Anyone with ported heads? [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Anyone with ported heads?

SStampede
10-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Done by who, and how much improvement did it make?

Thanks.

radduc
10-04-2006, 10:24 AM
I had my heads Ported and Polished by GSM They did a great job!! You MUST do the Cold Air Intake and the entire exhaust including headers to get everything out of the porting in My opion.

mabosc223
10-04-2006, 12:36 PM

Thanks.

I'm hoping to have mine sometime soon maybe, along with a truckload of other parts, this waiting is killing me. Btw they are G.S. Motorsports P&P Heads and Intake. Scott help me out brother. :) What happened to those tracking numbers last week...:confused:

srt8suv
10-04-2006, 05:25 PM

Thanks.

I ordered it from Power ported performance.. it tooks them 2 days to have them shipped it out, fully rebuild with Titanium retainers, Valve springs, push rods.
The porting was CNC, i will try to get you some picutures tomorrow. I have not installed it yet.
I got a really good deal compare to what you can find in the market, with CNC porting, it was really worth it.

El Calor
10-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Dynamic Racing's heads are gonna be sick! He has the best performaing heads on the market right now for the 5.7L Hemi's and the 6.1L heads should be done in about a week! I'll get him to chime in and fill you because he know's his sh*t!

slickrich555
10-04-2006, 10:56 PM
how much you think they will charge????

SRTJeep
10-05-2006, 01:46 AM
Some new heads are in the works? Soon they will be released and nobody has tried then yet. I'll comment after seeing them and after they are installed. (not on my JGC) Gene

radduc
10-05-2006, 06:58 AM
Dynamic Racing's heads are gonna be sick! He has the best performaing heads on the market right now for the 5.7L Hemi's and the 6.1L heads should be done in about a week! I'll get him to chime in and fill you because he know's his sh*t!

How do you know they are going to be thye best ones out there?? Please tell!!

split2112
10-05-2006, 12:17 PM
hey guys, totally newb question, but what is the difference between heads, headers, and ported heads? and what is each ones purpose??

Seems like these upgrades make quite a difference, but i want to know what exactly id be changing and why.

candyman
10-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Heads and ported heads do the same thing - increase and smooth the flow of air/fuel into the cylinders. Headers on the other hand remove the exhaust gas from the cylinders, aftermarket long tube headers do it more efficiently.

split2112
10-05-2006, 12:48 PM
cool, so which is a more sound investment (from a power/efficiency perspective)....getting ported heads, or new headers?

kwoody87
10-05-2006, 02:16 PM
definatly both but headers are cheaper and a tad less work to put in. with heads you'll see a much more noticable performance gain

split2112
10-05-2006, 03:47 PM
cool, thanks for the info guys

jerthehair
10-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Have ported and polished and ceramic coated heads and upper intake, cld air, reflash and didn't gain ****. Back to back stock to modded same day same strip .01 of a second gain and less than 1mph trap speed difference.

Save your money and wait to see actual consistent, repeatable, reliable power and numbers.

srt8suv
10-09-2006, 05:20 PM
My brother has Power ported Heads and kooks headers with CAI.. when we compared with my stock vehicle, he was in front of me in the 1st gear, by a car in the 2nd gear, by 2-3 cars in the 3rd gear...

enjoy !

Grip Grip
10-10-2006, 10:30 AM
I spent over 2K (including installation costs) on ported/polished heads and they did nothing more than slow me down! Now, with a DA of below sea level I can only muster a humble 13.26 in the 1/4.

Keep in mind, I'm referring to a specific vendor's cnc heads, NOT ALL VENDORS HEADS. I bought crap, but their may be something of quality now available.

