GSM 2wd Mode [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: GSM 2wd Mode

GSM
10-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Hi Everyone we added this to the web site for anyone that feels the need to have a 2wd SRT-8 Jeep Grand Cherokee

this mod allows you to switch between 2wd and 4wd , we did take this to the drag strip and we have a killer video we will post of the GS Jeep doing a nice smoker...just the rear's

Here is the link on our web page,

http://www.gsmotorsports.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=JP2WD&Category_Code=HMIENGELEC

Scott

Str8Srt8
10-22-2006, 06:02 PM
Thanks for info!

I was curious how the rear end only handles all that torque? Does the abs function help out the side that is slipping more?

Srt8jkt
10-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Scott,
Could you turn this on after comming out of the hole? Keeping all the traction off the line, then hitting the button going into second.

TRAINER
10-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Any way you can split the power 50/50? I'm looking for something like that.

SRT8
10-22-2006, 10:25 PM
Is this mod completely safe on the drivetrain? Is extended use of 2wd acceptable?

idealrides
10-22-2006, 10:49 PM
not bad, only 2 weeks since I posted how to do this. pretty quick R&D period, sounds like your supercharger kit :)

I KID I KID!!!

It's really cool you have a company... the only company... innovative and progressive enough to take care of us speed-greedy SRT8 owners. Honestly I'm proud of you guys, keep up the good work.
________
Iolite (http://vaporizer.org/portable)

GSM
10-23-2006, 10:52 AM
We have had this done for quite a while, I personally wanted to get some time on it on our jeep.

We have not had any ill effects, I would not recommend drag racing in 2wd

we did get about 1-1.5 better mpg in 2wd mode

Scott

Jeff
10-23-2006, 12:26 PM
whats in the kit?

rainmaker
10-23-2006, 02:08 PM
We have had this done for quite a while, I personally wanted to get some time on it on our jeep.

We have not had any ill effects, I would not recommend drag racing in 2wd

we did get about 1-1.5 better mpg in 2wd mode

Scott

Scott,

why no 2wd during a drag race? Could one do a burn out in 2wd to warm up the tires, then launch in 4WD, and then switch to 2WD during the race?

Just curious.

NighT ProWLeR
10-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Please excuse my inexperience, but what are the benefits of this mod? TIA

Hotscott7
10-23-2006, 09:30 PM
Please excuse my inexperience, but what are the benefits of this mod? TIA

TO DO BURNOUTS......SMOKE EM ALL NIGHT AND SHOW THE LADIES YOUR A REAL MAN!!

GINTER
10-28-2006, 05:36 AM
And save on gas (if you don't do burnouts). 1-2 MPG.

FastMatt
10-28-2006, 02:22 PM
Allot easier to find a Dyno to Dyno your car on

QBNKID
10-29-2006, 12:30 AM
Does this mod also works for the 5.7L GC?

LMP
10-29-2006, 11:15 PM
wow, the ability to spin a single rear tire til the threads show! how can i get one? should sell like hotcakes!

Fastest H-Town Realtor
10-30-2006, 10:19 AM
I still see no benefit to this "mod" and a whole laundry list of probable issues. I bought this truck for its AWD...and knew of the 12MPG.

There is no way in hell I would ever switch to AWD while the vehicle was moving. Sounds like a recipe for parts breakage and a reason for JEEP to null the driveline warranty.

Black_SRT8
10-30-2006, 11:11 AM
I still see no benefit to this "mod" and a whole laundry list of probable issues. I bought this truck for its AWD...and knew of the 12MPG.

There is no way in hell I would ever switch to AWD while the vehicle was moving. Sounds like a recipe for parts breakage and a reason for JEEP to null the driveline warranty.

I absolutely concur.

mabosc223
10-30-2006, 12:55 PM

Ya know, there has always got to be one of you guys who has always got to bash a product. If you don't like it or don't want it, then don't buy it pal. I think it's great that GS Motorsports is coming up with a bunch of unique mods for us guys. I knew this mod was in the works and have been waiting for it to come out. It will help me when I get my S/C installed, due too my tuner only having a RWD Dyno. So this "Mod" will indeed help a bunch of us guys out. And I can't wait to light em' up either :)... JMHO.

HEMEEE
10-30-2006, 02:34 PM
But remember, these members were posting their 'humble opinions' as well! ;)

Open minds and open discussions lead to new ideas and better understanding - it's what a forum like this is all about.
The key is to disagree without being disagreeable...
Let's keep it friendly everyone! :)

Black_SRT8
10-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Ya know, there has always got to be one of you guys who has always got to bash a product. If you don't like it or don't want it, then don't buy it pal. I think it's great that GS Motorsports is coming up with a bunch of unique mods for us guys. I knew this mod was in the works and have been waiting for it to come out. It will help me when I get my S/C installed, due too my tuner only having a RWD Dyno. So this "Mod" will indeed help a bunch of us guys out. And I can't wait to light em' up either :)... JMHO.

I think the "one in every bunch" is you. ;)

jordo9998
10-30-2006, 07:28 PM
mabosc223,

I think you should take a chill pill. Don't get all upset just because someone is looking out for your benefit.

BlackSRT8 and the other guy (who's name is too long, I don't feel like typing it...)are only posting that for those of us who might be buying this for the wrong reason. If you want to dyno your car then I guess you already know what your going to do with it as you have a logical excuse.

I have to say I agree with BlackSRT8 and the other guy (who's name is too long, I don't feel like typing it...) As for the people who are buying this just to toy with their jeeps D-T and do burnouts... I mean hey, if you have the money to blow and wanna mess up your car and then get it fixed again, go ahead, But I will say once you break your car severely in any sense, it will never drive the same again...

But telling someone to stop posting their opinions is like telling everyone in this forum to stop talking or sharing. I must say, if this happened then I wouldn't have the answers or the mod's that I currently have done to my jeep.

So share on everyone and stop the attacks. :)

idealrides
10-30-2006, 09:29 PM
on that note, just wanted to share my experiences a little bit here.

Although I've only switched in or out of 2wd mode while the ignition was off, I've done it quite a few times, and while it was in 2wd mode you might say I wasn't "babying" the car... and I haven't had any problems yet.

Now I have no reservation of publicly announcing this either, as I have officially voided my ENTIRE warranty by exporting the Jeep, so I have nothing to hide. If something breaks, I'm paying for it, and thats a risk I'm willing to take. Why? Because I find that these things... 2wd mode, disabling ESP, etc... are ways that can make the car more fun to drive and own. Yeah maybe it's unsafe, but not as unsafe as driving 175mph. But that doesn't stop me and it shouldn't stop you, if it makes you happy.
I know 50 year olds who act 20, and 20 year olds who act 50. Life is short. Whatever you feel comfortable with, whatever makes you happy.

Anyway thats my 0.02. I'm not wearing my flamesuit so be gentle.
________
Colorado Dispensaries (http://colorado.dispensaries.org/)

Fastest H-Town Realtor
10-30-2006, 10:22 PM
No reason to flame-your idea is thought out and told well. Not everyone will do every mod. But my take is that this mod is a possible, and I think probable invitation for major issues.

One item I didn't even consider is the "WRX" type issues. JEEP folks cruising the boards for such mods that can allow them to nix driveline warranty work.

As for the comment of my post being "negative", jut because someone disagrees with you does not make them wrong. It makes them see things differently. Unless your insecure, you should'nt have a problem with anothers ideas.

The manufacturer makes the mod and their responsibility is to the profit margins. I do not expect them to be concerned with my best interests. Hence my interest in open dialog like this forum. It invites a non-partisan debate on these type items.

Rick SRT 8
11-11-2006, 02:17 PM

Although I've only switched in or out of 2wd mode while the ignition was off, I've done it quite a few times, and while it was in 2wd mode you might say I wasn't "babying" the car... and I haven't had any problems yet.

Now I have no reservation of publicly announcing this either, as I have officially voided my ENTIRE warranty by exporting the Jeep, so I have nothing to hide. If something breaks, I'm paying for it, and thats a risk I'm willing to take. Why? Because I find that these things... 2wd mode, disabling ESP, etc... are ways that can make the car more fun to drive and own. Yeah maybe it's unsafe, but not as unsafe as driving 175mph. But that doesn't stop me and it shouldn't stop you, if it makes you happy.
I know 50 year olds who act 20, and 20 year olds who act 50. Life is short. Whatever you feel comfortable with, whatever makes you happy.

Anyone else want to share their experiences?.

millers_srt
11-11-2006, 02:36 PM
I'm still waiting for my SRT to arrive at the dealer, but I do have a few questions about this mod. How does this mod install? Is it easy to do? Is anyone having any issues?

Srt8jkt
11-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Mine mod is still on b/o as they told me 3 weeks ago and earlier this week. Not a problem if GS would just communicate this.

ronald mcglothlin
11-11-2006, 11:04 PM
As I see it I will wait and see if anyone breaks something because of this, if not I believe it could be a very good thing. Better mileage a burnout if only I time. the tires cost to much to just leave on the road. We did not buy the thing not to have fun with it. This would just bring up the fun level. Don't want to be stupid but why really does anyone really need something like what any performance vehicle is other than the fun factor.

NighT ProWLeR
11-12-2006, 01:53 AM
As I see it I will wait and see if anyone breaks something because of this, if not I believe it could be a very good thing. Better mileage a burnout if only I time. the tires cost to much to just leave on the road. We did not buy the thing not to have fun with it. This would just bring up the fun level. Don't want to be stupid but why really does anyone really need something like what any performance vehicle is other than the fun factor.

I read it three times, and I still have no idea what you just said ...

boomer
11-12-2006, 02:10 AM

wise words from a wise man

tainui
11-12-2006, 08:13 AM

So do you agree that you could go to Radio Shack and pick up $10 worth of electronics, switches, and wiring and do this yourself? The other $100 (after shipping) can go to tires of gas.

ronald mcglothlin
11-12-2006, 08:56 AM
I read it three times, and I still have no idea what you just said ...
I agree I did not make my point. the ability to go in or out of all wheel drive is a good idea as long as it doe's not destroy something.

srt8suv
11-12-2006, 03:11 PM
again, this mod is for fun, for who those who are looking to do burn outs. No one knows if its going to hurt the vehicle, but I guess it will do some !!

idealrides
11-12-2006, 10:19 PM
So do you agree that you could go to Radio Shack and pick up $10 worth of electronics, switches, and wiring and do this yourself? The other $100 (after shipping) can go to tires of gas.

for both 2wd and the ESP mod, i concur, but I don't recommend buying tires full of gas, much better to just pump it into your tank.
________
AsiansXX (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/AsiansXX/)

ronald mcglothlin
11-12-2006, 11:26 PM
To do this just to be able to smoke the tires does not seem to be a good reason . If that was the objective I for one would have gotten any one of the cars. That does not mean I would not make the tires howl I know I would. I think it is more fun just to slam the gas to the floor and not get all the looks that could get you involved with the police. Having said this I will let someone else see if this tears something up. Have fun let me know. Better mileage would be a real benefit though and over time pay for the mod. Hope this makes better since than my last post

tainui
11-13-2006, 01:36 PM
I don't buy the 2wd increases mpg hype either. So by not engaging the 4wd you overcome the drag of pushing the geared front end? I bet removing the front half shafts would help your mpg (not that I'm going to try)...

tainui
11-13-2006, 01:37 PM
for both 2wd and the ESP mod, i concur, but I don't recommend buying tires full of gas, much better to just pump it into your tank.

Nice - tires...or gas...lol.

ronald mcglothlin
11-13-2006, 10:06 PM
If the only thing that is done by the 2wd is to let you spin a tire, then I myself think it is frankly not the point . I would like to have a limited slip in my PT cruiser so to have better traction and to have the extra power I have given it to go faster not to simply wear the tires out. I bought the Jeep so the tires would not spin. If it can be proven to increase mpg mabey there is a point but if not I really stand by my earlier statement why not buy one of the cars insted. I gess I talked myself into this and then out of it. More fun to just go around everthing else and not draw any attention to myself in the proscess.

MatFab
11-13-2006, 10:39 PM
If the only thing that is done by the 2wd is to let you spin a tire, then I myself think it is frankly not the point . I would like to have a limited slip in my PT cruiser so to have better traction and to have the extra power I have given it to go faster not to simply wear the tires out. I bought the Jeep so the tires would not spin. If it can be proven to increase mpg mabey there is a point but if not I really stand by my earlier statement why not buy one of the cars insted. I gess I talked myself into this and then out of it. More fun to just go around everthing else and not draw any attention to myself in the proscess.

considering it is just a switch so you can turn it off and on seems good to me.. its not like ur giving up the fuctionality of the awd..

bobholthaus
12-16-2006, 09:23 AM
Gentlemen- can you please stop babbling about nothing and answer the real questions about this mod... what come in the box, how easy is it to install, what is it actually doing, will you only smoke one tire because of no LSD, does the ABS intervene to allow power distribution between the rear wheels, would this void the driveline warranty? Thanks.

srt8jeep
12-22-2006, 05:58 PM
when will they put that video of the 2wd srt jeep !!!!

