performance upgrades [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: performance upgrades

allflashnocash
09-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Hey guys-

I just ordered an 07 gc srt-8 that will arrive in Oct. I want to add an induction kit, headers and exhaust. From what I have read the Corsa sounds like the exhaust. What about the headers? Someone mentioned Kooks. Has anyone installed headers with the Corsa exhaust? What about an air induction kit? I currently have a 2000 GC with the kn, borla and performance chip, (no headers) and it sounds great when you stand on it and is mellow when just idling. I don't want anything to obnoxious. Something that sounds like it belongs on the vehicle. Any suggestions. Thanks.

El Jefe
09-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Well I bet with the Kooks and the Corsa catback, it will be much louder than what youve got now

Black_SRT8
09-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Welcome aboard, and nice choice of color!

You are on the right track with Corsa. As far as the intake, besides a few design parameters, most CAI's are the same. Thus, choose the best looking one :). However, I would recommend buying a CAI that implements a totally sealed box.

ARH1956
09-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Welcome aboard, and nice choice of color!

You are on the right track with Corsa. As far as the intake, besides a few design parameters, most CAI's are the same. Thus, choose the best looking one :). However, I would recommend buying a CAI that implements a totally sealed box.If your primary criteria for a CAI is a totally sealed box keep it stock.

radduc
09-20-2006, 12:23 PM
I have the Kooks headers with the magna flow exhaust and the GS Motorsports CAI and damm,Those Headers are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I have had extensive work done to my jeep and I can tell you the best bang for the buck was those kooks headers and the GSM intake.Give scott a call over there he is extreamly knowledgeable and is a really nice guy.www.gsmotorsports.com

srt8suv
09-20-2006, 04:01 PM
I have KOOKs and MagnaFlow.. its great.. I kept my Stock box.. u need to select the best CAIs based on the look, material used, and design. GSM uses SS tube, which heats up quickly, and thats why i took it off and re-used my stock one.. :)

SRTJeep
09-21-2006, 01:05 AM
I don't like any inclosed intake air box, too restrictive. (Very little heat absorbsion on the inlet metal tube) DCX Engs only comments (at the Nats) on the CAI is the underhood versions heat soak and causes a loss of HP, maybe 5 to 8? (their comments not mine) I personally like GSM and second Dub's, open filter element with a cold air source. Headers, ported heads are another subject. I question much of a performance gain using the current versions. I have information on this subject. MO and Others. HTH Gene

srt8suv
09-21-2006, 04:38 PM
at least find some CAI that uses Aluminum or Plastic like K&N

allflashnocash
09-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Any word on when K&N will offer a CAI? I looked on Kook's website and was unable to locate headers for the jeep. I take it they are custom made? Anyone know the cost?

candyman
09-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Any word on when K&N will offer a CAI? I looked on Kook's website and was unable to locate headers for the jeep. I take it they are custom made? Anyone know the cost?
Kooks headers are available at www.tbyrnemotorsports.com

SRT8
09-22-2006, 11:54 AM
I got my Mopar(Corsa) CAT( & CAI) put on yesturday. It took my dealer almost 4hrs to do both, that seemed to long, but they only chargered me 1hr so it was worth saving my knuckles. The results are good. The sound is deffinitly different than stock. The sound during startup & acceleration are deffinitly better/more agressive. The tips are a little more agressive/flashy also. I only put 50miles on it so I cant say there was a supstantial power increase. I did notice that while in high gear traveling at low speeds(30mph) it feels/sounds a little akward, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Does anyone know if the computer has to ajust itself to intake/exhaust mods? Overall the sound it makes during accel is amazing.

srt8suv
09-22-2006, 04:16 PM
the ECU will do some adjustment on timing and airfuel ration as necessary and if its required. if the adjustment to take place, it will take some time..

SRTJeep
09-22-2006, 06:14 PM
I would disconnect the power to the PCM for a time. Many do this to enhance driveablity? I'm going to try it soon? Gene

generalconfusion
09-23-2006, 02:30 AM
I got my Mopar(Corsa) CAT( & CAI) put on yesturday. It took my dealer almost 4hrs to do both, that seemed to long, but they only chargered me 1hr so it was worth saving my knuckles. The results are good. The sound is deffinitly different than stock. The sound during startup & acceleration are deffinitly better/more agressive. The tips are a little more agressive/flashy also. I only put 50miles on it so I cant say there was a supstantial power increase. I did notice that while in high gear traveling at low speeds(30mph) it feels/sounds a little akward, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Does anyone know if the computer has to ajust itself to intake/exhaust mods? Overall the sound it makes during accel is amazing.

The Mopar cai is too large, resonates and will kill velocity. If you reinstall the stock intake the awkward sound goes away and you will notice more throttle response.

The ECU will not adjust, the changes should make an immediate change if any.

Black_SRT8
09-23-2006, 10:43 AM
I would disconnect the power to the PCM for a time. Many do this to enhance driveablity? I'm going to try it soon? Gene

I took Gene's advice, and after installing the Corsa, I disconnected the battery for four hours. Subsequently, the throttle felt lighter; it was much smoother. This is not the power of suggestion at work, there was a discernable difference.

Some people think our PCM does not learn, others disagree. Regardless of your paradigm, try it and see what you think.

SRT8
09-23-2006, 02:51 PM
The Mopar cai is too large, resonates and will kill velocity. If you reinstall the stock intake the awkward sound goes away and you will notice more throttle response.

The ECU will not adjust, the changes should make an immediate change if any.

The sound I'm hearing seems to be the exhaust(not the CAI). It's not a bad sound per say just different than stock. It does feel like it lugs a bit in 5th & should be in 4th at 30mph. Has anyone else felt this w/these or one of these upgrades?

generalconfusion
10-03-2006, 01:54 AM
I took Gene's advice, and after installing the Corsa, I disconnected the battery for four hours. Subsequently, the throttle felt lighter; it was much smoother. This is not the power of suggestion at work, there was a discernable difference.

Some people think our PCM does not learn, others disagree. Regardless of your paradigm, try it and see what you think.

It takes about 5 minutes for it to reset......I have the Kooks and Corsa and am getting the CEL.....I disconnect the positive for 5 minutes and it resets immediately.

GodfatherSRT8
10-03-2006, 11:11 AM
CEL?? Cool External Lights?:confused:

radduc
10-06-2006, 04:22 PM
It takes about 5 minutes for it to reset......I have the Kooks and Corsa and am getting the CEL.....I disconnect the positive for 5 minutes and it resets immediately.

GSM has the fix for the CEL

allflashnocash
11-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Hey Guys-
Just an FYI: Apparently Jeep has slowed production on SRT-8's. I placed an order back in Sept. and the dealer who I have dealt with the last 10yrs called last week and told me production has been pushed to mid Dec. early Jan. I had already sold my Jeep and was driving a loaner so I had the dealer do a search and decided to get one that arrived Nov. 2nd to a dealer about 150 miles away. I pick it up tonight. It is Black with all options, SRT1, Nav, DVD, and even the engine heater.

Anyway, I plan on adding a slew of mods, ie: headers, exhaust, cai, some visual mods etc. Any suggestions are welcomed. I continue to read the forums for ideas. Great site.

mabosc223
11-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Hey Guys-
Just an FYI: Apparently Jeep has slowed production on SRT-8's. I placed an order back in Sept. and the dealer who I have dealt with the last 10yrs called last week and told me production has been pushed to mid Dec. early Jan. I had already sold my Jeep and was driving a loaner so I had the dealer do a search and decided to get one that arrived Nov. 2nd to a dealer about 150 miles away. I pick it up tonight. It is Black with all options, SRT1, Nav, DVD, and even the engine heater.

Anyway, I plan on adding a slew of mods, ie: headers, exhaust, cai, some visual mods etc. Any suggestions are welcomed. I continue to read the forums for ideas. Great site.

Nice to have you aboard Steve. Your going to love the beast. Maybe we could meet up sometime as I am in Cleveland. And I will be blown soon, so you could see what the Jeep is like with some mods. Ok.. Take Care.. GO BUCKEYES!!!

halzas
11-25-2006, 06:12 PM
:confused: :confused: Any updated feedback on the upgrade? I'm considering the same thing through he dealer I just purchased my 2007 though recently. Any onfo would be great!I got my Mopar(Corsa) CAT( & CAI) put on yesturday. It took my dealer almost 4hrs to do both, that seemed to long, but they only chargered me 1hr so it was worth saving my knuckles. The results are good. The sound is deffinitly different than stock. The sound during startup & acceleration are deffinitly better/more agressive. The tips are a little more agressive/flashy also. I only put 50miles on it so I cant say there was a supstantial power increase. I did notice that while in high gear traveling at low speeds(30mph) it feels/sounds a little akward, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Does anyone know if the computer has to ajust itself to intake/exhaust mods? Overall the sound it makes during accel is amazing.

allflashnocash
11-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Nice to have you aboard Steve. Your going to love the beast. Maybe we could meet up sometime as I am in Cleveland. And I will be blown soon, so you could see what the Jeep is like with some mods. Ok.. Take Care.. GO BUCKEYES!!!

That would be great. Let me know when you get to Columbus.