Balanced sleeve t-stat [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Balanced sleeve t-stat

AaronC
12-23-2006, 06:39 PM
I have been off the site for a while, and now that I am back I have noticed that quite a few members have been putting balanced sleeve thermostats in their engines. I want to warn you guys about doing this. Balanced sleeve type thermostats are designed for long life, not high performance engines. They have a much lower flow rate then reverse poppet type t-stats(stock type). They work great in diesel engines that work well in high heat configurations. If you compare the reverse poppet style with the balanced sleeve style you will see that the flow area is much larger on the poppet. Just a heads up.

AaronC
12-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Here is a quote regarding this:
http://www.centuryperformance.com/coolingsys.asp
There are two basic types of thermostats currently available: You have the balanced sleeve thermostat, and the reverse poppet thermostat. Both types function in the same manner, but have distinct differences. The reverse poppet thermostat opens against the flow of coolant from the water pump. The coolant, being under water pump pressure, is used to help the reverse poppet thermostat stay closed when it is cool so as to prevent leakage. The reverse poppet thermostat valve* is self-aligning and self-cleaning. The balanced sleeve thermostat allows pressurized coolant to circulate around all of it's moving parts. For a performance engine application it is recommended to use the reverse poppet design for it's added flow capabilities.