Sylvania Silverstar Ultras [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Sylvania Silverstar Ultras

HulkSmash
12-01-2006, 10:42 PM
I just installed these on my 07 GC and I was really blown away by the difference. While they are not in the same league as HID lights, the improvement over stock is dramatic. Sylvania claims a 20% improvement in brightness and range, which seems accurate or close to it. They certainly throw a much whiter, wider and significantly longer beam than the stock lamps. Hopefully Sylvania’s claim of a 30% longer bulb life will turn out to be equally accurate.

SRT8
12-01-2006, 11:27 PM
I have the SSU's & would not say they are that much better than the factory Sylvania's. They are whiter & wider , but not much longer. I'm not saying I don't like them, just that they aren't quite what I expected. They seem to have a very defined cutoff point on the length of the low beam(maybe I need to ajust the bulb alignment). I'm not sure for the $$ that GE NightHawks may be as good(I've never tried NH's). I know that GE HO sealed beams worked well on older cars.

pops
12-01-2006, 11:27 PM
I just installed these on my 07 GC and I was really blown away by the difference. While they are not in the same league as HID lights, the improvement over stock is dramatic. Sylvania claims a 20% improvement in brightness and range, which seems accurate or close to it. They certainly throw a much whiter, wider and significantly longer beam than the stock lamps. Hopefully Sylvania’s claim of a 30% longer bulb life will turn out to be equally accurate. How difficult was it to install these lights, and do you need two sets one each for high and low beam. It has been many years since I have done any work on a car,and do not want to screw it up.

SRT8
12-01-2006, 11:57 PM
How difficult was it to install these lights, and do you need two sets one each for high and low beam. It has been many years since I have done any work on a car,and do not want to screw it up.
You need a set of 9005's & a set of 9006's. They just unplug from wiring, then twist the bulbhousing left, reinstall the new. Do not touch the bulbs. It's much easier than the older seeled beam type.

HulkSmash
12-02-2006, 01:05 AM
You need a set of 9005's & a set of 9006's. They just unplug from wiring, then twist the bulbhousing left, reinstall the new. Do not touch the bulbs. It's much easier than the older seeled beam type.

Exactly right. The whole process took perhaps 5 minutes with no tools required, although you do need to be a bit of a contortionist to reach the low beam bulbs. Again, SRT8 is 100% right, DO NOT TOUCH THE BULBS! The oils in your hands will cause them to die a swift death.

pops
12-02-2006, 12:31 PM
I just installed these on my 07 GC and I was really blown away by the difference. While they are not in the same league as HID lights, the improvement over stock is dramatic. Sylvania claims a 20% improvement in brightness and range, which seems accurate or close to it. They certainly throw a much whiter, wider and significantly longer beam than the stock lamps. Hopefully Sylvania’s claim of a 30% longer bulb life will turn out to be equally accurate. Thanks for the info guys, my last bulb changes were the sealed beams.I thought my eyes were dull, no it is the lights, will give them a shot.

UBDSLO1
12-02-2006, 04:39 PM
How do the Ultras compare to the regular SilverStars?

pjvreede
12-02-2006, 10:03 PM
I have the SSU's & would not say they are that much better than the factory Sylvania's. They are whiter & wider , but not much longer. I'm not saying I don't like them, just that they aren't quite what I expected. They seem to have a very defined cutoff point on the length of the low beam(maybe I need to ajust the bulb alignment). I'm not sure for the $$ that GE NightHawks may be as good(I've never tried NH's). I know that GE HO sealed beams worked well on older cars.

How about 9005's (65 watt high beam bulb) for the low beam, the high beam, and the fogs? Search the forum, with a little "surgery" to the plastic mount, the 9005's work at all three sites, and the 9005 has close to twice the light output of the 9006 bulb. Mine are the GE Nighthawks 9005's all around, and I have no complaints (color temp is more white than stock, but less white than the Silverstars). The combination of the fogs and low beams puts out a carpet of light on the back roads I drive to and from work.

Fastest H-Town Realtor
12-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Not to sure i want hi-beams in the low beam units...kinda blind the oncomers. Also, my fogs are always on when the headlights come on...wouldn't the 65s hurt the housings?

HulkSmash
12-03-2006, 01:51 AM
How about 9005's (65 watt high beam bulb) for the low beam, the high beam, and the fogs? Search the forum, with a little "surgery" to the plastic mount, the 9005's work at all three sites, and the 9005 has close to twice the light output of the 9006 bulb. Mine are the GE Nighthawks 9005's all around, and I have no complaints (color temp is more white than stock, but less white than the Silverstars). The combination of the fogs and low beams puts out a carpet of light on the back roads I drive to and from work.

Why not just drive with your high beams on all the time? Isn't what your proposing virtually the same thing?

pjvreede
12-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Not to sure i want hi-beams in the low beam units...kinda blind the oncomers. Also, my fogs are always on when the headlights come on...wouldn't the 65s hurt the housings?

The low beam housing cuts off the height of the beam, so it's not an issue of throwing "bright" light at oncoming traffic with just the low beams while using the 9005 bulb. The headlight housing determines the distribution of the light put out by the bulb, not the bulb itself. Try it, you'll like it! As for the fogs, no problem so far, and they are used every time the headlights kick on.

pjvreede
12-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Why not just drive with your high beams on all the time? Isn't what your proposing virtually the same thing?

See the above response. If you don't believe me, then take your stock 9005's, "revise" the plastic mount so that they work in the low beam housing, and put your replacement Silverstar (Nighthawk's, or whatever ) 9005's in the high beam housing. See if people flash you with their brights when you're using the low beams (they won't), and notice how much better the light output is with the low beams using the stock 9005's. If you get no complaints from other oncoming drivers, then you're ready to replace your low beams with Silverstar/Nighthawk 9005's well. A no cost experiment done in a two step process instead of one

pjvreede
12-03-2006, 08:37 PM
The low beam housing cuts off the height of the beam, so it's not an issue of throwing "bright" light at oncoming traffic with just the low beams while using the 9005 bulb. The headlight housing determines the distribution of the light put out by the bulb, not the bulb itself. Try it, you'll like it! As for the fogs, no problem so far, and they are used every time the headlights kick on.

Another way of asking the same question. Why would an expensive HID light system be OK as a low beam bulb replacement, and not the "modified" 9005 bulb, when it gets to blinding the oncoming traffic? The bulb doesn't matter, it's the light housing that determines the distribution of the light put out by the bulb. Multiple people on this and other forums agree that the light distribution is very good/accurate with the 2005+ Jeeps, so that increasing the light intensity doesn't equate to increasing the light "scatter"

HulkSmash
12-04-2006, 04:20 AM
Another way of asking the same question. Why would an expensive HID light system be OK as a low beam bulb replacement, and not the "modified" 9005 bulb, when it gets to blinding the oncoming traffic? The bulb doesn't matter, it's the light housing that determines the distribution of the light put out by the bulb. Multiple people on this and other forums agree that the light distribution is very good/accurate with the 2005+ Jeeps, so that increasing the light intensity doesn't equate to increasing the light "scatter"

I understand what you're saying, but in point of fact, there is a lot of debate about the safety of HIDs for other drivers. If you've ever been blinded by pair of blue hued supernovas heading in your direction, then you know what I mean. I want headlights that are brighter than stock, but only up to a point.

pops
12-05-2006, 07:52 PM
I just installed these on my 07 GC and I was really blown away by the difference. While they are not in the same league as HID lights, the improvement over stock is dramatic. Sylvania claims a 20% improvement in brightness and range, which seems accurate or close to it. They certainly throw a much whiter, wider and significantly longer beam than the stock lamps. Hopefully Sylvania’s claim of a 30% longer bulb life will turn out to be equally accurate. Put the silverstars in today, huge diff. thanks for the help.

SRT8
12-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Put the silverstars in today, huge diff. thanks for the help.
Did you get the Ultras? Did you do the high beam in the low beam trick?

pops
12-06-2006, 12:01 AM
Did you get the Ultras? Did you do the high beam in the low beam trick? No tricks, I will leave the tricks up to you young guys, I left those days many years ago, but yes I did put in the ultra o5's and o6's.Even with my eyes I can see a huge improvement.By the way what does 'HID' stand for, I see it all over the place and no idea what it is.

NighT ProWLeR
12-06-2006, 12:05 AM
No tricks, I will leave the tricks up to you young guys, I left those days many years ago, but yes I did put in the ultra o5's and o6's.Even with my eyes I can see a huge improvement.By the way what does 'HID' stand for, I see it all over the place and no idea what it is.

High-intensity discharge (HID) lamps include these types of electrical lamps: mercury vapor, metal halide (also HQI), high-pressure sodium, low-pressure sodium and less common, xenon short-arc lamps.

Compared to fluorescent and incandescent lamps, HID lamps produce a much larger quantity of light in a relatively small package.

pops
12-06-2006, 03:32 PM
High-intensity discharge (HID) lamps include these types of electrical lamps: mercury vapor, metal halide (also HQI), high-pressure sodium, low-pressure sodium and less common, xenon short-arc lamps.

Compared to fluorescent and incandescent lamps, HID lamps produce a much larger quantity of light in a relatively small package.
thanks for the definition, I figured the 'high intensity' but never would have figured the 'discharge' part. I have to give all you guys a lot of credit for keeping up with this stuff, and knowing how to use it. It seems to me that all this was a lot less confusing in the 60's. But driving this truck sure takes me back, I love it. I thought 140 mph in a modified 57 "T Bird" on the Garden State Parkway was it --no more.

HulkSmash
12-07-2006, 01:59 AM
Just don't drive so fast that you miss those great hot dogs at the Galloping Hill Inn in Union!

scottina06
12-07-2006, 07:30 AM
to add to the debate about the 9005's in the 9006 sockets. I have this combination in my Laredo, srt8, 99 3000GT SL and 96 3000GT VR4. The Mitsubishis I have run this set up for years with no problems. I have had the Ultras in Laredo and 3000GT's for 6 months with no problems as well. They are much better than the regular SS's.

pops
12-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Just don't drive so fast that you miss those great hot dogs at the Galloping Hill Inn in Union! We retired to Prescott AZ in 98 and built a home, much better speeds out here, although they do watch em,but won't bother you doing 85 in a 75 zone, my old 04 JGC just did not feel comfy at those speeds, but I'm compy now. I'll watch for the hot dogs.

HulkSmash
12-07-2006, 08:27 PM
We retired to Prescott AZ in 98 and built a home, much better speeds out here, although they do watch em,but won't bother you doing 85 in a 75 zone, my old 04 JGC just did not feel comfy at those speeds, but I'm compy now. I'll watch for the hot dogs.

I hear ya. I moved away from NJ in 98 too (to CA). NJ was just too, well, too NJ.

patagonia
12-12-2006, 03:23 PM
So I finally got my long awaited STR8. First thing I did (in reality...asked dealer to do) was replace all headlights (fogs included) with Sylvania Star (Ultras for high and low beam). Took the car for a ride and it almost when puff...computer shut down the fans...engine light when on...temperature when through the roof.
Dealer tells me the computer doesn't recognize the bulbs. Has anyone had this problem? Does this upgrade require a fuse change?
Thxs in advance for help

GodfatherSRT8
12-12-2006, 04:09 PM
total dealer BS.

teda
12-12-2006, 05:29 PM
So I finally got my long awaited STR8. First thing I did (in reality...asked dealer to do) was replace all headlights (fogs included) with Sylvania Star (Ultras for high and low beam). Took the car for a ride and it almost when puff...computer shut down the fans...engine light when on...temperature when through the roof.
Dealer tells me the computer doesn't recognize the bulbs. Has anyone had this problem? Does this upgrade require a fuse change?
Thxs in advance for help

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have read to date. You need to nicely ask him why a direct replacement bulb would turn on an engine light and increase temperature. I've had them in for over 10 months and 23,000 miles of driving and they function fine. Ask him if he would mind showing you what codes were thrown and what they mean.

SRT8
12-12-2006, 05:34 PM
total dealer BS.
Ditto.
Unless you have the newer SSUltrahottz. :D

HoustonSRT-8
12-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Thxs in advance for help

I'm sorry, but that's just funny.

Beltfed
12-12-2006, 10:28 PM
I hear ya. I moved away from NJ in 98 too (to CA). NJ was just too, well, too NJ.

You moved from one overtaxed, overpopulated, overregulated state to another overtaxed, overpopulated, overregulated state.

Sounds like a lateral move to me. :D

HulkSmash
12-13-2006, 02:27 AM
You moved from one overtaxed, overpopulated, overregulated state to another overtaxed, overpopulated, overregulated state.

Sounds like a lateral move to me. :D

Palm trees, 300 days a year of sunshine, 70˚-80˚ weather year round, zero humidity, zero snow, zero ice, zero toll booths. Yeah you’re right, southern California is exactly the same is NJ.

NighT ProWLeR
12-13-2006, 02:45 AM
Palm trees, 300 days a year of sunshine, 70?-80? weather year round, zero humidity, zero snow, zero ice, zero toll booths. Yeah you’re right, southern California is exactly the same is NJ.

Had to laugh at that ... SOOOOOOOO spoiled living out here. Yippie for California. Worth every cent ...

Beltfed
12-13-2006, 12:55 PM
Palm trees, 300 days a year of sunshine, 70˚-80˚ weather year round, zero humidity, zero snow, zero ice, zero toll booths. Yeah you’re right, southern California is exactly the same is NJ.

Well you are right, the weather patterns are certainly different. You have your own very earthquake center in Southern Kali and there are some nice sights in general..... but it more or less ends there imo.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're in NY, NJ, or CA.....you're still behind enemy lines.:)

Anyhow, back to the exciting world of aftermarket bulbs. For $45k, the Jeep should have come with xenon's standard (at least have made them optional). Heck, the 300C offers them.

HulkSmash
12-14-2006, 12:11 AM
Well you are right, the weather patterns are certainly different. You have your own very earthquake center in Southern Kali and there are some nice sights in general..... but it more or less ends there imo.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're in NY, NJ, or CA.....you're still behind enemy lines.:)

Anyhow, back to the exciting world of aftermarket bulbs. For $45k, the Jeep should have come with xenon's standard (at least have made them optional). Heck, the 300C offers them.

"behind enemy lines"????

I always find it amusing that those of us who live in California love it here and never seem to leave, yet people who don't live here and very often have never even been here seem to deem themselves experts on what a bad place it is.

I find it equally amusing that people oustside California seem far more terrified of California's earthquakes than anyone who lives here. In 10 years I've never noticed even a single tremor. BTW, far more people die in this country each year from hurricanes and snow storms than from earthquakes.

Lastly, a ":)" doesn't negate an insulting comment.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to simply be happy living in your perfect little neck of the world and stop bashing the places where others chooses to live. It makes us cranky.

OurZoo
12-14-2006, 01:31 AM
Patagonia you seriously need to ask your dealer what the hell he is smokin?:D Hulksmash, we're gonna have to meet up one of these days seeing as we're like 20 minutes away from each other. You can check out the bulbs and really see the difference. Do you ever go to Valley Circle exit off the 101 for Euro Sundays?

split2112
12-14-2006, 02:31 PM
I grew up off the Valley circle 101 exit

Mango
12-19-2006, 05:49 AM
I tried to install Silverstar Ultras, but noticed that the plastic housing/adapter no the bulb does not have the bumps that the regular silverstars do. It would not fit into my headlight housing. Which Ultras are you guys using for Low beams? Did you have to modify the bulb to fit?

Razorecko
12-19-2006, 10:45 AM
I tried to install Silverstar Ultras, but noticed that the plastic housing/adapter no the bulb does not have the bumps that the regular silverstars do. It would not fit into my headlight housing. Which Ultras are you guys using for Low beams? Did you have to modify the bulb to fit?

I put in the 9005s' in the low and fogs, and they work great, the 9005 lows' give me a straight beam. They do need to be modified - i modified the middle tab on the base and also drilling out both of the bumps inside the connector with a dremel set. It takes 5 minutes tops to do both.

larryc7777
12-19-2006, 02:12 PM
The direct replacement for the low beam is the 9006SU. I put them in yesterday & it was a 5 minute, no modification install. The 9005SU will fit the high beams.

jayeepee
12-19-2006, 02:47 PM
The direct replacement for the low beam is the 9006SU. I put them in yesterday & it was a 5 minute, no modification install. The 9005SU will fit the high beams.

I also have the direct fit 9006 and 9005 bulbs, they fit perfectly and are definitely brighter. Unfortunately with this JGC SRT8 it is still too easy to outdrive your headlights, especially with all of the idiot deer in NJ :eek:

propedderkustoms
05-02-2007, 12:55 AM
What about the fogs? How do you change those?

SRedrockT8
05-02-2007, 07:22 AM
What about the fogs? How do you change those?

according to sylvania's website the replacement number for the fogs is 9145ST.

i put those in and they were the easiest to replace. just lay down on your back, look up behind the bumper, twist & remove the bulb & unplug the connector. then reverse to install.

kramsay1234
05-02-2007, 10:33 AM
I have SSU 9005's in my fogs. Maybe a little wiggling, but they go in there easily. Higher wattage so better light output as recommended on this site. I am happy with them.

SkyeHighSRT8
03-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Where is the best place you purchace the SSUs?

MNBob
03-20-2008, 09:49 PM
I have the Silverstars all around, but now they are saying that HIR's are better. Please see this thread:

HIR Headlights (http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12490)

PaulW is going to test them and report back. Here is some other info from one of the vendors:

HIR FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (http://www.finemotoring.com/FAQs.htm)