Headers . . . - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Headers . . .

Boy am I glad I didn't just go out and buy headers impulsively (like I do just about everything else).

I don't want to get a great deal on some KOOKS headers and then get a stupid 'check engine light' message after spending all the loot.

I also don't want to feel good about getting a great deal on some KOOKS headers and then be told I have to spend another $300 + to get rid of the light (while at the same time buying another mod in the Dashawk).

Can anyone tell me a simple way to research a list of available manufacturers that produce quality header kits for our great vehicles that will not produce errors and require additional mod purchases to offset quirks?

I'm all ears . . . please . . .

2007 Grand Cherokee SRT8 black
2000 Ducati 996 Red biposto (modded out)
2000 YAMAHA R1
2005 Big Dog Ridgeback - Mono Metallic Silver
2003 Honda Oddysey Burgundy -hers
2006 Jayceman - (July 2 model) little boy (Jayce)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributing Member

Search button is your friend, but since I'm bored at work right now...

There are two choices of headers for the GC SRT8 right now. Kooks which you seem to already know about and Stainless Works.

Other thank Gotstroke? I don't think anyone else has a set of Stainless Works on their Jeep right now cause they're new to market. SW did the right thing by using a higher cell cat and locating the O2 relative to each, so it doesn't set a CEL. I'm pretty sure they'll make good power too (~20 to the wheels).

IMO SW is the way to go for headers right now. Bang for the buck there might other areas to consider, but again that just my opinion...
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Major Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Search button is your friend, but since I'm bored at work right now...

There are two choices of headers for the GC SRT8 right now. Kooks which you seem to already know about and Stainless Works.

Other thank Gotstroke? I don't think anyone else has a set of Stainless Works on their Jeep right now cause they're new to market. SW did the right thing by using a higher cell cat and locating the O2 relative to each, so it doesn't set a CEL. I'm pretty sure they'll make good power too (~20 to the wheels).

IMO SW is the way to go for headers right now. Bang for the buck there might other areas to consider, but again that just my opinion...

What he said^^^^

FASTmade Ediff & TCM switches, 170 Stant, B&B Catback, Dynamic Heads, FRE Hellfire Cam, Kooks LT's
ARIZONA SPEED & MARINE Vortech SuperCharger Kit, ASM Phenolic Spacers, UniChip,
B&G StageII, UniChip, Kenne Bell Boost a Pump, Walsh Racing Heat Exchanger.

MOD DIRECIONS
post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastSRT8GC
What he said^^^^
I was trying to figure out which set of headers is the best. I dont care about CEL that much since I have dashhawk. Obviously I would rather not have.

I want the best bang for the buck

post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Banned

As stated above, you have two choices other than going custom ($$$), Kooks and Stainless Works. I don't think you can beat the GP/Sale pricing for Stainless Works products right now (Southern Hotrod) and their quality is second to none.
I have over 700 miles on my Jeep since the full Stainless Works exhaust install and no CEL/MILs. In all fairness though, while the light is annoying, the headers will still make power regardless.
There should be a few threads on the first two pages of this forum with more info on the Stainless Works/Kooks systems.

Last edited by GotStroke?; 05-23-2007 at 01:26 PM.
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotStroke?
As stated above, you have two choices other than going custom ($$$), Kooks and Stainless Works. I don't think you can beat the GP/Sale pricing for Stainless Works products right now (Southern Hotrod) and their quality is second to none.
I have over 700 miles on my Jeep since the full Stainless Works exhaust install and no CEL/MILs. In all fairness though, while the light is annoying, the headers will still make power regardless.
There should be a few threads on the first two pages of this forum with more info on the Stainless Works/Kooks systems.

Are you making 369WHP after or before those mods in your sig?
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo412
Are you making 369WHP after or before those mods in your sig?

I made the same before the full exhaust as after on the same dyno. The Jeep had around 6 miles on it between fitment and the dyno, and it bellowed black smoke when strapped down. It was obvious it was way too rich and timing was being pulled. I've yet to redyno since I've put more miles on the system, but it no doubt feels faster at this point than after I initially got it back.
I plan on redynoing after the B&G or Diablo tune at which point I think the full value of the exhaust will be realized.
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Banned

Everything you wanted to know about the Stainless Works full exhaust: Stainless Works Full Exhaust

WOT clips in the last post.
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotStroke?
I made the same before the full exhaust as after on the same dyno. The Jeep had around 6 miles on it between fitment and the dyno, and it bellowed black smoke when strapped down. It was obvious it was way too rich and timing was being pulled. I've yet to redyno since I've put more miles on the system, but it no doubt feels faster at this point than after I initially got it back.
I plan on redynoing after the B&G or Diablo tune at which point I think the full value of the exhaust will be realized.

No CEL's yet? After I installed my headers it took a while to get the first CEL, do you have hi flow cats also?

Did your guy say that you would get a CEL or not?

2012 300 SRT
2010 Challenger SRT8: SOLD
2008 Charger SRT8: SOLD
2006 Jeep SRT8: SOLD
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno SRT8
No CEL's yet? After I installed my headers it took a while to get the first CEL, do you have hi flow cats also?

Did your guy say that you would get a CEL or not?

Tony,
Knock on wood, no CEL/MIL from either the full exhaust (with 3" metallic substrate cats) or the 176* T-stat. LOL, maybe my dashlight is burnt out
I don't think the SWorks guys knew for sure whether I'd trip one or not to be honest. The good news, as you know, is that the secondary 02 sensor MILs can't hurt performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode