Gsm Phenolic Spacer Works!!!!!! - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thumbs up Gsm Phenolic Spacer Works!!!!!!

I have quite a few modifications as one can see. I run the truck mostly at Irwindale which is only an 1/8 mile but that is all we have in Southern Cal. My Jeep typically runs 60's of 2.059-1.94........330's of 5.66 to 5.55......1/8 of 8.671 to 8.544.....mph 80.9 to 82.4. I typically run at night when temp get in the 60's and had a few 58's.

GSM installed the phenolic spacers yesterday and i was pretty skeptical. Today I went to Irwindale early and made my first pass at 5:13pm and the temp was 72 and sunny. My first pass was a 60' of 1.90....330 of 5.50...1/8 of 8.49...quite an improvement.....I immediately backed it up with a 1.91 / 5.47 / 8.45@82.76. NO WAY...from a spacer!!

For the final run I removed the factory reflashed TCM and reinstalled the GSM TCM.......the next run was 60'-1.87.....330-5.45......8.44@ 82.39.....the temp as it got later stayed at 70 degrees.

In summary, the freakiest, cheapest mod I have ever made resulted in quite a performance improvement. A new member from the OC site dropped by there (Hemi@last) and witnessed the improvement. In the box I could light up all four corners...i swear! He is my witness.

The GSM tranny box is also a keeper over the factory reflash. I can manually upshift and the shifts are way better than stock. The converter flashes higher and the shifts are right now. The tranny shifts at 6100-6200 vs 5800rpm and drops back to 4800rpm rather than the 4500rpm previously and bangs right up to 61-6200 and again shifts like clock work!! These TCM's are not being flashed in country and my E55 TCM is going to them as soon as I pull it out!

Again you cant lose with the Phenolic Spacers as far as bang for the dollar.
Dyno next Wednesday at XS Engineering where I did the back to back stock vs mopar exhaust. Although now I'll see what the Kooks and Phenolic Spacer do for me.

Last edited by generalconfusion; 03-30-2007 at 03:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 06:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: Gsm Phenolic Spacer Works!!!!!!

You're Sgt. Stanko right?

JT
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 06:29 AM
Elite Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalconfusion

GSM installed the phenolic spacers yesterday and i was pretty skeptical. Today I went to Irwindale early and made my first pass at 5:13pm and the temp was 72 and sunny. My first pass was a 60' of 1.90....330 of 5.50...1/8 of 8.49...quite an improvement.....I immediately backed it up with a 1.91 / 5.47 / 8.45@82.76. NO WAY...from a spacer!!
Hmmm, in over 100 runs, trying the spacer back to back I saw NO improvement other than a drastic reduction in the exterior intake temperature.

Quote:
For the final run I removed the factory reflashed TCM and reinstalled the GSM TCM.......the next run was 60'-1.87.....330-5.45......8.44@ 82.39.....the temp as it got later stayed at 70 degrees.
Can GSM reflash our VIN number on the '07 TCM so we can do a back to back swap like this? I may be interested in trying, even though I am skeptical.
Bill
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Major Contributing Member

After going to the track yesterday I can really see how these would make a difference. There is soooooo much heat transfer to the upper intake runners. We ran water over it just to cool it down. The motor is very prone to heat soak and adding these spacers that will stop the transfer or slow it down will help.

BUT.... By how much it a good question. We need a CF or Plastic Intake!!!

FASTmade Ediff & TCM switches, 170 Stant, B&B Catback, Dynamic Heads, FRE Hellfire Cam, Kooks LT's
ARIZONA SPEED & MARINE Vortech SuperCharger Kit, ASM Phenolic Spacers, UniChip,
B&G StageII, UniChip, Kenne Bell Boost a Pump, Walsh Racing Heat Exchanger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango
You're Sgt. Stanko right?
How did you figure it out?
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBill
Hmmm, in over 100 runs, trying the spacer back to back I saw NO improvement other than a drastic reduction in the exterior intake temperature.

Can GSM reflash our VIN number on the '07 TCM so we can do a back to back swap like this? I may be interested in trying, even though I am skeptical.
Bill
This is the only change to the vehicle since two weeks ago when i ran there and several members from the OC were there. My times have been pretty consistent at Irwindale.........unless the track just sunk 200'

There is NO doubt the manifold runs much cooler. Your truck did not react any different to the stall converter either.....mine did. The TCM now allows me to spin all four......it did it before but much more now.

As far as the flash......I had the original factory 06 flash last year and the vehicle did not experience the severe hesitation many others had...it did ocassionally hit the rev limiter and lay over....the recent factory TSB flash was MUCH better but you could no longer manual shift.....which I kind of liked. This GSM flash is like the factory 06 flash EXCEPT......I hit over 6000rpm (rather than 5800)at each shift and each shift is much firmer than either factory flashes. I have my factory TCM if i want to go back......but i dont think that is going to happen.

Last edited by generalconfusion; 03-30-2007 at 09:33 AM.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Senior Contributing Member

Quote:
I have quite a few modifications as one can see. I run the truck mostly at Irwindale which is only an 1/8 mile but that is all we have in Southern Cal. My Jeep typically runs 60's of 2.059-1.94........330's of 5.66 to 5.55......1/8 of 8.671 to 8.544.....mph 80.9 to 82.4. I typically run at night when temp get in the 60's and had a few 58's.

Hey General,

Thanks for posting your results. I've always followed your posts with interest and this one is no different. Typically you're pretty objective in your results, but this one seems a tad off. What I'm reading here is your 60' got better, which to me sounds like better track prep and not more HP. MPH is typically an indicator of more power, but from these results that hasn't changed much.

For me the spacer doesn't work as advertised (30 whp according to GSM), and is a gimmick. I've not seen anyone else post with any results, so I guess the jury is still out. If anything the marketing department at GSM (ha) has to be thrilled because such a controversial mod will only advertise the company more and generate more business...

To each their own.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Elite Contributing Member

Quote:
This is the only change to the vehicle since two weeks ago when i ran there and several members from the OC were there. My times have been pretty consistent at Irwindale.........unless the track just sunk 200'
Watch the sinking tracks! LOL.

Quote:
The TCM now allows me to spin all four......it did it before but much more now.
All four?????? Every other JGC spins diagonally, one front and one rear. Now I 'm confused General. I don't understand how a new TCM will now spin all four. If the '07 GSM TCM will do that, I would be willing to pay GSM TWICE the list price of the '07 TCM. It would save a ton of work with our differentials that we are trying to find some type of locking mechanism so that ALL four would have traction.
Confused Bill
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBill
Watch the sinking tracks! LOL.

All four?????? Every other JGC spins diagonally, one front and one rear. Now I 'm confused General. I don't understand how a new TCM will now spin all four. If the '07 GSM TCM will do that, I would be willing to pay GSM TWICE the list price of the '07 TCM. It would save a ton of work with our differentials that we are trying to find some type of locking mechanism so that ALL four would have traction.
Confused Bill
I checked.....its still at 575'!

Bill....I dont have to BS anybody.....if a product doesnt work I'll be the first to tell you.... however, I have the rubber stuck on all four sides to prove it!
You dont have to buy the TCM....I dont get a commision nor with my income do i need one. The TCM "according to GSM"......now dont flame the messenger!!!! Tells the torque converter to NOT lock up now I cant verify physically if it does or doesnt but the fact that I can torque spin the wheels with ease tells me something is allowing more power to the wheels.

Last edited by generalconfusion; 03-30-2007 at 12:08 PM.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Senior Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Hey General,

For me the spacer doesn't work as advertised (30 whp according to GSM), and is a gimmick. I've not seen anyone else post with any results, so I guess the jury is still out. If anything the marketing department at GSM (ha) has to be thrilled because such a controversial mod will only advertise the company more and generate more business...

To each their own.
The tests that GSM did on the dyno were done at operating temps. In other words they let the engine idle until it reached 200 + degrees, and then they did the dyno runs. Under these conditions, I do think the spacer makes a difference.

As for why Bill didn't see any difference, I think it may have to do with the fact that he has the fan and themostat mods, which kept the 6.1 from heat soaking.. I bet if he didn't have the two above mentioned mods, the spacer would have made a difference, especially on runs in which the engine was up to operating temps.

JMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode