Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Help with removing rear control arms

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  bxcharger 
#1 ·
Anything special about changing the rear upper and lower control arms? I've been trying to isolate weird noises coming from the rear. I believe the majority are from the QA1 shocks, which I honestly believe we're crap from the day I bought them from Stage 6. I had them rebuilt once already, and they just plain stink. Make noise, bounce like crazy, leak, etc. just garbage!

Anyway, I'm in the process of getting ready to replace the shocks, but think some of the noise I'm still hearing may be worn bushings in the control arms. I couldn't find detailed instructions on how to do it after searching. It looks straight forward, but as always, I'm sure it's not.

BTW - have put on the cheapo' Gabriel Ultra Shock just to get by, and once again, can't believe how good she rides. It's night and day over the original worn Bilsteins and the QA1. Maybe it's the Eibachs...don't know...but man, what a difference. Firm yet absorbs road imperfections.

#2 ·
So, I'll ask another question. The lowers look easy enough...remove two bolts each, and change out. The passenger side upper looks straight forward as well. The driver's side looks to be the problem side. I'm guessing the gas tank needs to be dropped? Is it straight forward? Any help would be appreciated.

#3 ·
Both are easy and yes the gas tank gets in the way. Luckily the gas tank is VERY easy to drop and you may get by if you just lower it a few inches in order to slide the bolt out. I inserted the bolt through the other side to make any future removals even easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Do you think it's necessary to replace the bolts?

Also, the headlight leveler bracket is rotted and barely holding on. I can't seem to find if the bracket alone can be replaced. I see the entire sensor available, but hoping to avoid the big expense.

Thanks for your help.

#6 ·
Sweet...that's what I was thinking. Thanks...

#7 · (Edited)
Ok, so I'm underway replacing the rear control arms and ran into two problems. On the passenger side, it looks like I'll need to remove the exhaust to have enough clearance to slide the upper control arm bolt out. I am going to try to see if I can push the exhaust up a bit, but if that doesn't work, I'm going to have to separate the Borland and drop it (damn)

Next, I see how the gas tank gets in the way. The lower front drivers side controls arm bolt will not slide out as it's hitting the tank. The upper front bolt also appears to be blocked, so it looks obvious to me the tank needs to be dropped. I've read several posts that say it only needs to be dropped a couple inches. Question: do any of the lines need to be separated? Does the tank need to be dropped completely? This job is turning into more than I bargained for. I've already had to fabricate a new rear headlight leveler bracket as the original was rotted and disintegrated in my hand.

#9 ·
About to do my rears, how did the install end up going?
I'm only going to do my lower ones though. Did the wheels need to come off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.