SilverSRT8
12-22-2006, 09:03 PM
NEVER!!! I have yet to hear anybody that installed this mod yet! I am done doing serious mods until somebody comes out with some reliable parts. I wish I had never installed my fan/tc mod. It works fine, I just worry about it doing some crazy shi* while i'm on a pass or long trip.

UAE
12-23-2006, 01:02 AM
NEVER!!! I have yet to hear anybody that installed this mod yet! I am done doing serious mods until somebody comes out with some reliable parts. I wish I had never installed my fan/tc mod. It works fine, I just worry about it doing some crazy shi* while i'm on a pass or long trip.
Do you feel better acceleration after this mod?

SilverSRT8
12-23-2006, 08:16 AM
I think it launches a lot harder but in all reality it is not worth it unless you will run it at the track or race a lot. I haven't turned mine on in 2 months. Plus the last thing I need is a ticket for exhibition of power. I am just worried that something could go out at the wrong time.

Mrdredd
12-24-2006, 02:49 AM
God you guys whine a lot ... all these mods are not major at all ... you have just as good a chance of something going out stock then you do by doing a simple fan or drivetrain mod.

You arn't installing turbo's and pushing boost to the ultimate limit and throwing in huge injectors and having to worry about blowing your heads or making your entire system overheat.

Chill out ...

SRTJeep
12-25-2006, 05:01 PM
God you guys whine a lot ... all these mods are not major at all ... you have just as good a chance of something going out stock then you do by doing a simple fan or drivetrain mod.

You arn't installing turbo's and pushing boost to the ultimate limit and throwing in huge injectors and having to worry about blowing your heads or making your entire system overheat.

Chill out ... This mod was discussed with the SRT Engs at the SRT Nats. I won't use it because of eliminating the Anti-Lock Feature, the fan mod can be done for about $20. I bought all the parts for that price. (installation is easy) Will I chill out? NO! Yes it is more race orientated product but most running this has had drive line failures. Gene

Black_SRT8
12-25-2006, 07:12 PM

Chill out ...

Only expensive mods are potentially detrimental? I disagree. I have seen inferior thermostats overheat engines beyond repair, and I have heard of chips / programmers causing lethal detonation.

So, on the contrary, simple mods can be disadvantageous, too.

idealrides
12-26-2006, 10:34 AM
This mod was discussed with the SRT Engs at the SRT Nats. I won't use it because of eliminating the Anti-Lock Feature, the fan mod can be done for about $20. I bought all the parts for that price. (installation is easy) Will I chill out? NO! Yes it is more race orientated product but most running this has had drive line failures. Gene

Gene, if most of the dozens of people with the ESP mod have had driveline failure, could you point me to at least one or two references? I don't mean to call you out but what you're claiming is odd news to me so I just want to clear this up. Thanks.
________
Loraine (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/Loraine/)

pjvreede
12-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Gene, if most of the dozens of people with the ESP mod have had driveline failure, could you point me to at least one or two references? I don't mean to call you out but what you're claiming is odd news to me so I just want to clear this up. Thanks.

I agree: Gene, give us the proof that this mod causes driveline failure. The transfer case is an electronically activated clutch system, and de-activating it only forces all the torque to the rear wheels. The SRT engineers have made it clear that the entire driveline for the Jeep is very "stout", thus likely being able to absorb all the torque to two wheels instead of four. The SRT manual also talks about disconnecting the transfer case electronically by unplugging it to use it for 2wd dyno situations. Would anyone from the Damiler-Chrysler corp. recommend disconnecting the transfer case for dyno testing if it represented a potential hazard to the drivetrain; or even worse, a potential warranty issue for the corp?

MatFab
12-27-2006, 08:34 PM
did the mod tonight... whole different beast in 2wd.. a must have

pjvreede
12-27-2006, 08:52 PM
did the mod tonight... whole different beast in 2wd.. a must have

Deactivate the the 4wd (with the GSM 2wd mod) and the traction control button on the center console, and you have the most basic of 2wd rear-drive vehicles; which is a hell of a lot of fun to drive in good traction conditions. With bad driving conditions, simply switch over to 4wd (Jeep should have made this a selectable option from the begining from the factory). Not yet convinced that it improves your mpg much staying exclusively in 2wd (GSM claim of 1-1.5mpg), but time will tell. No regrets from my standpoint.

MatFab
12-28-2006, 12:28 AM
Deactivate the the 4wd (with the GSM 2wd mod) and the traction control button on the center console, and you have the most basic of 2wd rear-drive vehicles; which is a hell of a lot of fun to drive in good traction conditions. With bad driving conditions, simply switch over to 4wd (Jeep should have made this a selectable option from the begining from the factory). Not yet convinced that it improves your mpg much staying exclusively in 2wd (GSM claim of 1-1.5mpg), but time will tell. No regrets from my standpoint.
who cares about the mpg... i bet the new set of tires every 1000miles will factor in.. so much fun though

9900rpm
01-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Kinda off topic, but the GC SRT8 doesn't have LSD in the rear? There were multiple mentions in this thread about the Jeep spinning 1 rear wheel.

atimatik
01-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Since my GC SRT-8 is my daily driver and my only ride, I'm interested in this mod for the sole purpose of improved gas mileage on road trips. I love my Jeep, but it hurts the pocketbook when it comes to road trips (kind of a bummer). Can anyone confirm that this mod actually improves MPG?

Vinnysrt8
01-28-2008, 04:43 PM
doing this mod is the rear end a posi

BuilderBill
01-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Kinda off topic, but the GC SRT8 doesn't have LSD in the rear? There were multiple mentions in this thread about the Jeep spinning 1 rear wheel.
NO POSI!!!!!!!!!
That's why alot of us have gone with the 9" Ford.
Bill

atimatik
01-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Has anyone else have any more experience with the 2WD mod?

tomsws6
07-09-2008, 10:45 AM
bringing it back from the dead!!!! its been a few yrs and was wondering what the out come was of this mod?

SRT-MANA
07-09-2008, 01:45 PM
bringing it back from the dead!!!! its been a few yrs and was wondering what the out come was of this mod?

well I know you can do it for like $3.75 & about 15 minutes of your time...thanks to chris..

navyavi469
07-09-2008, 05:44 PM
I've always thought of the GSM 2WD switch as the "transfer case auto-destruct" button.

BuilderBill
07-09-2008, 05:54 PM
I've always thought of the GSM 2WD switch as the "transfer case auto-destruct" button.
Winston,
I did not put the "auto destruct" switch on my rig.http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif
:eek:
Also, I would not like to stop and restart the engine on the starting line after a burnout to reset the computer.
Bill

BTW.....why does the text come with the smilies?????

divette
07-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Whether probably to apply rear axle from 5.7 and as then it to block?

garyholl
07-09-2008, 09:43 PM
I would also like to know what it actually does or how it works. I would also like to know how it installs.
Man I would love to have a two wheel drive mode as long as it is posi-track.

Mike_Levy
07-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Anybody have the directions to do this for the $3.75 or whatever it is? I wanna have a CMR dyno tune done on a 2WD dyno.

Toothmonger
07-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Anybody have the directions to do this for the $3.75 or whatever it is? I wanna have a CMR dyno tune done on a 2WD dyno.

Pretty sure the only safe way to dyno on 2wd is to drop the front driveshaft. I think the gsm 2wd switch is only good for 1-2 gear safely.

My Dream
07-13-2008, 09:35 PM
I also would like to know how to do this and weather or not it will work in all gears. I would like to know for dyno tuning purpouses.

James

peter2772000
04-01-2013, 09:28 AM
What a shame that this thread died out without and confirmation for or against the mod.

I've always hated awd because I wanted the ability to choose for myself if I wanted all wheels powered. But as I age, I find myself throwing my FJ Cruiser into 4H whenever the highway is wet. I guess I've had enuf drama in my 37+ yrs of driving.

So I can live with fulltime awd, but it'd sure be cool to have the option... ;)

SRT8Girl12
04-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Wow, reviving a GSM thread? What a joke. This option worked if you wanted to fry your transfer case. Good April Fools joke man....:rolleyes:

junior666
04-01-2013, 11:20 AM
All the did was put a toggle switch on the green and yellow wire in the tcase harness.
I fried my t-case using it 100 years ago it seems.:rolleyes:

jumpback
04-01-2013, 12:38 PM
It was weird reading Scotts comments, is he still alive:ninja: