Ideas on lightening the Jeep [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Ideas on lightening the Jeep

Str8Srt8
10-12-2006, 02:39 AM
I didn't find anything on the subject here, so I thought I'd start some ideas on making the Jeep lighter in weight. Does anybody have an itemization of the Jeep parts and what they weigh?

omegaman
10-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Start with the roof and doors. They're metal and don't really add anything to the overall look. Then swap out the engine for a 4 cylinder from a Honda. Surely thats gotta save a few pounds. :D

jlandbl
10-12-2006, 02:04 PM
I removed my antenna, floor mats, ac controls, emblems, air valve caps and owners manual. I also never run above a 1/4 tank of gas and don't put any CD's in the radio.

shodanusmc
10-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Leave the truck unlocked in a bad part of town....best results will occur from 2200-0600. It will be much lighter when you come back for it. Good luck

omegaman
10-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Strip it down to the frame and wheels and coast down some long hills.

TXBLU
10-12-2006, 03:20 PM
I drained the blinker fluid from the rear lights and the front turn signals. Not only did I save weight, I reduced my polar moment of inertia! Now it's a G-Machine!!!!!

omegaman
10-12-2006, 03:37 PM
I drained the blinker fluid from the rear lights and the front turn signals. Not only did I save weight, I reduced my polar moment of inertia! Now it's a G-Machine!!!!!

Blinker fluid? Does that need changed on a regular interval? Is there a fully synthetic fluid available (only the best for my baby)? The owner's manual doesn't say anything about it and I just called my dealer and he was clueless. That's why I stick with Pepboys for service. Those guys know EVERYTHING.

jlandbl
10-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Blinker fluid? Does that need changed on a regular interval? Is there a fully synthetic fluid available (only the best for my baby)? The owner's manual doesn't say anything about it and I just called my dealer and he was clueless. That's why I stick with Pepboys for service. Those guys know EVERYTHING.

I bumped the blinker and headlight fluid up to 10w-50 fully synthetic 4X4 quadruple syn 15K mile formula. World of difference. I still change it every 3K though. I also put a K&N filter on my moonroof. Now nothing but clean air flows in.

omegaman
10-12-2006, 04:00 PM
I bumped the blinker and headlight fluid up to 10w-50 fully synthetic 4X4 quadruple syn 15K mile formula. World of difference. I still change it every 3K though. I also put a K&N filter on my moonroof. Now nothing but clean air flows in.

Wow. I never knew all this. I'm flabbergasted. Headlight fluid? Where did you buy the moonroof filter? Is that a MOPAR part?

Black_SRT8
10-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Funny comments :)

Take out the seats.

kwoody87
10-12-2006, 05:48 PM
actually ever hear of filling nitrogen in the tires besides regular air? ive never tried it but i've done some experiments with helium and it makes the car a little to light, probably something youre not looking into but if youre gunna try it please let us know how it goes. thanks

SRT8
10-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Take out all the interior. Take off all the trim/cosmetic pieces. Take the a/c system off. Then go on a week long Exlax diet. :D

Str8Srt8
10-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Take out all the interior. Take off all the trim/cosmetic pieces. Take the a/c system off. Then go on a week long Exlax diet. :D

Hey, that was only funny once in the same thread.

I'll take the friggin engine out of mine, and I'll coast race somebody down a hill! That will show you how much faster a lighter Jeep will go!! :p

omegaman
10-13-2006, 07:56 AM
Hey, that was only funny once in the same thread.

I'll take the friggin engine out of mine, and I'll coast race somebody down a hill! That will show you how much faster a lighter Jeep will go!! :p

Hey! That was MY idea. Give credit where its due! :)

Fastest H-Town Realtor
10-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Step away from the buffet? :D

MatFab
10-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Step away from the buffet? :D

i love watching those boobies...

GINTER
10-13-2006, 12:21 PM
I took my wheels and brakes off, along with the exhaust. Also, all of the seats. Saved a ton.

lincoln
10-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Most people serious about putting their vehicle on a diet are not using them as street cars. As others mentioned the interior is stripped and light racing seat(s) are installed...no carpet, no pad, no door/interior panels, no sunroof cartridge (these tend to be heavy, 60-100lbs depending on vehicle), weld in metal/aluminum to fill hole, replace necessary windows with lexan and remove motors/door inards. Remove accesories (HVAC system, etc), all cosmetic trim, etc...I'll bet you could shave over 1000lbs off this thing pretty quickly.

srt8suv
10-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Some fiber glass material shall make a real difference. at the end removing so many nice things from the car, will take out the nice thing about havin it.

jaybruce
10-14-2006, 10:24 AM
These guys knocked off 400lbs with some carbon fiber and lexan replacements.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8928501336018129994&q=srt8&hl=en

Str8Srt8
10-21-2006, 11:35 PM
Obviously, there doesn't seem to be much interest at this time on this subject as it appears we are mostly quintessential drivers of this Jeep SRT8 and only want more horsepower to make the numbers happen. But, hey getting below 4k lbs. is nothing to laugh at. I'm sure for kicks, if somebody took all of the doors off included the rear hatch, the numbers would be nice. If somebody was going to go that far, then I would assume the rear seats would be removed and anything else that wasn't necessary also. It would be nice see what the weight reduction would do in at least a 0 to 60 anyway.

