Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

What happens when the transmission dies?

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  cmn1 
#1 ·
Just wondering what the symptoms are when the stock tranny dies from too much power.

Is it inoperable, or looses a gear, or starts slipping?

It'd be nice to be able to limp home or to a shop.

#2 ·
Bump this thread, I would like to know too....Just in case I ever have a problem like this in the future, even though, very unlikely for me :D

#8 ·
Mine would shift into 2nd and then disengage(coast).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Reactions: SPEEDDEMON
#10 · (Edited)
I've had similar type of feeling, or as it was trying to switch up... Rev then catch...

But prior to that looking back when I first started to feel things. I would get a mushy responce while driving.. Think driving a manual set up and trying to excelerate in n a high gear when you should be in first or second..

But when things get really bad, you will get burning, knocking under floor boards while costing (flex plate banging) trans pissing all,over the place and then bang!.... Lookin the rear view mirror to see a bouncy or parts that use to belong in your jeep. Lol

#11 ·
It really depends on what breaks. You will know when it dies. Some you can still drive sometimes you have to get towed. I've broken a few transmissions including a 4L60 that exploded!

Reactions: Passmg2
#13 ·
Here is what mine sounded like when mine died. That whining is not a S/C

#14 ·
Just curious... i was doing a log for johan and noticed that sometimes at wot, the jeep.would shift straight from 2nd to 4th. Other than that, I still have 3rd gear. But almost every time i drive, it clunks when slowing down and downshifting. Have taken it to the dealer numerous times and they keep telling me that my transmission is fine. Any thoughts

#16 ·
Nope, auto stick

#20 ·
Cm...
When I was watching your video.. When I really heard the whine.. I notice you slowed up and made your way off the track.. Other then the whine.. Did you feel anything? Or lose power?

Reactions: Passmg2
#21 ·
It broke at 38 seconds. Rev'd to over 7000 and I was coasting the rest of the way into the paddock area.

#23 ·
Stock, still running built one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.