Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Viking vs Conqueror or Proseries

15K views 69 replies 21 participants last post by  jntdysf 
#1 ·
I need to decide on a transmission soon. I can feel my shifts getting sloppy especially from 2nd to 3rd gear. I plan on running Mid 9s so I want to buy the right transmission the first time around. Are the paramount transmission worth the extra $1k-2k. Need help deciding.

#7 · (Edited)
Unless I was really strapped for cash at that time and based on my knowledge of transmissions, I personally would not waste time doing anything less than a Super Pro, but that is just my opinion.

Reactions: Jfra
#8 ·
Interested to see what folks say. My experience isn't valid to your question of those in the 9's but I have been very happy with my conquerer. Bill was good to work with and always would answer my call or call me back if I had a question. The only issue I was worried about was I had it installed in January and during the cooler months, I was having issues with it getting up to warmer temps. With the warmer weather it is performing great and the coolness of it is appreciated in the summer. Good luck in your decisions.

#16 ·
Subscribing! Would like to know as well.

#23 ·
SHR aka Southern Hot Rod = JUNK !

I personally smoked a War Viking in 2 Runs.

Its all Smoke and Mirrors with that shop.

CP

Isn't eddy banned from this forum. I remember him ripping Bills trans down to copy it and Bill ripping down a rossler trans TH400 to copy that.

Pick your poison they both have had their fair share just Paramount has had MUCH less.

#25 · (Edited)
Yeah they used to work together. I don't know how many have actually been to Bills shop but he definitely doesn't have an assembly line with some low rent people putting widgets together. I met Dan, 30 yr. Chrysler trans guy and he was building a 9" rear end when I was there picking up my trans. and a super pro to take to Demon. It was Dan and Bill there. They had quite a few old SHR carcasses on the shelf too. In the end, we (the community) are continually changing the standards. They build it, we break it. The limit needs to change to meet with the demands and we are a rash of broken parts away from the next bigger and stronger X. I remember when the paramount stage 3 was the top and throw as much power at it as you can was the saying. Now there is a Superpro and the stage 3 has a limitation. Everyone has had good and bad with both so I would say that either have an offering for you dependent on your specific needs i.e. Track duty, hp now and plans for future growth and yes, available funds. Be realistic in your expectations given what the current "limit" is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 ·
It's not always about power... I've got the defective tranny Eddie knowingly sold me as new in my garage in parts. After he delayed sending me my tranny for months, shipped it to the wrong place, prolonging the delay, screwed me out of my core, and called my vendor a liar, I sent it to the "real" tranny guy to go through. He said there wasn't a single piece he'd use to build a tranny from, including the case. That it looked like it had been to the track with 1500 hp every day for a year. I only put a couple hundred miles on it, maybe, and only a couple of passes. It never worked right. Pull up to a light, it would lock up and die. Then if I was lucky I could get it started, instantly throw it in gear, and get moving again. Just had to run red lights and stop signs or be stranded again. The "real" tranny guy even comped my core charge, for a tranny he didn't even sell! So if Eddie is banned from this place, that's wonderful news! He's one of the biggest *******s I've ever encountered. And you can quote me on that! Not only won't I never buy any SHR product as long as I live, but I won't deal with vendors that sell his crap. Of course he could send me the ~$10k or so he owes me for that $4k pile of scrap metal in my garage and make amends, but I won't hold my breath waiting...

As always YMMV...

wink

#34 ·
Damm I almost spent $4000 too on a SHR war Viking. Look like I'm going to just have to save for the super pro. I just put in a paramount converter in a few weeks ago too. I might start off with the conqueror because my wife is going to kill me if I spend $6500 when I just spent $1000.Now I have to tell her that the transmission is starting to break down. Are the conqueror capable of running high 9s. I still have to do my fuel system. I'm only running on a Walbro 450 with some 80lbs injectors. I'm wiring up my own 90amp fuel system with a Voltage booster to see if it can do 1000hp. If the hellcats runs the same system why can I. Those big hp hellcats are on a stock fuel which has a Walbro 450 with a built in voltage booster.

#30 ·
I know a guy that has been through 7 POS War Viking Transmissions this year.
Idiot Ed screwd him over Big Time !
Plus all the bad Tunes and burnt up engines to go along with the POS War Viking.

Attachments

Reactions: ltleo and wink
#38 ·
so are there any consistent 9 second rigs running a SHR? thanks

#43 ·
Its tough to say since it was in the Jeep when I bought it, Jeep was making 650rwhp then. I went turbo making probably around 1150whp on race gas and 950 on pump, didn't do alot of passes at the track but played a bit on the street on both pump and race gas. I did not accumulate alot of miles during this time but my miles were going by at a fast rate of acceleration quite often. When Bill took the trans apart he suggested I was making more hp than I thought I was making.

I'd guess if you keep it at 900-1000whp you should get a couple of yrs out of the Paramount CONQUEROR trans+TCM with many track passes, I'd save up for the Super Pro and get AJ to custom tune a TCM for it, go big first time out and avoid spending the money twice.

#44 ·
From the Website:-

CONQUEROR
Features:
•· The Paramount NAG1 CONQUEROR Series is recommended for LX/LC/ Owners that make over 700 ft-lb’s of crankshaft torque up to 1000 ft-lbs of crankshaft torque.
• Also recommended for SRT8 Jeeps at 950 ft-lb’s of crankshaft torque or less
•· This transmission is built with our proprietary clutches, Mercedes seals, Mercedes gaskets and Mercedes filter.
• It has additional clutches in the problematic clutch packs, billet pistons, as well as other proprietary internal modifications.
• It is extensively modified internally.
• Shift firmness will be VERY HARD firmer than stock on the up shifts and down shifts.

SUPER PRO Series
Features:
•• The Paramount NAG1 SUPER PRO Series is recommended for LX/LC owners that make over 1000 ft-lb’s of crankshaft torque up to 1350 ft-lbs of crankshaft torque.
•• Also recommended for SRT8 Jeeps up to 1350 ft-lbs of crankshaft torque
•• This transmission is built with our proprietary clutches, Mercedes seals, Mercedes gaskets and Mercedes filter.
•• It has additional clutches in the problematic clutch packs, billet pistons, as well as other proprietary internal modifications.
•• A large diameter (TH400 sized) 300M input shaft is used. NOTE>>>it requires our Dominator torque converter with larger internals to match the input shaft diameter.
•• It is extensively modified internally.
**Upgraded planetary gears
•• Shift firmness will be FIRM ( to say the least!) on the up shifts and down shifts

Reactions: Jfra
#46 ·
Also remember what's just as important to the parts they build... The customer service and accountability standing behind the part.. Me personally I would never purchase a SHR, or deal with a vendor that tried to push me that way... That's just me... To each their own and I believe and respect others for their choices with their own builds and money...

I have the conqr trans along with Paramounts full set up... Let's put it this way... I'm having an issue that only started right after I had an install done and tune... Long story short... The installer got lost in left field on me and left me on my own... Bill for I touch with me right away, steered me to people that could assist and even sent me parts to fix issues he didn't even cause....
Enough said.... Take it for what that's worth....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.