corsa Vs borla - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

corsa Vs borla

i am new to the site and i just got my srt8 which is amazing... i want to put on an exhaust that sounds good and preforms well... the 2 i have in mind are borla and corsa and i dont know which is better in preformance... and if there is anything better on the market please let me know..... thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 09:57 AM

I dont think the dyno numbers are out on the borla yet. But so far, people are nto seeing much HP increase from just a catback. The corsa is just like the mopar and is the quietest from what I have read. The Borla that is out now is very very loud, like check your local laws loud. The corsa looks pretty much like stock, the borla comes w/ massive round tips and looks bad ass. If you dont mind loud, i say get the borla. Both systems sound awesome and probably perform equally, one is quite, one is loud. These two systems and the Stainless Works have been touted as the best on the market. So make your decision, take some pics and video, and share with us.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Elite Contributing Member

http://www.corsaperf.com/grand_cherokee.htm
The Mopar/Corsa is louder than stock at all RPM's. It's moderatly tame when easing into the throttle, but while accerating/WOT/downshifting it's an animal. It's not obnoxiuos/raspy, but very "tuned". I listened to all the sound clips & to me it actually seemed louder/better sounding than the others(no Borla at that time). I like the design/construction of the Coras too. Borla is the only system that appears to be constructed of similar quality to the Corsa. IMO. Mopar/Corsa gained ~20hp in other post. Any Borla sound clip yet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 GC (Laredo) SRT8 InfernoRed EntryLevelJeep
'70 Charger R/T (under construction forever)
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8
http://www.corsaperf.com/grand_cherokee.htm
The Mopar/Corsa is louder than stock at all RPM's. It's moderatly tame when easing into the throttle, but while accerating/WOT/downshifting it's an animal. It's not obnoxiuos/raspy, but very "tuned". I listened to all the sound clips & to me it actually seemed louder/better sounding than the others(no Borla at that time). I like the design/construction of the Coras too. Borla is the only system that appears to be constructed of similar quality to the Corsa. IMO. Mopar/Corsa gained ~20hp in other post. Any Borla sound clip yet?
While I don't have experience directly with the SRT8 exhaust, I do on ZR-1 Corvettes. I have tested five different systems on my car and have been involved with exhaust system development with an experienced local tuner. I have run a Corsa system for about 8 years now. The Corvette Corsa system is a straight through system (you can look through the mufflers and resonator) that uses a frequency cancellation method (know as Helmholtz resonators) for defeating droning or resonance. Other system's mufflers generally use baffles of some sort. While the CORSA is therefore quite loud at WOT, under light load it is quite tolerable and does not have any resonance or droning that some systems produce.
My knowledge of the testing hundreds of ZR-1s with all different exhaust systems is that the Corsa delivers the most horsepower increase on these cars of all systems, even with only 2-1/2" pipes. (ZR-1 engines need a little backpressure to make good power). On the ZR-1 the Corsa is good for about 15-17 HP at the crank. If you are planning to install it yourself, my personal experience is that while Borla may produce better systems than it did several years ago, I never found a Borla system that fit together easily, whereas Corsa went together perfectly every time.
Perhaps someone who has installed Corsas on the SRT8 could comment on whether the Corsa is a straight through system for the Jeep and how well they install.-Bob

2007 GC SRT8 Steel Blue Metallic
2008 BMW 335xi Sedan
1993 Corvette ZR-1, Sold
2001 Audi A6 4.2 Sport Sold
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 09:45 AM

Bob, from the looks of the mufflers/resonators, I believe they are of straight threw design. It took my dealer way too long to put the system on, I don't think the souped/lubed the rubber hangers. They did not complain about fit.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go~RillaWRX
But so far, people are nto seeing much HP increase from just a catback. The corsa is just like the mopar and is the quietest from what I have read. The Borla that is out now is very very loud, like check your local laws loud. The corsa looks pretty much like stock, the borla comes w/ massive round tips and looks bad ass. If you dont mind loud, i say get the borla. Both systems sound awesome and probably perform equally, one is quite, one is loud.
I have to disagree just two points. First of all their is a midrange gain with the Mopar/Corsa over the stock system. Depending on what you read their is a modest track gain as well. The system was designed by Mopar to work with the Hemi and is designed to support up to 800hp.

Second it does not even remotely resemble the stock system. It has an X-Pipe prior and the front mufflers are completely flow through as are the resonators.

I would say that the Mopar/Corsa would be quieter and actually has no in cabin drone.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 01:13 PM

If you want a better or different look, just buy the tips, any manufacturer as long as it is the same diameter. HP gains ??, none that you will feel by the seat of your pants. If interior resonance will bother you, you will be sick of an aftermarket system after 1/2 hour on the freeway at 70 mph.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 01:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gafettaia
If you want a better or different look, just buy the tips, any manufacturer as long as it is the same diameter. HP gains ??, none that you will feel by the seat of your pants. If interior resonance will bother you, you will be sick of an aftermarket system after 1/2 hour on the freeway at 70 mph.
Seeing as how the tips are welded on and not removeable, that would pose a small problem.

Also, most people buy cat-backs for sound, not looks.

Steve
'15 Black over Red Vapor WK2 SRT-8 (Borla Type-S axleback, resonator delete, & a trunk mat!)
SOLD '06 Silver WK1 SRT-8 (Borla Type-S, Predator, K&N, Eibachs, S6M Shocks, JBA A-arms, 275/315)
'06 White E55 (STAR dropped, iForged Imolas, Eurocharge tune, HE - 483whp)
'94 Black Mustang GT (cam bearings spun/scored...new HCI 331 stroker coming soon)

PITTZ said I am special
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 01:47 PM

I forgot to mention that you need to cut off the exhaust tips and have the new tips welded on. Any local muffler shop will do it. (We have two custom shops here in the area). Some shops also have their own tips that they sell. I purchased a Borla system for my Lightning and I did not like the tips so I bought new tips and had them installed.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributing Member

Love my Corsa. Installed it by myself on my garage floor. Sounds great with no interior drone. Feels like it gained a little power or maybe it's just the sound of it.

I've got a Borla stinger cat-back on my 03 and love the way it sounds. It is pretty loud, even with the stock midpipe.

Don't think you could go wrong with either one.

2007 Silver GC SRT8 Nav, DVD---Corsa cat-back, Jet stat, BWoody CAI, Johan tune, BWoody links, R1 rotors w/zech pads, Eibachs, STII's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8
2003 Cobra 460rwhp/470 rwtq
2013 Ford Raptor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode