DUB AIR CAI Install with pics - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Major Contributing Member

Thumbs up DUB AIR CAI Install with pics

Hi Everyone!

I received my Dub Air CAI kit from Tbyrne; their customer service was spectacular, and I received my order in six days (pretty quick for MN). The components were packaged with the utmost care.

The kit is impressive, technically and aesthetically. The bottom portion of the stock airbox is used, which is advantageous because it is an air magnet. The stainless steel is marine grade, and the elbow and hose are silicone, meaning absolutely no corroding. Plus, the filter is enormous!

I will be installing the kit tomorrow, and I am writing this post ahead of time in case anybody wants specific pictures of the install. Pictures of the kit are posted in case any "tech junkies" want to analyze the design of the system.

Once the kit is installed, I write a summary of the performance aspects.

The next post has the install pictures.....
Attached Thumbnails
Kit.JPG   Filter.JPG  

Last edited by Black_SRT8; 08-04-2006 at 10:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Update

Wow! Amazing!

This kit exceeds all of my expectations. The instructions were extremely detailed, yet easy to follow, so installation was painless.

Under the hood, the red silicone matches the red lettering on the engine - it looks like a factory upgrade! Also, the polished SS compliments the rest of the engine compartment nicely.

But, the most important part is performance, and did the 6.1 come alive. Now my engine gives off a throaty roar that constantly turns heads. This kit feeds the 6.1 the air that it was begging for. Throttle response is immediate and accurate; just a docile tap of the pedal can send the engine to high RPM's. Plus, the exhaust tone has really improved; it sounds deep and mellow; I almost do not want to get an aftermarket system now (even though I will).

I would recommend this kit to anyone looking for quality, appearance, and performance.

Below are some pictures of the stock intake snorkel (which my intake takes advantage of) and the installed kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Stock Intake.JPG   Front.JPG   Side.JPG   Filter CU.JPG  
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 01:30 PM

Re: DUB AIR CAI Install with pics

Hmm, Does the hood seal off the box or does it come with a lid.
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

The hood seals the box. The box has a black silicone lining that is flush with the closed hood.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the info
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 08:41 PM

This looks like a great kit. I like the fact that it use the lower stock air box which has the intake tube coming from behind the grill to usher in colder air. Do you know who makes the filter and if it needs to be oiled after its cleaned?
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

The top of the filter says "Akimoto," perhaps they make the filter?

Also, the filter comes pre-oiled, but as far as maintenence, I am unsure - I will ask Tbyrne and get back to you.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 01:43 AM
Senior Contributing Member

Couple more questions... how does the new airbox top mount to the stock airbox bottom? Also it looks like there's a spot next to the coolant tank mounting arm where engine air can leak into the box, am I wrong or is this hole small/insignificant?
________
EroticaExotica

Last edited by idealrides; 08-11-2011 at 01:33 PM.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealrides
Couple more questions... how does the new airbox top mount to the stock airbox bottom? Also it looks like there's a spot next to the coolant tank mounting arm where engine air can leak into the box, am I wrong or is this hole small/insignificant?

1) If you remove the top of your stock airbox and look at your bottom piece, you will see clips on one side and holes on the other. The Dub Air box has male and female ends that perfectly match, leaving no openings for air.

2) I am not sure the small hole to which you are referring. To be honest, I am confused, what do you consider the "coolant tank mounting arm?" If you are talking about the holes in the box, they are for mounting, which I mentioned above. If you are referring to the tube, it is for the silicone hose. If you are talking about the point where the filter is attached to the box, it is just an illusion, there is no actual hole.

3) Nice avy~

If I am not answering your question correctly, let me know. Additional pictures are not a problem.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 03:21 AM
Senior Contributing Member

ok in this picture, at the top left, you can see the coolant tank mounting arm pass over the corner of the airbox. It seems like this is an area where the filter would be sucking in some hot air from the engine bay, as opposed to the stock intake which is 100% sealed from the bay.

If it were up to me I would prefer to trim the mounting arm or reshape the corner of the box in order to get the best seal and coldest air possible. Well maybe I'm being too picky, as clearly this system is the best choice and "colder" than all the other cold air kits on the market, especially the Mopar.
________
Magic Flight Launch Box

Last edited by idealrides; 08-11-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode