshell, you're going to gain as much power by using a drop in K&N filter as you are with a complete kit. However, since you're looking for some audible improvement as well, you're probably going to want an aftermarket CAI/filter. Don't worry, I don't know of a dealer on the planet that would even consider voiding your warranty for a CAI/filter. Most are tolerant of bolt ons and will only give you hell for going into the longblock, tuning, etc.
I've been using a DUB AIR CAI for the past few mos. and still believe it was a worthwhile mod. I chose it over the Mopar, GSM, and other CAIs because of the large radius bend adjacent to the throttle body. GSM/Mopar appear to be a shorter/sharper turn, which isn't great for airflow. The Dub piece is also marine grade stainless and uses the stock lower airbox (so you can still perform the cut snorkel mod), and features a typical conical/cylindrical cotton gauze/oil filter. You will notice a fairly substantial amount of induction noise when going with most if any metallic CAI vs. the stock rubber piece, as the OEM part is also somewhat of a silencer/resonance eliminator. Post CAI the increase in volume is accompanied by a deeper/reedier tone.
Anyway, there are dozens of posts on here and the blue site referencing CAIs, try searching through some of them.

GotStroke?
12-26-2006, 08:37 PM
As for exhausts your present choices are Kooks longtube headers, B&B tri flo catback, Mopar/Corsa catback. I drop mine off in 3.5 wks for Stainless Works to use it to mock up a full exhaust (longtube to tailpipe) for our Jeep SRT8s. As far as mass produced (non custom) exhausts go, I've yet to see anyone top the quality and performance of SWs.

jlandbl
12-27-2006, 06:38 AM
If I remember correctly, the SRT engineers said in the chat session earlier this month (on the 300c site) that the Mopar/Corsa exhaust + Mopar CAI = 8-10 hp.

I currently have the stock intake, but I met a guy at the SRT Track Experience who had the Airaid CAI that hooked up to the stock intake tube. What I liked about it is it actually utilized the stock snorkel that intakes air through the front grill. The downside is appearance as the stock intake into the engine is still being used. However, Airaid does also sell the kit with a new intake tube. This guy swore by this set-up for functionality and price (I think it's like $179).

jlandbl
12-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Here is a great thread to read....

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736

EJC
12-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Let us know how the SW project turns out. Good Luck.

GotStroke?
12-27-2006, 12:02 PM
If I remember correctly, the SRT engineers said in the chat session earlier this month (on the 300c site) that the Mopar/Corsa exhaust + Mopar CAI = 8-10 hp.

I currently have the stock intake, but I met a guy at the SRT Track Experience who had the Airaid CAI that hooked up to the stock intake tube. What I liked about it is it actually utilized the stock snorkel that intakes air through the front grill. The downside is appearance as the stock intake into the engine is still being used. However, Airaid does also sell the kit with a new intake tube. This guy swore by this set-up for functionality and price (I think it's like $179).

That's a poor or purposely low assumption by the SRT engineers as the Mopar/Corsa catback alone has been dyno tested to a 15-18hp gain at the wheels.

AaronC
12-27-2006, 12:15 PM

You can get the intake tube for the 5.7 from them and it will fit. It rubs on the shroud a bit, but it fits. I would actually prefer that the filter on the AirAid was a bit bigger. It's surface area is similar to stock. Since it is a cone it should flow better then the stock box, but I am thinking about getting a larger filter for it.