Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Photos of Volant Intake with lower brake scoop

13K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  Muellge 
#1 ·
Attached are the photos for the lower ram air for the new Volant CAI. I ordered the 3 parts (4" * 4" elbow, 4" polished tube, 4" * 3.5" coupler) from SFX.

The biggest mod was cutting off most of the stock air box mounting bracket (with the rubber grommet) to allow for the 4" tube to extend from the 90 degree elbow up to the bottom of the Volant box with the existing 3.5" inlet. This bracket is not used with the Volant. My brake snorkel was previously shortened when I modified the stock box by connecting it with the 4" flex dryer vent tubing to the brake snorkel.

I did drill and install a screw in the plastic factory grill snorkel to the front of the Volant air box as it was a bit of a sloppy fit.

Oh yeah, I ran a 12.93 at Rockingham yesterday with this setup. My previous best with the '07 was 13.17....don't get your hopes up too much as I also changed from the original thermostat to a 180 Stant (p/n 14248). I believe that the thermostat change with a fan mod (NOT GSM) made the greatest difference. I will post the slips on another link.
Bill

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
gbusy1906 said:
Bill, what other mods do you have and what was your 60ft and mph when you ran the 13.17 and 12.93. Great idea on the ram air, I like it.
Thanks, pretty clean, I thought. I hooked up my laptop with the scantool software that lets you monitor different sensors and the IAT read from 0 to + 2 degrees hotter than the ambient air whether sitting or moving...not too bad.
1.756 for the 60ft.
The performance mods I have are the Volant CAI with front and bottom ram air, Mopar catback, Fan mod, 180 thermostat only.
Bill

#10 ·
"Dude you rock! Very nice mod man. Question though....What effect does this have on cooling the brakes now that you've circumvented it as a ram air?"

If I were road racing (never) or on a circle track (never) I sure would never do this or change my pads. After stopping at the strip from 104 mph the brakes are barely warm. When I installed the new drilled and slotted rotors with the Zeckhausen pads, I never lost pedal after 10 repeated fast slow downs from 70 mph to 10 mph. Therefore I am not overly concerned with this mod.
Bill

#11 ·
Bill, Nice times. I knew you could get there. BTW, Nice air box with accessories, me likey!!

#12 ·
gculver,
The box worked out alot better than I had envisioned! The worst fit was the Volant to stock factory front scoop.

What do you know about the 170 thermostat, if you let the Hemi warm up? Not into codes and resets. You were onto something if you read the other site and some of the problems associated with the cams that are pretty low on vacuum at idle. I am going to be pretty careful on my cam selection if at all.
Bill

Send me a pm about how you cut your bump stops.
Bill

#13 ·
BuilderBill said:
Thanks, pretty clean, I thought. I hooked up my laptop with the scantool software that lets you monitor different sensors and the IAT read from 0 to + 2 degrees hotter than the ambient air whether sitting or moving...not too bad.
1.756 for the 60ft.
The performance mods I have are the Volant CAI with front and bottom ram air, Mopar catback, Fan mod, 180 thermostat only.
Bill
0 - 4 is actually pretty good compared to the stock set up

#15 ·
What was your mph before and after you did these mods. After looking at the pics seems like the system could be restrictive once the lip is installed. Plus all those bends theres know way there's any Ram air affect going on. Ram air only helps at high speeds and you would need a huge air duct up front to catch the air not a 4 inch hole. But seems like something is working your times are great.

BuilderBill said:
Attached are the photos for the lower ram air for the new Volant CAI. I ordered the 3 parts (4" * 4" elbow, 4" polished tube, 4" * 3.5" coupler) from SFX.

The biggest mod was cutting off most of the stock air box mounting bracket (with the rubber grommet) to allow for the 4" tube to extend from the 90 degree elbow up to the bottom of the Volant box with the existing 3.5" inlet. This bracket is not used with the Volant. My brake snorkel was previously shortened when I modified the stock box by connecting it with the 4" flex dryer vent tubing to the brake snorkel.

I did drill and install a screw in the plastic factory grill snorkel to the front of the Volant air box as it was a bit of a sloppy fit.

Oh yeah, I ran a 12.93 at Rockingham yesterday with this setup. My previous best with the '07 was 13.17....don't get your hopes up too much as I also changed from the original thermostat to a 180 Stant (p/n 14248). I believe that the thermostat change with a fan mod (NOT GSM) made the greatest difference. I will post the slips on another link.
Bill

#16 ·
GRNENVY said:
What was your mph before and after you did these mods. After looking at the pics seems like the system could be restrictive once the lip is installed. Plus all those bends theres know way there's any Ram air affect going on. Ram air only helps at high speeds and you would need a huge air duct up front to catch the air not a 4 inch hole. But seems like something is working your times are great.
GRNENVY,
Before best was 102.52 mph now 103.50 mph...something added power. The only way to know for sure is to may a couple of runs with the lower scoop blocked off, possibly taping across the grill or I am open to any other suggestions.
Bill

#17 · (Edited)
Bill, compare humidity and barometric pressure from the 2 days, baro affects the MAP sensor and hense the ECM calculation of the mass/density of air and A/F ratios. 2-3 tenths could easily be gained or lost depending. Could be your answer.

#18 ·
gculver said:
Bill, compare humidity and barometric pressure from the 2 days, baro affects the MAP sensor and hense the ECM calculation of the mass/density of air and A/F ratios. 2-3 tenths could easily be gained or lost depending. Could be your answer.
I will research that.
I broke the damn little plastic piece off the IAT sensor by accident (I did order a new one), don't think it caused any problem since by scantool software on the laptop read the inlet temp within +/- 2 degrees of ambient air always.
Would you have the P/N for the 170 Stant thermostat?
Bill

#20 ·
Bill, I do not, go to the LX board and look there under knowledge base.!! Should find It-more srt8 lx cars run the 170* than do the jeeps.

#24 ·
whipple1 said:
Hey Bill ,thankyou for all the pics they look great,it is great to see quality work out there good to see you put imagination into before putting it in,Thats exactly what im looking for:D Thanks again for your time.
Thats the great thing about this Forum in particular, people working together so each one of us does not have to "reinvent the wheel". The knowledge base is huge and when a problem arises, we realize that most likely we are not alone.
Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.