Grip

SRTJeep
10-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Original testing on the local design heads are: 360 cfm @ .500 lift (intake) , exh? velocity is improved 35% so bottom, mid range and top end flow/hp is awesome, closed chamber design that is an additional plus! A much better matched size for the 6.1, with no loss of performence over the whole rpm range. These are being tested on a 6.1 engine on a dyno soon! No more info is available until all the testing is completed. I'll post much more info when available as these are just prototype versions for now. Be patient! Gene

FastMatt
10-10-2006, 12:50 PM
I spent over 2K (including installation costs) on ported/polished heads and they did nothing more than slow me down! Now, with a DA of below sea level I can only muster a humble 13.26 in the 1/4.

Get the Kooks/Corsa combo and forget the heads.

You'll think me later.

Grip

I cant imagine the hack job heads you got for $2000 WITH install, but some times you get what you pay for. It is very easy to mess up heads and hurt your performance rather then help.

We gained 94 WHEEL HP(~115 at the crank) on a 5.7L hemi with heads/cam. We are expecting even better things from the 6.1L

rainmaker
10-10-2006, 01:53 PM
I cant imagine the hack job heads you got for $2000 WITH install, but some times you get what you pay for. It is very easy to mess up heads and hurt your performance rather then help.

We gained 94 WHEEL HP(~115 at the crank) on a 5.7L hemi with heads/cam. We are expecting even better things from the 6.1L

Those are some hefty numbers. LS1 level even... My concern (as with most others) is how does the stock PCM compensate for ported heads or a cam. I bet Grip had a similar issue, because I've seen lots of posting on lxforums.com about big gains with heads.

Matt can you comment on stock PCM working against Mods of any type?

FastMatt
10-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Those are some hefty numbers. LS1 level even... My concern (as with most others) is how does the stock PCM compensate for ported heads or a cam. I bet Grip had a similar issue, because I've seen lots of posting on lxforums.com about big gains with heads.

Matt can you comment on stock PCM working against Mods of any type?

With the smaller (comp stage 1 cam) in that 5.7L car (346 rwhp) it was driven daily for over 8000 miles with out a single problem (as well as plenty of other cars with the same set-up) with just a SC tuner. When we went to the Even larger comp stage 2 cam (XFI 268) the car had problems idling. But after adding the ARC-1 to the car to show the ECU that we were pulling more vacuum then the motor real is at idle it's back to running and idling like a champ. And put 367 HP to the wheels.

rainmaker
10-10-2006, 03:15 PM
When we went to the Even larger comp stage 2 cam (XFI 268) the car had problems idling. But after adding the ARC-1 to the car to show the ECU that we were pulling more vacuum then the motor real is at idle it's back to running and idling like a champ. And put 367 HP to the wheels.

Nice! For the aftermarket illiterate, what is the ARC-1 and what does it do? That's the first I've heard of it. Is it a piggy back?

Will any of the Cams you mentioned work in a 6.1L application?

Thanks

FastMatt
10-10-2006, 05:51 PM

Thanks

Yes thy both will, the Stage 1 (XFI260H) would be a very mild up-grade over the stock 6.1L cam. Now the XFI268H cam will be a nice up-grade, thatís the cam that we are going to be installing in EKool's Jeep here very soon.

FastMatt
10-10-2006, 05:51 PM
Nice! For the aftermarket illiterate, what is the ARC-1 and what does it do? That's the first I've heard of it. Is it a piggy back?

take a look

http://www.dynamicracing.com/customer/product.php?productid=564&cat=204&page=1

FastMatt
10-10-2006, 06:01 PM

Thanks

Please check out our heads/cam Special

http://www.dynamicracing.com/customer/product.php?productid=563&cat=204&page=1

DANK
10-10-2006, 06:49 PM
What do you do about the computer in the 5.7 application?
DANK

FastMatt
10-10-2006, 07:13 PM
What do you do about the computer in the 5.7 application?
DANK

view post #20

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13096&postcount=20

srt8suv
10-13-2006, 05:29 PM
take a look

http://www.dynamicracing.com/customer/product.php?productid=564&cat=204&page=1

on a stock engine (ex. only, CAI & Catback) is there any benifits of installing this ARC?

thanks