Untouchable
10-22-2006, 12:48 AM
then why not just but a 93 mustang lx stripped to the shell with a 347 stroker motor.

runutzzzzz
10-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Why didn't anyone mention the obvious?
REMOVE THE SPARE! :)

SRT8
10-22-2006, 09:31 AM
Why didn't anyone mention the obvious?
REMOVE THE SPARE! :)
What spare? LOL :eek:

Str8Srt8
10-22-2006, 06:08 PM
What spare? LOL :eek:

In this ride, removing the spare means kicking your shot gun rider out:p

shodanusmc
10-24-2006, 07:15 PM
Grind the paint down to bare metal....with Primer, Base and clear, thats a nice little weight reduction. Remove one wheel lug from each wheel. Remove the headliner. Take off all door trim and emblems. Just for starters!

Str8Srt8
10-26-2006, 08:57 PM
Grind the paint down to bare metal....with Primer, Base and clear, thats a nice little weight reduction. Remove one wheel lug from each wheel. Remove the headliner. Take off all door trim and emblems. Just for starters!

Actually, you really are on the right track. Instead of removing one wheel lug from each wheel, why not just replace the stock ones with titanium or something lighter but just as strong? Taking off all of the trim would benefit not only in weight reduction, but it would also improve its streamline.

TXBLU
10-28-2006, 08:01 AM
Actually, you really are on the right track. Instead of removing one wheel lug from each wheel, why not just replace the stock ones with titanium or something lighter but just as strong? Taking off all of the trim would benefit not only in weight reduction, but it would also improve its streamline.

I gained 0.00385 Miles Per Gallon by removing the "Jeep" Logos from the fornt and back!!!

To qoute Richard Petty, "Man! What a diff-ernce!!!".

:D

Str8Srt8
10-28-2006, 11:25 PM
I gained 0.00385 Miles Per Gallon by removing the "Jeep" Logos from the fornt and back!!!

To qoute Richard Petty, "Man! What a diff-ernce!!!".

:D

And when you add up all of the other light reduction mods, you are quoting someting new, all by yourself!

If you're not serious about weight reductions, please don't even bother posting here as you are taking advantage of what some enthusiasts have made real. Look at the Lotus, numb nuts! When you add up all of those little weight reductions, you get something that goes right by your swift behind of which you didn't even expect to happen.

Do you fly? Think about that the next time you get on a plane!

teda
10-28-2006, 11:57 PM
And when you add up all of the other light reduction mods, you are quoting someting new, all by yourself!

If you're not serious about weight reductions, please don't even bother posting here as you are taking advantage of what some enthusiasts have made real. Look at the Lotus, numb nuts! When you add up all of those little weight reductions, you get something that goes right by your swift behind of which you didn't even expect to happen.

Hey man, lighten up....numbnuts? Half the posts here are all in jest. And you are right, no one is taking this post too seriously, unless they are in to racing..... So why you jumping on him? And what's with the Lotus comparison? Might as well tell him to look at a shifter cart. Chill out.

Str8Srt8
10-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Hey man, lighten up....numbnuts? Half the posts here are all in jest. And you are right, no one is taking this post too seriously, unless they are in to racing..... So why you jumping on him? And what's with the Lotus comparison? Might as well tell him to look at a shifter cart. Chill out.

Wow, did I say that? Perhaps this thread should be closed, it's pointless at this time.

Mango
12-22-2006, 05:39 AM

LMAO

hahhahhaa

AaronC
12-22-2006, 08:19 AM
Ok, here is a serious post for you.

You can shed about 10-20 lbs by getting a catback exhaust. The stock exhaust is pretty heavy. You could also remove the rear seats pretty easily. Not sure how heavy they are, but it is worth a shot. Also, I think our washer fluid bottle holds a couple gallons of fluid. A gallon of water weighs 8.33lbs, so you could cut maybe 15lbs+ off the weight by draining that before you go to the track. Just a couple ideas.

TXBLU
12-22-2006, 08:28 AM

Did you proof read what you typed??? "...light reductions..."? "...taking advantage of what some enthusiasts have made real..."? "... goes right by your swift behind of which..."? What kind of syntax is that???

As a matter of fact, I do fly, and have been an aircraft technician for over 25 years. Big whoop.

The question I have is, after all the other humorous posts here, what made you decide to blow a head gasket and cry about mine? Do you have an issue we're not aware of?

To be completely serious, how about removing all of the sound deadening material, carpets, sound system, front and rear fog lights (blank off the holes with tape), rear seats, rear cargo area floor panel, rear wiper assembly, liftgate support struts, headliner, interior door panels, glove box, kick panels, all the other interior trim you can get loose, and get a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood. That ought to get a few hundred pounds out of it. Plus, you can put it all back in later.

Feel better?

Rob Dance
12-22-2006, 03:14 PM
The question I have is, after all the other humorous posts here, what made you decide to blow a head gasket and cry about mine?

Perhaps he didn`t realise that the others were "Tongue in cheek" ??

Anyhow, have you ever tried to go anywhere in a Lotus ? uncomfortable, rattly, draughty,noisy,impractical..........

My 4.5 TVR Cerbera was 1/3 the weight of an SRT Jeep, but on a decent cross country journey, the SRT is far quicker... its far more user friendly.

TXBLU
12-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Perhaps he didn`t realise that the others were "Tongue in cheek" ??

Anyhow, have you ever tried to go anywhere in a Lotus ? uncomfortable, rattly, draughty,noisy,impractical..........

My 4.5 TVR Cerbera was 1/3 the weight of an SRT Jeep, but on a decent cross country journey, the SRT is far quicker... its far more user friendly.

True the Lotuses (Loti???) are pretty harsh on long trips, and can even be a pain as a daily driver for some folks, but man, do they handle nice! I would LOVE to have one as a track car. That and an Ariel Atom!

At any rate, it would be nice to get a few hundred pounds out of the Jeep.

Str8Srt8
12-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Did you proof read what you typed??? "...light reductions..."? "...taking advantage of what some enthusiasts have made real..."? "... goes right by your swift behind of which..."? What kind of syntax is that???

As a matter of fact, I do fly, and have been an aircraft technician for over 25 years. Big whoop.

The question I have is, after all the other humorous posts here, what made you decide to blow a head gasket and cry about mine? Do you have an issue we're not aware of?

To be completely serious, how about removing all of the sound deadening material, carpets, sound system, front and rear fog lights (blank off the holes with tape), rear seats, rear cargo area floor panel, rear wiper assembly, liftgate support struts, headliner, interior door panels, glove box, kick panels, all the other interior trim you can get loose, and get a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood. That ought to get a few hundred pounds out of it. Plus, you can put it all back in later.

Feel better?

So what's your heading? Obviously you haven't read my reply to my reply.
Thanks for the ideas, I was also thinking of a lighter shift knob :D
Yep, I'm much happier now. I didn't think of the glove box.

holeshot
04-26-2007, 09:01 PM
on the first generation hemi truck, i removed the bumper hitch support 40 lbs,rear bumper and hardware 41lbs, 20 inch steel spare (get this 85lbs),full windshield washer reservoir 13lbs, windshield wipers and motor 10lbs, looks a lot better imo "live in so cal,no rain". front sway bar and end links 31lbs, plastic storage tray behind seats 9 lbs, passenger seat and console 77 lbs and electric fan instead of belt driven fan plus shroud 21lbs. thats a total of 327lbs. raced 3 times at fontanna in an 03 1500 with exhaust,intake,electric fans, thermostat, colder plugs , exhaust cutout ,and a 100 shot of nos. best time was a 12.8 at 107mph. truck weighed 4800lbs with a full tank of gas without me in it with hard tonnae cover and tailgate on with none of these weight reductions performed yet. none of these items were difficult to remove, just time consuming trying not to break any of the clips or hardware so you can re-install it later. Im sure we could shave close to 300 without compromising too much, but to get in the half ton range we need a lot of help with composites all the way around. dont worry about the comments everyone has an opinion, and i got in the same sh1t storm on dtw in a similar thread. what was even funnier was come race day just about everyone was asking me questions and removing a little of this and a little of that. hope this helps in some way, i was also curious and removed each part in my garage and weighed it.;)

9900rpm
04-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Drill holes or remove the front and rear bumper reinforcements. Cut out 1 beam from the inside of each door. Run lighter wheels and tires (stock ones are very heavy, and unsprung weight is the best to lose). Aluminum or CF driveshaft. Strip undercoating and sound deadening materials. Run a lightweight exhaust system utilizing thinner walled steel. Run an Odyssey small batter (saves about 25lbs).

Doing all of the above will trim fat from the truck without sacrificing too much.

HoustonSRT-8
04-27-2007, 06:56 PM
Run an Odyssey small batter (saves about 25lbs).

A what? :confused:

jaybruce
04-27-2007, 08:24 PM
www.odysseybatteries.com

HoustonSRT-8
04-27-2007, 08:38 PM
www.odysseybatteries.com (http://www.odysseybatteries.com)
Ahh, a battery. I didn't know what a batter was. ;)

9900rpm
04-28-2007, 01:55 AM

Battery. Typed too fast and missed a letter.
They make lighter/smaller batteries.