Magnaflow exhaust better than stock? [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Magnaflow exhaust better than stock?

FastJeepSRT8
11-08-2006, 02:04 AM
A good freind of mine owns a chain of exhaust shops. He's completely sold on this exhaust and insists that it will out perform the factory exhaust from SRT. Claims existing system is baffled and the Magnaflow is not. I must say that even at idol the exhaust from my SRT8 sounds weak compared to my '98 5.9 limited stock exhaust. I would like a better sound but I'm more intersted in the performance gains. Is it reasonable that the Magnaflow would give better Hp gains over the stock "baffled system"? It's about $1,800 for the Magnaflow Cat-back.

teda
11-08-2006, 05:17 AM
A good freind of mine owns a chain of exhaust shops. He's completely sold on this exhaust and insists that it will out perform the factory exhaust from SRT. Claims existing system is baffled and the Magnaflow is not. I must say that even at idol the exhaust from my SRT8 sounds weak compared to my '98 5.9 limited stock exhaust. I would like a better sound but I'm more intersted in the performance gains. Is it reasonable that the Magnaflow would give better Hp gains over the stock "baffled system"? It's about $1,800 for the Magnaflow Cat-back.

I'm not going to get into debate about performance, loudness, drone etc., but lots of feedback here and on the blue site about gains, losses, dragstrip runs etc with both stock, and many other exhausts. Search.

BUT...don't know where you got that price. Magnaflow themselves lists MSRP at $1128. Lots of better pricing available than even that from several vendors, and several for sale used.

gculver
11-08-2006, 08:29 AM
I have a complete magnaflow system # 16709 possibly for sale. Used less than 200 miles. I have decided to do my own custom exhaust. The system is off and in original box. PM me if interested. Will hit E-BAY soon.

Black_SRT8
11-08-2006, 09:25 AM
$1800 for the Magnaflow cat-back? That guy is not your friend.

ge2
11-08-2006, 10:16 AM
I have the magnaflow c/b and absolutely love it. I have no idea about real gains or not, but I do know at $1800, you could almost have two, if you shopped around.

mabosc223
11-08-2006, 10:46 AM

Sorry buddy but there is no way in hell that your 98' 5.9L with Stock Exhaust sounded better then the Stock Exhaust System on the Jeep SRT8. There's just no way. I've never heard a stock Exhaust sound this good. JMTC. ;)

jayeepee
11-08-2006, 12:48 PM
I have to admit at idle or coasting my 98 5.9 Limited sounded better than my JGC SRT8 at idle or coasting, but when you step on it the stock SRT8 exhaust kicks the 5.9 limited's a** :D

FastJeepSRT8
11-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Sorry buddy but there is no way in hell that your 98' 5.9L with Stock Exhaust sounded better then the Stock Exhaust System on the Jeep SRT8. There's just no way. I've never heard a stock Exhaust sound this good. JMTC. ;)

I've owned both vehicles and my '98 had a much deeper rumble than my new SRT8 outside of the vehicle. I always turned heads when I started that thing up. I will admit that while driving the SRT WOT or not it sounds much better than the 5.9, it reminds me alot of the old HEMI's. I just feel it lacks the deep rumble at start up I had with my 5.9. BTW that 5.9L ZJ came stock with a Gibson exhaust and it really does sound great. Thanks for the feedback on the price. That was my bad, I checked with him and I missquoted his price. He's still a bit over the $1100 mark so I'm going to shop around a bit. He agreed I should shop around. Again I'm more concerened with performance than sound. Don't really want to spend even $1100 for something that sounds better but does little for performance. My '98 ZJ sounded great but couldn't touch my SRT8.

mabosc223
11-08-2006, 02:08 PM
I've owned both vehicles and my '98 had a much deeper rumble than my new SRT8 outside of the vehicle. I always turned heads when I started that thing up. I will admit that while driving the SRT WOT or not it sounds much better than the 5.9, it reminds me alot of the old HEMI's. I just feel it lacks the deep rumble at start up I had with my 5.9. BTW that 5.9L ZJ came stock with a Gibson exhaust and it really does sound great. Thanks for the feedback on the price. That was my bad, I checked with him and I missquoted his price. He's still a bit over the $1100 mark so I'm going to shop around a bit. He agreed I should shop around. Again I'm more concerened with performance than sound. Don't really want to spend even $1100 for something that sounds better but does little for performance. My '98 ZJ sounded great but couldn't touch my SRT8.

Is that a special model for that year. I did not know it came with a Gibson Exhaust. I was gonna say, you know how the stock mufflers sound on all cars. There is no sound. And if I were you I'd look at a Corsa Exhaust. It's well worth the money and the sound is tuned so perfectly. :). JMTC.

Black_SRT8
11-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Here are some thoughts from other forum members, as far as exhausts are concerned...

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=6

FastJeepSRT8
11-08-2006, 06:47 PM
The '98 5.9 Limited ZJ was very unique for it's time and was the "bad Ass" SUV of the day. It only had 250 Hp but it had loads of torque. It ran to 60 in 6.5 to 6.7 Sec and the quarter in the mid to upper 14's stock. With a few minor mods I was able to turn out low 6 sec 0-60 times. I didn't learn about the exhaust on my ZJ until several years after I bought it. I ran into somebody who had some experience servicing the 5.9Limited and he's the who informed me about the Gibson exhaust. All DC ever claimed was that it sported a performance exhaust reducing back preasure more than25% and it did sound really good for what it was. The SRT8 however is in a class all it's own which is why I had no problem getting rid of my ZJ.

About the Mopar/Corsa Exhaust. If it's Mopar how is it different from what I already have?

Black_SRT8
11-08-2006, 06:50 PM
. If it's Mopar how is it different from what I already have?

http://www.corsaperf.com/grand_cherokee.htm

FastJeepSRT8
11-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Great link, thanks! Question though. I've been hearing alot about drone. What is it?

GodfatherSRT8
11-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Drone is this wierd noise that I get with my zoomers exhaust when I hit about 85 or higher. From what I know the Mopar, Magnaflow, and BB are droneless.

srt8suv
11-12-2006, 03:01 PM
I have magna flow, and I love it! its just right!:)

FastJeepSRT8
11-14-2006, 08:02 PM
I have magna flow, and I love it! its just right!:)

Thanks for the feedback. How does it sound compared to the stock exhaust? Was there any "Notable" increase in performance?

SRT12
11-15-2006, 04:53 AM
hi all ,no defrant in sound betwen corsa and magna flow :) . my question is corsa made manifold ? what different get if i chanq manifold ?

goldsgym
11-15-2006, 06:28 AM
http://estore.websitepros.com/802805/Detail.bok?no=888

$872
Flex

jbracefan1977
03-01-2009, 05:18 AM
I have the magnaflow too and love it, they are cheaper on ebay but I wanted a warranty (the salt on the roads here in winter kills an exhaust) so I got it here magnaflow 16709 (http://magnaflowplanet.com/product.php?productid=6208), or you can try one of the vendors here (http://www.magnaflowplanet.com/), they are always running sales/specials. either way its a great system and very easy to install.