Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Volant air intake opinion?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  AlexT 
#1 ·
I was wondering what you guys think of the volant,the best air intake IMO after reading all the threads is the DUB only because it still utilzes the lower air scoop.I like the volant because it keeps all the engine heat out and its sealed and still looks factory I think it utilzes lower scoop or has its own not sure.The plastic vs metal tube attracting the heat thats another thought.I would appreciate if anyone has the volant to give ther opinion on it and send some pics of the install and lower part of the air intake.Or maybe someone can steer me in a different direction .Thanks (and no superchargers LOL).

#4 ·
I was about to supercharge, lower, re-exhaust, and re-brake my 04 Denali, but the wife insisted on getting a new car instead. How do you like the Whipple in the Denali?

#7 ·
The gains with the vast majority of CAI/FIPK's are all fairly similar. The differences between metal and synthetic tubes have been calculated many times, and the difference isn't anything noticeable. Pick the one you think looks the coolest, or best for your style, and go with it. They may pick you up a few ponies, but the real difference with CAI's that people LOVE, is the sound you get.

#8 ·
ge2 said:
The gains with the vast majority of CAI/FIPK's are all fairly similar. The differences between metal and synthetic tubes have been calculated many times, and the difference isn't anything noticeable. Pick the one you think looks the coolest, or best for your style, and go with it. They may pick you up a few ponies, but the real difference with CAI's that people LOVE, is the sound you get.
I agree, the difference in HP is probably not great from one to another, I like the Volant because of the looks, the filter is sealed from the under hood heat and the option of bottom "ram air". I am looking into track rental at Rockingham to do an actual back to back test on the "ram air". It is hard to test something like that on a typical Saturday at the track due to time constraints.
Bill

#10 ·
ge2 said:
:) I like the Volant too. I'm just waiting for mine to get here, and the GSM one will be yanked.
Totally agree with above three posts. Esthetics and sound as perceived by the individual are the "keep it" factors imho. Any gains or significant differences are minimal at best. So small in my opinion, (even if you gain 6-12 hp as some report) that it will be offset by differences in launch road conditions etc., each time anyway.

Personally working on my third now, DubAir, which so far I like best. Anyone want a good deal on a Mopar or GSM, pm me. Uumm? Like the features of the Volant also....could one be in my future? What the Hell, just more $$$$$.

#11 ·
teda said:
Totally agree with above three posts. Esthetics and sound as perceived by the individual are the "keep it" factors imho. Any gains or significant differences are minimal at best. So small in my opinion, (even if you gain 6-12 hp as some report) that it will be offset by differences in launch road conditions etc., each time anyway.

Personally working on my third now, DubAir, which so far I like best. Anyone want a good deal on a Mopar or GSM, pm me. Uumm? Like the features of the Volant also....could one be in my future? What the Hell, just more $$$$$.
Save the money and get a drop in K&N filter. I tried the GSM and now I am using a drop in.

#12 ·
z28plus said:
Save the money and get a drop in K&N filter. I tried the GSM and now I am using a drop in.
Money is always relative to all our decisions....or at least in many cases it should be. However, it is up to the individual and how they decide to pi** away what they themselves consider to be "disposable" income.

I would venture to say that most of us who drop mucho dollars on our rides are used to having garages full of lots of stuff we have installed and removed. And I mean everything from $2000 heads, $1200 exhausts, to $300intakes to $70 antennas etc., etc. Some stuff we like, some stuff throws cels, some stuff breaks welds, and on and on. You get the drift. It will never end.

As for mods, including intakes.....to me it is perceived value, actual results, the "I like it factor" and bang (or bling) for the buck, and whether it floats your boat.

Practically first thing I've done for years on every new vehicle is drop in a K&N. Difficult to fault them. Probably a good choice for many.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.