Stock muffler cut-a-way... - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Stock muffler cut-a-way...

I found these on another forum, and thought I would show them. Talk about restrictive! It is pretty clear to me that SRT was under some pretty tight sound level restrictions. Talk about killing laminar flow and velocity! These things are awful.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGA0425.JPG   IMGA0426.JPG   IMGA0427.JPG   IMGA0428.JPG   IMGA0429.JPG  

Last edited by AaronC; 07-20-2006 at 11:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributing Member

Re: Stock muffler cut-a-way...

Thanks. I ordered my B&B exhaust on Monday.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I ordered mine right after seeing these pix.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronC
I found these on another forum, and thought I would show them. Talk about restrictive! It is pretty clear to me that SRT was under some pretty tight sound level restrictions. Talk about killing laminar flow and velocity! These things are awful.
Evidently you did not read far enough. Even as "awful" as you think they are, there is only 4hp difference between that exhaust and a set of Zoomers in mid range and EXACTLY the same at high rpm.

Between stock and racing cores........the same 2-4 hp and all that info is posted. Im not saying Corsa or B&B will give the same results.......but flow thru cores are as flow through as it gets. Corsa may have "tuned" their exhaust and those will be dynoed shortly.

DYNO"S DON'T LIE!!!!!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

4HP at the wheels from one mod alone is a lot on an AWD Auto Tranny vehicle, and I suspect that it will make a lot more then that.

I don’t know how familiar you are with volumetric efficiency in an internal combustion engine, but the easier that gases can move in and out of the motor the more power you can make. This is why an intake and exhaust can give you more horsepower. The more turbulent the gases are the more resistance or backpressure is exerted. The purpose of a flow through muffler and mandrel bent tubing is that laminar flow can occur throughout the system. In this muffler design I can see three locations where laminar flow would be completely lost.

Besides, shouldn’t you be pimping Corsa somewhere?

Last edited by AaronC; 07-21-2006 at 08:31 AM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
4HP at the wheels from one mod alone is a lot on an AWD Auto Tranny vehicle, and I suspect that it will make a lot more then that.

I don’t know how familiar you are with volumetric efficiency in an internal combustion engine, but the easier that gases can move in and out of the motor the more power you can make. This is why an intake and exhaust can give you more horsepower. The more turbulent the gases are the more resistance or backpressure is exerted. The purpose of a flow through muffler and mandrel bent tubing is that laminar flow can occur throughout the system. In this muffler design I can see three locations where laminar flow would be completely lost.

Hey Aaron, I went to the trouble to cut away the system and post the photos and I couldn't agree with you more. Plus Dyno's are for tuning and along with intake, exhaust and a programmer the big gains with aftermarket products will shine over the stock set up....
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Banned

Quote:

Wow, thanks for all that basic 101 engine pump theory!! Holy moly!! You dont know how valuable that newbi information is to me and others............. but alas you talking thru your muffler, 4hp for 2 seconds will not improve much.......dyno's dont lie!

HEY.....dont you have hall monitor duty somewhere?

Last edited by Sgt Stanko; 07-21-2006 at 04:47 PM.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Stanko
Wow, thanks for all that basic 101 engine pump theory!! Holy moly!! You dont know how valuable that newbi information is to me and others............. but alas you talking thru your muffler,4hp for 2 seconds will not improve much.......dyno's dont lie!

HEY.....dont you have hall monitor duty somewhere?
No problem, I like to help n00bs like you out.
By the way, the zoomers made 12HP on the dyno.

You are Trolling my thread, not vice versa. I wish the mods here would put you in timeout like they did on the other board.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:

You are Trolling my thread, not vice versa. I wish the mods here would put you in timeout like they did on the other board.
Wrong newbi.....that dyno sheet was my truck and it did not make 12 hp. Ron doctored it and told me to keep quiet. What you see is the difference it made with the Magnaflow whic was 12 down. Even Ron stated that previously. So you have no idea what the **** your talking about clown. I'm not the only truck he dynoed and had the same result.....so you really need to shut your muffler hole.....it's sputtering.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:

BTW wanna be......nobody put me in time out on the "other" thread. Man, you show real credibility not knowing what your talking about. You read something in Car and Driver while sitting in the crapper and pontificate to the rest of us useless information about tire sizes......whooaaa now that was informative!! How long did it take for you to absorb and repeat that.

If you dont have real world information to share or some background to back it up you should stay up on the porch and watch.......and stop posting useless little pictures of your hot air intake.

Hey I have a little device you can put in that thing to spin the hot air, it's worth 12hp and it comes with a dyno sheet you can stare and drool over!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode