What is the Best CAI? up todate - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
View Poll Results: What is the Best CAI?
MOPAR 15 46.88%
K&N 5 15.63%
GSM 7 21.88%
AIRAID 1 3.13%
VOLANT 2 6.25%
Ect 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

What is the Best CAI? up todate

Please participate in this pole to share the experience and make it easier for new comers to select what is the best for their SRT-8s
Thanks

Last edited by srt8suv; 08-27-2006 at 10:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 11:18 AM

Re: What is the Best CAI? up todate

The Mopar CAI is the best one out up to date.

It is designed for the srt8 which is why it has such a perfect fit and works with the engine so well. Who better to trust than the people who made the car??? Why go after market when mopar knows what they are doing in the first place.

after market parts will only cause you more drama down the road with warrentys and what not.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Major Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordo9998
The Mopar CAI is the best one out up to date.

It is designed for the srt8 which is why it has such a perfect fit and works with the engine so well. Who better to trust than the people who made the car??? Why go after market when mopar knows what they are doing in the first place.

after market parts will only cause you more drama down the road with warrentys and what not.
I agree with the warranty retention, but I disagree with everything else you said. Just becuase an intake is Mopar designed, it does not mean it has superior performance. Some aftermarket companies spend more time in research and development than Mopar. Now, if SRT8 engineers designed the intake, that would be a whole different story.

IMO, from a performance perspective, they are all relatively the same.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 01:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to radduc

I don't think we can honestly pick out the best CAI unless we have driven our Jeeps with all of them on.I went with the GSM CAI for a coupple reasons,1. I purchased many other mods from them and I was impressed by all of them.2. The customer service with these guys is second to none.They have made a coupple mistakes but Scott was on top of it and made things right.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8suv
Please participate in this pole to share the experience and make it easier for new comers to select what is the best for their SRT-8s
Thanks
How can any of us know without having tried both. I have a Mopar CAI, but without trying the GSM myself, I have no way of knowing which is really "better" I've actually modified the housing around the Mopar CAI to better insure "cold" air that's not mixed with engine compartment "hot" air (huge gaps in the metal housing around the filter housing. The Mopar CAI intake has a nice growl at full throttle as part of the package, which was a suprise for me given that prior BMW CAI's I've used never changed much in the sound department.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 04:15 PM

I have the Mopar CAI as well... looks great under the hood and has a nice growl when you step on it. I had posted in another thread that it was quite hot to the touch after 1/2 hour of driving. I have since wrapped the intake tube with a fiberglass/foil type of heat shield. It doesn't look pretty, but the material supposedly reflects up to 1,000 degrees - 400 degrees constant. It is definitely cooler to the touch now... and the filter itself is a lot cooler than before.

If someone with the stock intake can do me a favor... after driving for awhile, pop the hood and feel your intake (the long portion where the air sensor is located). Is it hot/warm/cool??? Thanks in advance.

'06 Silver SRT8 GC - Bone stock
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 05:49 PM

It's always going to be hot,it's in the engine compartment.Wraping it is a waste and is not going to help performance what so ever.But if you want to do it,go for it.The heat tape is ment for headers that get really HOT,It is suppose to bring down the temp and give you a slight increase in HP.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Major Contributing Member

After two hour of highway driving:

Stock plastic - warm
Dub SS - Warm

Two nights ago, I came back from an extended drive, and right after it ended, I popped the hood and put my hand on the stainless steel intake tube - it was warm, not even close to hot!! I was in disbelief, but I checked again today and the results were the same. I could have kept my hand on there indefinitely. If your tube is really hot, think about switching to something else.

I would take a temperature, but how??

Last edited by Black_SRT8; 08-27-2006 at 06:03 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHemi
I have the Mopar CAI as well... looks great under the hood and has a nice growl when you step on it. I had posted in another thread that it was quite hot to the touch after 1/2 hour of driving. I have since wrapped the intake tube with a fiberglass/foil type of heat shield. It doesn't look pretty, but the material supposedly reflects up to 1,000 degrees - 400 degrees constant. It is definitely cooler to the touch now... and the filter itself is a lot cooler than before.

If someone with the stock intake can do me a favor... after driving for awhile, pop the hood and feel your intake (the long portion where the air sensor is located). Is it hot/warm/cool??? Thanks in advance.
Just saw another thread on this question (www.***********). Sarge states that the GSM is better than the Mopar d/t consistent interior diameter of the intatke tube (intake velocity was the argument). He's tried both, and believes the GSM is better.

As much as I agree with the velocity issue, I think a cooler engine and air intake (one solution described above) is more important than the velocity issue. For me, I've bypassed the radiator fan so that I have control as to when it runs (like the GSM fan/traction control modificiation). If the fan runs continously during the summer, the intake air tube and the intake manifold will be secondarily cooler d/t lower under-hood temps, thus lower intake air temps results in more oxygen available for combustion (thus more power!).
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 06:03 PM

I have the GSM CAI as well as the ESP/FAN mod and the chrome intake never gets HOT it gets warm but never hot that I could not keep my hand on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode