Installed Dub Air CAI [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Installed Dub Air CAI

GotStroke?
09-16-2006, 01:31 AM
Installation was straightforward (a 20-30 minute job tops) and the components in the kit are of high quality. Aside from me snapping the male end of the IAT sensor in half--fwiw, you can't order them from NAPA or AA only from a Jeep/Chrysler dealer--it was a piece of cake.
As others have already stated there is definitely a louder and deeper induction sound than with the rubber OEM inlet, the tone is now quite raspy when you're at anything over 1/3 throttle.
Two things I'm considering doing are having the SS pipe ceramic coated, and switching to a bigmouth filter. The former would be more for the hell of it since it won't cost me anything, though the SS portion does get quite hot after extended idling. The later because there's only so much room for a filter to fit in the stock air box, or one like the DUB CAI that follows its design. However the filter shouldn't be smaller than what you would find in a Ford 4.6L CAI kit--UPR or JLT for instance. Anyway, I think I can cram in a slightly longer filter with even more surface area gained from the open end.
When I hit 3000 miles I'll do a same session, back to back comparison on my local AWD dyno to see what if any tangible gains I just bought.
A quick favor to ask someone. Please look at your IAT sensor, there will be two sets of numbers, one on each "long" side of the plastic. Which number is facing the filter, and which is facing the driver's side of the plug?

Thanks

DUB Air
09-16-2006, 02:06 AM
The RSA funnel ram IV filter that is used w/ our DUB~air intake systems is size per size the highest CFM flowing filter on the market. Check us out at SEMA for a demonsration.

Black_SRT8
09-16-2006, 06:29 AM
Nice choice, Stroke!

Go for an extended drive, perhaps an hour or more. Then, check the temperature of the SS tube. You will be quite suprised, becuase it will be WARM, not even close to hot.

Black_SRT8
09-16-2006, 06:49 AM
BTW, I understand hot and warm are ambiguous terms, but I say warm because if you put your hand on the tube, it would not retract. In fact, you could keep your hand on the tube indefinitely. If the tube was hot, this would not be the case. I just wanted to clarify my definition of warm and hot. Take her for an extended spin and share your thoughts...

candyman
09-16-2006, 08:40 AM
Installation was straightforward (a 20-30 minute job tops) and the components in the kit are of high quality. Aside from me snapping the male end of the IAT sensor in half--fwiw, you can't order them from NAPA or AA only from a Jeep/Chrysler dealer--it was a piece of cake. Which number is facing the filter, and which is facing the driver's side of the plug?

Thanks
It appears that the last two digits of the number facing the drivers side is 35 or 36. Man those are small numbers. I need a magnifying glass.

GotStroke?
09-16-2006, 10:15 AM
The RSA funnel ram IV filter that is used w/ our DUB~air intake systems is size per size the highest CFM flowing filter on the market. Check us out at SEMA for a demonsration.

The filter is nice but I can't help but wonder if a 1" longer filter made of the same media with an open bigmouth end (where most of the additional surface area would come from) wouldn't flow even better? What's the max cfm rating of the supplied filter?
I guess that could be another variable to test on the dyno...

Thanks

GotStroke?
09-16-2006, 10:16 AM
It appears that the last two digits of the number facing the drivers side is 35 or 36. Man those are small numbers. I need a magnifying glass.

Thank you, that helps with reinstalling the new IAT.

GotStroke?
09-16-2006, 10:17 AM
BTW, I understand hot and warm are ambiguous terms, but I say warm because if you put your hand on the tube, it would not retract. In fact, you could keep your hand on the tube indefinitely. If the tube was hot, this would not be the case. I just wanted to clarify my definition of warm and hot. Take her for an extended spin and share your thoughts...

You are definitely correct, after a long highway cruise or really any trip w/out extended stoplights or idling situations the pipe is merely warm to the touch. However, after sitting motionless for a few minutes that sucker gets HOT.

GotStroke?
09-16-2006, 11:08 AM

Will you also be at PRI? I'll be down in Orlando this December.

MegaSRT-8
09-20-2006, 08:36 PM
What is recomended as cleaning procedure?
When?
With what oil?
How?

I love mine, and can't wait till the exhaust goes on to compliment it.
MIke

GotStroke?
09-20-2006, 09:22 PM
What is recomended as cleaning procedure?
When?
With what oil?
How?

I love mine, and can't wait till the exhaust goes on to compliment it.
MIke

Use a garden hose without a nozzle (low pressure) and flush the filter from the inside out to push out contaminants. You can use a toothpick or small screwdriver to pick bugs, etc. off the outside prior to this.
It's a cotton/oil element same as K&N, etc. A K&N recharging kit will work just as well as anything else. Reoiling directions are on the box, but you essentially just spray up and down along the outside of the filter in between the grooves. Allow the filter sufficient time to dry before reoiling, and try not to over oil the element either.
As for when, a gauze/oil filter will actually flow better when it's a little dirty. You can clean it every 15-20k miles if you want.

Black_SRT8
09-20-2006, 09:36 PM
Use a garden hose without a nozzle (low pressure) and flush the filter from the inside out to push out contaminants. You can use a toothpick or small screwdriver to pick bugs, etc. off the outside prior to this.
It's a cotton/oil element same as K&N, etc. A K&N recharging kit will work just as well as anything else. Reoiling directions are on the box, but you essentially just spray up and down along the outside of the filter in between the grooves. Allow the filter sufficient time to dry before reoiling, and try not to over oil the element either.
As for when, a gauze/oil filter will actually flow better when it's a little dirty. You can clean it every 15-20k miles if you want.

Thanks for the advice!

GotStroke?
09-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the advice!

NP hombre!